You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Presidential Election 2018 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 21>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’m still trying to understand why Gallagher gets under certain people’s skin so much. But for circumstances he might well have been President.

All hail President mediocre Business Man Mutton Head. 

The idea of Gallagher as president reminds me of the late great performer Stephen Gately, and Gronan Keating saying the world had lost one of it's greatest performers at his funeral. Nice words but seriously f**k off 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:43am
Why though? I’m seriously trying to get to the nub of why Gallagher seems to be some sort of punching post for an element of those interested in Irish politics.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:45am
He has a smug asymmetrical face.
He's corrupt.
He is FF.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:53am

Why though? I’m seriously trying to get to the nub of why Gallagher seems to be some sort of punching post for an element of those interested in Irish politics.

I'm far more confused about how he still seems to retain a reasonable amount of support. The appeal is completely lost on me.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He has a smug asymmetrical face.
He's corrupt.
He is FF.
This.
And he has zero personality.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I'm far more confused about how he still seems to retain a reasonable amount of support. The appeal is completely lost on me.

Thats the strangest part,how can anyone actually want him as president.

He was talking recently about when he gets elected he would play a more hands on role within the government.
afaik that against the constitution/role .I suppose some people will be duped by that kinda crap.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:45pm

Back in the 'Tiger' days, businessmen like Gallagher (though not a banker or builder himself) were venerated by the media and made the jump from the business pages to the front pages, and the social pages, and some of the pages in the middle too. They all became household names, Seanie Fitz, Fingers, Drumm, the lad in Treasury holdings who used to take models away for a few days on his private jet on a whim, Paddy the fcukin plasterer, the Sunderland consortium, the builder who seemingly had his name changed from Liam Carroll to ''Reclusive builder Liam Carroll'' and so on. 

They all had FF connections, they all played a huge part in financially ruining the country, with the full assistance of ''light touch regulation'' by the Central Bank. Gallagher wasn't a central character in any of that, he was barely on the fringes, but he remains a fully paid up member of that tribe. All of the above chancers basically got away with it, so as regards what an element of the public feel about suitable punishment, and what they'd like to tell some of those fcukers,  Gallagher serves as a kind of proxy instead, or even some class of representative of that tribe (in short, lads who frequented the FF tent at the Galway races, having flown in by helicopter)

There are also some (meself included) for whom the FF association alone would be enough to dislike him, there are some who aren't sure about him because of alleged brown envelope/FF dealings in the past, there are some who don't particularly want a businessman as President, there are some who see him as a self publicising chancer (he isn't alone in this presidential race there, to be fair)  and some, it seems from posts on here, don't like his square head. Elections can be funny like that, some of those reasons might be seen as irrational by his supporters, but no amount of marketing or electioneering will change their minds. 

Some of those things could be said about the other Dragons Den fellas too, but nobody really knows who any of those are, Gallagher just happens to be the highest profile of them, just by virtue of running the last time rather than anything he has achieved in business or on TV. It isn't all bad news for him though, he will have the core FF vote (sadly still exists), also pick up a few votes from people who dislike Michael D, those are mainly angry people, and probably pick up some because some people liked him on TV. 

For some or all of the reasons above, he isn't transfer friendly, most people have a definite opinion on him one way or another and at the moment, its a mostly negative one. That might be unfair to him as an individual, but that's one of the vagaries of politics. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:49pm
Seven in 10 voters want Michael D Higgins to be reelected president.

Here are the support levels for each candidate, according to a new Red C opinion poll: 

Michael D Higgins 70%
Sean Gallagher 14%
Joan Freeman 6%
Liadh Ní Riada 5%
Gavin Duffy 4%
Peter Casey 1%

I’d been wondering what Seán Gallagher had been upto for the past 7 years, losing 20% of his vote is what

Edited by 9fingers - 12 Oct 2018 at 12:50pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:49pm
Michael D ClapClapClap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Here are the support levels for each candidate, according to a new Red C opinion poll: 

Michael D Higgins 70%
Sean Gallagher 14%
Joan Freeman 6%
Liadh Ní Riada 5%
Gavin Duffy 4%
Peter Casey 1%

I’d been wondering what Seán Gallagher had been upto for the past 7 years, losing 20% of his vote is what

These 14% need to be located and prevented from reproducing.
@AntrimMan85
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
Could Higgins be elected on the first count? Hardly?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Could Higgins be elected on the first count? Hardly?

Yep and most likely will so long as he gets more than 50% of all valid votes cast 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
Michael D. My favourite of all our presidents. A wonderful representative of our little island. Clap

I hope when he's reelected the nay sayers who speak ill of him actually go away and educate themselves on the role of the President as per the constitution and come to realise they've judged him wrong. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:13pm
Good interview with him on Newstalk this morning. He really came out swinging, didnt thnk the lad had claws. Hes ready for a fight if he needs to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Michael D Higgins 70%
Sean Gallagher 14%
Joan Freeman 6%
Liadh Ní Riada 5%
Gavin Duffy 4%
Peter Casey 1%

These 14% need to be located and prevented from reproducing.

I'm shocked he has 14% too
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:44pm
Shooting would be most humane.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:45pm
I'd no idea this election was on so soon. Is there a banning of posters as f**k all of them up

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:45pm

Did anyone see Gallagher's 60 second pitch to be president? It was glorious.

As for the opinion polls, I'm sure he just sees it as he has a 10% lead over the two other Dragon dopes. It's a pure vanity exercise for the three of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 21>
  Share Topic