Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56222
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 11:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The 8th - Repealed!
Posted By: Padraig
Subject: The 8th - Repealed!
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:50pm
I'm curious to see how the users of YBIG will vote in the upcoming referendum on repealing the 8th amendment.

I will definitely be voting yes for a number of reasons and see it as another important milestone in the separation of church and state in our country.

Replies:
Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:58pm
Voting repeal.

It doesn’t need to be a black and white issue. People can also vote with their conscience clear, as this is removing what is a constitutional anomaly which was designed to keep all parties happy, when in fact it failed to do that, while making the situation infinitely more complex. Voting for repeal is not the same same as voting for abortion.

I think the primary benefit that will come from it is the freedom it will give the physician to act in the best interest of their patient without fear of prosecution, or retribution for what would be a medically sound decision. Beyond that is my own views on matters of choice and conscience, which are personal, and are no business of mine.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:06pm
Can't vote in this poll but I will be voting yes in the referendum.

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: Mr Maroon
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:12pm
I'll certainly be voting yes.

I'd defy anyone to read the stories of people effected by the 8th (such as those on the "In Her Shoes" Facebook page) and not vote for Repeal. It's not about being pro- or anti-abortion. I don't think anyone is pro-abortions. It's about allowing pregnant people to receive safe healthcare in their own country.

The 8th ammendment isn't stopping Irish people from having abortions. Every day at least 12 women and girls from Ireland have an abortion. It's only adding unnecessary suffering in already difficult circumstances by forcing them abroad or forcing them to order pills online and have abortions at home without the appropiate medical aftercare. If there are complications after either coming home from the UK or after taking pills at home, women are faced with the threat of 14 years in jail if they go to their doctor.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Voting repeal.

It doesn’t need to be a black and white issue. People can also vote with their conscience clear, as this is removing what is a constitutional anomaly which was designed to keep all parties happy, when in fact it failed to do that, while making the situation infinitely more complex. Voting for repeal is not the same same as voting for abortion.

I think the primary benefit that will come from it is the freedom it will give the physician to act in the best interest of their patient without fear of prosecution, or retribution for what would be a medically sound decision. Beyond that is my own views on matters of choice and conscience, which are personal, and are no business of mine.

Agreed, and this in particular is a very important point. The 8th amendment has cost women's lives.

@ringerbell, not sure why you couldn't vote in it, sorry about that!

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:43pm
Will absolutely be voting to repeal. While I'm not the biggest fan of abortion myself, I fully believe that people should have the option, especially those in real need of it

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Will absolutely be voting to repeal. While I'm not the biggest fan of abortion myself, I fully believe that people should have the option, especially those in real need of it
I don't know about being a fan of abortion, the more people I meet the more I think it should be compulsory.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:46pm

This is something I think people are commonly mistaken about. Being pro-choice does not necessarily make one 'pro-abortion', whatever that means.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don't know about being a fan of abortion, the more people I meet the more I think it should be compulsory.

I'm still hoping natural selection will come good eventually on a grand scale.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 6:17am
Can’t vote but would vote repeal

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:11am
100% Yes Approve

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:52am
Absolutely yes.

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:22am
I see the people who voted no above haven't been brave enough to post as to their reasoning why, pity really.

I can't vote on this but am 100% voting repeal the 8th.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I see the people who voted no above haven't been brave enough to post as to their reasoning why, pity really.

Think that's gonna be a theme of this, the "silent no". Same as the marriage equality referendum, the way it's being portrayed at the moment is you're either a "Repealer" or a "Religious wacko". Would genuinely love to hear some of the thoughts of the "no" voters.

I'll be voting Yes as I believe doctors/physicians should have the power to do what they think is right for any patient.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
I'll be voting yes. Abortion is already a reality in Ireland. the only difference is it is unsafe and illegal at present. Every woman who wants to abort has her own reasons for doing so and whether those are satisfactory reasons are a matter for her and her alone to consider. It is not the place of the State, and much less the church, to moralise or make value judgments on that. I believe our system as it is is failing women, and whatever anyone's opinion on abortion is, i feel that a provision banning it has no place in the foundation document of our state.

The issue with contentious referenda such as this in Ireland is that the more reasoned middle ground voters don't have their voices heard. extreme and polarising views are the ones that sell papers and attract viewers. Ultimately it will descend into a vicious and dirty name calling exercise. I am also not at all confident that the referendum will be passed.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:16am
annoyed I can't vote in the referendum, restricted to those who have been living abroad less than 18 months. i'll be moving back to Dublin in the coming year, so it is something that could affect me in the coming years. would be a definite yes too

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:17am

i think silly comments like this is why many silent "no" voters wont engage in a debate...

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
I am sure the church would be happy to carry on digging holes in a backyard in Tuam and tell the world it never happened . CensoredCensoredCensored

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

i think silly comments like this is why many silent "no" voters wont engage in a debate...

I honestly cannot see how you could vote no and not be a 'wacko' of some sort. Can anybody explain to me how they could rationalise voting no?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:00am

They're entitled to take the 5th LOL

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:02am
http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2018/03/28/news/tyrone-gaa-manger-mickey-harte-backs-no-vote-ahead-of-abortion-referendum-in-republic-1289344/content.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2018/03/28/news/tyrone-gaa-manger-mickey-harte-backs-no-vote-ahead-of-abortion-referendum-in-republic-1289344/content.html

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:06am
Can't read the full article but I assume it can be summed up as 'GAA man in being backwards shocker'.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:06am

I honestly cannot see how you could vote no and not be a 'wacko' of some sort. Can anybody explain to me how they could rationalise voting no?

do you really not understand why someone would choose not engage with this??? 

additionally, how could you debate this issue with someone who has f*** the pope in their signature.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

They're entitled to take the 5th LOL

LOL

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:11am
Surely people can put forward their point of view, if it's reasonable. The latter is presumably the problem.

My views on the Vatican PLC are clear and with very good reason. I think it is absolutely sickening that the leader of an organisation that caused so much pain and suffering in Ireland, a man who himself covered up sexual abuse, can be greeted by half a million people worshipping him

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:19am

additionally, how could you debate this issue with someone who has f*** the pope in their signature.

Dunno why but this comment prompted me to enjoy some more of this excellent movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHJrz6Sk7U&t=99s" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHJrz6Sk7U&t=99s

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:19am

Can you explain why you think my comment is silly?

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:24am
I will vote yes but I do think there should be restrictions.

In cases where the child or mother's lives are in danger, in cases of rape/incest etc it 100% gets my backing.

But I don't agree in abortions in cases where a woman / couple feel they just don't want to have a baby and have it aborted, if people are stupid enough to not practice safe sex then they shouldn't be allowed have an abortion in my opinion, I know a few people that have done this and think it's a disgrace.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

But I don't agree in abortions in cases where a woman / couple feel they just don't want to have a baby and have it aborted, if people are stupid enough to not practice safe sex then they shouldn't be allowed have an abortion in my opinion, I know a few people that have done this and think it's a disgrace.
Yeah that's the only thing that's making me question it really.

I suppose the counter is that:
1. Those people travel to England anyway so you're just removing a journey
2. I imagine the abortion procedure is fairly nasty so it's not like people are going to use this as a contraceptive
3. Major generalization here, but I'd imagine some of the people who get pregnant young by accident and would now avail of abortion are probably from disadvantaged backgrounds, the types whose kids will end up "having a tough upbringing" and ending up in front of a judge at some point with 300+ convictions on their record. It might help with a bit of natural selection.

I'm sure there's a nicer way of saying that last point.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:30am

I will vote yes but I do think there should be restrictions.

In cases where the child or mother's lives are in danger, in cases of rape/incest etc it 100% gets my backing.

100% agree

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Michael O'Leary will be voting No then.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:36am

because your targeting people who have voted no by immediately questioning their "bravery" - ffs  are you unable to see how can could be taken as antagonistic. 

People might vote in a way you don't like for a number of reasons.  Healthy debate is good. in fact it should be your ultimate aim if you want to change their opinion on the question. calling them wacko's doesn't encourage debate. this comment is not just about the abortion question. it's about all debate. I've probably been guilty of this myself. the brexit referendum was a classic example of this. If you voted leave you were a racist so many leave voters kept quiet, and still voted leave...

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:40am
But there were many reasons to vote leave, rightly or wrongly. The problem with that campaign, on both sides, was that it became about immigration.
I still haven't heard a genuine reason for voting no and people who may be leaning towards voting no are refusing to give a reason because they are afraid, before expressing them, that their views will be sneered at, which suggests that those views are irrational.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:42am

But there were many reasons to vote leave, rightly or wrongly. The problem with that campaign, on both sides, was that it became about immigration.
I still haven't heard a genuine reason for voting no and people who may be leaning towards voting no are refusing to give a reason because they are afraid, before expressing them, that their views will be sneered at, which suggests that those views are irrational.

They might be afraid of giving a reason because before they have had a chance to do so, they are already being labelled as wackos - That's the point !

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

They might be afraid of giving a reason because before they have had a chance to do so, they are already being labelled as wackos - That's the point !

thank you.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:44am

It is catch 22 then! The reason they are being so labelled is for not giving a reason! They are essentially labelling themselves.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:47am

It is catch 22 then! The reason they are being so labelled is for not giving a reason! They are essentially labelling themselves.

Not the case here - You labelled them as wackos and then asked for the reason. Not the other way around.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:49am
Mickey Harte's reasoning:

He said: “I’ve always felt people in Ireland are very good at supporting each other, looking out for the most vulnerable in society and nobody’s more vulnerable than the unborn. So I’m encouraging you to vote no to save the 8th amendment. The alternative kills babies and wounds the mother. You know what the right choice is.”

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:50am
All I have asked for is a genuine reason and what I have got is a cop out.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:50am
This is a more nuanced situation, as it ultimately relates to the very emotive issue of abortion. As such, the battle lines should be drawn away from that, and actually focussed on what it is, a constitutional amendment to repeal a previous amendment which has given rise to confusion, uncertainty, and personal damage. This is why I would love the debate to be had between lawyers, doctors, pervious services users, international experts, and human rights personnel. Those with no expertise, but emotional and political skin in the game are what makes this a very difficult situation, which is going to result in serious bad faith between both sides, huge amounts of mud slinging, and very emotive arguments, which will tug at the public hearts, but not actually progress the debate.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He said: “I’ve always felt people in Ireland are very good at supporting each other, looking out for the most vulnerable in society and nobody’s more vulnerable than the unborn. So I’m encouraging you to vote no to save the 8th amendment. The alternative kills babies and wounds the mother. You know what the right choice is.”

We have always had a great support system here alright. Those Magdalene laundries were super. Good shout Mickey

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:52am

it's a highly emotive subject PM. people will quote no for reasons that is not just church led moral doctrine. 

for the record i cant vote as i have lived in the uk for most of my life. if i could vote i would find it hard to vote yes. incidentally i would have voted yes for introducing same sex marriage.

my "difficultly" in voting yes in the abortion question - if i could vote - is down to personal experience. having tried for years to have a baby and experiencing utter heartbreak of a m/c i find terminating a life difficult to stomach - to even think about. for me it's not about what the pope says. that's not to say i would 100% vote "no" - but it means that i find the debate difficult for different reasons. 

it's not a black and white question. 

i would argue welcoming debate is better than attacking people. 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:02pm

because your targeting people who have voted no by immediately questioning their "bravery" - ffs  are you unable to see how can could be taken as antagonistic. 

People might vote in a way you don't like for a number of reasons.  Healthy debate is good. in fact it should be your ultimate aim if you want to change their opinion on the question. calling them wacko's doesn't encourage debate. this comment is not just about the abortion question. it's about all debate. I've probably been guilty of this myself. the brexit referendum was a classic example of this. If you voted leave you were a racist so many leave voters kept quiet, and still voted leave...

I didn't call them wackos, I simply stated that people who are voting no aren't brave enough to validate their reasons as to why on here and it's pretty apparent why they won't because the no campaign is just full of untruths and shock, mostly fake, imagery, that's pretty much all they have, so they won't post on here why they're voting no.

I don't see how I'm antagonising anyone. If I was voting no I'd have the balls to be able to post up why I'm voting no at least.

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:03pm
First of all I'm a nordy so my opinion doesn't count, I'm also a committed secularist and atheist I'm no Catholic wacko..but the whole abolition thing sits uneasy with me. Looking at the termination figures from the scandavian countries for fetuses with downs syndrome it reeks of eugenics.
There's A lot to be said for taking responsibility for your behaviour the elephant in the room being
all abortions from my peer group where due to one night stands etc. I believe it will pass because it facilitates the lads getting a no consequences ride and woman more control over there bodies. Kind of win-win. Now I'm pro choice but not for terminations on demand. Which is where we will be at in 15 years

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:06pm
Why do people think repealing the 8th will be used as some sort of contraceptive?

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:10pm
Can't vote in this, but if I lived in the south I would vote repeal.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:10pm

Why do people think repealing the 8th will be used as some sort of contraceptive?

Its the fact that both sides of the debate, out of the traps have made this about abortion, as opposed to what it should be debated as.

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

We have always had a great support system here alright. Those Magdalene laundries were super. Good shout Mickey

Your comment just proves the point why people looking at voting no won't or are unlikely to engage in debate.

Repealing the 8th will bring in unrestricted abortion starting off with the proposed 12 weeks and then no doubt becoming more liberal.

Am I religious No

Do I believe in Abortion - no I am strongly anti

Have I a right to tell others how to live - No

Will I vote yes - probably will be out of the country but I voted in favour of the 8th at the time as I believed it was right, now I would vote to repeal, but would respect other peoples views that are different to mine.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Your comment just proves the point why people looking at voting no won't or are unlikely to engage in debate.

Repealing the 8th will bring in unrestricted abortion starting off with the proposed 12 weeks and then no doubt becoming more liberal.

Am I religious No

Will I vote yes - probably will be out of the country but I voted in favour of the 8th at the time as I believed it was right, now I would vote to repeal, but would respect other peoples views that are different to mine.

Hang on a second, what support was Mickey referring to?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:19pm

it's a highly emotive subject PM. people will quote no for reasons that is not just church led moral doctrine. 

for the record i cant vote as i have lived in the uk for most of my life. if i could vote i would find it hard to vote yes. incidentally i would have voted yes for introducing same sex marriage.

my "difficultly" in voting yes in the abortion question - if i could vote - is down to personal experience. having tried for years to have a baby and experiencing utter heartbreak of a m/c i find terminating a life difficult to stomach - to even think about. for me it's not about what the pope says. that's not to say i would 100% vote "no" - but it means that i find the debate difficult for different reasons. 

it's not a black and white question. 

i would argue welcoming debate is better than attacking people. 
Fair play for giving your reasons but I believe personal choice should be kept out of it. I have no idea how I would feel if my partner was pregnant and didn't want to keep it, ideologically I feel it would be her decision more than mine, but that is irrelevant to this vote, which, as HF rightly said, is about amending the constitution correctly and hopefully, in my opinion, bringing it in line with international human rights recommendations.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:24pm

Am I religious No

This is just utter nonsense being peddled by the NO side. 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
These is absolutely no suggestion that any legislation for abortion would go beyond 12 weeks, which is in line with the vast majority of Europe. Anybody who knows a thing or two about pregnancy will know that 12 weeks is actually a very small window, as pregnancy actually is counted almost 4 weeks before conception/implantation etc occurs, which limits the window to make any decision to 6-8 weeks. Beyond that, it will be for the physician to make a call based on the mother's individual medical condition. There is no reason to believe that any post referendum legislation would go beyond the European norm, or reflect the UK.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm

2. I imagine the abortion procedure is fairly nasty so it's not like people are going to use this as a contraceptive
3. Major generalization here, but I'd imagine some of the people who get pregnant young by accident and would now avail of abortion are probably from disadvantaged backgrounds, the types whose kids will end up "having a tough upbringing" and ending up in front of a judge at some point with 300+ convictions on their record. It might help with a bit of natural selection.

I'm sure there's a nicer way of saying that last point.
Confused I know a few who don't fit that narrative and had an abortion in England 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm
Yeah I think the "start" date for the twelve weeks is usually the start of the previous cycle. Conception tends to be about two weeks after that and implantation a few days again after that. The first visible indication is about four weeks after the start of the previous cycle (i.e. the missed period) so it's eight weeks from then. That's my understanding on it.

However, and this does need to be clear, the constitutional amendment will not contain the twelve week limit. The amendment will simply say that the Oireachtas may legislate for termination of pregnancy.

The current wording is as follows:

"The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.
This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel between the State and another state.
This subsection shall not limit freedom to obtain or make available, in the State, subject to such conditions as may be laid down by law, information relating to services lawfully available in another state."

The proposed new wording is simply:

"Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy."

That is to replace all of the above.

The Oireachtas will have the power and ability to legislate on the issue of termination. The recent Supreme Court decision is that the only rights "the unborn" (using the wording of the constitution) has are those specified above: if that is repealed, effectively the unborn will lose any rights they had under the Constitution.

Now, all of that being the case, the Government have decided that they are going to pass a bill which allows for termination without reason in the first twelve weeks. However, that limit will be a legal limit only, not a constitutional limit. It would, conceivably, be open to the Oireachtas to legislate for the termination of pregnancy right up until the end of pregnancy, or possibly arguably until the threshold of viability. It is not clear what rights a viable child in the womb would have - that may require addressing in future. I am not sure if the recent decision addressed that. Plus, Supreme Court decisions can be revisited in future cases, in certain circumstances, particularly where there are constitutional issues.

Like any referendum on this issue, there is no perfect legal answer and sometimes it is better to leave things to the Oireachtas and the courts rather than trying to be prescriptive in the Constitution. This is clearly an issue where opinions change from generation to generation and the Constitution should not be a periodical, so it is likely best left out of the Constitution. I'll be voting repeal but it needs to be clear what the outcome is - that the Oireachtas are the ones with the power to legislate for termination of pregnancy, not that the Constitution will stipulate that it's grand for the first twelve weeks or in other specified circumstances.

-------------

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm

Am I religious No

This is just utter nonsense being peddled by the NO side. 

Your opinion

I would not class myself as been on the No side

I do believe that this will happen

Will it make me vote No?   No

Why is it utter nonsense - how can you say what will or won't happen in the future

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:04pm
It’s nonsense because it’s not what you’re being asked to vote on.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:04pm

Your opinion

I would not class myself as been on the No side

I do believe that this will happen

Will it make me vote No?   No

Why is it utter nonsense - how can you say what will or won't happen in the future

Sorry to jump in on this. I agree that the "thin edge of the wedge" ought to be considered when discussing constitutional and legal matters. It is not tin foil hat territory, or should it be ignored as an inconvenient truth.

However, Ireland will undoubtedly act within the confines of general European practice, which will give rise to 12 weeks as the cut off point. I would also suspect this will be a tighter vote, which will be used, politically, as indicative of a willingness to liberalise and vest power of autonomy in medical professionals and their patients, but not to provide for an unusually liberalised system, and political will in a generally conservative country will act as a valve on future change, at least in the medium term.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:06pm
As I've said above, the twelve week limit is not going in the Constitution. The "thin end of the wedge" argument is not defeated by the wording of the proposed amendment, no matter how it might otherwise be defeated.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

As I've said above, the twelve week limit is not going in the Constitution. The "thin end of the wedge" argument is not defeated by the wording of the proposed amendment, no matter how it might otherwise be defeated.

I never claimed it would form part of the amendment. And it will be up to the Oireachtas as to how the actually system will be devised, and implemented. The thin edge issue for me has become more relevant given the flurry of constitutional activity that the previous government engaged in, which has long term negative potentials, which needed to be illustrated, and taken on board.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:12pm
Aren't they looking to put a 75% majority vote for the 12 weeks to be amended in any way in the future? Did I hear that correctly somewhere?

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:14pm

Aren't they looking to put a 75% majority vote for the 12 weeks to be amended in any way in the future? Did I hear that correctly somewhere?

I think that was what was being proposed. But that would almost certainly be unconstitutional, as it would bind future governments.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:14pm

You did, until Coveney was given a basic lesson in constitutional democracy and told that was bollocks.

