Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56425
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Presidential Election 2018 ?
Posted By: Borussia
Subject: Presidential Election 2018 ?
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:11am
So, not a surprise that Miggeldy is going again.
I wonder will the likes of SF put forward a candidate and push for an election ?
Think there would be little appetite in the country for that I would think. 

Replies:
Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:23am
Miggeldy will win ~70% of the vote if there is an election. Only the Shinners and the fringes beyond have shown any interest in running a candidate. Plus the people love Miggeldy Higgins.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:26am
Michael D Thumbs Up

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:28am
what about Dana

Image result for wont somebody please think of the children

Posted By: kingofkings
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:24pm
Pointless waste of money for a result which is 99% predetermined

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:35pm
Will be the usual bunch of loons and one or two up and coming politicians looking for a profile boost

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Will be the usual bunch of loons and one or two up and coming politicians looking for a profile boost

You could say that about any Irish election. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:57pm
The Presidential one seems to be especially attractive to independent candidates with egos, and an inflated sense of self importance. At least D Higgins is a vastly experienced politician, who has generally done well in the roll.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:06pm
The Prez Clap

Image result for michael d higgins bmx

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:10pm
I see Kevin Sharkey wants to run

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

"Make Ireland Fair Again " is his campaign slogan. Wonder where he got his idea for that from.......

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:15pm

Forest gump  like ?

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:16pm
Ger Craughwell too.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:18pm
Sharkey has tweeted previously about Tommy Robinson and not in a Robinson is a racist prick way 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Sharkey has tweeted previously about Tommy Robinson and not in a Robinson is a racist prick way 
Yeah, he seems to have a very odd set of policies that leave him sitting somewhere between Panti Bliss and Stevie Lennon. An odd man.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Ger Craughwell too.

That's all we need now. A former British Army Sargent as our president.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:01pm
He would get the same number of votes that got him into the Seanad.

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:59pm

He was on RTE giving out about foreigners and some tree hugger didn't know how to react.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:28pm
Michael D Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:53pm
Michael D Higgins Clap People taking the piss out of his name Thumbs Down

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:31pm
Probably in the minority here but I think he’s too old/will be too old by 2025.
He said he would only do on term, but maybe he’s realised the job isn’t too demanding mentally/physically.
Don’t really see why some people think he’s been so good.

As for the cost of an election, they could run a presidential election alongside the referendum in October.
If anything happened to him in the next 7 years (I hope nothing does happen to him), there would be a separate costly presidential election.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:06pm
Dev was 84 and practically blind when he ran for his 2nd term ffs. Leave Michael D. be. He's in grand shape for a man of his age 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:11pm
Michael D Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:26pm
What do people think of the change of heart on the one term issue. If that was another politician, would that be an issue?

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:29pm
Man is entitled to change his mind. He probably didn't think at the time he'd be up to a 2nd term and now he does.

Depends on who the politician is I suppose 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:32pm

Man is entitled to change his mind. He probably didn't think at the time he'd be up to a 2nd term and now he does.

Depends on who the politician is I suppose 

Would they not be entitled to change their mind too?

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:34pm
I assume his mind has been changed by public opinion, if only more politicians were swayed by public opinion!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:36pm

I assume his mind has been changed by public opinion, if only more politicians were swayed by public opinion!

Public opinion is favourable, but he did represent something, and has acted in a differnt way. I suppose, I would be interested to see the reaction if other politicans held the office, and had made the same promise, only to go back on it later?

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What do people think of the change of heart on the one term issue. If that was another politician, would that be an issue?

Don't think anyone really cares. We have never really had a divisive President in modern times (had a few divisive candidates alright) so if Pres. Higgins was some kind of obnoxious character, or had an upcoming appearance at a tribunal or something, and then decided to seek another term, it might be different. It might also be different if the sitting President had deep connections to the ruling Government party who happened to be in some kind of political bother at the time (say, if Labour were in charge and implementing a load of unpopular policies) but that isn't the case here either, in fact I'm not even sure the Labour party exist any more, I'll have to check & come back to ye. 

I think most see him at the very least as a very safe pair of hands. A few of our Presidents (Hillery & McAleese) were elected for a 2nd stint anyway, so its not groundbreaking stuff there either. No issue with him meself, as politicians go, he's far from the worst of them, he's a shrewd enough political operator, doesn't do anything stupid or controversial while representing us, seems to strike the right note of empathy with some of the marginalised sectors of our society and appears to be a genuine sports fan as well, as opposed to just pretending to be one like the majority of the chancers. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:52pm
Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around, maybe less if he has to spend his own money as opposed to FF's. 

Not for the first time, FF have seen the way the wind is blowing and rowed in fully behind him. The Shinners will probably have to wait for James McClean to retire, they could find any oul candidate that would attract their own vote and a few protest votes, but nobody to take on someone of Michael D's popularity. FG have never held the Presidency & if Leo has any sense at all (not sure on that) he'll stay well away from it too, there isn't anything to be gained by a likely defeat other than the other parties thinking they can then defeat them in the one that matters. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Don't think anyone really cares. We have never really had a divisive President in modern times (had a few divisive candidates alright) so if Pres. Higgins was some kind of obnoxious character, or had an upcoming appearance at a tribunal or something, and then decided to seek another term, it might be different. It might also be different if the sitting President had deep connections to the ruling Government party who happened to be in some kind of political bother at the time (say, if Labour were in charge and implementing a load of unpopular policies) but that isn't the case here either, in fact I'm not even sure the Labour party exist any more, I'll have to check & come back to ye. 

I think most see him at the very least as a very safe pair of hands. A few of our Presidents (Hillery & McAleese) were elected for a 2nd stint anyway, so its not groundbreaking stuff there either. No issue with him meself, as politicians go, he's far from the worst of them, he's a shrewd enough political operator, doesn't do anything stupid or controversial while representing us, seems to strike the right note of empathy with some of the marginalised sectors of our society and appears to be a genuine sports fan as well, as opposed to just pretending to be one like the majority of the chancers. 

Its not about not caring, but holding politicians to account for their promises and statements. It is saying one thing, and subsequently doing something else. If there was any doubt in his mind that he might run again, he should never have even ventured being a one-term president. And its not about being a two-termer. Its about being consistent.

I totally agree, that D Higgins has generally done well. There have been elements of his Presidency that I have not been entirely favourable to, but for the vast majority of it he has done an excellent job.

I'm also not sure whether the issue of being close to a ruling party is an issue. Otherwise, many top candidates wouldnt qualify in the first instance. Being close to the ruling party is irrelevant, especially as in a second term situation your independence would be much stronger than it was in the first instance, as you would be gone from the party for over seven years at that stage. 

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:55pm

Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around

Not for the first time, FF have seen the way the wind is blowing and rowed in fully behind him. The Shinners will probably have to wait for James McClean to retire, they could find any oul candidate that would attract their own vote and a few protest votes, but nobody to take on someone of Michael D's popularity. FG have never held the Presidency & if Leo has any sense at all (not sure on that) he'll stay well away from it too, there isn't anything to be gained by a likely defeat other than the other parties thinking they can then defeat them in the one that matters. 

Thats actually not a reason. It cant just be assumed that  popularity is such that another vote is pointless.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:17pm
If we held politicians accountable for their promises, would there be anyone at all in the Dáil ? Or put another way, would every single seat change hands at elections ? Half genuine question. The answer to the whether people are that put out about him changing his mind will be in the ballot box, and everyone knows, even at this stage they generally aren't. 

I disagree about the closeness of the candidate to the ruling party, the Brian Lenihan/Mary Robinson campaign in 1990 changed that for good. In that case, it messed up a candicacy rather than a Presidency, but even in the last campaign, Sean Gallagher's (had forgotten he was allegedly independent) candicacy was derailed by accusations he was close to the then toxic FF and may have been involved in an incident where some envelopes stuffed with money changed hands. 

Can't really prove that theory as neither got elected, and there were never such suggestions about Robinson, McAleese or Higgins, but those 2 elections were probably the only ones that happened in the same timeframe as political strife for FF was happening simultaneously, and it cost them both times. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that a similar scenario would have a negative effect on a sitting President, but that would obviously depend on the individual in office at the time, the party they belonged to and the role they played in whatever incident was exercising/annoying the public. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:24pm

Thats actually not a reason. It cant just be assumed that  popularity is such that another vote is pointless.

I'm not assuming anything, merely predicting the chap will be re-elected, and one of the reasons he will be re-elected is the lack of suitable alternative candidates. The views on the alternatives are only my views, and it is a valid reason for me, whether you or anyone else agrees with that or not. 

Others will vote for him for any amount of reasons from his relationship with Galway FC or the fact he likes dogs, or the fact they are life long Labour voters. More will vote for one of those alternative candidates for reasons that will be alien to me, but that's the nature of elections. 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:29pm

Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around, maybe less if he has to spend his own money as opposed to FF's. 

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:35pm
@Hetfield 

Just out of curiousity, what elements of his presidency were you not entirely favourable towards?  

I'm struggling to think of anything truly negative whether it's any polarizing views he may have or controversies he was involved in. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:12am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

You obviously didn't see the kid's test answers that did the rounds a few months back. 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:24am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

@Hetfield 

Just out of curiousity, what elements of his presidency were you not entirely favourable towards?  

I'm struggling to think of anything truly negative whether it's any polarizing views he may have or controversies he was involved in. 

It's very little, but I felt in his very early days his speeches occasionally veered on policy, which is not his remit. I was also not a fan of his statement after Castro's death, which I feel could have been better thought out and executed when there is a lot more to the legacy of Castro. He has certainly moved away from my first gripe a long time ago, to the point that it's no longer an issue.

But over the course of seven years it's hard to get everything right. I recall Mary McAleese's comments about Turkish entry to the EU. So like I said, it wouldn't bother me enough to stop me voting for him or accepting him as President in coronation situation.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:15pm

LOLLOLLOL

I'd vote for him, but god help the animosity during any British state visits

Posted By: daraghj82
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
what about bertie ? LOL

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by daraghj82 daraghj82 wrote:

what about bertie ? LOL

Would still get a core FF vote, which thankfully is a lot less than it used to be these days, but overall, not a feckin chance that either FF would nominate him or he that would be elected. Any opposition would have an absolute field day asking him about bank accounts, money won on horses, the tribunals, the housing bubble, the recession, the banks etc etc, and FF would end up throwing him out of the party, sorry, getting him to 'resign' again. 

FG also behind Michael D and went as far as said they would campaign for him & all, looks like Leo (or at least his advisers) do have some bit of political sense after all. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:47pm
What do people think of SF's decision to nominate a runner ? I assume we will see another couple of independents challenging Higgins. Joan Freeman is also supposed to be also interested. 

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

You obviously didn't see the kid's test answers that did the rounds a few months back. 
Of course I did. It was funny then.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:09am
Michael D will beat any Sinn Fein candidate. He'll win >70% of the vote in a two horse race. 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:17am

What do people think of SF's decision to nominate a runner ? I assume we will see another couple of independents challenging Higgins. Joan Freeman is also supposed to be also interested. 
Gives SF a chance to go campaigning and give out about how the main parties are useless - they've no interest in winning the presidency, it's about upping their numbers in the polls for the next General/Local elections

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:22am
It's an interesting decision. SF either run a "father-figure" type candidate, who will never be able to get the required votes to win, or a lesser known candidate who will effectively be a "paper candidate", whose candidacy will be used to express how keen the party are in democracy. Shedite is right, this is with numerous upcoming elections in mind, and a chance to act as the premier "opposition".

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:42am

It's an interesting decision. SF either run a "father-figure" type candidate, who will never be able to get the required votes to win, or a lesser known candidate who will effectively be a "paper candidate", whose candidacy will be used to express how keen the party are in democracy. Shedite is right, this is with numerous upcoming elections in mind, and a chance to act as the premier "opposition".

SF will run a relatively young female candidate, someone like Lynn Boylan or Teresa Ferris

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

SF will run a relatively young female candidate, someone like Lynn Boylan or Teresa Ferris

Boylan has said she won't run

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:25am
Ferris has been controversial with some of her statements in the past. These would undoubtedly be raised in a Presidential run.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:31am

Ferris has been controversial with some of her statements in the past. These would undoubtedly be raised in a Presidential run.

Was she the one who refused to condemn Jerry McCabes shooting?

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:58am

Her father Martin was involved in controversy surrounding this case I know anyway

Posted By: daraghj82
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:15pm

SF candidate choice will be interesting some canon fodder names mentioned like lynn boylan, the ferri's, caomhain as well, jarry if he puts his name forward to SF would surely get the nomination

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:45pm
Michelle Gildernew and John Finucane being rumoured today

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
Yeah heard John Finucane alright....

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:19pm
RTE reporting on their website that John Finucane has been tipped by senior SF figures as a strong contender to be nominated

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:16pm

Her father Martin was involved in controversy surrounding this case I know anyway
He collected 2 of the killers on their release from prison in 2009 on behalf of SF.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:37pm
Mainly kite flying from SF here, but with FF & FG effectively abstaining from the election, plenty of PR opportunities/airtime for SF, particularly as none of the other candidates, or people who have declared an interest,  seem remotely credible. Think all we are missing so far is the right wing catholic fundamentalist candidate endorsed by the Iona Institute and John Waters.  So the SF candidate, whoever he or she may be will provide the 'main' opposition this time around. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:54am
This thing is half officially underway, as a few independent candidates spoke in front of Waterford Co Council today with a view to seeking their nomination. 

Before that, we have had ex GAA President Liam O'Neill rule himself out of the running (he was never in the running) and Senator Gerard Craughwell, whomever he may be, also drop out due to financial constraints, having got his 15 minutes of media exposure, probably mainly reminding whoever voted or nominated him for the Seanad in the first place that he still exists. Objective achieved. 

Gavan Duffy (another businessman who appeared on a TV programme), Joan Freeman (head of Pieta House charity) and some bucko called Patrick Feeney (I have no idea who he is or what he does) spoke in front of the council. One of the councillors accused Mr Feeney of being disrespectful, unimpressive & ill prepared in his approach. 

I occasionally read local newspaper reports of council meetings, and all I can say is this presentation must have been particularly poor in order to invoke the ire of one of the councillors, they'd be well used to listening to horrendous crap every week from, well, other councillors. One of his suggestions (I swear I'm not making this up) was to propose that Kate Bush have a series of concerts across the country. I'm not sure was this part of the actual manifesto or did he just throw it in as some class of random thing in the ''any other business'' category. What the notoriously reclusive Ms Bush would make of this suggestion wasn't entirely clear. 

His policies might be worth keeping an eye on if this is the standard of Day 1..............

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 6:13am

This thing is half officially underway, as a few independent candidates spoke in front of Waterford Co Council today with a view to seeking their nomination. 

Before that, we have had ex GAA President Liam O'Neill rule himself out of the running (he was never in the running) and Senator Gerard Craughwell, whomever he may be, also drop out due to financial constraints, having got his 15 minutes of media exposure, probably mainly reminding whoever voted or nominated him for the Seanad in the first place that he still exists. Objective achieved. 

Gavan Duffy (another businessman who appeared on a TV programme), Joan Freeman (head of Pieta House charity) and some bucko called Patrick Feeney (I have no idea who he is or what he does) spoke in front of the council. One of the councillors accused Mr Feeney of being disrespectful, unimpressive & ill prepared in his approach. 

I occasionally read local newspaper reports of council meetings, and all I can say is this presentation must have been particularly poor in order to invoke the ire of one of the councillors, they'd be well used to listening to horrendous crap every week from, well, other councillors. One of his suggestions (I swear I'm not making this up) was to propose that Kate Bush have a series of concerts across the country. I'm not sure was this part of the actual manifesto or did he just throw it in as some class of random thing in the ''any other business'' category. What the notoriously reclusive Ms Bush would make of this suggestion wasn't entirely clear. 

His policies might be worth keeping an eye on if this is the standard of Day 1..............

If he is a fan of Kate Bush he is unlikely to give up anyway.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:45am
If he can get me a ticket for one of them then I'll come back to vote for him.

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:03pm
Maybe she'll do a one off concert in Waterford to help this joker out as her mother was from there.She was 60 on monday. Ouch

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:11pm

LOL the old observation "Fr Ted is more of a documentary than a sitcom" comes to mind.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:16pm
The rumours that surround president Higgins, I just can't shake them - so I won't vote.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Maybe she'll do a one off concert in Waterford to help this joker out as her mother was from there.She was 60 on monday. Ouch
And still sexy! She has lived in Ireland for years.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

The rumours that surround president Higgins, I just can't shake them - so I won't vote.

Excuse my ignorance but what rumours? 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:55pm
Never knew Kate Bush had Irish connections and lives here. 

One of the most distinctive female singing voices there ever was. 

Being a broke student drinking cheap cans of Tuborg in the house with 'Sunset' playing in the background instead of bothering with the afternoon lectures . Great times  Clap

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:53am

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what rumours? 

He's a gangsta rapper with a crack habit.

If I post up the unsubstanstaited rumours on my own forum - hopefully a mod will delete the post LOL LOL. you can pm if you want 

btw what is a shinner dinner? 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:28am
Chucky steak

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:37pm
I see FF have an element that is encouraging a run for the Presidency. I must admit, I’m finding this mad dash for the role to be amusing.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:24pm
Never knew Joan Freeman was related to that nutjob from the Iona institute Maria Steen

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:41pm

Never knew Joan Freeman was related to that nutjob from the Iona institute Maria Steen

Religious undertones with pieta House too

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:51pm

One of the Waterford councillors challenged her on that at the meeting/presentation - asked if she would have any difficulty signing any abortion-related bill in to law. Her reply was that she respected the will of the people, and also that her daughter was a yes campaigner (without actually saying yes).  I think she would be more than leaning toward her niece Maria's view on these things alright. Presidential elections aren't the same without far right catholic fundamentalists, it may as well be written into the constitution that one of them has to run. 

-------------

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:54pm

One of the Waterford councillors challenged her on that at the meeting/presentation - asked if she would have any difficulty signing any abortion-related bill in to law. Her reply was that she respected the will of the people, and also that her daughter was a yes campaigner (without actually saying yes).  I think she would be more than leaning toward her niece Maria's view on these things alright. Presidential elections aren't the same without far right catholic fundamentalists, it may as well be written into the constitution that one of them has to run. 

mattie McGrath supports her because "it's about time we had a good Catholic president". On the pulse as always is Mattie

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:05pm
Mattie is certainly on the pulse in his own rural constituency, and likely couldn't give a fcuk if Dustin the turkey was elected president in reality. Playing to his own gallery.

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

It seems kind of counter intuitive that these right wing religious types have a link to Pieta House, a lot of em seem to be mental illness deniers too. 

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

It seems kind of counter intuitive that these right wing religious types have a link to Pieta House, a lot of em seem to be mental illness deniers too. 

A certain irony too, can there be a bigger mental illness than believing everything you are told to do by one of the world's most vile organisations?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 11:57am
Gemma O’Doherty has thrown her hat in the ring.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 12:02pm
It looks like every pointless **** with an ego is going to throw their hat in the ring.

When I read that a journalist called O'Doherty was going for it I was worried that it was going to be the Clarkson wannabe himself.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:17pm
Nah, she's just a journo who was sacked for exposing institutional cover ups - the usual in Ireland.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:19pm
She's also a spacer even if she's right about one or two things 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:20pm
She is an absolute lunatic.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:26pm

It looks like every pointless **** with an ego is going to throw their hat in the ring.

When I read that a journalist called O'Doherty was going for it I was worried that it was going to be the Clarkson wannabe himself.

''Lord Trap Junior, why do you feel like you should be President?''

''Because I'm great. In fact I think I should get two presidential terms because I'm so great.''

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:27pm
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:08pm
You have my vote

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 10:53am
Sean Gallagher is in.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 10:57am
Was favourite last time around wasn't he until that infamous interview with him accepting cheques or something?

SF nominations close on 10th Septemeber with ard comhairle selecting its choice on the 16th

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 11:08am
Any idea who the SF nomination is?

Edit - unless it's JF.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Edit - unless it's JF.

Haven't heard any mumblings since the coverage around JF. There was a big 2 day interview with him in the Irish News last week ranging from his youth, job, father, politics, GAA etc and when asked about a presidential nomination he didn't exactly rule it out

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 11:54am

Was favourite last time around wasn't he until that infamous interview with him accepting cheques or something?

SF nominations close on 10th Septemeber with ard comhairle selecting its choice on the 16th

Thankfully he made a bollix of himself last time around and derailed his campaign.

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Edit - unless it's JF.

Liadh Ní Riada is favourite and she is absolute muck. Scum Fein wont poll more than 10-12% in this. 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:04pm
And although it seems heaven sent,
We aint ready, to see a Sinn Fein president, uh

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:08pm
Now, I'm more than happy that the Aras has ceased to be a retirement home and cushy number for the "old boys" of Irish politics, but given the constitutional element of the role, surely you'd be expecting somebody with some political and/or legal experience to be a credible candidate for the job rather than just anybody who fancies it (Even though I know there is nothing stopping them from going forward).

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL Clap

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not until the next Presidential election anyway when us North of the border and the diaspora should get a vote Thumbs Up

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm
Will Bressie be throwing is hat into the ring?

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:58pm
Serious question. Why should the diaspora get a vote? I’m not talking NI here, but the wider diaspora. 

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:24pm

Serious question. Why should the diaspora get a vote? I’m not talking NI here, but the wider diaspora. 

Without getting in to the pros and cons of it, it is widespread practice with many countries

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:43pm
Why was McAleese made President since she's from Ardoyne yet people from the North can't vote

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Will Bressie be throwing is hat into the ring?

that **** seems to have his head stuck every ,so be no surprise if he did.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:19pm
Bressie is some man alright, deals with his depression by inflicting it on everyone else.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net