Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=20615
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 11:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Alan Smith (A First!!)
Posted By: heyirish
Subject: Alan Smith (A First!!)
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:32am
First ever Republic of Ireland (youth) international to sign for Rangers. Brave decision really especially for a young lad. Walter Smith says he will be in first team within 2 years. He is only 17. Thoughts??

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Replies:
Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:35am
rangers will have shut down in 2 years and he can go to a decent team   

in fairness best of luck to him , will be delighted if he makes it

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: BoboDub
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:49am
He's certainbly the first in recent history, but there have been 3 former internationals from the republic of ireland  who have played for rangers.

It's a good move for the lad.  He'll be training with some good players and if he's good enough he'll get in and eventually move on to a EPL club.  If gets in and isn't good enough, he'll probably move to another SPL club. 

Either way going to a club like that provides a massive parachute for young lads that going to a smaller club doesn't.  So good luck to him.  I can't see him getting any abuse from Rangers fans anyway - although the aura around him might be intimidating, hopefuly he can rise above it.  If any Celtic fans give him abuse, then they're as bigoted as the "Ireland" fans who kept targetting Rangers players on the opposition in international games for special treatment.  I remember Alan Maybury getting sh1t thrown at him in the street when he used to cycle around fairview in and whitehall to training in a rangers tracksuit he had brought back from a trial. 

Let's hope if he does make it and get in the Ireland team those scumbags don't get near a ticket or else we could have another Lee Carsley incident (where he was disgracefully booed and then cheered when he was taken off against Russia, basically for not being Roy Keane).  I am not entirely against voicing approval at an association but singling out your own players for individual abuse is almost inexcusable.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:20am
Fair play to him. Brave move for a young lad.

Alan Kernaghan is youth team manager there so he must have had some influence.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:21am
Some reaction from http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=157244&st=0 - Rangers fans to the signing

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Belfast Green Belfast Green wrote:

Some reaction from http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=157244&st=0 - Rangers fans to the signing

More pro than neg comments. Seem like a great bunch of lads Big%20smile

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:17am
no offense but its not usually the scum element that post on forums plus any scum that do are removed by mods.  I think he will get abuse like lennon got at windsor especially if he akes it into the republic first team.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:28am
Hope he does well and is respected by the rangers fans.

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:33am
He's from Cobh!Thumbs%20Up

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:38am
fair fuks to him

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Propagandhi
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:14am
@bout Alan Maybury

I'm from a Protestant background. I wouldn't wear a Rangers tracksuit in Dublin. I know it's a free country and everything but you don't have to support Rangers just because of your religion. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt Maybury's descendents even came from Glasgow.

I don't support Rangers btw.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:17am
he ll probably get more abuse of the barstool celtic brigade in ireland than he ll get off the huns in glasgow who go the games

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:22am

The Newcastle player Alan Smith is a Rangers fan. What a coincidence!

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:31am
Good luck to him, and id guess he will get a great welcome by the majority of Ibrox .... its the treatment he'll get at Celtic Park that would concern me if he makes it through to the 1st team.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

he ll probably get more abuse of the barstool celtic brigade in ireland than he ll get off the huns in glasgow who go the games

Yer on the button there Q, and it will probably be worse if he becomes a regular. Best of luck to the youngfella anywayClap

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:48am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Yer on the button there Q, and it will probably be worse if he becomes a regular. Best of luck to the youngfella anywayClap

i think i read some where that a lad from monaghan near the border had been offered trials with rangers and his dad wouldnt let him go as he was afraid of what would happen to his family in there own community im nearly sure he played in one of the drogheda youth teams

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:24am

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

i think i read some where that a lad from monaghan near the border had been offered trials with rangers and his dad wouldnt let him go as he was afraid of what would happen to his family in there own community im nearly sure he played in one of the drogheda youth teams

Cant find the story but there was some lad from Drogheda and his aul lad was threatened by Celtic fans.

-------------

Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:37am
A friend of mine thougth the lad at school in cobh

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:40am
http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2009/11/sectarian-fear-for-17-year-old.html - http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2009/11/sectarian-fear-for-17-year-old.html

THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate finalBy Marcus Cavaroli
THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.

Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate final against English professional side Bournemouth.

The Scottish giants wanted to offer young Pete a trial, but when Kierans rang the boy’s father Paddy with the ‘good news’ he didn’t get the response he might have expected.

‘It would be a bigger honour if it was Celtic,’ Paddy told the Drogheda Independent this week. ‘But although Pete is a big Celtic and Man United fan, he was very happy when I told him and he would love to go.

‘But we live in Castleblayney, three miles south of the border, which is very awkward. We haven’t been victims ourselves, but there’s a serious sectarian problem where we are.

‘At the end of the day, it’s only football and people would be robbing the house if he went to Rangers.’

The McMahon family returned to County Monaghan in 1999 after 34 years in England, where young Pete had a trial with Blackburn Rovers and once scored 57 goals in a single season for Evergreen, an underage club in Watford where he was born.

After spells with Monaghan United and Dundalk, the youngster changed clubs again, opting for Drogheda as it gave him the opportunity of playing Premier Division football in the Dublin & District League.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:43am

Where does it say threats from Celtic fans as you alluded to in previous posts ? Confused 

Usual anti-Celtic bullsh*t from you again Gouldy.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:43am
Best of luck Alan. Maybe this is a sign of progress

Hope he gets the respect he deserves from Irish and Rangers supporters alike.

G'wan Rangers!

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Where does it say threats from Celtic fans as you alluded to in previous posts ? Confused 

Im sure his aul lad in his lifetime has been threatened by a Celtic fan

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:52am
Judas!
Seriously this lad is going to get alot of abuse over this move.
I can guarantee you even the Rangers fans will abuse him big time.
Even his own mates and neighbours will give him stick.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by horsebox1977 horsebox1977 wrote:

Judas!

why?

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:07am

Judas!

I hope not but it is a distinct possibility to be fair. This will be very interesting to see what happens because if it doesnt work out no Irish person will ever sign for Rangers again. I wouldnt imagine he will have too many problems with the squad but the games will be interesting at the beginning

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:11am

Judas!

You do know he has different mates and neighbours than yourself and is probably from a more civilised way of life like than you are. There is a world outside of your own.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:12am

that website is a crock as well , lot of hatred in the clown who runs that , and the clowns who read it

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:22am
Good luck to him, he will probably need it

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

that website is a crock as well , lot of hatred in the clown who runs that , and the clowns who read it

Didn't open it so didn't realise. Good man Gouldy back up your story using an anti-Celtic website. Clown 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

Judas!

You do know he has different mates and neighbours than yourself and is probably from a more civilised way of life like than you are. There is a world outside of your own.

What exactly is that meant to mean?

Do you honestly think that he is not going to get stick from both Rangers  and Celtic supporters?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:12pm
fair play to him. big club, playing for trophies every season. 50k fans every second week.

-------------
cup champions

Posted By: FiremanDan
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:39pm
I think you'll find what was written on that site was the sanitised version. No different to me coming on here and spouting racist or sectarian sh*te. It would be removed within minutes. So while the lad has balls to sign for a club like Rangers I have to say I would fear for him if he ever represented Ireland and full international level. Best of luck to him but while the majority of Rangers fans may welcome this guy 10% is still a minority which would represent 4,000 Rangers fans at a home game. And that represents a lot of potential abuse.

On another matter though don't you just love ill-educated bigots ? One Rangers fan wrote when referring to Steven Davis and Kyle Lafferty as being Irish players at Rangers. He wrote, and I quote

" to be correct they are Ulstermen or Ulster-scots so not of Irish disent "

Disent - love it. I wonder is that the same type of "disent" (sic) that gets you booked for arguing with a referee!!

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:32pm
I wish him all the best and hope he progresses well at Rangers.

I don't care what club our players are playing for as long as they progress to a level were they can do a good job for Ireland. That's my only concern.

I would be utterly ashamed if this lad progressed to international level and was given stick by our support because he plays for a particular british club.

I'll certainly be keeping a good look out to see how he's doing at Rangers.

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Posted By: FiremanDan
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Belfast Green Belfast Green wrote:

I wish him all the best and hope he progresses well at Rangers.

I don't care what club our players are playing for as long as they progress to a level were they can do a good job for Ireland. That's my only concern.

I would be utterly ashamed if this lad progressed to international level and was given stick by our support because he plays for a particular british club.

I'll certainly be keeping a good look out to see how he's doing at Rangers.

I never considered the other abuse this guy might get. Good point. I hope we never reach the level AGAIN where we boo out own players for whatever reason. But I'm afraid to say I feel it will happen. As I said before a minority could still amount to a few hundred or more. That's enough to make noise.

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2009/11/sectarian-fear-for-17-year-old.html - http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2009/11/sectarian-fear-for-17-year-old.html

THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate finalBy Marcus Cavaroli
THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.

Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate final against English professional side Bournemouth.

The Scottish giants wanted to offer young Pete a trial, but when Kierans rang the boy’s father Paddy with the ‘good news’ he didn’t get the response he might have expected.

‘It would be a bigger honour if it was Celtic,’ Paddy told the Drogheda Independent this week. ‘But although Pete is a big Celtic and Man United fan, he was very happy when I told him and he would love to go.

‘But we live in Castleblayney, three miles south of the border, which is very awkward. We haven’t been victims ourselves, but there’s a serious sectarian problem where we are.

‘At the end of the day, it’s only football and people would be robbing the house if he went to Rangers.’

The McMahon family returned to County Monaghan in 1999 after 34 years in England, where young Pete had a trial with Blackburn Rovers and once scored 57 goals in a single season for Evergreen, an underage club in Watford where he was born.

After spells with Monaghan United and Dundalk, the youngster changed clubs again, opting for Drogheda as it gave him the opportunity of playing Premier Division football in the Dublin & District League.

yeah thats the article

Posted By: Chopper 76
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:23pm
thats a brave lad fair play to him it shouldnt matter where hes from anyway so long as he does the job for the huns.

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:29pm
there's some awful idiots on that forum, same secterian minority on a forum where the majority want to become contemporary and stamp out the anti-irish bullsh*t. i'm delighted for the boy, signing for a big club like rangers. i don't care for this "oh he's irish, he can't play for rangers, what will people say?!" lark. we should all cheer on our own players no matter what club they play for and hopefully this is a step in the right direction; alleviating right-wing bigotry that exists in Scottish football. i just hope the idiots that should be ashamed to call themselves ranger fans don't get to him. they don't even probably know he even signed for the club tbh. they're just concerned about getting hammered at the next rangers game and spouting loyalist bollocks. these people need to be erradicated for the good of the game and signing an irishman shows a positive chance in rangers football club's policy. a big thumbs up from me

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: wolfe
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 6:19pm
he'll get it tight from his new teams own fans just because of who he is, he'll get it tight from Celtic fans because of who he plays for - same as everyone else who is happy to represent that particular team - goes with the job - if he doesn't like it , he should take his tools elsewhere.

-------------
come ahead

Posted By: Daz
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:29pm
"Tims have timmy names"

what a bunch of fools on that forum and askking was he a republican

and all

-------------
YBIG - Where everyone is a fooking expert :)

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:03pm
I wouldnt want a son of mine to play for rangers.
It will cause moments of sh*te in his life that he wouldnt get if he signed elsewhere.
To be honest, Id love to see a few Irish sign for German or other European clubs clubs instead of premiership circus clubs that have manangers in for 2 yrs only that havent time to even look at young players.
Does that make me a biggot ?

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 3:02am
Originally posted by wolfe wolfe wrote:

he'll get it tight from his new teams own fans just because of who he is, he'll get it tight from Celtic fans because of who he plays for - same as everyone else who is happy to represent that particular team - goes with the job - if he doesn't like it , he should take his tools elsewhere.

Thats ok as long as its on the pitch not around the street etc and also as long as if he makes the breakthrough for ireland he doesnt get abuse from Irish fans which is a possibility

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 3:44am
Just look at hte level of abuse Lennon and McGeady get -
Lennon has also been involved in a number of off field incidents which basically come down to who he plays for and wheres he from.
For a 17 year old to be subjected to this level of abuse will be extremely difficult to deal with.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 3:59am
Is this lad even meant to be any use??? First i've heard of him...

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 4:08am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Is this lad even meant to be any use??? First i've heard of him...

he is only 17 and Walter Smith reckons he will be first choice before he is 20 so he cant be too bad

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:08am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

It will cause moments of sh*te in his life that he wouldnt get if he signed elsewhere.
To be honest, Id love to see a few Irish sign for German or other European clubs clubs instead of premiership circus clubs that have manangers in for 2 yrs only that havent time to even look at young players.

noit makes you a **** ,cause thats what you are

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 7:20am
i would have no problem with my son signing for rangers

kenny dalglishs dad saw him score a penalty in his first game against rangers , both kenny and his dad lifelong rangers men

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 7:28am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

It doesn't make you a bigot, but it does make you a passive sympathiser for the bigots.  If I had a son and he wanted to play for them, it would principally be what he wanted that would matter to me.  Yes I know he'd have to put up with some sh1te from both sides but I'd admire him even more for saying enough is enough and rising about it all.

BTW as regards:
Originally posted by Propagandhi Propagandhi wrote:

@bout Alan Maybury

I'm from a Protestant background. I wouldn't wear a Rangers tracksuit in Dublin. I know it's a free country and everything but you don't have to support Rangers just because of your religion. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt Maybury's descendents even came from Glasgow.

As far as I know he wasn't wearing the tracksuit because he was a supporter - I don't know who he supported so maybe he was maybe he wasn't - as I said in the thread afaik he wore it because it was given to him when he was on trial over there and as any other lads who goes on trial to a club they wear the gear when they come home and are proud of their achievement. 

And anyway, why should anyone in Ireland have to be protestant to support Rangers, or even if his descendants came from glasgow? What if they were relatives or friends of Irish players who had played for them, or friends of those?  How about he just likes the kit, or the way one of their players plays, or, like 60% of Irish fans of Manchester United, or 90% of Liverpool fans, support them because they're successful.

People have their own reasons for supporting teams - if it's a "free country" you don't need people to justify themselves.

The bigotted crap out there particularly on the Celtic Rangers side of things will just continue unless lads like Smith are supported 100% and the naysayers are stood up to.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 7:43am

Eh guys you are really embarrassing yourselves with the manlove for Rangers. Go on their forums. Go on Bebo. Go on Facebook and look at Rangers groups. Catholics and Irish people are despised to an unhealthy extent. A Rangers fan playing for Celtic not taboo. A Catholic playing for Rangers. A problem that has almost been eliminated. An Irish guy playing for Rangers will always be a taboo. Nacho Novo was assaulted by his own fans for wearing a cross around his neck. Maybe if an Irish person was hammered in Glasgow for doing the same thing ye would change your ideology. There are 44 other clubs in Britain. Why play for a team that had/has a "No Black, No Irish and No Dogs" policy.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 7:57am
Through work I know a lot of rangers fans - like a lot of football clubs in industrial cities (including our own), you have fans who are genuine football fans, and you have knob heads.  Given the sectarian history of glasgow and the north, you get more (in terms of number and lunacy) knob heads attaching themselves to celtic and rangers both in the teraces and, sadly, in the boardroom in the recent past.  But it is not fair to tar them all with the same brush.  God forbid someone did that to Celtic fans. And this sh1t will never change unless people start supporting stand outs who rise above it.

Especially for a keeper it is doubly brave.

BTW I read the ranegrs forum this thread linked to - by and large it seemed 85% or so of the supporters were backing Smith, and denouncing the few knob heads who chose to contribute. 

You asked why play for Rangers - here's a few reasons (which are the same for any other big EPL club) to counter the bad issues :
(1) they have one of the biggest fan bases in the world
(2) you'll get paid more (it is, after all, a job)
(3) they are one of the most successful sides in history
(4) it is a great springboard to move up or down if your time there doesn't work out

But the biggest things going for Rangers as opposed to the big EPL sides:
you're more likely to get a game for them, and they actually want to sign you! It's all well and good saying why move to Rangers when you could sign for Celtic of Spurs but if they don't want you that choice doesn't exist.  Rangers came in with an offer and he took it. 

Fair play to the lad, back him 100%.  Maybe if Neil Lennon had taken his offer and made a statement that he was rising above the bullsh1t things might have worked out differently for everyone concerned in that hate-filled mess.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:33am

Eh guys you are really embarrassing yourselves with the manlove for Rangers. Go on their forums. Go on Bebo. Go on Facebook and look at Rangers groups. Catholics and Irish people are despised to an unhealthy extent. A Rangers fan playing for Celtic not taboo. A Catholic playing for Rangers. A problem that has almost been eliminated. An Irish guy playing for Rangers will always be a taboo. Nacho Novo was assaulted by his own fans for wearing a cross around his neck. Maybe if an Irish person was hammered in Glasgow for doing the same thing ye would change your ideology. There are 44 other clubs in Britain. Why play for a team that had/has a "No Black, No Irish and No Dogs" policy.

smith is irish but he may not be catholic you know. but at the same time, i despise the way it has come down to religion. the majority of rangers fans that i have ever come across on holidays or on football forums support the team simply because they live in that part of glasgow. the small minority of dickheads are ones that come from the north who travel over to spout their loyalist bullsh*t. it is very strange to see an irish person wearing a rangers jersey in ireland (which i did see before) because there hasn't been much irish players that have played for them...none in my lifetime definately until the signing of smith. but with the talk of signing anthony stokes and the talk at the watercooler of daryl murphy until he signed for celtic, there could be a change in ireland. if irish players are playing for rangers, then the opinion will change in ireland. i'm actually not ashamed to admit that the first football team i actually started watching in the spl were rangers and not celtic but the only reason i didn't end up supporting them was because there was no irish players in the team and they had this loyalist background (also of note was the fact that they had advocaat as coach and all their players were dutch - therefore showing their love for their orange brothers.) i only learned from someone in school that rangers largely represented the protestants of glasgow. almost put my foot in it that i didn't see a problem with liking rangers...oops.
but certainly in a few years, if rangers were to sign more irish players, then i won't be surprised to see a few young lads rise up above the minority bigots at this stage who are anti-catholic and therefore, anti-irish.

-------------

Posted By: greenford
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:53am
Chelsea are strongly linked with rangers. You would not wear Irish colours to a Chelsea game , you would get a proper slap. The majority of fans in Ireland have no idea about the culture of the clubs they support.

They have a Chelsea f******king supporters club in Ennis Co Clare. The don't have a clue..................    All dey know is that there successful and you can get the shirt in Elverys.

I would love to know the membership in Ennis when Chelsea were bottom of the second division in the early 80s. Yep you probably guessed the answer.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:07am
Originally posted by greenford greenford wrote:

Chelsea are strongly linked with rangers. You would not wear Irish colours to a Chelsea game , you would get a proper slap. The majority of fans in Ireland have no idea about the culture of the clubs they support.

They have a Chelsea f******king supporters club in Ennis Co Clare. The don't have a clue..................    All dey know is that there successful and you can get the shirt in Elverys.

I would love to know the membership in Ennis when Chelsea were bottom of the second division in the early 80s. Yep you probably guessed the answer.

yep i heard the chelsea story and there is an anti-irish "blues brothers" sh*te floating about for a fair while. don't think damien duff knew a lot about it. i really don't think chelsea supporters are aware of the clubs loyalist links. any irish person who supports them was merely jumping on the bandwagon tbh

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:30pm
Any Chelsea pub before or after a game at The Bridge and its endless singing of NO SURRENDER, that might be a small clue. They also sing it during games as do England. To the thick twats that sing this it simply is an anti Irish song.  Chelsea hardcore shed fans aged 30plus do not like "paddies".

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by greenford greenford wrote:

Any Chelsea pub before or after a game at The Bridge and its endless singing of NO SURRENDER, that might be a small clue. They also sing it during games as do England. To the thick twats that sing this it simply is an anti Irish song.  Chelsea hardcore shed fans aged 30plus do not like "paddies".

Whats wrong with Singing No Surrender to the IRA?

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:35pm

Lennon has also been involved in a number of off field incidents which basically come down to who he plays for and wheres he from.
For a 17 year old to be subjected to this level of abuse will be extremely difficult to deal with.

Lennon and McGeady get abuse because they play for a rival club. 
Yes he will get abuse from opposing fans but I very much doubt if he'll get any from his own fans.

I think he played in the friendly v Hungary earlier this year in the Carlisle Grounds.  If so he looked fine that night and kept a clean sheet.

Best of luck to you Alan and really hope you make it. 

Alex Stevenson from Dublin played for Rangers before and he got quite
a few caps for us albeit none while at Ibrox.  He moved back to Dublin and was involved in football here for many years.  Rangers came to Dublin in 1933 and played Dolphin in a glamour friendly as apart of the transfer.  There were a couple of other players from the Republic that also played for Rangers. 

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Lennon and McGeady get abuse because they play for a rival club. 
Yes he will get abuse from opposing fans but I very much doubt if he'll get any from his own fans.

I think he played in the friendly v Hungary earlier this year in the Carlisle Grounds.  If so he looked fine that night and kept a clean sheet.

Best of luck to you Alan and really hope you make it. 

Alex Stevenson from Dublin played for Rangers before and he got quite
a few caps for us albeit none while at Ibrox.  He moved back to Dublin and was involved in football here for many years.  Rangers came to Dublin in 1933 and played Dolphin in a glamour friendly as apart of the transfer.  There were a couple of other players from the Republic that also played for Rangers. 

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:50pm

@bout Alan Maybury

AFAIK Alan Maybury's family are from Clontarf.  Guess what there are hundreds of thousands of football fans in this country that support teams from Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow et al that don't have any connection with them. 

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:55pm
Thats ok then. What a jolly friendly welcoming club rangers are to their celtic cousins from Hibernia.

How many kids have been murdered for simply wearing a Celtic ? Is it two in the last five years by rahgers fans??

As usual people who have not lived in Glasgow have no F*******G idea about rangers. You wont understand it sitting in your bedroom in Roscommon posting on the net, their hate is different gear of all things green. Good luck to the bloke very bad move for him, very badly advised.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:57pm

you reference Bebo and Facebook as a source and accuse other people of embarassing themselves - pricelessLOLLOL

I dont give a flying one about Rangers but i would certainly wish an young irish man trying to make it abroad good luck. and those that dont says more about them than it does about Rangers.

the irish fixation with  Glasgows finest isnt healthy

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

you reference Bebo and Facebook as a source and accuse other people of embarassing themselves - pricelessLOLLOL

I dont give a flying one about Rangers but i would certainly wish an young irish man trying to make it abroad good luck. and those that dont says more about them than it does about Rangers.

the irish fixation with  Glasgows finest isnt healthy

exactly. we have our own clubs. when loads of irish supporters identiy with celtic, we're really no better than northern ireland. we have our own league, ranked 28 of 53 in europe and getting better, and if fans would just f**king support it, who knows what could happen

Posted By: zoolander
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 4:37am
What a strange fooking thread. It didnt take long for this to be turned into an anti celtic rant by the usual suspects. Reading this forum it all seems to be pretty black and white when it comes to Celtic & Rangers - Rangers = good, Celtic = bad. Its boring as fook and completely ridiculous at times.

-------------
It's a walk-off!

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 4:41am
Originally posted by zoolander zoolander wrote:

What a strange fooking thread. It didnt take long for this to be turned into an anti celtic rant by the usual suspects. Reading this forum it all seems to be pretty black and white when it comes to Celtic & Rangers - Rangers = good, Celtic = bad. Its boring as fook and completely ridiculous at times.

Why is that though?

You would have expected the opposite.
Celtic & Rangers - Rangers = bad, Celtic = good

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: kessler
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 5:02pm
It's a brave move but hopefully it'll work out well for him. There's a scumbag minority in Rangers, Celtic and most clubs but it is a minority and I wouldn't expect him to get much grief from Rangers fans. As long as he does well for them he'll be grand. He'll probably get a fair bit from Celtic but that's what happens when you join their big rival so i'm sure he's aware of that.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 6:33pm
He'll need balls of steel and nerve and fair play to him.  I'm sure him and his family have thought long and hard about signing for them, and if he can rise above that and play well and longer-term, shows he could play for Ireland, there wouldn't be a problem from Irish fans and Irish fans who follow Celtic.  Yes there'll be dickheads and scumbags who'll be vitriolic and ignorant, but they'll be like that anyhow away from football.  I wish him the best and will watch his career with interest.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Humpy Gussy
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:16pm
Don't think this has been mentioned but Alan Smith made his senior debut for Rangers last night against Linfield at Ibrox.

Genuinely, all the very best of luck to the lad but...

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/shudder_homer_small.jpg#shudder%20320x256" rel="nofollow">shudder

-------------
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Il Trap Il Trap wrote:

Don't think this has been mentioned but Alan Smith made his senior debut for Rangers last night against Linfield at Ibrox.

Genuinely, all the very best of luck to the lad but...

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/shudder_homer_small.jpg#shudder%20320x256" rel="nofollow">shudder

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:43pm
You calling Smith a kunt? If so, why is he a kunt?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:34pm
Best of luck to the kid

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:36pm
Best of luck is right.

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:53pm
I hope that he can get past the scum behind his goal singing about being up to their knees in his and his fellow country mans blood.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

I hope that he can get past the scum behind his goal singing about being up to their knees in his and his fellow country mans blood.

He must have. Fair f**ks to him if he is playing ball. Hopefully he makes a name for himself

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:00pm
Wrong Alan Smith !! Yeah good look to the fella

The other Alan Smith however is a 100% kant

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Best of luck to the kid

+1

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:08pm
I wouldn't be getting to excited about a young lad who playing for a team the same standard of the Leinster Senior League.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I wouldn't be getting to excited about a young lad who playing for a team the same standard of the Leinster Senior League.
exactly what I was thinking

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:25pm
Wonder what tonyjaa and Jinky have to say about this.

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:27pm
I don't think anyone is getting excited, but no matter what level Rangers are at they are still a huge club so in fairness he must be in the thoughts of the management team in Ibrox after getting exposure to the first team.

No need to rain on the chaps parade ffs! If anything the more games he gets it maybe of benefit to Noel King? Did you ever think of that?

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:29pm
Didn't think it would be that easy to get a bite.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:29pm
Best of luck to the kid. Just realised Rangers have the same amount of first team Irish footballers as Celtic

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Wonder what tonyjaa and Jinky have to say about this.

The would probably state the fact, that it was pretty crazy the amount of fuss this transfer kicked up mainly because Rangers had a long history of not signing Catholics or players born from the Republic of Ireland.

Had Alan Smith signed for Sheffield United or Port Vale, i bet this thread would be one or two pages max! 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:33pm
Or maybe they are singing songs about being up to their necks in fenian blood or the famine song etc...

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:34pm

You may have been looking for a bite, but i bet there are plenty on this forum who are thinking along the same lines of your first post but swapping Leinster Senior League to LOI standard. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

You may have been looking for a bite, but i bet there are plenty on this forum who are thinking along the same lines of your first post but swapping Leinster Senior League to LOI standard. 
I honestly think the 3rd tier in Scotland is way below the LOI. Sure the LOI have a brilliant recent record against Scottish teams in Europe. Good luck to the lad and hopefully he can dislodge Neil Alexander. With the league wrapped up he might get a few chances before the end of the season.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:51pm
Yeah the LOI would be a better standard than the Scottish 3rd tier, but it's the standard of players at Rangers that will obviously bring him on in regard to training and playing with these lads in comparison to being at one of the other 3rd division clubs. 

Neil Alexander is leaving in the summer, but i think Cammy Bell from Killie may have signed a pre-contract agreement with the Gers. 

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:55pm
Do f**kers seriously throw my name about for point scoring on other threads too , pathetic fluffers.

I hope Alan Smith enjoys his 30minute 'Friendly' appearances for the SevcoZombies while they still exist, he might get a first team appearance at the end of the season so this incarnation can say theyve played a paddy.
Cammy Bell is the number 1 next season with Blair Currie as number 2, Smith will be nowhere near the first team, again, if they still exist.

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:56pm
He's a goalkeeper and we arent exactly flush with players in that position so lets hope the lad can push on. Rangers are still a massive club, theres no denying that and the more players we have at big clubs the better for Irish football. If he can get a few games in front of 35,000-40,000 supporters that's a hell of a lot better than playing in front of what Port Vale etc do. All the best to him 

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Best of luck to the kid. Just realised Rangers have the same amount of first team Irish footballers as Celtic

Stokes and McCourt

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Stokes and McCourt

Players from the south

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:08pm

Stokes and McCourt
don't sell McCourt ..........

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:14pm

Stokes and McCourt

Players from the south

Paul George switched to us

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:19pm

Stokes and McCourt

Players from the south
I am from the south west, you? I didn't realise we were being region specific

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:25pm
I meant the 26 counties which make the Republic of Ireland.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:29pm

And which contains the most northerly point on the Irish mainland. It is bad enough having ignorant Englishmen calling it the south, without our own joining them

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:31pm
'The South'
Ah here.

Best of luck to the young lad.

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

And which contains the most northerly point on the Irish mainland. It is bad enough having ignorant Englishmen calling it the south, without our own joining them

Confused

Talk about pedantry, you knew what he was referring to.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:35pm
Ill get back on topic anyway, have any the Celtic heads or closet Rangers fans seen this lad play or heard anything about what he's like.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Confused

Talk about pedantry, you knew what he was referring to.
Not really, the south to me would refer to just that, below what is considered the midlands.Parts of Tipp,Limerick, cork, Kerry, Waterford etc.

-------------

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:03am

You are on a different planet if you think the LoI is the same standard as a league with Annand Athletic, Elgin and Berwick.

However, the new Rangers club are a big side, but the lad is reserve keeper and I think will be let go as they climb the leagues and sign better players. A lot of fuss over a lad who is going to be a Scottish 1st division or conference keeper at best. 

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:04am

Then say that... It was a weak attempt at fishing

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:35am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

You are on a different planet if you think the LoI is the same standard as a league with Annand Athletic, Elgin and Berwick.

However, the new Rangers club are a big side, but the lad is reserve keeper and I think will be let go as they climb the leagues and sign better players. A lot of fuss over a lad who is going to be a Scottish 1st division or conference keeper at best. 

Did you not read my next post, before you were quick to pounce? Obviously not........

How the f**k do you know like in all honesty Confused

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net