You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Referendum 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

What are the financial repercussions of the result of the referendum Baldie?

An easy one is tax credits! If your spouse is not working or working part time, you can take some of their tax credits leaving you with more income.

One of my best pals wife doesnt work and he says he is 100 net better off a week because he has her credits. €5200 net per annum. Not to be sniffed at. 

Of course Mcg. Just curious as to what the other financial implications are 

There is also the recent John O Meara case where a widower had to go to court to get his share of long term partners pension when they were with each other for years and living together and had kids.  He wouldn’t have had to go to court if this amendment was in place.  

At what point should someone qualify for a widows pension? The concept is looking outdated anyway imo.

Edited by Saint Tom - 12 Mar 2024 at 6:58pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:01pm

An easy one is tax credits! If your spouse is not working or working part time, you can take some of their tax credits leaving you with more income.

One of my best pals wife doesnt work and he says he is 100 net better off a week because he has her credits. €5200 net per annum. Not to be sniffed at. 

There is also the recent John O Meara case where a widower had to go to court to get his share of long term partners pension when they were with each other for years and living together and had kids.  He wouldn’t have had to go to court if this amendment was in place.  

I get where you are coming from with that example but there are many in the exact same situation who would use that status to take advantage of the welfare benefits available as a single parent. It works both ways.

the abuse of one parent family and social housing, hap etc is one of the elephants in the room here. One parents families also get superior tax credits and tax bands.

Edited by Saint Tom - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:03pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

At what point should someone qualify for a widows pension? The concept is looking outdated anyway imo.

If you have set up home with someone and that person dies then I think you get half of what they would be entitled to whether that is an pension from their job or the state contributory pension. I do
Not think that should be denied simply because you are not married and I am glad the judge agreed with me.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:10pm

I get where you are coming from with that example but there are many in the exact same situation who would use that status to take advantage of the welfare benefits available as a single parent. It works both ways.

the abuse of one parent family and social housing, hap etc is one of the elephants in the room here. One parents families also get superior tax credits and tax bands.

One parent family groups and judging by the groups online were against this amendment so let’s not raise a red herring here.  
AKA pedantic kunt
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:12pm

Go on tell me how exactly they would do that and how would it
Impact you negatively.  

Tom beat me to it.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:16pm

If you have set up home with someone and that person dies then I think you get half of what they would be entitled to whether that is an pension from their job or the state contributory pension. I do
Not think that should be denied simply because you are not married and I am glad the judge agreed with me.  

That's opening a seriously large can of worms. 

The ambiguity of what defines "setting up home" would be a godsend to those who make a living from social welfare.

Good theory doesn't always equate to good practice.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:17pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:17pm

I made the point last week the married people are obliged to maintain each other in the event of a marital breakdown. This doesn't apply to non married people to the same degree. Would you be prepared to see legislation that changed this in exchange for a minor uplift in sharing tax credits (most full time workers will individually hit the top rate in their own right)?

Tom WTF.  There are loads of ex spouses who are not paying maintenance and getting away with it whether they are married or not.    The rules apply whether you are married or not once children are included.  Alimony doesn’t really exist in Ireland to any great extent unless it can be proven that one spouse lost income by staying at home etc.   These rules are already in place and of course it makes sense that one person should pay for the kids in the case of a marital/relationship breakdown but this applies already.  

I am really baffled why married people are so against this if it doesn’t impact they in anyway.  It’s like the same
Sex marriage.  Why were people against that if
 They were not gay as it didn’t impact them at all.  I really can’t understand why some people want to control other peoples lives for stuff that doesn’t impact on
Them.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:19pm

That's opening a seriously large can of worms. 

The ambiguity of what defines "setting up home" would be a godsend to those who make a living from social welfare.

Good theory doesn't always equate to good practice.

What are you talking about the horse is bolted on this, the John o meara case has already set a precedence on this.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:20pm

Go on tell me how exactly they would do that and how would it
Impact you negatively.  

Tom beat me to it.

Go on tell me exactly how this impacts you and how this would work in practice.  Why do you want to control other peoples lives.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:21pm

Married people get superior tax credits also.  The people who get
The worst are cohabiting couples along with single people with no
Kids. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:25pm
What are you on about Baldrick? Do you not think people take advantage of the welfare system for single parents ? And from my posts how on earth did you come to the conclusion of me wanting to control people's lives. Seriously odd stuff...

Edited by BabbsBalls - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:26pm
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:26pm
Do you know how all married people voted?

There is maintenance payable in respect of children NOT in respect of your partner in the event of a breakup. Child maintenance can be referred to the courts if needed with attachment of earnings orders.

I actually voted yes to the family amendment despite the glaring flaws in how the amendment was drafted and the lack of clarity in what durable meant, and the impact of the exchequer. There are many reasons why it didn't pass, some of which can be directly attributed to those who proposed it.

You didn't get what you wanted, thems the breaks 

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:28pm

Kids. 

That's plainly not true.

You get no more tax credits or bands than two single people, however, you can share unused credits in some limited circumstances depending on whether one or both parties are working.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:30pm

What are you on about Baldrick? Do you not think people take advantage of the welfare system for single parents ? And from my posts how on earth did you come to the conclusion of me wanting to control people's lives. Seriously odd stuff...

But what has single parents got to do with this.  As a rep group they were against this amendment so made up nonsense that this will result in abuse by single parents is a load of sh*te.  It’s also hugely discriminatory and a massive generalisation against a vulnerable group in Irish society.   You are starting to sound like a very well know politician with the focus on welfare fraud.  

By stopping people from being recognised as a family by the state is trying to control other people’s lives for something that may not have any impact on you.  As I said comparable to people who voted no to the same sex marriage referendum who were not gay.  Why would you deny rights to other people if
It doesn’t impact you.  

Edited by Baldrick - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:30pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:32pm

Kids. 

That's plainly not true.

You get no more tax credits or bands than two single people, however, you can share unused credits in some limited circumstances depending on whether one or both parties are working.

That’s not what I said. Cohabiting couples who have kids or not do not get the same tax credits as married couple.  Cohabiting couples and single people get the worse tax credits.  Single parents and married couples get better tax treatment as they can pool unused credits. 

Edited by Baldrick - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:34pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:32pm
Ok.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:38pm
You honestly don't like being corrected but please point out to me where married people get superior tax credits to two single people?

The ONLY difference is the sharing of unused credits and bands if you opt for joint assessment and where one party earns less than the standard rate cut off point.

Edited by Saint Tom - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:39pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:42pm

Do you know how all married people voted?

There is maintenance payable in respect of children NOT in respect of your partner in the event of a breakup. Child maintenance can be referred to the courts if needed with attachment of earnings orders.

I actually voted yes to the family amendment despite the glaring flaws in how the amendment was drafted and the lack of clarity in what durable meant, and the impact of the exchequer. There are many reasons why it didn't pass, some of which can be directly attributed to those who proposed it.

You didn't get what you wanted, thems the breaks 

No I don’t, but didn’t I say I did. I am going to
Presume it was more than 65% though and it was certainly at least that.  

Tom don’t you worry I know exactly how the maintenance system works and doesn’t work and how some people avoid paying it including moving out of the state etc.  This all applies whether are married or not so it’s a red herring.  

Edited by Baldrick - 12 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic