great start LOL

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:44pm

Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Il start..... Arter.

I 100% agree, arter doesn't deserve to be near the squad, however, I'd say he's unlikely to play and swapping him for kilkenny doesn't change the optics on how bad the squad is.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm
Some fine modding here Clap

Absolutely childish sh*te again from CM wasn't even the 5th post on the thread 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Removed.

this kind of schoolyard bullying has no place in our support tbh.. you should be ashamed of yourself 

Pathetic Murph. The warning issued around the last batch of games still stands regarding abuse of players/manager. 

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:49pm
It's amazing how a squad selection can suck the life out of an International window so quickly.

Kenny seems to have shat his pants. Has to be worried about his job and is reverting to "safe" options to get through this window.

Think it will have opposite effect. We could be in for a sh!tshow here. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:51pm
Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. Randolph could have been an easy selection.

The midfield is decimated by injury. Browne, Knight, and possible McCarthy would all be in there if fitness was on their side, and in fact, you might even start all three. Robbie Brady is also absent, but if he were attached and fit, he would be in there. Given the lack of options, there was genuine reason to call up Kilkenny. You might also have given Coventry a call too.

Up front, there are options, just not ones I expect to score goals. Long continues to warm the bench at Southampton, Collins has been replaced by Moore in Cardiff's starting lineup. Parrott has been scoring this term, and hopefully he can bring that form with him.

But, I'm pessimistic about our chances. I think our midfield will be bullied, and I think our forward options will give no headaches. Kenny needs to set up from the back, and establish a robust, and difficult to breach back-line, and expect Cullen to drop deeper. Given what we have got, if we play open football, we'll get stuffed.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's amazing how a squad selection can suck the life out of an International window so quickly.

Kenny seems to have shat his pants. Has to be worried about his job and is reverting to "safe" options to get through this window.

To be fair, losing Robinson and Knight is a blow. He's left with selecting players that aren't playing.

Kenny picks the team but it looks to be a burden with the options available.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:54pm
Agreed for the most part with one exception, but maybe you mean the same thing in a way. I don’t think our midfield will be bullied because they wont have to be bullied. Its a plainly obvious thing to post, but they have the old fashioned school rings run around them. 

If ever we needed someone to lay down an early marker its now but we don’t have that player.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:54pm
im scared LOL

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:56pm
Sooooo.....  any final score predictions? *runs behind sofa* 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

To be fair, losing Robinson and Knight is a blow. He's left with selecting players that aren't playing.

I genuinely would love to here detailed explanations on player inclusions, especially Hendrick and Hourihane.

They have been detrimental to our team. What's the answer? I don't know. But it's evident that they aren't.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. Randolph could have been an easy selection.

The midfield is decimated by injury. Browne, Knight, and possible McCarthy would all be in there if fitness was on their side, and in fact, you might even start all three. Robbie Brady is also absent, but if he were attached and fit, he would be in there. Given the lack of options, there was genuine reason to call up Kilkenny. You might also have given Coventry a call too.

Up front, there are options, just not ones I expect to score goals. Long continues to warm the bench at Southampton, Collins has been replaced by Moore in Cardiff's starting lineup. Parrott has been scoring this term, and hopefully he can bring that form with him.

But, I'm pessimistic about our chances. I think our midfield will be bullied, and I think our forward options will give no headaches. Kenny needs to set up from the back, and establish a robust, and difficult to breach back-line, and expect Cullen to drop deeper. Given what we have got, if we play open football, we'll get stuffed.

I agree with this. Our players, no matter how experienced, shouldn't be rewarded for putting themselves in positions where they have no chance of playing football. Randolph's case is different to just being dropped or being out of form. 

Hopefully it'll serve as an incentive/kick up the hole to our other players who aren't actively seeking out first team opportunities.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:59pm

I genuinely would love to here detailed explanations on player inclusions, especially Hendrick and Hourihane.

They have been detrimental to our team. What's the answer? I don't know. But it's evident that they aren't.

While I agree that the midfield is the weakest aspect of the team, injuries have left us very short in this area.

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:04pm
The quality of the squad shows why Kenny shouldn't be getting the sh*te he's getting. It's without doubt the weakest we've ever been player wise. Stan had better quality players as did every other manager in my time watching Ireland.

Kenny is not the problem. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:05pm
On paper, the quality they have in their squad is outrageous LOL

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The quality of the squad shows why Kenny shouldn't be getting the sh*te he's getting. It's without doubt the weakest we've ever been player wise. Stan had better quality players as did every other manager in my time watching Ireland.

Is the correct answer. 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: DublinScouse1916
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:06pm
Scully surely over Shane long! Long hasn't scored for us since 2016. He a striker who doesn't score. That midfield is comical too. 

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I agree with this. Our players, no matter how experienced, shouldn't be rewarded for putting themselves in positions where they have no chance of playing football. Randolph's case is different to just being dropped or being out of form. 

Hopefully it'll serve as an incentive/kick up the hole to our other players who aren't actively seeking out first team opportunities.

Ive a sneaky feeling DR has asked to be dropped down the order and called on if only absolutely necessary. We had those retirement rumours not so long ago. 

Not sure this is entirely SKs call. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm

While I agree that the midfield is the weakest aspect of the team, injuries have left us very short in this area.

Hourihane is supposedly our deep lying "playmaker". Yet he goes out of his way not to be in possession. He's afraid of making mistakes. Rarely passes forward. Passes back and sideways in an endless and futile recycling of the ball. Also, his passing in general has.been shocking.

I'm not saying other players should be starting, but why not include Kilkenny in the squad or Scully up front? Give yourself the option at least.

At this stage Kenny should know the players that just aren't working, but his persistence in picking.them defies logic.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:13pm
Handshake

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

[QUOTE=Het-field]Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. 

Ive a sneaky feeling DR has asked to be dropped down the order and called on if only absolutely necessary. We had those retirement rumours not so long ago. 

Not sure this is entirely SKs call. 

Just on this Randolph was only raving in an interview not that long ago how talented the 3 lads were and it will be a case of when he passes the baton. This was before any of them had even played much senior football certainly not regularly I often think since fairplay to Randolph he was well aware of the talent on offer even back then! 

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:15pm
So Kenny echoed a few posters on here re Arter in that its unfortunate that he hasnt played any football but he can play that holding mid role, has a great attitude and done well in the summer training camp. Still not for me though.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Is the correct answer. 

Generally this point is correct. However there are some braver calls he could of made. Very string arguments to be made for Kilkenny, Scully and Scales.

Can see us getting pumped in Portugal. Maybe the crowds back in Lansdown might help us nick a result in the other 2 games. This is the most pessimistic I've ever been going into an international window 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:17pm
I imagine the only reason not to select Kilkenny is that Kenny doesn't want to scare the crap of him by being overrun by Portugal in his first international game. Kenny wants options like Molumby and Arter because it we will be playing in our own half for 90% of the game.
Hopefully the game will be 9 behind the ball at all times, at least keep the score to 2 or 3 for them.

I cannot see who we could put in that midfield at this point that isn't selected today.

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:18pm
Forget about ability or talent. Trying to even match up with the Portuguese when it comes to match fitness Confused

As a Kenny fan, seriously worried about this window and what horrors could await..

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Generally this point is correct. However there are some braver calls he could of made. Very string arguments to be made for Kilkenny, Scully and Scales.

Can see us getting pumped in Portugal. Maybe the crowds back in Lansdown might help us nick a result in the other 2 games. This is the most pessimistic I've ever been going into an international window 

He referenced Scales in his press conference and said he's next in line at left full - McClean and Manning ahead of him at the minute..  

He wasn't asked about either Kilkenny or Scully so the esteemed members of our 4th estate are obviously not as up to speed as posters on here! 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

I imagine the only reason not to select Kilkenny is that Kenny doesn't want to scare the crap of him by being overrun by Portugal in his first international game. Kenny wants options like Molumby and Arter because it we will be playing in our own half for 90% of the game.
Hopefully the game will be 9 behind the ball at all times, at least keep the score to 2 or 3 for them.

I cannot see who we could put in that midfield at this point that isn't selected today.

Kilkenny doesn't have to play. Put him on the bench. 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:21pm

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Kilkenny doesn't have to play. Put him on the bench. 

or let him play twice for the U21s in their qualifiers.. 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:23pm

So Kenny echoed a few posters on here re Arter in that its unfortunate that he hasnt played any football but he can play that holding mid role, has a great attitude and done well in the summer training camp. Still not for me though.

Adds up and he's simply a backup for Cullen, who not long ago was a backup for McCarthy.
I understand the inclusion and it goes to prove how few options we have.
Every chance he doesn't see much time unless Cullen needs a rest or gets a knock.

Looking to the future, I'd have Scully in ahead of Long.
And Kilkenny in ahead of Hourihane.

But one is operating at a relatively low level (I'm ignoring Parrott's inclusion here for convenience) and the other has only a handful of games under his belt, so the choices are understandable, even if I disagree with them.

Other than that, we're loudly complaining about the midfield but it's like complaining about the weather - not a lot we can do about it if we have nobody stepping up to take the places off the established lads.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:28pm
we must be the most conservative nation in world football. i would rather see kilkenny given a chance than pick players who are sitting on the bench week in/out. at the moment hes good enough to start for bournemouth so why pick a guy who hasn't played since who knows when. its the same old same old with us. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:38pm

But you could say the same for Collins and Omobamidele who, given our options, may not see much game time. On a rotational basis, Doherty/Coleman would step in on the right, Manning/McClean on the left, with Egan, O'Shea and Duffy rotating in the centre. Like I said, Kenny could also have picked Clark. But this experience will stand to them.

The major difference is that we are short stocked in midfield and the moment a single player, particularly in the middle goes down with injury, we dont have deep options, and will need to resort to calling up players. This is where there is a legitimate case for Kilkenny.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:47pm
Kenny probably could have done with having no Irish fans for another international window looking at this squad. Could be entering uncharted waters for Kenny by end of it .

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:48pm
Not surprised to see both Kilkenny and Scully left out - neither were standouts for Kenny at Under 21 level. Seems to underline the theory that, if you weren't a Kenny favourite at under 21 level, you have a long road ahead to get picked under him at senior level, apparently regardless of what you may have done at club level in the last year or 18 months since he left the Under 21s. He seems to have already made his mind up on those lads.

Some other odd picks also - Omobamidele over Clark? Omobamidele is certainly a big prospect for us but surely you'd have Clark closer to the starting team against Portugal at the moment.

Arter and Hourihane - what can you say really, he clearly has his favourites who cannot be dropped regardless of form. Curtis, based on what we've seen of him, is a waste of a pick also. 

I'm surprised he hasn't included a League of Ireland player, when you see the Twitter comments under the squad announcement it's all LoI fans giving out about that. Given that they're the only section of the support base that he still has on his side, it would have seemed pragmatic to call up Scales or someone to keep them on board. You can just see that last bit of support for him dripping away from here.

Realistically the Portugal game is down to him now, if he can't set them up sensibly and pragmatically they'll be destroyed out there and his position will become even less tenable than it already is.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
i'd nearly play Dara O'Shea in front of the back 4. Hes a lovely footballer, decent passer. Looking at that midfield. I think he could do a role like that.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:54pm
Was interesting to hear him go on about getting the fans back in and how good a thing he thought that was. You'd fear he might have a different opinion on that in a couple of weeks time. He dodged the question about pressure and his future prospects and was let off with it by the journos for now, but it surely won't be long until it's pretty much the only question he's being asked.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm
any word on Michael Duffy??

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

i'd nearly play Dara O'Shea in front of the back 4. Hes a lovely footballer, decent passer. Looking at that midfield. I think he could do a role like that.
Be worth a try. If we start with a midfield 3 of hendrick, Hourihane and arter in any of these games he’ll lose a lot of support.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:00pm

But you could say the same for Collins and Omobamidele who, given our options, may not see much game time. On a rotational basis, Doherty/Coleman would step in on the right, Manning/McClean on the left, with Egan, O'Shea and Duffy rotating in the centre. Like I said, Kenny could also have picked Clark. But this experience will stand to them.

The major difference is that we are short stocked in midfield and the moment a single player, particularly in the middle goes down with injury, we dont have deep options, and will need to resort to calling up players. This is where there is a legitimate case for Kilkenny.

I'd be fairly sure he's next in line which seems to be what you're saying here, but it's hard to know because none of the journalists at the press conference asked about him.. Kenny also didn't bring him up.. I'd imagine it's maybe similar to Scales with Kilkenny doing well in that position in recent games, but it being quite new for him (he was a more advanced midfielder before..) - I'd say in that "defensive" role he views Cullen > Arter > A.N. Other as the pecking order and it's up to Kilkenny to play consistently well in that position over a period of time to change his mind.. I don't know that 3/4 games is enough.. 

I guess if we take it that Kenny rates "position knowledge" highly, which his comments seem to indicate, then with the centre halves there's less of a "new to the position" aspect to them, they know the role and it's just about being around the squad and learning about international football.. 

Anyway, Kilkenny now joins the long list of cause célèbre players omitted from Ireland squads, joining luminaries such as Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland etc.. 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:00pm

Next in line for his position was what he said.. made the decision difficult for them

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:04pm

Next in line for his position was what he said.. made the decision difficult for them

i see. may get a call up yet with injuries or what not so.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Was interesting to hear him go on about getting the fans back in and how good a thing he thought that was. You'd fear he might have a different opinion on that in a couple of weeks time. He dodged the question about pressure and his future prospects and was let off with it by the journos for now, but it surely won't be long until it's pretty much the only question he's being asked.

I'd agree completely. 

A heavy loss to Portugal away (with that squad) is highly probable. Especially with their front line and knowing that more than likely will just be sitting back for 90 minutes.

Then two home games back to back. A draw to Azerbaijan and suddenly that Serbia game gets heaped with pressure.

A good few managers have been spared by the lack of fans at games in the last year. The optics of booing fans is usually what tips a wavering higher Archy. (If.they are wavering)

As a fan of Kenny, by not even including certain players and persisting with what doesn't work, all he's doing is making rod for.his own back and making his own supporters question where he's going.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:06pm

I'd be fairly sure he's next in line which seems to be what you're saying here, but it's hard to know because none of the journalists at the press conference asked about him.. Kenny also didn't bring him up.. I'd imagine it's maybe similar to Scales with Kilkenny doing well in that position in recent games, but it being quite new for him (he was a more advanced midfielder before..) - I'd say in that "defensive" role he views Cullen > Arter > A.N. Other as the pecking order and it's up to Kilkenny to play consistently well in that position over a period of time to change his mind.. I don't know that 3/4 games is enough.. 

I guess if we take it that Kenny rates "position knowledge" highly, which his comments seem to indicate, then with the centre halves there's less of a "new to the position" aspect to them, they know the role and it's just about being around the squad and learning about international football.. 

Anyway, Kilkenny now joins the long list of cause célèbre players omitted from Ireland squads, joining luminaries such as Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland etc.. 

That may be fair enough, but the midfield is woefully short, to the point that there ought to be an opening there for somebody like Kilkenny. This would be different if Browne was available, but he isn't. There is a genuine reason to question the inclusion of Arter simply on the basis of football played. He didnt even make the bench for the League Cup game the other night. And surely, your reference to learning about international football is also applicable to Kilkenny, especially in a big squad.

I dont think people are making him a cause celebre, but are acknowledging that in terms of form, and football played the potential to select him is higher because of our lack of options.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:11pm
Harry Arter hasn't played in 7 months. Can't understand how he's in the squad. Alan Browne another big miss on top of Jason Knight; I'd probably have both of them starting. I honestly don't think we'll even beat Azerbaijan. We're on a hiding to nothing. But I honestly think that would be the case under any manager.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:13pm

Speaking of safe options, I can't understand why Randolph isn't in the squad. He's never let us down. And, yes, he isn't getting first team football, but that hasn't stopped him calling up Hendrick, Hourihane and countless others in the same boat.

I don't trust Bazunu or Travers, and Kelleher is badly lacking first team football (just like Randolph).

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: craiglen
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:16pm
Dan McDonnell's tweet there. 

Who are the anti vaxxer muppets in the squad? Looking forward to a raft of positive cases off the back of them. Last thing we need.

-------------
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Scully surely over Shane long! Long hasn't scored for us since 2016. He a striker who doesn't score. That midfield is comical too. 

None of the strikers score. Parrott scored x2 against Andorra but I'll bet you anything he wouldn't score in these 3 games if he started all of them. Has Idah even had a goal opportunity in half-a-dozen appearances? Connolly looks bereft of confidence.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:17pm

That may be fair enough, but the midfield is woefully short, to the point that there ought to be an opening there for somebody like Kilkenny. This would be different if Browne was available, but he isn't. There is a genuine reason to question the inclusion of Arter simply on the basis of football played. He didnt even make the bench for the League Cup game the other night. And surely, your reference to learning about international football is also applicable to Kilkenny, especially in a big squad.

I dont think people are making him a cause celebre, but are acknowledging that in terms of form, and football played the potential to select him is higher because of our lack of options.

yep, and I think he's likely next in line, but I don't think the plan worked on at the summer training camp and the continuity the manager is looking for between that time and these fixtures can be overlooked.. I think Cullen is the man at the base, and Arter is cover for him.. If position-knowledge is the criteria (which the press conference made it out to be) then Arter trumps Kilkenny at this moment in time, even if he is only staying fit by playing U23s games..

I also think that it's only on twitter and here that his name his popping up - the journos didn't ask about him at all, and if you watch the presser around 30 names are mentioned of players in, out and around the squad.. so there is an aspect to this of him being the latest of a long line of players to have his ability elevated simply by virtue of not being named in a squad.. I think he'll play (hopefully well and in that position) for the U21s and then he'll have a better chance of a call up in October or November.. 

I wouldn't be particularly optimistic about us getting anything from either the Portugal or Serbia games anyway to be honest, so I think Kilkenny is better off with the U21s for now.. get him in fresh in October when the real rebuild can start and there's a bit of time in the window to work with him (only 2 games) 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

Dan McDonnell's tweet there. 

Who are the anti vaxxer muppets in the squad? Looking forward to a raft of positive cases off the back of them. Last thing we need.

Kenny never mentioned names. Just basically what's in that tweet.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:21pm
So - a team for the Portugal game out of that lot? Personally I'd go 5-3-2 and batten down the hatches if I was Kenny, try to limit the inevitable damage. I fear (for him as much as anything) that he wont be pragmatic enough.

Bazunu
Coleman Duffy Egan O'Shea Manning
          Cullen Molumby Hendrick
                  Parrott Connolly

Horgan and Idah would offer something off the bench. Hourihane will presumably see some game time given the lack of options in midfield. I could have gone with him or Hendrick - one is as bad as the other really, but figured Hendrick might give us more when we don't have the ball, which will be most of the time.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:24pm
I can see us getting a 1-1 draw in Portugal(Arter with the goal), 2-0 at home to Azerbaijan(Curtis, Long) and 1-0 Serbia(Hendrick). ybig

Bazunu
Coleman Duffy Egan O'Shea Manning
          Cullen Molumby Hendrick
                  Parrott Connolly

I like that 11 and it's about as good as we can put out.
I'd also pick Hendrick over Hourihane as he puts in a bit of the off-the-ball work that will be essential next Wednesday.

I agree that 5-3-2 is most likely, but I think McClean will play left wing back and I wouldn't be surprised to see Idah start.. I think he's a bit more physically robust than Parrott..  

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:34pm
              Bazunu
Doherty Duffy Egan Manning
                 O'Shea
Coleman    Cullen   Hendrick
            Parrott Connolly

Any takers for this type of team for Portugal. Try and use our better players.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:41pm
Shane Long hasn't scored for 5 years. Incredible stat

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:51pm
Kilkenny and Scully will get their chance in the future I'm sure. 3 massive qualifiers are not the place to be sticking in lads who 'might' bet better now than an experienced player on the wane. 

Different if it's a player who is clearly better than what we have. I wouldn't put Scully or Kilkenny in that bucket yet so for me, kenny is right to stick with the guys he had the summer camp with and know what's expected of them. 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Kilkenny and Scully will get their chance in the future I'm sure. 3 massive qualifiers are not the place to be sticking in lads who 'might' bet better now than an experienced player on the wane. 

Different if it's a player who is clearly better than what we have. I wouldn't put Scully or Kilkenny in that bucket yet so for me, kenny is right to stick with the guys he had the summer camp with and know what's expected of them. 

Would argue that Kilkenny is clearly better than Arter. 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:10pm

I suppose the question is, are we pausing the rebuild, and reverting to a results based model? If we are approaching these games to ensure results, and they aren't delivered, what then?

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:12pm

You gotta love that experience. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:15pm

I can see us getting a 1-1 draw in Portugal(Arter with the goal), 2-0 at home to Azerbaijan(Curtis, Long) and 1-0 Serbia(Hendrick). ybig
Can you post what your drinking?

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm
Where our midfielders? We barely have enough for a team

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:21pm
I don't think anyone can dount Portugal are going to tank us and we will do well to get away with say a 3-0 defeat. I don't really see much about us to even cause Serbia problems. A host of players not playing for their clubs or young guys learning their trade. I have given up on this campaign and now only hope to see a few of the younger guys cement their place for the next campaign. Bazunu, O'Shea, Nathan Collins, Knight, Connolly, Parrott and Idah. Maybe see Cullen continue to improve along with Egan who are relatively inexperienced at this level. I also hope we stick to 3-5-2. Let's see how the rest of the campaign goes and whether Kenny deserves to go forward. Huge tests lie ahead. A real possibility of finishing bottom in the group without a win next month of some sort.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:47pm

Would argue that Kilkenny is clearly better than Arter. 

Yeah but Kilkenny is not a holding midfielder like Arter, is he?

Its like the aul argument of Glenn Whelan being in the team when Wes Hoolhan wasnt in the squad.

2 completely different types of player that play in different positions.

Arter is merely there as cover to Cullen in that holding role. In all likelihood wont play unless Cullen gets injured.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:57pm
Very very weak squad, nothing Kenny can do about that. Ok I would have had Kilkenny in but it's not going to change it up a whole lot. The problem is the squad is going to be weakened even further by the time this week's fixtures are over. 
If we get anything out of these three games you would have to say Kenny, Andrews and Barry will have worked some magic.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:06pm
It wouldn't be a disgrace if we lost both games to Portugal & Serbia and even taking into account all that has gone against Kenny, if we don't take maximum points at home to Azerbaijan, his position would have to be considered untenable by any minimum standard. 

One point in two home games to Azerbaijan & Luxembourg is completely unacceptable and the players will almost certainly have lost belief in him then. He would have to be sacked even if he sees out the Serbia game imo. 

Leaving that doomsday stuff to one side, I think we'll get the win against Azerbaijan and may get a result against Serbia with a better referee than the coont we had in Belgrade. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:10pm

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Get the flights to Qatar booked mate

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:20pm
Arter (31) played for Nottingham Forest under-23s on Monday night. He was booked and substituted after an hour after playing poorly. He is on around £2 million a year, same as Jeff Hendrick at Newcastle, and has another two years left on his contract. Chris Hughton will not play him in the first team and the club is desperate to move him on to free up the money he's on, they want to switch to a policy of bringing in younger and less expensive players who will command a resale value. Hard to see who is likely to sign him on those wages. Equally hard to see why he is in the Ireland squad right now.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:02pm
What's James McCarthy's situation? 

I thought he was getting a few minutes at Celtic and coming back.  This team could really do with a fit McCarthy right about now...

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:13pm
There was a rumour about McCarthy having Covid, no idea if true or not, but Ange has hinted that he and James Forrest might be fit for the Old Firm game at Ibrox on Sunday. They're not 100% fit at the moment so are sitting out the European game tonight.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

There was a rumour about McCarthy having Covid, no idea if true or not, but Ange has hinted that he and James Forrest might be fit for the Old Firm game at Ibrox on Sunday. They're not 100% fit at the moment so are sitting out the European game tonight.

Kenny mentioned he spoke to him and he isnt ready due to his latest injury and hopefully could see him for the October games.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:25pm
Kilkenny the saviour of Irish football. 
Like another said, Arter is cover for Cullen. 

Scully, has he been tested at a higher level than L1 or played in any friendlies or even been in the squad before, no. 
It a much of a muchness. You could put him in instead of Long. But Long will clearly be a back up but could also be a go to in certain situations in games, e.g. chasing lost causes

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 9:42pm
Id say Ronaldo is worth more than half the irish squad combined 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Id say Ronaldo is worth more than half the irish squad combined 

Try the entire squad. Nathan Collins is the only one pulling up the numbers with his move to Burnley.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Very very weak squad, nothing Kenny can do about that. Ok I would have had Kilkenny in but it's not going to change it up a whole lot. The problem is the squad is going to be weakened even further by the time this week's fixtures are over. 
If we get anything out of these three games you would have to say Kenny, Andrews and Barry will have worked some magic.

Worked magic if we get anything out of the three games? We're playing Azerbaijan at home FFS.

If we can't beat them at home on top of the Luxembourg loss, the manager is gone by Christmas, simple as that.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:35pm

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Worked magic if we get anything out of the three games? We're playing Azerbaijan at home FFS.

If we can't beat them at home on top of the Luxembourg loss, the manager is gone by Christmas, simple as that.

You could somewhat accept that Luxembourg performance if it were more of a suckerpunch. if we had been playing well and missed loads of chances. But we were terrible.

If something similar happens against Azerbaijan, Kenny's in real trouble. A lot of fans can accept poor results (especially given the players available to him) as long as there is obvious progress being made. If that's not even a positive to focus on, then things may get dicey.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:37pm

You could somewhat accept that Luxembourg performance if it were more of a suckerpunch. if we had been playing well and missed loads of chances. But we were terrible.

If something similar happens against Azerbaijan, Kenny's in real trouble. A lot of fans can accept poor results (especially given the players available to him) as long as there is obvious progress being made. If that's not even a positive to focus on, then things may get dicey.

I hate to say it but if the unthinkable was to happen and we end up with one or two points, there will have to be a forensic discussion as to whether the project has actually been derailed, whether we are in a worse position than we were in December 2019, and whether it is the edge of the wedge, or whether that is as bad as it gets. Even the most hardcore supporters of what Kenny is seen to be doing will have to think twice.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:08pm
could some one tell me what kenny is trying to do?
Sure brining new players but who ever got the job was going to do this as there is very limited options.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:33pm
Kenny is our John Toshack I think. We won't see the benefit for another campaign or two and he probably won't get credit for it. That's my thinking anyway.

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:57pm
 Arter, Hourihane, Hendrick in the squad. I threw up a bit in my mouth reading those names. I like Kenny and want him to succeed but he is doing himself no favours here. The exclusion of Kilkenny is beyond the pale. 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:36am
Kenny is halfway through totally replacing a team of aged players like whelan, mcclean, Shane Long, Randolph etc with the next crop of players.

We'll likely see idah or parrot up front rather than Long. We have a new keeper and the defence of oshea and collins is looking likely sooner rather than later. They will eventually replace Egan and Duffy.

Midfield needs more time to replace hendrick, hourihane, mccarthy and Brady etc.

Hopefully we'll see Molumby and kilkenny step up like Cullen and Knight have.

I would say in one years time we'll have a new team to the one that mccarthy left.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:45am
Robinson and Browne availabel for the two home games it seems  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Where are you seeing this?

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:15am
Kenny mentioned that Browne could be possibly available for 2 home games but haven't heard or seen anything on Robinson? 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Where are you seeing this?

A little media outlet called Rte 😀😀😀

”Alan is a close contact, so he is ruled out of the first game. He also has an injury. We are strongly considering having Alan Browne and Callum Robinson available for the two games in Dublin, we will have to wait and see, it is a possibility”

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0826/1243036-kenny-would-prefer-to-have-all-his-players-vaccinated/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0826/1243036-kenny-would-prefer-to-have-all-his-players-vaccinated/

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0826/1243019-kenny-hoping-good-week-can-alter-world-cup-course/?fbclid=IwAR12SZA_FF7F16jeulsl_DVsAXGOUEuIioXPaRypRIroauAXkmeoZ4rH2qc" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0826/1243019-kenny-hoping-good-week-can-alter-world-cup-course/?fbclid=IwAR12SZA_FF7F16jeulsl_DVsAXGOUEuIioXPaRypRIroauAXkmeoZ4rH2qc

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:26am
Azerbaijan is Kennys Cup Final.

The other 2 games are a free shot but failure to beat Azerbaijan will mean 1 point from 6bin the 2 home games against the bottom 2 seeds. I wouldn't see a a way back from that.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Kenny is our John Toshack I think. We won't see the benefit for another campaign or two and he probably won't get credit for it. That's my thinking anyway.

that could very well happen. could be 2 more campaigns before we see real progression, and that is if we actually do see any. we could be in for years and years of hardship. not doom and gllom just an every increasing possibility i think.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:32am

that could very well happen. could be 2 more campaigns before we see real progression, and that is if we actually do see any. we could be in for years and years of hardship. not doom and gllom just an every increasing possibility i think.

Yeah I made the Toshack
Reference months ago on here and I think it will
Come to pass.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Arter, Hourihane, Hendrick in the squad. I threw up a bit in my mouth reading those names.

Top supporter! 

I always find it a bit odd that so many people on here seem to hate all of our players and despise watching us play.. like, you could get another hobby either? 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:38am

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Arter, Hourihane, Hendrick in the squad. I threw up a bit in my mouth reading those names.

Top supporter! 

I always find it a bit odd that so many people on here seem to hate all of our players and despise watching us play.. like, you could get another hobby either? 

The biggest laugh I get is people shocked at the squad announcements.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 10:04am
Serbia is not a free shot - he needs a result badly in that game, another loss to them is not good enough. Portugal is also not a free shot in that if they take a thrashing it will make things near impossible for him.

Azerbaijan is a must win. Anything less than 4 points from the three games moves him closer to the exit door.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 10:06am
By all means voice opposition to squad selections, but counter with alternatives.

I was hoping Kilkenny would make the squad as we lack a player such as him and there's plenty of cover in the 21s.
I'd have him in as a extra body with the aim of making hs debut over one of the three matches.

I'd not have Arter in the squad but then you see he's the only specialist cover for Cullen, so it makes sense and who would you have in for that position instead?
Coventry? Hardly ever kicked sa ball at senior level?
Maybe, but as an extra, not a replacement.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Yeah I made the Toshack
Come to pass.  
So you're jumping from a safe-as-houses "one campaign" to another Euros and WC. I presume you're throwing in a Nations League too. Fair play to you for embracing "years and years of hardship". 

Maybe we like the misery!!!!

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:18am

Yeah I made the Toshack
Come to pass.  
So you're jumping from a safe-as-houses "one campaign" to another Euros and WC. I presume you're throwing in a Nations League too. Fair play to you for embracing "years and years of hardship". 

Maybe we like the misery!!!!
Poor brick thought it was going to be ole ole ole all his life!

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:26am

If it comes to pass that we have a fit Robinson available for for the Azerbaijan & Serbia games, then the covid infection could actually be a blessing in disguise tbh.

He could've been a bit tired going into the Azerbaijan home match with the amount of covering and tracking back he'd be doing out against Portugal so it would be great to have a fresher Robinson (and to a lesser extent Browne who has a knack for goals) available for the two games that we'll be aiming to pick up the minimum 4 points.  

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:51am
yeah our lads are much better than their club performances and international performances suggest.   They are all extremely talented players who are just a little shy about.showing on a football pitch at senior level.  Clearly the manger is the issue as he cant seem to get them to play to their true potential far above anything they have ever shown. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

If it comes to pass that we have a fit Robinson available for for the Azerbaijan & Serbia games, then the covid infection could actually be a blessing in disguise tbh.

He could've been a bit tired going into the Azerbaijan home match with the amount of covering and tracking back he'd be doing out against Portugal so it would be great to have a fresher Robinson (and to a lesser extent Browne who has a knack for goals) available for the two games that we'll be aiming to pick up the minimum 4 points.  

Really depends on how badly Covid has affected him too, would be great if it did work out too, as you said might be for the better.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:00pm

We have the players capable of getting four points from the three games. But without pragmatic management and a flexible game plan, they also are capable of zero points. 

It's a bit of a stretch to say that this team, with less experienced players who play at a lower level, is going to do better at home against Serbia than the 2017 team who lost against them while playing against 10 men.. That same 2017 team drew 2-2 away with them - this team lost to them away.. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to beat them or even sneak a draw, but realistically, either of those results would be an upset... I'm sure the odds will reflect that in the bookies.. 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:04pm
@Baldrick 

Even taking all the bad luck Kenny has had and the depleted/weakest Irish squad etc etc would you acknowledge that Kenny's position would be practically untenable if we finish in 4th or 5th spot behind Luxembourg & Azerbaijan irrespective of other factors?  

In those dire circumstances, would you still give Kenny the EURO 2024 qualification campaign?  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net