You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shels 00s V present Dundalk side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shels 00s V present Dundalk side
    Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:27pm
Who would win?
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:28pm
Shels doing hand stands............ on second thoughts maybe a draw as a lot of that Shels team haven't played in years.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 17 Sep 2015 at 4:29pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:32pm
A draw, but a lot of that Shels team have been retired a while
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:35pm
Shelbourne at a canter. 

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:37pm
Not to biased but the Rovers team of the Europa League or Dundalk current batch wouldn't be on par with the team Vs Deportivo. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:38pm
Dundalk 2015 V Shels 2004 V Derry 1989 V Rovers 1987
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:13pm
Shelbourne by a good bit.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
billyoung View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:14pm
Bohs 2008,unbeaten away all season,only lost 2,first and last games.record points goals and clean sheets.should be up there surely.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:50pm
Yep Shels without a doubt , goodness they were very good at the time .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:16pm
Shels mid 00s and the Bohs double team were the best that I have seen.
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
skinnymalinx View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinnymalinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:41pm
Only one team in LOI has got though to a European league whilst simultaneously winning 2 in a row
this dundalk team have done a total of sweet f**k all in winning 2 in a row.
If they were to go on a win the league again  next year, or advance to the group stages of a european league then they can be re-assessed.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:49pm
Agreed that Shels team was the best, was a strong league then too. The Cork City team that won it in 05 and the Derry team were strong too. The standard has dropped an awful lot, this Dundalk team are decent but it is a weak league
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 11:33pm
Rovers team of 1986 were the best I remember. Winning the double was done with the minimum of fuss...
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:40am
It`s always hard to compare teams from different eras. I was at the Shels-Deportivo game in Lansdowne and Wes Hoolihan was outstanding in midfield, backed up by a very organised defence.
This current Dundalk team are really good and on their day, are arguably more attractive to watch than what`s gone before. Yes, you could blame that on weaker opposition, but my dad goes way back in the LOI and he compares their passing and movement to the great Hoops sides of the 60`s, with O`Neill, Leech and Brophy in attack.

"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:00am
The best side I've seen was that shells side. As people have pointed out there were some other very good sides in the league at that time.
I think for dundalk to join them as a great LOI side they have to go on a run in Europe.
The current league is poor compared to what it was at the begging of the millennium. There was 7or8 full time outfits at that stage.
The shells side was great to watch with ndo in his prime, Byrne knocking in the goals and Wes emerging.
The bohs side of 08 was feeding off the scraps of the shells side and I think the Salzburg game had to go differently for them to even be involved in this conversation.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:14am
That shels team were by far the best team in league over last 25 years imo. While the drogs 07 team weren't easy on the eye, we would've given that shels team a good game.

The cork 05 team were the most entertaining of the lot to watch though, but weren't as good as the above mentioned teams.

This craptown side is nowhere near as good as any of them. It's a very poor league and has been getting worse for a number of years now
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:59am
Agree that the Shels team was the best in recent memory.

Think people are being a small bit harsh on Dundalk tho. Back to back doubles on the cards. Win it again next year and through a few rounds in Europe and that will elevate them further up the list. 

Agree with Whelo that the overall standard is dropping year to year.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by billyoung billyoung wrote:

Bohs 2008,unbeaten sway all season,only lost 2,first and last games.record points goals and clean sheets.should be up there surely.
not true, pats beat bohs four games in. Fahey wonder goal at dalymount
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic