You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

worst town in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: worst town in Ireland
    Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:16pm
The roscommon thread got me thinking, we have some awful places, that from my brief sojourn in Rossieland, believe there are far worse. Can we have some reasonable suggestions, preferably from your own counties. I think those from our larger cities can suggest areas and suburbs.

I will get the ball rolling with Bandon and Dunmanway.
Bandon is quite famous as a sh*tehole due it's sectarian past. An Orange Order lodge died out around the great slaughter of WW1 and there is the well known phrase of even the 'pigs are protestant ', which isn't a reference to the police or the Bandon car but the fact that farmers had to be protestant to sell their wares at the mart. Thankfully these things are long in the past but medieval past times such as inter pub sh*te beatings, inherent ignorance and feeling the need to invade the nearby towns that had the cheek to forget these times are all still going on. I am from a town in West Cork, to get to the City we have to go through Bandon, I am a borderline alcoholic with an obsession for pubs. I have had one pint in Bandon in my life. Enough said.

Dunmanway. Famous for inheriting a group of English hippies in the 70's who liked the name of the large hill that overlooks it, Cool mountain, they are the towns most modern feature and the have beeen stoned since the Beatles were number 1. I once did some work with my stepfather there and he brought me for a pint in a quite corner bar. He has quite tanned skin and a foreign accent. The three other customers and the barman, stared at him for our entire time in the pub. I mentioned on leaving that next time I would bring a tiger. Gatsby's niteclub (sic) is still the only late venue I have seen wellingtons worn.
It is a shame as there is some lovely scenery nearby but it feels like going back in time and not in a quaint or charming way.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:28pm
Rathkeale, travellers have ruined it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

isn't it about 80% travelling community?
Is it a gated community?
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

isn't it about 80% travelling community?
Is it a gated community?

At least 80% maybe even closer to 90% and no its not gated. My mother grew up there and my girlfriend spent the first 12 years of her life there, with her father being from there and it was a very good place back in those days. I still have a cousin who lives there but there is feck all left in the place in terms of shops, pubs, etc. My uncle came home from Oz last christmas after being away for over 20 years and it actually both really upset and annoyed him the state it was in.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:49pm
Gated was a joke
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:52pm

Gated was a joke

Oh right
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:13pm
Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
All towns and cities north of the border
Limerick
Chips don't bounce
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Whats wrong with Limerick?
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:16pm

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Everything, it's a kip
Chips don't bounce
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:20pm

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Everything, it's a kip

Ah come on, thats a lazy response, give some proper examples.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:27pm
I think valid reasons must be given.
I suggested they were towns or regions from your county/city and that our cities be split into regions. Especially someone from Drogheda. I would have had your town down as money on

Edited by pre Madonna - 23 May 2015 at 2:29pm
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:32pm

Longford
Athlone
Dundalk
Mulingar
Limerick

Even your historical home town in the north?
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:33pm

I think valid reasons must be given.
I suggested they were towns or regions from your county/city and that our cities be split into regions. Especially someone from Drogheda. I would have had your town down as money on

He's a Dub living in Meath but link's to the north
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:50pm
As has beenalready stated, both Meath and Louth are 2 of the counties of Dublin or greater Jackland
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:12pm
Bundoran ( not really from my county... but close enough)..... was a holiday treat every summer when we were kids.....it was not up to much in the 60s..... and it is still the same a sh*thole that reminds me of a small Blackpool
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Bundoran ( not really from my county... but close enough)..... was a holiday treat every summer when we were kids.....it was not up to much in the 60s..... and it is still the same a sh*thole that reminds me of a small Blackpool

It was great in the late 90s and easy 00s. Now even in the summer it's the f**king pits
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:14pm
KILRUSH.....all day long.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:40pm
Bandon and Cobh are the worst two in Cork.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic