Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51693
Printed Date: 30 Apr 2024 at 7:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: worst town in Ireland
Posted By: pre Madonna
Subject: worst town in Ireland
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:16pm
The roscommon thread got me thinking, we have some awful places, that from my brief sojourn in Rossieland, believe there are far worse. Can we have some reasonable suggestions, preferably from your own counties. I think those from our larger cities can suggest areas and suburbs.

I will get the ball rolling with Bandon and Dunmanway.
Bandon is quite famous as a sh*tehole due it's sectarian past. An Orange Order lodge died out around the great slaughter of WW1 and there is the well known phrase of even the 'pigs are protestant ', which isn't a reference to the police or the Bandon car but the fact that farmers had to be protestant to sell their wares at the mart. Thankfully these things are long in the past but medieval past times such as inter pub sh*te beatings, inherent ignorance and feeling the need to invade the nearby towns that had the cheek to forget these times are all still going on. I am from a town in West Cork, to get to the City we have to go through Bandon, I am a borderline alcoholic with an obsession for pubs. I have had one pint in Bandon in my life. Enough said.

Dunmanway. Famous for inheriting a group of English hippies in the 70's who liked the name of the large hill that overlooks it, Cool mountain, they are the towns most modern feature and the have beeen stoned since the Beatles were number 1. I once did some work with my stepfather there and he brought me for a pint in a quite corner bar. He has quite tanned skin and a foreign accent. The three other customers and the barman, stared at him for our entire time in the pub. I mentioned on leaving that next time I would bring a tiger. Gatsby's niteclub (sic) is still the only late venue I have seen wellingtons worn.
It is a shame as there is some lovely scenery nearby but it feels like going back in time and not in a quaint or charming way.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Replies:
Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:28pm
Rathkeale, travellers have ruined it.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

isn't it about 80% travelling community?
Is it a gated community?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

isn't it about 80% travelling community?
Is it a gated community?

At least 80% maybe even closer to 90% and no its not gated. My mother grew up there and my girlfriend spent the first 12 years of her life there, with her father being from there and it was a very good place back in those days. I still have a cousin who lives there but there is feck all left in the place in terms of shops, pubs, etc. My uncle came home from Oz last christmas after being away for over 20 years and it actually both really upset and annoyed him the state it was in.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:49pm
Gated was a joke

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:52pm

Gated was a joke

Oh right

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:13pm
Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
All towns and cities north of the border
Limerick

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Whats wrong with Limerick?

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:16pm

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Everything, it's a kip

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:20pm

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Everything, it's a kip

Ah come on, thats a lazy response, give some proper examples.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:27pm
I think valid reasons must be given.
I suggested they were towns or regions from your county/city and that our cities be split into regions. Especially someone from Drogheda. I would have had your town down as money on

-------------

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:32pm

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Even your historical home town in the north?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:33pm

I think valid reasons must be given.
I suggested they were towns or regions from your county/city and that our cities be split into regions. Especially someone from Drogheda. I would have had your town down as money on

He's a Dub living in Meath but link's to the north

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:50pm
As has beenalready stated, both Meath and Louth are 2 of the counties of Dublin or greater Jackland

-------------

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:12pm
Bundoran ( not really from my county... but close enough)..... was a holiday treat every summer when we were kids.....it was not up to much in the 60s..... and it is still the same a sh*thole that reminds me of a small Blackpool

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Bundoran ( not really from my county... but close enough)..... was a holiday treat every summer when we were kids.....it was not up to much in the 60s..... and it is still the same a sh*thole that reminds me of a small Blackpool

It was great in the late 90s and easy 00s. Now even in the summer it's the f**king pits

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:14pm
KILRUSH.....all day long.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:40pm
Bandon and Cobh are the worst two in Cork.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 4:16pm
Wouldn't be a decent town in Tipperary.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 4:32pm
Balbriggan, Mullingar, Dundalk all absolute kips

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:01pm
athlone wudnt have a whole.pile.happening either

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:15pm
Somebody was telling me they call it Blackbriggan now.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Even your historical home town in the north?

Total kip

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:18pm
Athlone gets a lot of grief but seems like a nice town to me.

As someone mentioned,I don't think there's a decent town in Tipperary

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:20pm
Athlone is grand.
Castlebar is pretty sh*te, definitely the worst in Mayo

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

KILRUSH.....all day long.

Yeah was in it a few years ago and it is a complete kip - if they ever make an Irish version of Deliverance it will be based there.

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:32pm

Gated was a joke

Oh right

It was gated before paddy Doherty and co got there

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Athlone is grand.

Castlebar is on the up,was a bit of a kip when i was growing up there in the 90's (when i say bit of a kip,i mean typical Irsih provincial town) The opening of the lake walk way in 2012 changed the town,add the that the new greenway,the entire new town centre  and lots of investment (thanks Enda and Michael Ring!) It's a great town.

Second biggest shopping area in Connacht (after Galway) Serious social initiatives by the locals,a festival every weekend between now and september,could go on all day about it.Really shows how a town can be turned around and genuinely proud of the place.

Come down for a visit 9fingers,I'll buy you a pint in Mick Byrnes.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:52pm
Strabane - close thread

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:59pm
Always surprised by Athlone being included in such a debate. Enjoyed my trips there, the locals are decent, had a few decent meals and drinks, far from the worst.

Also Cobh? I would class Cobh as a beautiful town , full of history. Granted I would avoid it on a Saturday night as it can be quite rough but it is far from what I would class as a kip.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:11pm
Thurles, Mullingar, Bundoran, Athlone,

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Athlone is grand.

Castlebar is on the up,was a bit of a kip when i was growing up there in the 90's (when i say bit of a kip,i mean typical Irsih provincial town) The opening of the lake walk way in 2012 changed the town,add the that the new greenway,the entire new town centre  and lots of investment (thanks Enda and Michael Ring!) It's a great town.

Second biggest shopping area in Connacht (after Galway) Serious social initiatives by the locals,a festival every weekend between now and september,could go on all day about it.Really shows how a town can be turned around and genuinely proud of the place.

I'll visit with an open mind next time. My father grew up in Westport and hates Castlebar maybe he's influencing me!

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:17pm
There's a lot of run down towns in the rural west and north. I would have to say Limerick though, I've never been to any other town where you have to ring a bell to get into a pub at 3pm. It wasn't just one pub like.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:18pm
I have. Usually early in the morning

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:23pm

Athlone is grand.

I'll visit with an open mind next time. My father grew up in Westport and hates Castlebar maybe he's influencing me!

Good man! Yeah,there's was a big Castlebar/Westport rivalry when i was growing up as well,seems to be less now as you can't really argue,Westport is such a great town,even us Castlebar folk are over there the whole time.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:25pm

You were in one of the pubs ffs, it had a riot squad outside the door.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

You were in one of the pubs ffs, it had a riot squad outside the door.

the one that was hosting the 18th? I rang no bell to get in, they must have seen you coming

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:53pm
Tralee is another kip. Apert from the scenery the actual town of Dingle is a kip.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Irish Duke
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 8:07pm
Sadly most towns & cities in Ireland are boring & sometimes downright nasty kips after closing time. Athlone Rathkeale & Bundoran are way up there in fairness. 

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 8:08pm
No way Dingle is a kip. Personally consider Killarney a kip, although it has slightly improved since taking the sh*t off the roads. Would prefer Tralee to Killarney

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 8:38pm

Athlone is grand.

Jaysus 9 fingers, the worst in Mayo?! Not even feckin close. Lovely town nowadays. But missing a proper music scene. Had one back in the day, long gone now sadly. But a few people trying to get it up and running again.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 8:50pm
Ballinasloe
Tullamore
Thurles

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:05am
Up north wins this, nothing is worse then the wee unionist and deep republican areas, unwelcoming and just dirty 

as mentioned in previous posts.. my favourite spot Clough

Larne
Portavogie 
Comber 
Newtonards Road.. Falls road.. 

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:26am
Mountmellick
Portlaoise

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:40am
Would agree on Mountmellick, and Mountrath is another absolute tip. Portlaoise is also very disjointed, not quite as ugly as Shannon or Loughrea but at least it has a train station to make a quick escape.
In fact, save for the Slieve Blooms & a little village called Castletown I used to stop in driving Southwest, Laois as an entire County could be blown up, before turning the entire Midlands into a reservoir.

NOWHERE is worse than Thurles tho.

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:43am
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Mountmellick
Portlaoise

Stop everything and close this thread. We have a winner. Portlaoise (is it port leash or port leash-uh?)
Nowhere can possibly be worse. It makes Bandon seem like Barcelona, if rumours are to be believed, wardens at the prison have to stop locals from breaking into the prison. I believe we had all burned it from our minds but now it is back. Has anybody got a light?

-------------

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:48am
Locals in Portlaoise leave both the hospital & Prison without fail every morning before sunrise to take a return bus to Finglas for milk & bread.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:33am
3 pages, and nobody has mentioned New Ross. Jaysus. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:33am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Up north wins this, nothing is worse then the wee unionist and deep republican areas, unwelcoming and just dirty 

as mentioned in previous posts.. my favourite spot Clough

Larne
Portavogie 
Comber 
Newtonards Road.. Falls road.. 

Was driving through there one day and, having never been in a truly unionist area before, was amazed at how British the place was. The roundabouts with the uvf crest (think it's the uvf crest anyway) and the big metal crown cracked me up. 

Grew up beside Ballyer, has always been an impressive sh1thole. The area just over the bridge beside Labre Park has been and still is an absolute disgrace.

Wouldnt be the roughest town by any means but have always regarded Celbridge as a shyte town. Lived in it for 4 years and it's a terribly laid out town that has f*ck all going for it.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:37am
Mullingar
Edenderry
Castlebar

All Dirty kips!

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:38am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

3 pages, and nobody has mentioned New Ross. Jaysus. 

Go to college with a lad from wexford and he reckons New Ross is the worst place in the county.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:09am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Athlone is grand.

Jaysus 9 fingers, the worst in Mayo?! Not even feckin close. Lovely town nowadays. But missing a proper music scene. Had one back in the day, long gone now sadly. But a few people trying to get it up and running again.

What's the worst in Mayo so?

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:51am
Shannon. Maybe not the worst but the most boring town.
It was a great place as a kid growing up because there were loads of other young families around so lots of other kids to play ball with etc but there is f**k all to do.
There's too many houses for the amount of pubs,shops and restaurants. And you've got to drive to feckin limerick just to go to the cinema.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Shannon. Maybe not the worst but the most boring town.
It was a great place as a kid growing up because there were loads of other young families around so lots of other kids to play ball with etc but there is f**k all to do.
There's too many houses for the amount of pubs,shops and restaurants. And you've got to drive to feckin limerick just to go to the cinema.

surely that is a redeeming feature?

-------------

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:44am
I was in Mullingar last year and it was by far the worst Irish town i've been in. Zero redeeming features. 

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:49am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I was in Mullingar last year and it was by far the worst Irish town i've been in. Zero redeeming features. 

eh, the Joe Dolan statue? The chance to see an Olympic boxing medallist fight in front of you for free, you can even take him on yourself with the right question.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:04pm
Abbeyfeale in Kerry, the town has produced nothing of note bar a few decent Kerry barmen

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:12pm
Is Abbeyfeale not in Limerick? Anyway, any town that gives the world Dennis Behan is absolved from criticism

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:19pm
I don't know what map you've been looking at pm but it's clearly in Kerry

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:43pm
Abbeyfeale is a historical market town in County Limerick, Ireland near the boundary with County Kerry. The town is in the south west of Ireland, some 21 km from Newcastle West on the N21 – the main road from Limerick to Tralee. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:55pm
I'd double check that pm, some eejits have been known to mess with the auld Google settings, Deco is your expert here and he's adamant he's a Kerry man

-------------

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:11pm
It's in limerick.
Castleisland a sh*thole

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:13pm

Abbeyfeale in Kerry, the town has produced nothing of note bar a few decent Kerry barmen

AngryAngryAngry

It produced my mother, Philly, you coont. 

I will hunt you down and kill you. 

Abbeyfeale is in Limerick, and it is a noble town. Clap

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:24pm
According to pretty much everything and everyone, it is in Limerick. Of course nearby townlands would be in Kerry. Also, if you had a choice, shere would you say you were from?

-------------

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:24pm
This is Philly on a windup I'm from Abbeyfeale ❤️❤️❤️ And it's deffo in limerick. Is your mom from the town sid?

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:30pm

Athlone is grand.

Ha! Mark,i was involved in that music scene,there was about 6-7 pubs in the late 90's with music going on,now there is maybe 1.People get very wound up about this,i think its just a change in the way people go out,no big deal.

9fingers,the worst town in Mayo is without doubt Ballyhaunis,so far inland it's nearly in Roscommon,smells bad (literally) and is a total sh1thole.Now having said that i have bought every suit i own from Eddie Murphy's menswear!
What's the worst in Mayo so?

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

This is Philly on a windup I'm from Abbeyfeale ❤️❤️❤️ And it's deffo in limerick. Is your mom from the town sid?

from me brief visit to your home town, it shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

-------------

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:53pm

Yes, originally. The family moved to Galway when she was 17 though. 

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 2:25pm
Clearly you boy's are still using the old British colonial boundaries as per the 1879 continental shelf ownership act, this was rectified during the 1922 Irish lands act, Google being a British institution still refers to the old 1879 boundaries

Therefore Sid and Deco are good kerry men

-------------

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 3:18pm
Dundalk and Drogheda. Not sure which is worse. Longford and Mullingar are hell holes as well. 

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 3:36pm
Drogheda is full of robbers, was doing a job outside of a shop not too long ago and 2 thieving coonts proceeded off down the road with my A frame ladder, no big deal you say, but for the fact my apprentice was still fckin up on it 

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:49pm
It's just a shame, kimbap. there used to be a serious amount of bands that came from town. Kids aren't playing music at all now. It's sad, but such is life. 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Dundalk and Drogheda. Not sure which is worse. Longford and Mullingar are hell holes as well. 

drawda is worse, its full of dubs these days

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:53pm
Drawda is a complete kip. I find Dundalk ok, seems to have a high ratio of good looking women too.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

and some have A Frame Ladders.....well, for a while that is

-------------

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

and some have A Frame Ladders.....well, for a while that is
LOL fook off

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:10pm

It's just a shame, kimbap. there used to be a serious amount of bands that came from town. Kids aren't playing music at all now. It's sad, but such is life. 

Yeah,i dont really get that wound up about it,things change.The music scene was mental in Cbar around 96-2001.As  i said i was right in the middle of it playing in a few bands.People lament it now and it's a bit sad,it's different scene when you go out now and so be it.

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:32pm

Clearly you boy's are still using the old British colonial boundaries as per the 1879 continental shelf ownership act, this was rectified during the 1922 Irish lands act, Google being a British institution still refers to the old 1879 boundaries

Phillyk your a numpty

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:17pm
cobh all day long. midleton is also full of knackers

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:48pm
How the fook is Cobh a sh*thole? I just can't see it at all!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:52pm
knacker central. dodgiest kip on earth at night

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:52pm

I'll repeat my fb post, when you go to nickname school and finally graduate then you can call me names etc, until then go back to fecking kerry ya fecking Kerry hore

Phillyk your a numpty

As per the Sunday scoops thread this post has been brought to you from q very intoxicated state

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

can be dodgy at night but not as dodgy as Bandon, Carrigaline, Togher or Mayfield and that is just in Cork!
I have never been there later than full time at Colman's. I assume you had an experience but that is not an ugly town, that is for sure!

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Bandon and Cobh are the worst two in Cork.

Go way and fcuk yourself. Cobh is fine. Plenty worse around.

Working in Dundalk for the next few weeks. What an absolute kip of a place.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:05pm

Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

can be dodgy at night but not as dodgy as Bandon, Carrigaline, Togher or Mayfield and that is just in Cork!
I have never been there later than full time at Colman's. I assume you had an experience but that is not an ugly town, that is for sure!

togher, mayfield, the grange and glanmire are all mental but not really towns. nothing ever happened to me personally in cobh but ufc fans should just pull up in the car around closing time, horrible feeling in that town at night. great for a day session lovely people but some amount of knackers dragging the place down

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:18pm
So because it is a bit dodgy at night, it is a kip? A bit harsh. I made the OP and I mentioned areas of larger towns etc. To be taken separately, Glanmire is classed as a town though.
Loads of towns are dodgy at night. I would rather walk into a halting site and shout f**k the knackers' then go for a pint in the stables or Bridewell in Bangding (Bandon on maps) and that is a full blown kip 24 hours a day. A fella tried to start a fight in Limerick city centre last Saturday evening for no reason at all, I still wouldn't classify it as the worst in Ireland ( mind you, it won't get many mentions in the 'nicest' thread either!). I have no connection to Cobh but used to go there reasonably regularly by choice, it is a pretty, seaside town. Brought visitors from England for a day out there and the complaints were minimal from them. Plenty to do for a town of 10 thousand odd

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:54pm
Got lost when I was in college in cork and ended up in Mayfield! Jesus, no wonder Roy has issues

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:53pm
Sion mills...not a nice town

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:08pm
There are some beautiful towns in the UK.....I have been lucky to have been to many.......but they are not as great as any of our towns at HOME......my own ... Sligo Town.... The Gateway City ( the gateway to where... Bundoran?)

Ireland is a great place ... don't. knock any of it

-------------

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:22pm

There are some beautiful towns in the UK.....I have been lucky to have been to many.......but they are not as great as any of our towns at HOME......my own ... Sligo Town.... The Gateway City ( the gateway to where... Bundoran?)

Ireland is a great place ... don't. knock any of it
you are so right...Ireland is a great place.

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:39pm
True Hornet, all is relative...............to Watford!

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:00pm
2 lads that were in my course in college from Carrick and Clonmel used to argue the whole time over which place was the bigger dump,both were convinced that their own towns were the worst Ireland had to offer.Couldn't really disagree with either

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:59pm
Bray and Courtown when the sun comes out

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:39pm
Courtown would be alright, if they kept the dubs out. Used to see a girl from Gorey and went to Courtown a few times, went down one day when they played a gah match. f**king hell, was like Benidorm. Beer bellies, sh*t arms and bad tattoos everywhere. Generic fighting, kids from Angela'a Ashes running riot and numerous contenders for world's most frightening woman. On the plus side, the crazy golf was relatively empty and I scored well on the back nine

-------------

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:41pm

Courtown would be alright, if they kept the dubs out. Used to see a girl from Gorey and went to Courtown a few times, went down one day when they played a gah match. f**king hell, was like Benidorm. Beer bellies, sh*t arms and bad tattoos everywhere. Generic fighting, kids from Angela'a Ashes running riot and numerous contenders for world's most frightening women. On the plus side, the crazy golf was relatively empty and I scored well on the back nine

Pirates Cove, what a spot

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:49pm
Antrim 

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

Courtown would be alright, if they kept the dubs out. Used to see a girl from Gorey and went to Courtown a few times, went down one day when they played a gah match. f**king hell, was like Benidorm. Beer bellies, sh*t arms and bad tattoos everywhere. Generic fighting, kids from Angela'a Ashes running riot and numerous contenders for world's most frightening women. On the plus side, the crazy golf was relatively empty and I scored well on the back nine

Pirates Cove, what a spot

pitarets cove, no. She was fairly tight

-------------

Posted By: GREENISLE
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:46pm
Antrim town, an awful kip...

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:42pm
Bandon is no doubt a rough enough spot but it is home to the Hammies and there are plenty of good pubs on the northside as scumbags never climb the hill. Also gave birth to many Irish heroes like Tom Barry.As for the Bridewell stay well away there's been men killed in there. Won't ever move back but enjoy my visits.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Bandon is no doubt a rough enough spot but it is home to the Hammies and there are plenty of good pubs on the northside as scumbags never climb the hill. Also gave birth to many Irish heroes like Tom Barry.As for the Bridewell stay well away there's been men killed in there. Won't ever move back but enjoy my visits.

How can Bandon claim Tom Barry? Tom was born in Killorglin, moving at a young age to the Ardfield-Rathbarry area as his dad was in RIC man and was stationed in Rosscarbery. Barry's wife, Leslie Price, was a Bandon woman and was engagaged to Barry's closest friend in the Army,Charlie Hurley, at the time of his death in Crossbarry. Price was herself an active Republica , bing director of organisations for Cumann na mBán. Ye will be claiming Collins next

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net