Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=59014
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 1:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Referendum 2024
Posted By: McG
Subject: Referendum 2024
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:19pm
Lads, anybody willing to give a summary for those not in the know?

@Balf.airy, you'd be the man. What do these two votes mean to me and my family?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

If you are married the family one makes no difference to you now but it does recognise a family for those that are not married.  The family has a special place in the constitution so opening
Up the meaning with include those who have families where the parents are not married.  

The second item is do with replacing the wording which gives special place for women staying at home to care for their family.  This opens it up to all carers rather than just mothers.   Some people are in not in agreement with it and say it doesn’t go far enough so they are voting no and others are just fundamentally against it as they come from a catholic conservative background.   Without knowing the ins and out of your situation I suspect at the moment neither will have a massive impact on your life.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If you are married the family one makes no difference to you now but it does recognise a family for those that are not married.  The family has a special place in the constitution so opening
Up the meaning with include those who have families where the parents are not married.  

The second item is do with replacing the wording which gives special place for women staying at home to care for their family.  This opens it up to call carers rather than just mothers.   Some people are in agreement with it and say it doesn’t go far enough so they are voting no and others are just fundamentally against it as they come from a catholic conservative background.   Without knowing the ins and out of your situation I suspect at the moment neither will have a massive impact on your life.  

The second one will write that the Government will 'strive' to support those with disabilities. Very A lot of carers I know are wholeheartedly against it

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

The second item is do with replacing the wording which gives special place for women staying at home to care for their family.  This opens it up to call carers rather than just mothers.   Some people are in agreement with it and say it doesn’t go far enough so they are voting no and others are just fundamentally against it as they come from a catholic conservative background.   Without knowing the ins and out of your situation I suspect at the moment neither will have a massive impact on your life.  

The second one will write that the Government will 'strive' to support those with disabilities. Very A lot of carers I know are wholeheartedly against it

Yeah the argument is that it doesn’t go far enough.  There are other carers who said it’s not perfect but it’s better than no recognition at all.  Remember if you vote no, it doesn’t get replaced with something better it just stays as it is.  So that’s a judgement call.  Tom Clonan who is a senator and a very sensible commenter or defence and disability issues is voting no for that reason that it doesn’t place the responsibility on the state but on the family.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:42pm
I seen a No voter with a sign saying 

Jesus loves family vote No

So I'm voting Yes for that one at least. 

As Baldrick says the other one isn't really worded great but again it's kind of an outdated wording currently there , that a woman should stay at home to mind kids .

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
Are there not some concerns about taking the onus away from the state caring for people and putting that back on families?

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

As Baldrick says the other one isn't really worded great but again it's kind of an outdated wording currently there , that a woman should stay at home to mind kids .

To be fair the old wording doesn’t say that either.  It’s more recognises the role of women in bringing up families at home and that there should not be an economic necessity to go out to work.  In reality other than children’s allowance there is nothing tangible flowing from this as it currently stands.  It’s outdated wording though.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Are there not some concerns about taking the onus away from the state caring for people and putting that back on families?

It doesn’t take anything away as there is nothing there for carers as is.  The argument is that it doesn’t go far enough to put the onus on the state. But it’s not taking it away as it’s not there to begin with.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:52pm

Is that true though? Have seen many arguments that it simply recognises the role women play at home, which it should 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:53pm

To be fair the old wording doesn’t say that either.  It’s more recognises the role of women in bringing up families at home and that there should not be an economic necessity to go out to work.  In reality other than children’s allowance there is nothing tangible flowing from this as it currently stands.  It’s outdated wording though.  

Could there be a situation where children's allowance is taken away in the future, should it pass?

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:56pm

It doesn’t take anything away as there is nothing there for carers as is.  The argument is that it doesn’t go far enough to put the onus on the state. But it’s not taking it away as it’s not there to begin with.  

The clip below is enough to raise suspicion. Plus, by voting yes does that not give the Government leg room to 'strive' rather than actually doing anything? It would be like an acceptance from the people and embedded in the constitution 

https://twitter.com/DrHaroldNews/status/1764705340610781225" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/DrHaroldNews/status/1764705340610781225

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:57pm

Could there be a situation where children's allowance is taken away in the future, should it pass?

That’s always a possibility even now but that’s a policy decision that a government would be crazy to introduce.  They would have to not mention it in their manifesto and then bring it in.  The chances of it passing the Dail are close to zero as everybody would get them out at the next election.  We had a government fall on VAT on children’s shoes so can you imagine what would happen over children’s allowance.  The fact children’s allowance is paid to mothers and not fathers is influenced by the constitution. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:01pm

The clip below is enough to raise suspicion. Plus, by voting yes does that not give the Government leg room to 'strive' rather than actually doing anything? It would be like an acceptance from the people and embedded in the constitution 

https://twitter.com/DrHaroldNews/status/1764705340610781225" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/DrHaroldNews/status/1764705340610781225

But voting no means there is no reference to carers in the constitution so there is even less as things stand.  It depends how you see it, if it’s not perfect then it should be rejected which leaves a worse situation.   A no vote does not mean they come come back with a better option next year or the year after.  They are not more likely to “improve” it if it’s rejected.  There is nothing to stop a future gov putting an amendment in the future to a yes vote.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:03pm

Is that true though? Have seen many arguments that it simply recognises the role women play at home, which it should 

Should it not also recognise the role men play at home too or carers too.   Why give special mention for the role mothers play in 2024.  It doesn’t do any favours to women and leaves out many people who care for people who are not mothers to those they care for.  It’s a archaic reference based on Irish 1950s lifestyle.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:05pm
Despite everyone I'd traditionally disagree vehemently saying to vote no/no, I think I will.

I don't like that 'durable relationship' will be left to the judiciary to decide. It also doesn't sit right that the government won't release fhe opinion of the attorney general on both, why not? The fact I've tried reading on what the outcome will mean in practice, I've found nothing that can say definitively of its a yes on either. 

A shame they didn't just have a straight referendum on removing the women in the home article without the care being added in. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Despite everyone I'd traditionally disagree vehemently saying to vote no/no, I think I will.

I don't like that 'durable relationship' will be left to the judiciary to decide. It also doesn't sit right that the government won't release fhe opinion of the attorney general on both, why not? The fact I've tried reading on what the outcome will mean in practice, I've found nothing that can say definitively of its a yes on either. 

A shame they didn't just have a straight referendum on removing the women in the home article without the care being added in. 

There will be even less protection for those of us in durable relationships if this gets a no vote.  As Voltaire said perfect is the enemy of the good.  

It’s obvious that two people living together with kids will be a durable relationship and therefore a family.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:08pm

The family one changes what defines the family to "whether founded on marriage or other durable relationship" and also removes "marriage, on which the family is based" from various clause around the family.

Id be minded to support it although it's far from perfect around defining durable relationships.

The care one changes various references to the mothers obligation to care and to their place in the home and that they ought not need to work at the expense of caring. In its' place it refers to a more generic obligation of families to care for one another.

Critics say it puts a burden on family members while not going far enough on the state to provide such care.

Personally I would be happy with both scenarios to be removed without a replacement.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:09pm

There will be even less protection for those of us in durable relationships if this gets a no vote.  As Voltaire said perfect is the enemy of the good.  

Can the government not just legislate for extra protections? Genuine question, I'm not sure, but I believe they can. 

The supreme court recently gave a widowers pension to someone not married as well. 

Posted By: Mush Cassidys Donkey
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:13pm
It's a yes yes vote for me. When you see every scumbag from the far right looking for a no no vote then It's a no brainer for me. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:13pm

Can the government not just legislate for extra protections? Genuine question, I'm not sure, but I believe they can. 

The supreme court recently gave a widowers pension to someone not married as well. 

Possibly but the constitutional change will compel them to do so. That’s the crucial difference.  There is a massive lack of protection for those families where the parents are not married.  This change will mean the state recognises them as family and compels the government of the day to change policies to reflect the constitutional change.  Leaving it as is will mean they may or may not change it. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Reildogg
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:15pm

It doesn't say that. New wording is:

"The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision."

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:16pm
I don't agree that a widowers pension or married person tax treatment etc should be extended to non married couples. I'm no conservative but there has to be some bar to durable relationships. Do obligations after break ups then apply to non married couples? Can't have one without the other imo.

Fwiw I think the government have made a balls of this by ignoring some elements of the Citizens assembly outcome and the poor new wording of the clauses that have to go in a modern society.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:19pm

That’s always a possibility even now but that’s a policy decision that a government would be crazy to introduce.  They would have to not mention it in their manifesto and then bring it in.  The chances of it passing the Dail are close to zero as everybody would get them out at the next election.  We had a government fall on VAT on children’s shoes so can you imagine what would happen over children’s allowance.  The fact children’s allowance is paid to mothers and not fathers is influenced by the constitution. 

So vote yes and get have a chance of claiming it insteadLOL

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

I don't agree that a widowers pension or married person rqx treatment etc should be extended to non married couples. I'm no conservative but there has to be some bar to durable relationships. Do obligations after break ups then apply to non married couples? Can't have one without the other imo.

Fwiw I think the government have made a balls of this by ignoring some elements of the Citizens assembly outcome and the poor new wording of the clauses that have to go in a modern society.

Tom that’s being said from the position of being married.  

Of course a pension should be given to someone who has been in a durable relationship right up to death.  If I passed away in the morning my partner and kids would need my pension and they would deserve it and should not be prevented from
It because I am not married.   The same for the tax treatment.  When you are living together with kids I think it’s pretty obvious the relationship is durable ffs.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

It's a yes yes vote for me. When you see every scumbag from the far right looking for a no no vote then It's a no brainer for me. 

Stupid reason Thumbs Down

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:21pm
I normally see what the Iona institute are advocating and do the opposite. They’re pushing a No/no vote so yes/yes is what I’d go for. I’ve got an early flight on Friday morning so won’t be able to vote. CryCry

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:24pm
Don't agree with you Baldrick. Where is the bar?having kids, moving in (after how long??). Do families get one parent family after the break up? Where there's imbalance in incomes, are they obliged to maintain their family (including romantic partner) if they break up? Seems like wanting all the benefits without the obligations.

This is opening a minefield of potential costs for the state.

That doesn't mean you are not a family. I would just prefer the constitution was changed and all definitions removed to let the government legislate.

I don't trust the judiciary to get this right.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:25pm

That's my thinking. The Government's handling of this hasn't helped at all

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:30pm

I don't agree that a widowers pension or married person rqx treatment etc should be extended to non married couples. I'm no conservative but there has to be some bar to durable relationships. Do obligations after break ups then apply to non married couples? Can't have one without the other imo.

Of course a pension should be given to someone who has been in a durable relationship right up to death.  If I passed away in the morning my partner and kids would need my pension and they would deserve it and should not be prevented from
It because I am not married.   The same for the tax treatment.  When you are living together with kids I think it’s pretty obvious the relationship is durable ffs.  

Should I not get to vote as a married person so? How do you know my position wasn't the same before hand? Very presumptive.

I'm marginally minded to support a yes vote because of the unacceptable nature of the status quo, but I have serious issues with how it will play out in practice.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:34pm

Should I not get to vote as a married person so? How do you know my position wasn't the same before hand? Very presumptive.

I'm marginally minded to support a yes vote because of the unacceptable nature of the status quo, but I have serious issues with how it will play out in practice.

Of course you should get a vote.  Everyone should get a vote.  The point I am making is that this will benefit lots of people who are married but are currently families in reality but not recognised by the state through the constitution.  

My view would be the more families that this can help the better.  This has zero impact on anyone who is currently married and only helps those that are not.  So it’s an
Empathetic thing to do to help others and use your vote to do so.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:44pm
After reading through responses I'm even more confused LOL

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:48pm

There are always people who like to confuse a pretty simple change with all sorts of bogus reasons for maintaing their own prejudices.  There is the Ioana crowd who have been on the wrong side of every referendum for one.  They have and never will be proven right as their views are loaded with judgement and divisiveness. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:54pm

There are always people who like to confuse a pretty simple change with all sorts of bogus reasons for maintaing their own prejudices.  There is the Ioana crowd who have been on the wrong side of every referendum for one.  They have and never will be proven right as their views are loaded with judgement and divisiveness. 

Are you trying to suggest it's only the likes of the Ioana crowd who are advocating a no/no?

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 8:58pm

Are you trying to suggest it's only the likes of the Ioana crowd who are advocating a no/no?

No I didn’t say that.  Read what I said and you will get a decent idea of what I said rather than inventing what you think I said.  

You may have forgotten my previous post which references Tom Clonan and his  views.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:00pm

No I didn’t say that.  Read what I said and you will get a decent idea of what I said rather than inventing what you think I said.  

You may have forgotten my previous post which references Tom Clonan and his  views.  

No need to get cranky.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:01pm

No need to get cranky

No need to get conspiracy 😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:06pm
Baldrick, would you not just give the lads an excuse to get away on a stags and have done with it??!!

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:06pm
He is cranky now, imagine what he would be like if married?

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:07pm

All right there Conor McGregor

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:12pm

Grand Tucker

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:13pm

Baldrick, would you not just give the lads an excuse to get away on a stags and have done with it??!!

What you mean? 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 9:19pm

Grand Tucker

LOL

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 11:41pm

It's probably with logic like that you somehow ended up supporting Russia and Palestine simultaneously.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 12:00am
Michael Martin was shocking on Prime Time. 
Took a bit of a kicking 

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 12:33am

Or maybe look at the arguments on either side, process them, and think for yourself you gobsh*te. 

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 6:30am
I see Conor McGregor is pushing for a NO/NO vote. I haven't a clue about the ins and outs of the referendum this time around but that's good enough for me. Yes/Yes it is Thumbs Up

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 7:57am

If I could vote, I'd be voting Yyes/No.

The wording "strive" doesn't place any legal obligation on the state, even though it's being presented that way. "Strive" is only used on one other occasion in the constitution, and it's a specifically chosen word as it doesn't create any legally binding obligation for the state to provide care. 

Marie Baker said that "strive" would mean a "positive obligation to try hard". Sure any one can try hard and still not achieve the desired outcome. It's language for the government to hide behind. 

Eoin Daly, lecturer in constitutional law and legal theory, and Tom Clonan, who you mentioned earlier, are worth a listen to in terms of the wording being used.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:02am

Took a bit of a kicking 
Did in the first debate... The barrister spoke very well for that. She didn't in the second debate. She made it more personal to her circumstances as mentioned religion then. I was hoping the yes side could add a bit of clarity to everything but MM made me believe they don't know what the amendments are about themselves and they are just being done to be seen to be progressive without actually thinking of the ramifications 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:11am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

It's probably with logic like that you somehow ended up supporting Russia and Palestine simultaneously.

I wouldn't be wrong so would I? The far right are generally Nazi's and fascists and they are calling for a NO/NO vote. Rat lickers like yourself will side to the extreme right hence why your call for a NO/NO vote.

I'm happy with my support and defense of Palestine and never once have I said I supported Russia but I did communicate the Russian and neutral side to the war instead of the biased pro west that you cant take your blinkers off to. 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Or maybe look at the arguments on either side, process them, and think for yourself you gobsh*te. 

Trust me I have, and have done so with Baldrick in private and I even raised a question that ST raised above. He maybe a pedantic bollox Wink but Baldrick I think is spot on with his understanding of the referendum.  But the compelling factor for me was when you see every scumbag from the far right and Conor McGregor looking for a NO/NO vote then that just made up my mind completely. 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:18am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

If I could vote, I'd be voting Yyes/No.

The wording "strive" doesn't place any legal obligation on the state, even though it's being presented that way. "Strive" is only used on one other occasion in the constitution, and it's a specifically chosen word as it doesn't create any legally binding obligation for the state to provide care. 

Marie Baker said that "strive" would mean a "positive obligation to try hard". Sure any one can try hard and still not achieve the desired outcome. It's language for the government to hide behind. 

Eoin Daly, lecturer in constitutional law and legal theory, and Tom Clonan, who you mentioned earlier, are worth a listen to in terms of the wording being used.

But there is even less there if you vote no.  It’s a choice between the wording you are not happy with and even less than that. As I said should perfect be the enemy of the good.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:19am

Trust me I have, and have done so with Baldrick in private and I even raised a question that ST raised above. He maybe a pedantic bollox Wink but Baldrick I think is spot on with his understanding of the referendum.  But the compelling factor for me was when you see every scumbag from the far right and Conor McGregor looking for a NO/NO vote then that just made up my mind completely. 

Now I am questioning myself 😀😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:46am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Took a bit of a kicking 
Did in the first debate... The barrister spoke very well for that. She didn't in the second debate. She made it more personal to her circumstances as mentioned religion then. I was hoping the yes side could add a bit of clarity to everything but MM made me believe they don't know what the amendments are about themselves and they are just being done to be seen to be progressive without actually thinking of the ramifications 

Yea she went off a bit in second but then MM went personal ar her and had his facts all wrong. That's all people will remember from the second debate. 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:47am
I see Bob Terwilliger is calling for a Yes/No vote. That's enough for me I'm definitely voting No/Yes. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:54am

never once have I said I supported Russia but I did communicate the Russian and neutral side to the war…

You do realise how ridiculous this reads?

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:58am
Lads there is a thread on geo political affairs.  This is for
The ref. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 9:14am
Pretty straightforward yes/yes for me. It currently negatively impacts a small cohort of people so why not fix that. 

The results of the votes will be very interesting, twitter would have me believing that no/no can't be beaten by the amount of people voting for it and the amount of people casually voting no/no just to protest against the government appears to be pretty high. If either are a no there should nearly be a general election called right after.  

The communication from the government on the referendums have been absolutely shocking also. 

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 9:15am
Voting on a ref to protest against the gov of the day is the most stupid thing one can do.  Vote on the wording, the gov is irrelevant. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 9:29am
There is a legal view out there that the reference to mothers in the home only refers to married women and not to mothers in long term relationships that are not married.  The family amendment would resolve that. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 9:39am

Voting on a ref to protest against the gov of the day is the most stupid thing one can do.  Vote on the wording, the gov is irrelevant. 
What of someone has no definitive opinion on the ref or  doesnt care about it but does have strong opinions on the govt ? How should yheu vote then whether they are pro or anti  government  ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

What of someone has no definitive opinion on the ref or  doesnt care about it but does have strong opinions on the govt ? How should yheu vote then whether they are pro or anti  government  ?

Inform themselves more and if still can’t choose do a spoiled vote.  However not caring is pretty mad considering this could have fundamental improvements to peoples lives.  Is the person you refer to without any emotional empathy and they only see the world through the prism of their own specific needs in the here and now.  

Referendums make changes that are far beyond the gov of the day.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 10:05am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Pretty straightforward yes/yes for me. It currently negatively impacts a small cohort of people so why not fix that. 

The results of the votes will be very interesting, twitter would have me believing that no/no can't be beaten by the amount of people voting for it and the amount of people casually voting no/no just to protest against the government appears to be pretty high. If either are a no there should nearly be a general election called right after.  

The communication from the government on the referendums have been absolutely shocking also. 
Absolutely no chance that will happen. Who do you think would call an election? 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 10:27am

Inform themselves more and if still can’t choose do a spoiled vote.  However not caring is pretty mad considering this could have fundamental improvements to peoples lives.  Is the person you refer to without any emotional empathy and they only see the world through the prism of their own specific needs in the here and now.  

True, however I've read it is anticipated a turn out of below 40%, so a lot of apathy about this. I always find it a tad ironic that older who are generally more conservative people can dictate the future, a future they are unlikely to be alive for.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 10:42am

True, however I've read it is anticipated a turn out of below 40%, so a lot of apathy about this. I always find it a tad ironic that older who are generally more conservative people can dictate the future, a future they are unlikely to be alive for.

But if younger people don’t turn up they can hardly give out. 
Far too much self interest nowadays and a huge lack of emotional empathy. We need more people actually envisioning the lives of others and putting themselves in the shoes of others.  To be fair we had a huge amount of that for the marriage referendum but it seems to have been lost and I think there has been a backlash to those liberal referendums but that could be just online and the reality may not be the case.  

It’s like the ultra conservatives regrouped after two heavy defeats in referendums and took to scare tactics and false flags etc.  

Anyway let’s hope common sense and emotional empathy prevail. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

never once have I said I supported Russia but I did communicate the Russian and neutral side to the war…

You do realise how ridiculous this reads?

I agree with Het Field Shocked

Pathetic way of thinking 

Posted By: Greener92
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 2:13pm
Feeling much more informed after reading thanks to Baldrick Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 4:20pm
People voting Yes because McGregor said to vote No need a reality check. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

I read that a group of Lawyers are calling for a No vote due to serious implications and lack of definitions of the change.

Perhaps it's self interest I don't know I haven't looked into it but it's not the first time I've read people are worried about the wording. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:01am
Over 1 million families in Ireland are families outside of the traditional marriage.  It is crazy that the they would not be included in the states definition of what a family is.  This includes grandparents looks after their grandkids and other non traditional family situations.  

Like the divorce referendum in the mid 80s and mid 90s the farmers groups are out against it and come up with nightmare scenarios.  They were wrong in the mid 80s and mid 90s and they are wrong again.  The same with the conservative lawyers ( other lawyers calling for a yes) group headed up by MMcD and the other conservative groups.  They have been consistently wrong on every referendum that has been held over the last 30-40 years and they will be shown to be wrong again.  They always come up with these nightmare scenarios in order to protect the status quo.  If they had their way we would be stuck in DeValera’s 1937 and be dancing at the crossroads with comely maidens.  Time for 1 millions families to be recognised and given proper standing by the state. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:27am
Maybe a day of silence on here the day before the referendum stop Baldrick talking absolute rubbish.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Maybe a day of silence on here the day before the referendum stop Baldrick talking absolute rubbish.

Well at least I outline my thoughts in some sort of cogent manner rather than sniping with no substance at all.  

🤡 

I was asked by McG and a couple of posters have been appreciative of a few of my posts. You are free to outline your thoughts and views. But sure it’s easier just to snipe.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:57am
I think one of the biggest No campaigners are those who believe that a YES vote will lead to more immigrants coming in and then bringing their families/friends over and them getting more benefits as they can claim they are a family / durable relationships.

When if I read it right is completely false 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 10:03am

I think one of the biggest No campaigners are those who believe that a YES vote will lead to more immigrants coming in and then bringing their families/friends over and them getting more benefits as they can claim they are a family / durable relationships.

These lads work backwards. They start with fear of foreigners and work themselves all the way back to whatever is new in society and that’s how they join the dots.   

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 10:23am

Over 1 million families in Ireland are families outside of the traditional marriage.  It is crazy that the they would not be included in the states definition of what a family is.  This includes grandparents looks after their grandkids and other non traditional family situations.  

Like the divorce referendum in the mid 80s and mid 90s the farmers groups are out against it and come up with nightmare scenarios.  They were wrong in the mid 80s and mid 90s and they are wrong again.  The same with the conservative lawyers ( other lawyers calling for a yes) group headed up by MMcD and the other conservative groups.  They have been consistently wrong on every referendum that has been held over the last 30-40 years and they will be shown to be wrong again.  They always come up with these nightmare scenarios in order to protect the status quo.  If they had their way we would be stuck in DeValera’s 1937 and be dancing at the crossroads with comely maidens.  Time for 1 millions families to be recognised and given proper standing by the state. 

They didn't consult their own members, many of whom have spoken out against it

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 10:29am

That the point. Many lawyers are for it and some are against it. You would expect that in a healthy democracy.  All lawyers are people with values and opinions and they bring them to
Their profession and you have very conservative lawyers and very liberal ones just like you would have in any cross section of society.  As a result it’s not a surprise or a shock that you will have those that are for and those that are against it.  Same happened with divorce referendums and the marriage one.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 11:05am

They never do consult us to be fair, Ger. The council is elected every year on behalf of the profession to represent all solicitors. 

Wonder will turnout top 40%?

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 11:13am
by the way the moratorium that trig refers to begins at 2pm.  Happy to adhere this if ybig mods deem it necessary. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 11:23am

Helen McEntee admitted on VMTV last night that it will have consquences for immigration law. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 11:28am
I am all for including all family types in our constitution, but I believe they have got it wrong this time with wording and definitions (or lack there of) and in its current form, due to the potential consequences and the ambiguity I'll be voting against it. 

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:13pm

I am all for including all family types in our constitution, but I believe they have got it wrong this time with wording and definitions (or lack there of) and in its current form, due to the potential consequences and the ambiguity I'll be voting against it. 
Same as this

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:21pm

What would those consequences be? 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:24pm

Helen McEntee admitted on VMTV last night that it will have consquences for immigration law. 

I'm not doubting it won't but not to the extent of immigrant allowed in, now their entire family is entitled too which is what some have been claiming 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:29pm

One for example, as admitted by Helen McAntee last night is the consequence on immigration law. I also don't like the fact that the special recognition of a mother will be removed.

There are a long list of reasons and potential consequences to vote no:
http://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/lawyers-for-no-document-family-and-care-referendume.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/lawyers-for-no-document-family-and-care-referendume.html

"We believe that widening the constitutional definition of the family will inevitably have serious consequences in family law, family property rights and division, pensions law, welfare law, tax law, and immigration law."

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 1:20pm
I always think if you’ve any doubt re referendum on constitution, you have to vote against changing it.

Changing the constitution is such a big deal.

Re first vote, there’s too much ambiguity for me for when cases go to court, so I’ll be voting no.

Re second vote, alot of carers seem to have serious problems with it - and carers really are unsung heroes tbh and they get very little government help. I’ll be voting no for this too.

Expect it to be a very low turn out and wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 no votes passed as a result 

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 1:21pm

One for example, as admitted by Helen McAntee last night is the consequence on immigration law. I also don't like the fact that the special recognition of a mother will be removed.

http://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/lawyers-for-no-document-family-and-care-referendume.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/lawyers-for-no-document-family-and-care-referendume.html

"We believe that widening the constitutional definition of the family will inevitably have serious consequences in family law, family property rights and division, pensions law, welfare law, tax law, and immigration law."

Why should a mother who stayed at home with her kids get special recognition  over and above a dad who does the same.  What about a Dad who is widowed and has 2 kids with a disability against a mother who is married to a multi millionaire and spends her days in swimming pools and saunas.  Should she get special recognition over and above the dad who looks after his two kids.  It’s absolute nonsense to pick one gender over another.  Anyone who cares whether they are a mother daughter grandmother Dad cousins or whoever should be supported and acknowledged.  This arachaic language was out of step in 1994 never mind 2024. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

I always think if you’ve any doubt re referendum on constitution, you have to vote against changing it.

Changing the constitution is such a big deal.

Re first vote, there’s too much ambiguity for me for when cases go to court, so I’ll be voting no.

Re second vote, alot of carers seem to have serious problems with it - and carers really are unsung heroes tbh and they get very little government help. I’ll be voting no for this too.

Expect it to be a very low turn out and wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 no votes passed as a result 

That’s a very conservative position to start with.  I.e that the status quo is the assumed position and you need to be convinced to move away from that. A more enlightened  position is to compare the status quo with the new paradigm post referendum and ask which is more preferable.  The status quo could be the worst option of all. 

You fail to say many carers are in support of it and many are not.  Are one group more deserving than others or more heroes than others.  No they just have different opinions which is fine.

Quoting McMcD one of the most conservative politicians the state has seen.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 1:58pm
This should be interesting

The Ditch has obtained the attorney general's advice to Roderic O'Gorman about tomorrow's referenda, which government has refused to publish, despite doing so with the equivalent during the repeal campaign.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:03pm

Why should a mother who stayed at home with her kids get special recognition  over and above a dad who does the same.  What about a Dad who is widowed and has 2 kids with a disability against a mother who is married to a multi millionaire and spends her days in swimming pools and saunas.  Should she get special recognition over and above the dad who looks after his two kids.  It’s absolute nonsense to pick one gender over another.  Anyone who cares whether they are a mother daughter grandmother Dad cousins or whoever should be supported and acknowledged.  This arachaic language was out of step in 1994 never mind 2024. 

Why not add to it as opposed to removing the reference? That is only a very minor point out of everything I said. I see you couldn't pick holes in anything else so wrote a paragraph in response to a sentence. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:10pm
Pretty simple the reason it is best to modify it is that in order to include everyone who cares for people it is best not to individually outline each person included because if you don’t list someone then they are excluded. Whereas if you use general language it includes everyone who is caring for someone.  

What is your issue with changing it from mothers to include all carers.  By the way it is the view of many legal experts that it’s not all mothers either but married mothers.  How can you defend that sort of language and that it should be kept unless you are a fundamentalist catholic.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:50pm
There goes the care vote anyway

The word 'strive' will cause all sorts of issues

https://www.ontheditch.com/attorney-general-advice/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ontheditch.com/attorney-general-advice/

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:55pm
Ger how is the current setup better for carers.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 3:19pm

This gives them a safety net to ay they tried. There is no legal obligation for them to help carers with this wording. Why don't they change word to oblige?  
Why vote for something that does nothing but cause chaos in the courts?

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 3:23pm

It's not. 

But this gives them a safety net to ay they tried. There is no legal obligation for them to help carers with this wording.

Why don't they change word to oblige?  

But Ger there are two options.  It’s a binary decision. There is no 3rd option on the ballot that is somehow better than option B. It’s Option B or a far worse situation I.e the status quo.  The politics of it can be debated but they are a distraction. 

Option A. Status quote with no mention of carers other than specifically married mothers.  There is zero obligation on the state for carers in general. 

Option B imperfect wording which has mention of carers and what obligations or places on the state is debatable.  