Any Act of the Oireachtas has to be capable of being repealed by the Oireachtas by simple majority of the Oireachtas. Like they couldn't pass an Act that said "any future repeal of this act has to be unanimous". It's a basic constitutional norm.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:32pm
It's a funny one really isn't it. Essentially we're being asked do we want:

a. Law to stay as it is
b. Law to change to something else (but we won't tell you yet what that is)

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You did, until Coveney was given a basic lesson in constitutional democracy and told that was bollocks.

Any Act of the Oireachtas has to be capable of being repealed by the Oireachtas by simple majority of the Oireachtas. Like they couldn't pass an Act that said "any future repeal of this act has to be unanimous". It's a basic constitutional norm.
That was Simon Harris wasn't it?

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-rules-out-coveney-s-two-third-majority-plan-on-abortion-1.3441754" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-rules-out-coveney-s-two-third-majority-plan-on-abortion-1.3441754

-------------

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:53pm
A yes for me. The current constitution doesn't work and discriminates. Those with the resources (financial, access, support) to go through with an abortion for the wide spectrum of reasons are able to do so. Those who don't have the resources can't - financial, fear, access.

I try to avoid the emotive side but the situation of parents bringing feotuses home for burial in car boots or vacuum packed is horrific.

Religious Faith should not be in the debate.

Personal pain not been able to have children I have great sympathy for but I don't think is relevant.

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
Just as I was thinking that our great glorious leader had been quite quiet on the issue...

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/03/28/news/tyrone-gaa-manger-mickey-harte-backs-no-vote-ahead-of-abortion-referendum-in-republic-1289344/" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/03/28/news/tyrone-gaa-manger-mickey-harte-backs-no-vote-ahead-of-abortion-referendum-in-republic-1289344/

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

A yes for me. The current constitution doesn't work and discriminates. Those with the resources (financial, access, support) to go through with an abortion for the wide spectrum of reasons are able to do so. Those who don't have the resources can't - financial, fear, access.

I try to avoid the emotive side but the situation of parents bringing feotuses home for burial in car boots or vacuum packed is horrific.

Personal pain not been able to have children I have great sympathy for but I don't think is relevant.
In one.

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:33pm

In one.

Agree. Indeed, the areas where "Save the 8th" campaign most heavily are those that are most disadvantaged. they have numerous ads in the north inner city but you dont see many in Ballsbridge. The women in these areas are precisely the ones who are more likely to get trapped by the amendment - those who do not have the means to travel. It is insidious campaigning. the 'pro-life' side are not bothering targeting those who live in areas that would imply a better standard of living conditions. they would rather target the more vulnerable with their fearmongering. 

Put it this way. With this debate at the forefront of society a number of pressure groups have sprung up to 'save the 8th' with the argument usually being some variant of the idea that "all life is precious". If we take them at face value and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not being disingenuous here - why are these groups not staging marches pressuring the government to provide socioeconomic guarantees in the constitution; increased benefits for single mothers in poor areas, more children's hospitals and so on if they are so concerned about the preciousness of the life of the child? The reason for that is that it's not that these people are pro-life - that would suggest they give a f**k what happens to the child after it is born. They are pro-birth and nothing more. Religious dogma and a desire to retain the last bastion of theocratic control in Ireland drives these particular groups rather than the wellbeing of the child. 

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:37pm
The uk have recently as last week and said that due to increased numbers that they will start refusing Irish patients and prioritising their oen patients

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Agree. Indeed, the areas where "Save the 8th" campaign most heavily are those that are most disadvantaged. they have numerous ads in the north inner city but you dont see many in Ballsbridge. The women in these areas are precisely the ones who are more likely to get trapped by the amendment - those who do not have the means to travel. It is insidious campaigning. the 'pro-life' side are not bothering targeting those who live in areas that would imply a better standard of living conditions. they would rather target the more vulnerable with their fearmongering.

Campaigns like this will always focus their attention on where they are likely to get most traction. The anti-EU crowd were highly focussed on that area too, with their "They Died for Your Freedom" style argument, which buys into the allegedly nationalistic and Republican tendencies in socio-economically deprived areas. The same applies to candidates who are further away from the centre left and right, who know full well there is little point focussing their attention on Dublin South, but looking for traction in places like South-Central, and South West.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:14pm

Agreed.

I wonder if the church wasn't involved if there'd be much opposition to this.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:21pm

Agreed.

I wonder if the church wasn't involved if there'd be much opposition to this.

There are agents of the Church, who are often more fire and brimstone than the church themselves, and often have the least compassion and concern. You could take the Church out of the debate, and there would still be a lay community well capable of taking up the torch. There would also be the conservative movement who would default oppose repeal on an ideological basis. I also think that there will be the silent no voter, whose only act in this whole saga will be to vote no. Politicians will also vote based on their constituency, and that has given rise to TDs voting against even holding a referendum, let alone actually voting to repeal the amendment.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:32pm

That Ronan Mullen fella freaks me out. He's about as progressive as the more fundamentalist members of the Taliban. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:52pm

That's the referendum debate summed up.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:07pm
Yes plus Repeal the 27th.  

(Option not available in the Poll above).

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

That will never happen.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:42pm

That Ronan Mullen fella freaks me out. He's about as progressive as the more fundamentalist members of the Taliban. 

One of the reasons I'm voting yes.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:04pm
Will this be available on the medical card?

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That will never happen.

That's what the Absolutists want you to think.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:18pm

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That will never happen.

That's what the Absolutists want you to think.

Good.

-------------

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 3:28am
I dont think I will vote to repeal it. I would vote to reform it if that becomes an option.

Where there is a threat to someone's life or health abortion should be available.

It's very hard to.outline my reasons briefly without going into significant depth and I realise it is a very divisive and sensitive issue. However I will try.

The first reason is, human equality. We all believe in it.so it's about belief, do we believe that an unborn baby is a life, or human. My belief is, it is, therefore should have the same rights as another human.

Secondly,I believe a man should be part of the decision. To not include him in the decision leaves off responsibility for their actions and or look after that baby.

Social attitudes need to change as well, in terms of stigma and community support of single parents. We of course have improved in the last few decades but situations where a decision is made for instance based on bad timing in someone's life or for fear of what they will be thought of, I would suggest as been wrong.

There should be a responsibility on both the man and woman for their actions and what they engage in.

I'll reiterate though where there is a threat to life or health implications, it should be available. Hence I would vote to reform it.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:44am
So you're going to vote no because you think people will use abortion as some sort of contraceptive?

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:49am
15 votes for no on a football forum.

This will run close. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:06am

So you're going to vote no because you think people will use abortion as some sort of contraceptive?

I've read what Ooohah said a few times now and I'm not sure how you feel that's what he's saying? Maybe I'm missing something

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:15am
Walls, I think he is referring to the line about "responsibility", perhaps two lines from the bottom of the post. But I too am
Struggling to see this interpretation. Especially as the poster has talked about "reform".

Granted, I rarely accept the reform argument in any referendum, as it's never on the table. Plus, what kind of reform would be sensible and make a noticeable difference apart from repeal.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

I dont think I will vote to repeal it. I would vote to reform it if that becomes an option.

Where there is a threat to someone's life or health abortion should be available.

It's very hard to.outline my reasons briefly without going into significant depth and I realise it is a very divisive and sensitive issue. However I will try.

The first reason is, human equality. We all believe in it.so it's about belief, do we believe that an unborn baby is a life, or human. My belief is, it is, therefore should have the same rights as another human.

Secondly,I believe a man should be part of the decision. To not include him in the decision leaves off responsibility for their actions and or look after that baby.

Social attitudes need to change as well, in terms of stigma and community support of single parents. We of course have improved in the last few decades but situations where a decision is made for instance based on bad timing in someone's life or for fear of what they will be thought of, I would suggest as been wrong.

There should be a responsibility on both the man and woman for their actions and what they engage in.

I'll reiterate though where there is a threat to life or health implications, it should be available. Hence I would vote to reform it.

well said. 

for me it's the question of is an unborn baby is a life - even before 12 weeks. in my view it absolutely is and by terminating it you are taking a life away that's basic instinct is to survive. For me this is why i would probably vote no - if i could vote. 

strongly agree that reform is needed.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I've read what Ooohah said a few times now and I'm not sure how you feel that's what he's saying? Maybe I'm missing something

"There should be a responsibility on both the man and woman for their actions and what they engage in."

This is where I got it from. I wasn't having a go just asking if that's what he felt as I'm sure a lot of people will feel the same way.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:31am

I probably wont spend the day arguing my viewpoint as I Know Ill steer off some points slightly and end up arguing on tangents from my original viewpoint.

I am highly aware aswell its a sensitive topic and dont want to be offending people.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:56am

I probably wont spend the day arguing my viewpoint as I Know Ill steer off some points slightly and end up arguing on tangents from my original viewpoint.

I am highly aware aswell its a sensitive topic and dont want to be offending people.

Don't leg it from the thread OohAah. I personally don't agree with your viewpoint but I'm interested in hearing more from people like yourself who are putting forward your argument in a constructive manner. It's important to get both sides to air their views. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:04am
What are people's thoughts about the abortion on-demand for less than 12 weeks?

I posted previously that these people would travel to the UK to get this done anyway, but thinking about it, people who want to do drugs travel to Amsterdam, doesn't mean we should bring it in here. 

Think the repealers need to come up with a better argument than "shure they can do it in England anyway". It should be the right thing to do on its own right.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:17am

Don't leg it from the thread OohAah. I personally don't agree with your viewpoint but I'm interested in hearing more from people like yourself who are putting forward your argument in a constructive manner. It's important to get both sides to air their views. 

LOL I wont be legging it, Ill lurk but I dont want to spend the day rewording my points and then going off on tangants and arguing the tangents. These things can end up in cul de sacs and are a waste of time.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:19am

LOL I wont be legging it, Ill lurk but I dont want to spend the day rewording my points and then going off on tangants and arguing the tangents. These things can end up in cul de sacs and are a waste of time.

Alright, new tactic then. Me and you have a square go outside Slatterys after the next Ireland match to establish whose viewpoint is correct Wink

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:27am
at least the debate has moved on a little. Yesterday you were a 'wacko' for considering a no vote. 

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:27am

at least the debate has moved on a little. Yesterday you were a 'wacko' for considering a no vote. 

LOL

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:29am

I posted previously that these people would travel to the UK to get this done anyway, but thinking about it, people who want to do drugs travel to Amsterdam, doesn't mean we should bring it in here. 

Think the repealers need to come up with a better argument than "shure they can do it in England anyway". It should be the right thing to do on its own right.
What!?!?!?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:31am

I still haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise, it has largely been a misunderstanding of what the referendum is, unrelated stories of personal heartbreak.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:43am

I still haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise, it has largely been a misunderstanding of what the referendum is, unrelated stories of personal heartbreak.

er, no. that was just my example of one of the reasons i am undecided on the topic. Thanks all the same.

your view is clouded on your hatred for the church, when as pointed out by many, church guidance isn't what's driving their thinking on the matter. 

it is clearly a highly emotive and challenging question and one that should be debated, in a respectful manner. 

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:47am

Alright, new tactic then. Me and you have a square go outside Slatterys after the next Ireland match to establish whose viewpoint is correct Wink

Thats a Glaswegian thing isnt it? Learnt it from a Glasvegas song

So yeh, No LOL

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:48am

Like I said yesterday, policy which would accompany this, through legislation would need to be sensible and fit for purpose. It is pointless putting a limit of say 6 weeks, when the length of pregnancy is counted from the date of the last period, rather than the date of conception. Many people only find out officially that they are pregnant five or six weeks after the conception and implantation. Apart from being in line with the European norm, it gives the service user a chance to make up their mind in a calm manner.

I've always accepted abortion to be a class issue, and I'm not easily swayed by class arguments. Only people with sufficient means can travel to England. It's a savage hypocrisy to say you can do it but "not on our doorstep", but it also only offers the service (in effect) to people with the economic means to do so. The same applies to Amsterdam, the well heeled can go their for recreational purposes. It is a compelling argument for repeal and subsequent legislation.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net