You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portugal vs Éire Sep 1st Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portugal vs Éire Sep 1st Match Thread
    Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:33pm
As it says on the tin...
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:35pm
Il start..... Arter.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:36pm
great start LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:44pm

Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Il start..... Arter.

I 100% agree, arter doesn't deserve to be near the squad, however, I'd say he's unlikely to play and swapping him for kilkenny doesn't change the optics on how bad the squad is.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm
Some fine modding here Clap

Absolutely childish sh*te again from CM wasn't even the 5th post on the thread 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 26 Aug 2021 at 1:48pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Removed.

this kind of schoolyard bullying has no place in our support tbh.. you should be ashamed of yourself 

Pathetic Murph. The warning issued around the last batch of games still stands regarding abuse of players/manager. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:49pm
It's amazing how a squad selection can suck the life out of an International window so quickly.

Kenny seems to have shat his pants. Has to be worried about his job and is reverting to "safe" options to get through this window.

Think it will have opposite effect. We could be in for a sh!tshow here. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:51pm
Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. Randolph could have been an easy selection.

The midfield is decimated by injury. Browne, Knight, and possible McCarthy would all be in there if fitness was on their side, and in fact, you might even start all three. Robbie Brady is also absent, but if he were attached and fit, he would be in there. Given the lack of options, there was genuine reason to call up Kilkenny. You might also have given Coventry a call too.

Up front, there are options, just not ones I expect to score goals. Long continues to warm the bench at Southampton, Collins has been replaced by Moore in Cardiff's starting lineup. Parrott has been scoring this term, and hopefully he can bring that form with him.

But, I'm pessimistic about our chances. I think our midfield will be bullied, and I think our forward options will give no headaches. Kenny needs to set up from the back, and establish a robust, and difficult to breach back-line, and expect Cullen to drop deeper. Given what we have got, if we play open football, we'll get stuffed.

Edited by Het-field - 26 Aug 2021 at 1:52pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's amazing how a squad selection can suck the life out of an International window so quickly.

Kenny seems to have shat his pants. Has to be worried about his job and is reverting to "safe" options to get through this window.

To be fair, losing Robinson and Knight is a blow. He's left with selecting players that aren't playing.

Kenny picks the team but it looks to be a burden with the options available.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:54pm
Agreed for the most part with one exception, but maybe you mean the same thing in a way. I don’t think our midfield will be bullied because they wont have to be bullied. Its a plainly obvious thing to post, but they have the old fashioned school rings run around them. 

If ever we needed someone to lay down an early marker its now but we don’t have that player.

Edited by Sham157 - 26 Aug 2021 at 1:56pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:54pm
im scared LOL
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:56pm
Sooooo.....  any final score predictions? *runs behind sofa* 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

To be fair, losing Robinson and Knight is a blow. He's left with selecting players that aren't playing.

I genuinely would love to here detailed explanations on player inclusions, especially Hendrick and Hourihane.

They have been detrimental to our team. What's the answer? I don't know. But it's evident that they aren't.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. Randolph could have been an easy selection.

The midfield is decimated by injury. Browne, Knight, and possible McCarthy would all be in there if fitness was on their side, and in fact, you might even start all three. Robbie Brady is also absent, but if he were attached and fit, he would be in there. Given the lack of options, there was genuine reason to call up Kilkenny. You might also have given Coventry a call too.

Up front, there are options, just not ones I expect to score goals. Long continues to warm the bench at Southampton, Collins has been replaced by Moore in Cardiff's starting lineup. Parrott has been scoring this term, and hopefully he can bring that form with him.

But, I'm pessimistic about our chances. I think our midfield will be bullied, and I think our forward options will give no headaches. Kenny needs to set up from the back, and establish a robust, and difficult to breach back-line, and expect Cullen to drop deeper. Given what we have got, if we play open football, we'll get stuffed.

I agree with this. Our players, no matter how experienced, shouldn't be rewarded for putting themselves in positions where they have no chance of playing football. Randolph's case is different to just being dropped or being out of form. 

Hopefully it'll serve as an incentive/kick up the hole to our other players who aren't actively seeking out first team opportunities.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I genuinely would love to here detailed explanations on player inclusions, especially Hendrick and Hourihane.

They have been detrimental to our team. What's the answer? I don't know. But it's evident that they aren't.

While I agree that the midfield is the weakest aspect of the team, injuries have left us very short in this area.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:04pm
The quality of the squad shows why Kenny shouldn't be getting the sh*te he's getting. It's without doubt the weakest we've ever been player wise. Stan had better quality players as did every other manager in my time watching Ireland.

Kenny is not the problem. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:05pm
On paper, the quality they have in their squad is outrageous LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
  Share Topic