Those are the two options.   As I said one shouldn’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 3:33pm

Would the referendum be better if it involved adding the word father alongside mother rather then remove it? Have it on father's Day and announce it's a fight for sexism against men. 

Edit: just seen your other replies. Personally I think a no vote is best here. The government should run another referendum and do better then the word strive. But all carers would be fine. Actually why not just write mother's, father's and all carers. Not that hard. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 3:49pm

It's not. 

But this gives them a safety net to ay they tried. There is no legal obligation for them to help carers with this wording.

But Ger there are two options.  It’s a binary decision. There is no 3rd option on the ballot that is somehow better than option B. It’s Option B or a far worse situation I.e the status quo.  The politics of it can be debated but they are a distraction. 

Option A. Status quote with no mention of carers other than specifically married mothers.  There is zero obligation on the state for carers in general. 

Option B imperfect wording which has mention of carers and what obligations or places on the state is debatable.  

Those are the two options.   As I said one shouldn’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.  

It's me belief that this has been sold as a lie. They didn't reveal the AG's advise and are all over the shop with their messaging

Gov say carers will get more than what they currently get. As per AG, strive doesn't men that at all. Will they 'strive' to maintain current supports? 
What's to stop them reducing care support because they 'strived' but ultimately did not?
New wording may as well state there is no obligation on the state to support people with disabilities.

If article stay as it is, this poor women may win her case and not be means tested because her husband earns 45k.
If vote is passed, the government will 'strive' and she won't win the case. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/16/supreme-court-to-hear-mothers-appeal-over-means-testing-of-carers-allowance/" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/16/supreme-court-to-hear-mothers-appeal-over-means-testing-of-carers-allowance/

Leo said the quiet part out loud

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 4:10pm

It's not. 

It's me belief that this has been sold as a lie. They didn't reveal the AG's advise and are all over the shop with their messaging

Gov say carers will get more than what they currently get. As per AG, strive doesn't men that at all. Will they 'strive' to maintain current supports? 
What's to stop them reducing care support because they 'strived' but ultimately did not?
New wording may as well state there is no obligation on the state to support people with disabilities.

If article stay as it is, this poor women may win her case and not be means tested because her husband earns 45k.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/16/supreme-court-to-hear-mothers-appeal-over-means-testing-of-carers-allowance/" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/16/supreme-court-to-hear-mothers-appeal-over-means-testing-of-carers-allowance/

So do you think situation (no mention of carers at all) is better for carers than the proposed wording and if so what evidence have you got to back that up. 

Centre right party believe in individual responsibility shock horror.  Not my way of thinking by the way but we shouldn’t be shocked when centre right parties express the view that the state is not responsible for lots of things.  That’s their world view.  I would have the polar opposite and believe the state should be far more involved in our life from child care to nursing homes to housing etc etc.  not everyone shares that view either and like private enterprise more.  These are ideologies and one is not right or wrong it’s just a world view. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 4:13pm
Why is the Ditch which I've never heard of and Reddit/twitter an international forum the only places reporting what the AG thinks in this matter. Should this be front page breaking news on RTE and other mainstream media? The propaganda machine is as strong as ever. I'm sure as the day goes on a few of them will bother reporting. Definitely won't give it the limelight it deserves. Not like half the country is voting on this or anything tomorrow.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 4:19pm
Never heard of The Ditch LOL

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Never heard of The Ditch LOL
Quick Google says they're a left leaning political investigative website. Very mainstream. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 4:48pm

It's not. 

So do you think situation (no mention of carers at all) is better for carers than the proposed wording and if so what evidence have you got to back that up. 

Centre right party believe in individual responsibility shock horror.  Not my way of thinking by the way but we shouldn’t be shocked when centre right parties express the view that the state is not responsible for lots of things.  That’s their world view.  I would have the polar opposite and believe the state should be far more involved in our life from child care to nursing homes to housing etc etc.  not everyone shares that view either and like private enterprise more.  These are ideologies and one is not right or wrong it’s just a world view. 

Obviously the current situation is enough for that lady to get to the supreme Court. 

The wording would make it very doubtful. That's not my opinion, it's the Attorney General's. 
A no vote would mean that case is heard and whole can of worms may open 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 4:49pm
The Ditch is funded by Paddy Cosgrave.
Hard left site that have dug up some decent stories

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net