Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:04am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Shels 00s V present Dundalk side
Posted By: Bitored
Subject: Shels 00s V present Dundalk side
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:27pm
Who would win?

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Replies:
Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:28pm
Shels doing hand stands............ on second thoughts maybe a draw as a lot of that Shels team haven't played in years.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:32pm
A draw, but a lot of that Shels team have been retired a while

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:35pm
Shelbourne at a canter. 

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:37pm
Not to biased but the Rovers team of the Europa League or Dundalk current batch wouldn't be on par with the team Vs Deportivo. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:38pm
Dundalk 2015 V Shels 2004 V Derry 1989 V Rovers 1987

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:13pm
Shelbourne by a good bit.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: billyoung
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:14pm
Bohs 2008,unbeaten away all season,only lost 2,first and last games.record points goals and clean sheets.should be up there surely.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:50pm
Yep Shels without a doubt , goodness they were very good at the time .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:16pm
Shels mid 00s and the Bohs double team were the best that I have seen.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: skinnymalinx
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:41pm
Only one team in LOI has got though to a European league whilst simultaneously winning 2 in a row
this dundalk team have done a total of sweet f**k all in winning 2 in a row.
If they were to go on a win the league again  next year, or advance to the group stages of a european league then they can be re-assessed.

-------------
beware the ides of march

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:49pm
Agreed that Shels team was the best, was a strong league then too. The Cork City team that won it in 05 and the Derry team were strong too. The standard has dropped an awful lot, this Dundalk team are decent but it is a weak league

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 11:33pm
Rovers team of 1986 were the best I remember. Winning the double was done with the minimum of fuss...

-------------

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:40am
It`s always hard to compare teams from different eras. I was at the Shels-Deportivo game in Lansdowne and Wes Hoolihan was outstanding in midfield, backed up by a very organised defence.
This current Dundalk team are really good and on their day, are arguably more attractive to watch than what`s gone before. Yes, you could blame that on weaker opposition, but my dad goes way back in the LOI and he compares their passing and movement to the great Hoops sides of the 60`s, with O`Neill, Leech and Brophy in attack.

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:00am
The best side I've seen was that shells side. As people have pointed out there were some other very good sides in the league at that time.
I think for dundalk to join them as a great LOI side they have to go on a run in Europe.
The current league is poor compared to what it was at the begging of the millennium. There was 7or8 full time outfits at that stage.
The shells side was great to watch with ndo in his prime, Byrne knocking in the goals and Wes emerging.
The bohs side of 08 was feeding off the scraps of the shells side and I think the Salzburg game had to go differently for them to even be involved in this conversation.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:14am
That shels team were by far the best team in league over last 25 years imo. While the drogs 07 team weren't easy on the eye, we would've given that shels team a good game.

The cork 05 team were the most entertaining of the lot to watch though, but weren't as good as the above mentioned teams.

This craptown side is nowhere near as good as any of them. It's a very poor league and has been getting worse for a number of years now

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:59am
Agree that the Shels team was the best in recent memory.

Think people are being a small bit harsh on Dundalk tho. Back to back doubles on the cards. Win it again next year and through a few rounds in Europe and that will elevate them further up the list. 

Agree with Whelo that the overall standard is dropping year to year.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by billyoung billyoung wrote:

Bohs 2008,unbeaten sway all season,only lost 2,first and last games.record points goals and clean sheets.should be up there surely.
not true, pats beat bohs four games in. Fahey wonder goal at dalymount

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

It`s always hard to compare teams from different eras. I was at the Shels-Deportivo game in Lansdowne and Wes Hoolihan was outstanding in midfield, backed up by a very organised defence.
This current Dundalk team are really good and on their day, are arguably more attractive to watch than what`s gone before. Yes, you could blame that on weaker opposition, but my dad goes way back in the LOI and he compares their passing and movement to the great Hoops sides of the 60`s, with O`Neill, Leech and Brophy in attack.

The Waterford team of the 60's/70's who won 6 leagues in 7 seasons always seemed to be unfairly overlooked in these type of debates.

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:02am

Imagine for a moment that there was a current forum member who was on the fringes of that early 00's Shels team. What a wondrous moment for YBIG that would be be. If only, eh. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:06am
Apologies saint tom,thought that game v pats was the first,i stand corrected.wonder goal is right from fats though,i was standing right beside where he hit it,great goal.still up on you tube i think.

Posted By: RKBarmyArmy
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:07pm
Shelbourne by a country mile. Current Dundalk team are good but in a rubbish league, its a shame standards have dropped so much in ten years. 

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:45pm
I still think the Pats team of 99 with Hawkins, Osam, Gormley, Gilzean and Molloy were the best team Ive seen since I started watching LOI (Around 1992)

Cork City had a great team in 05 as did Shels in 04!
Dundalk now would be of similar standard.

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by RKBarmyArmy RKBarmyArmy wrote:

Shelbourne by a country mile. Current Dundalk team are good but in a rubbish league, its a shame standards have dropped so much in ten years. 

I suppose thats the underlying conversation here. We were as close to having a full time league in the early 00s as we'll ever be and standards were high as a result.
The physical conditioning at dundalk is top class and the rest of the clubs are lagging behind. At most of our clubs there are lads who are known as "gym lads". These are 3 or 4 lads who regularly go to the gym! Thats ridiculous as going to the gym regularly should be the very lesst expected.

-------------

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:40pm
The only way we can subjectively compare teams in Europe. And Dundalk ain't done it

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 12:59am
You`re right "Cabra Hoop", we`ve all overlooked the great Waterford teams of the 60`s and 70`s. The Shels side of the early noughties was no doubt really good but it came at a huge price and sank that club into 12 million of debt.

This Dundalk team was built on the ashes of a relegated and demoralised squad from just a few years ago. Kenny made astute signings, like Horgan from Cork, Towell from the Leinster Senior League, and Finn from Rovers - who had an indifferent last season at Tallaght.

But as RTID pointed out, the litmus test is how these teams from various eras perform in Europe. That`s the benchmark and Shels went very close that season against Deportivo. Dundalk held their own away to BATE this season in the CL, but for some strange reason their key players like Towell and Horgan were overawed by the occasion in Oriel and froze on the night.  

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 2:56am
Bohs 08 team would beat either of those in first gear

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 9:30am
That Dundalk team featured in the recent documentary have to be acknowledged also. Thread is a bit pointless as many woulda only seen LOI recent years. My own bias would plump for the Hoops 84-87 era, shoulda beat a decent Celtic team in the European Cup and played utterly brilliantly against Honved in 1985 for 70 mins.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:11pm
Ah yeah was at that honved game,very good football played by shams against aa high quality hungarian side,their league and international side were on the top table at the time too.

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 3:00pm
What about the Dundalk team in the late 70's and early 80's who did plenty in Europe also?
That Shels team was a good side but it had some money chucked at it and it took a while for that European run to come about including being embarrassed by Hibs of Malta! Europe is also changing in that many minnows have money to spend and Dundalk faced BATE in the first round a team who'd made the group stages the 2 years previously.

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:10pm
Shels weren't Ireland's best team the year they were beaten by Maltese opposition

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Imagine for a moment that there was a current forum member who was on the fringes of that early 00's Shels team. What a wondrous moment for YBIG that would be be. If only, eh. 
LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net