You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Smith (A First!!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alan Smith (A First!!)
    Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:32am
First ever Republic of Ireland (youth) international to sign for Rangers. Brave decision really especially for a young lad. Walter Smith says he will be in first team within 2 years. He is only 17. Thoughts??
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:35am
rangers will have shut down in 2 years and he can go to a decent team   

in fairness best of luck to him , will be delighted if he makes it
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:49am
He's certainbly the first in recent history, but there have been 3 former internationals from the republic of ireland  who have played for rangers.

It's a good move for the lad.  He'll be training with some good players and if he's good enough he'll get in and eventually move on to a EPL club.  If gets in and isn't good enough, he'll probably move to another SPL club. 

Either way going to a club like that provides a massive parachute for young lads that going to a smaller club doesn't.  So good luck to him.  I can't see him getting any abuse from Rangers fans anyway - although the aura around him might be intimidating, hopefuly he can rise above it.  If any Celtic fans give him abuse, then they're as bigoted as the "Ireland" fans who kept targetting Rangers players on the opposition in international games for special treatment.  I remember Alan Maybury getting sh1t thrown at him in the street when he used to cycle around fairview in and whitehall to training in a rangers tracksuit he had brought back from a trial. 

Let's hope if he does make it and get in the Ireland team those scumbags don't get near a ticket or else we could have another Lee Carsley incident (where he was disgracefully booed and then cheered when he was taken off against Russia, basically for not being Roy Keane).  I am not entirely against voicing approval at an association but singling out your own players for individual abuse is almost inexcusable.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:20am
Fair play to him. Brave move for a young lad.

Alan Kernaghan is youth team manager there so he must have had some influence.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:21am
Some reaction from Rangers fans to the signing
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Belfast Green Belfast Green wrote:

Some reaction from Rangers fans to the signing

More pro than neg comments. Seem like a great bunch of lads Big%20smile
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:17am
no offense but its not usually the scum element that post on forums plus any scum that do are removed by mods.  I think he will get abuse like lennon got at windsor especially if he akes it into the republic first team.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:28am
Hope he does well and is respected by the rangers fans.
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:33am
He's from Cobh!Thumbs%20Up
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:38am
fair fuks to him
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:14am
@bout Alan Maybury

I'm from a Protestant background. I wouldn't wear a Rangers tracksuit in Dublin. I know it's a free country and everything but you don't have to support Rangers just because of your religion. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt Maybury's descendents even came from Glasgow.

I don't support Rangers btw.

Edited by Propagandhi - 24 Jul 2010 at 7:15am
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:17am
he ll probably get more abuse of the barstool celtic brigade in ireland than he ll get off the huns in glasgow who go the games
Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:22am

The Newcastle player Alan Smith is a Rangers fan. What a coincidence!

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:31am
Good luck to him, and id guess he will get a great welcome by the majority of Ibrox .... its the treatment he'll get at Celtic Park that would concern me if he makes it through to the 1st team.

I know nothing :-)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

he ll probably get more abuse of the barstool celtic brigade in ireland than he ll get off the huns in glasgow who go the games

Yer on the button there Q, and it will probably be worse if he becomes a regular. Best of luck to the youngfella anywayClap

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:48am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Yer on the button there Q, and it will probably be worse if he becomes a regular. Best of luck to the youngfella anywayClap

i think i read some where that a lad from monaghan near the border had been offered trials with rangers and his dad wouldnt let him go as he was afraid of what would happen to his family in there own community im nearly sure he played in one of the drogheda youth teams
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:24am

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

i think i read some where that a lad from monaghan near the border had been offered trials with rangers and his dad wouldnt let him go as he was afraid of what would happen to his family in there own community im nearly sure he played in one of the drogheda youth teams

Cant find the story but there was some lad from Drogheda and his aul lad was threatened by Celtic fans.

Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:37am
A friend of mine thougth the lad at school in cobh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic