You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poppies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charco2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:56am
Let them shove their poppies up their holes

Edited by charco2006 - 10 Nov 2011 at 8:59am
"What ya doin down there ya shoneen man!"
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 9:33am
Nice to see some (most) rational argument here (even though it is a pointless debate in my opinion)...but it's good to see posters haven't thrown all rationale out the window and just have a pop at the English, because it's all some people know...or like...to do.

Fair play.

Then Charco wrote a post!

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:04am
Remember that plenty Irish died in the war. My own grandfather was in the RAF and I would gladly wear a poppy to commemorate him and his friends who died.
My grandfather was lucky and lived through the war if he was still with us he'd be furious at the situation regarding poppies now.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:13am
England should be allowed to wear the Poppies i dont see what the problem is!!

Still though between the Tevez row & the Poppies row its getting annoying at this stage it keeps dragging on....
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Still though between the Tevez row & the Poppies row its getting annoying at this stage it keeps dragging on....

Really. Its simple enough to me. If they let England wear the poppies then a precedent will be there and the flood gates will open and every country will want to have somthing on their shirts to commemorate. It would bring in a host of political sensitivities between countrys, which are best kept out of football.

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 10 Nov 2011 at 10:29am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Really. Its simple enough to me. If they let England wear the poppies then a precedent will be there and the flood gates will open and every country will want to have somthing on their shirts to commemorate. It would bring in a host of political sensitivities between countrys, which are best kept out of football.

any examples of a country that may want to do this that would offend another country?? dont think there's many myself
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 11:25am
If we wanted to wear an Easter Lily in 2016 if we had a match (Highly Hypothetical event I know) to commemorate those who died for Irish Independence FIFA would have to allow us as a result of allowing England wear the poppy. Have no problem with England wearing it if other countries are allowed follow suit. If not then the situation is a farce
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 1:39pm
Well i wasnt trying to say one country could do what they want & another couldnt , i dont care either way im just sick of hearing about it!!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
superdfc View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:27pm
Of course we could wear the Lilly but do you really think the government would let the irish team do it. Imagine the field day rte would have.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

any examples of a country that may want to do this that would offend another country?? dont think there's many myself

In fairness I dont know many meself either. But that said Im sure there are plenty of Balkan, ex-Russian and African states that wouldnt mind having a go at their ex-rulers or neighbours. Simpler to leave it out of football imo.

Eamonn68 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamonn68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

International football in itself is political, national flags are political and most obviously national anthems are political. Ive no opinion on the heroin flower thingy because im not a voyeur of all things British. If you want to have no politics in international football, then you might as well scrap the whole thing.

Do you read what you type                  ^^^ what a crock^^^ 
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 6:37pm

I Wouldn't wear a poppy meself , if it was just associated with those killed in WW2 fair enough, but I dont' have any sympathy for british soldiers, that have been killed in Ulster,Afganistan, The Falklands or Iraq

Edited by The Q Man - 11 Nov 2011 at 6:41pm
superdfc View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 10:56pm
In fairness the english like to relate the poppy story a lot to ww1 and 2 but they never mention the rest as far as the poppy goes in recent years it is a sign of  murder  in my eyes my opinion
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:21am
The poppy has been taken from being an act of remembrance for future generations to never allow war like WW1 and WW2 to happen again to a jingoistic support our troops pile of shoite.

The demand that you bow to the power of the poppy has become almost Nazi like.
Certain mods are complete wankstains
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Eamonn68 Eamonn68 wrote:

International football in itself is political, national flags are political and most obviously national anthems are political. Ive no opinion on the heroin flower thingy because im not a voyeur of all things British. If you want to have no politics in international football, then you might as well scrap the whole thing.

Explain? I think we really should start banning sh*te posters like yourself Sleepy

Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Eamonn68 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamonn68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:24am

Explain? I think we really should start banning sh*te posters like yourself Sleepy

Explain? just read what you type, you  spout sh*te
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:27am

Explain why you disagree with the post you moron. Thats the point of a forum.

Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Eamonn68 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamonn68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:38am

Explain why you disagree with the post you moron. Thats the point of a forum.

Sh*te posts and now name calling, oh dear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic