Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=33954
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 10:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Poppies
Posted By: athlonecelt
Subject: Poppies
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:49pm
The argument put forward by Sky Sports news, The house of commons and Prince Harry that poppies arent political is ridiculous. When England play Spain there will be armed forces all around the ground. This is not political ?

England had no problem til now with this reasonable rule that no politics, religion or any other type of agenda be brought into Sport. Its a fair rule.
In the eyes of the British they have done no wrong, and these soldiers fought  for the freedom that they enjoy today. They did in my arse. Most of their fighting was attacking other nations and not defending themselves. Regardless of this argument , many Irish and British decent men died and deserve to be remembered. How many of the great British public will attend ceremonies, masses, visit graves this week,? (although its going on a month now). What we are about to see now is Poppies everywhere. In all the boozers, on all the t shirts, babies tatoos, songs on the terraces. 

But the rule is there for a reason. NO POLITICAL JESTURES.
How many European countries have been at war with each other in very recent times. Tensions still remain high between various countries. The rule has been changed now for England. Does this mean Slovakia can have some' non political' symbol on their shirt. Something to remember their dead. Something that othet countries might get very irate about very quickly.
Or what about some Muslim fundamentalist countries ? Wonder what theyd like on their shirts ?
What bout a symbol for all those killed by Gadaffi ? These poor souls should be remembered ??

So anyway, Easter Lillies it is instead of 3 logo

Replies:
Posted By: Siralex
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:58pm
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not to you Athlone, just in general about this story.

I think somehow both FIFA and the English FA/government have all come out of this looking ridiculously childish!

What a pointless, silly and immature little argument, all just trying to prove they have muscle!

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 4:10pm
Rule hasn't changed either, the poppy is on the black armband, not on the front of the jersey. Germany don't give a sh*t about it so don't see why we should. Plus, we're playing Estonia in a play off in the next six days, I couldn't give a fook what England are doing to be honest.
Most of the news you get, especially sports, is British media so obviously they are going to go on about it. It's international week and apart from our game, there's not much happening so this poppy thing is an easy page filler or segment on the sports news.

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:01pm
Irish people, particularly left wing republicans are like voyeurs to everything British. They watch from afar and comment between themselves on every little thing, whilst their subjects dont even know they exist.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:09pm

Thats great Landon but make up your own thread instead of putting in something totally unrelated and irrelevent.

The point being debated is whether the poppy is infact political or not. Im firmly on the side that it is. And to argue otherwise is totally bending the rules to suit themselves on this one occasion. However it opens up the possibility of other countries doing the same, which is dangerous, unfortunately.

The poppy hs been on shirts for a few weekns and nobody cared. But the argument of it being non political is silly.

Support the troops LandonThumbs Up

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:11pm
Jaysis Confused

-------------

Posted By: joejoe
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:14pm
you tell him Celt Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:19pm

International football in itself is political, national flags are political and most obviously national anthems are political. Ive no opinion on the heroin flower thingy because im not a voyeur of all things British. If you want to have no politics in international football, then you might as well scrap the whole thing.

-------------

Posted By: GINN
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:42pm
Let's learn to distinguish between "Britain" and "England".

-------------
NINE 11 - YBIG FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 2011/12

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:46pm
Can we realize it's 2011 too while people are using their intelligence!

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:02pm
In 1920 the poppy was introduced as a symbol to remember those who died in WW1. It was worn by people who wanted to wear it at rememberance events on Armistice Day.
After WW2 rememberence Sunday became a day of rememberence for those who died in both wars and the poppy continued as the symbol.
Now it is used as a rememberence of those who died in all wars.
The money raised from poppy sales goes to the Royal British Legion and what was once a day of rememberence where those who wanted to wore poppies is now a 2-3 week sales campaign where people have a lot more pressure put on them to buy one than they used to.
It used to be the people selling them were members of the legion, old retired service people, widows etc. Now it's not unusal to have service personnel in uniform selling them. Last year out of the blue two soldiers in full guards uniform turned up at my office to sell them to people at their desks, I was in a pub one night and a sailor came up to me in uniform trying to sell me one, he looked pretty offended when I said no.
The media has turned this into a political football, people who don't wear poppies on TV are named and shamed so now anyone who appears on a BBC programme between late October and mid November has to wear a poppy to avoid being lambasted by the press.
Ken Clarke appeared in parliament last week without a poppy and the press was ready to have a go at him, he was forced to issue a statment saying he had one but it fell off, so basically he had to defend himself for not wearing a piece of paper on his jacket.
Football clubs have started wearing special shirts with poppies embroidered into them to show that they all remember and care and are grateful for the sacrifice etc. Even players who have no idea what it means wear these shirts through no choice of their own. You have Argentinian players (to take one example) some of whom will have family/friends who fought the British 30 or so years ago forced to wear a symbol supporting the British army who fought against them. It's a joke.

There have been international matches around this time of year for years, England never asked to have a poppy on their shirts for them, 10 years ago they played Sweden on the Saturday before rememberence Sunday and they didn't wear a poppy and nobody cared. But now they feel like they have to? The PM thinks that not allowing them to is a disgrace? The royal family get involved?
Not political? Ask me bollix.

Did the soldiers who fought and died against the nazis do it so that people would be forced to wear symbols on their shirts? Or did they do it to stop people from being forced to wear symbols?

I have no problem with people wearing them, I have no problem with the British Legion raising money selling them, I have no problem with the British nation taking some time out to remember their dead, but I have a massive problem with how it is being turned into some sort of loyalty test, and how people now feel like they have to wear one, and how those in the public eye end up being forced to wear it or explain themselves.

The whole episode has been a manufactured sh*t storm, I don't know if the FA were deliberately trying to stir it up, I doubt it, but somebody was trying to stir some sh*t and they succeeded, and FIFA made a massive mistake. Now the door is open for any country to decide that they want to wear special symbols on armbands during matches.

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:50pm
Every year same story. England shouldnt be allowed wear them if its a FIFA rule. You cant go bending rules just for england. Anyone else can do what they f**king like with the yokes. Wouldnt wear one myself but think the whole hulabaloo about them every year is a bore. nobody should be forced to wear them or not wear them unless there has been a prior rule against them such as the FIFA rule.

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:58pm
i taught fifa ban countries who allow political interference??? is this not a contradiction when their pm sends them a letter???

whats worst fifa would do if they just wore them anyway?

Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

In 1920 the poppy was introduced as a symbol to remember those who died in WW1. It was worn by people who wanted to wear it at rememberance events on Armistice Day.
After WW2 rememberence Sunday became a day of rememberence for those who died in both wars and the poppy continued as the symbol.
Now it is used as a rememberence of those who died in all wars.
The money raised from poppy sales goes to the Royal British Legion and what was once a day of rememberence where those who wanted to wore poppies is now a 2-3 week sales campaign where people have a lot more pressure put on them to buy one than they used to.
It used to be the people selling them were members of the legion, old retired service people, widows etc. Now it's not unusal to have service personnel in uniform selling them. Last year out of the blue two soldiers in full guards uniform turned up at my office to sell them to people at their desks, I was in a pub one night and a sailor came up to me in uniform trying to sell me one, he looked pretty offended when I said no.
The media has turned this into a political football, people who don't wear poppies on TV are named and shamed so now anyone who appears on a BBC programme between late October and mid November has to wear a poppy to avoid being lambasted by the press.
Ken Clarke appeared in parliament last week without a poppy and the press was ready to have a go at him, he was forced to issue a statment saying he had one but it fell off, so basically he had to defend himself for not wearing a piece of paper on his jacket.
Football clubs have started wearing special shirts with poppies embroidered into them to show that they all remember and care and are grateful for the sacrifice etc. Even players who have no idea what it means wear these shirts through no choice of their own. You have Argentinian players (to take one example) some of whom will have family/friends who fought the British 30 or so years ago forced to wear a symbol supporting the British army who fought against them. It's a joke.

There have been international matches around this time of year for years, England never asked to have a poppy on their shirts for them, 10 years ago they played Sweden on the Saturday before rememberence Sunday and they didn't wear a poppy and nobody cared. But now they feel like they have to? The PM thinks that not allowing them to is a disgrace? The royal family get involved?
Not political? Ask me bollix.

Did the soldiers who fought and died against the nazis do it so that people would be forced to wear symbols on their shirts? Or did they do it to stop people from being forced to wear symbols?

I have no problem with people wearing them, I have no problem with the British Legion raising money selling them, I have no problem with the British nation taking some time out to remember their dead, but I have a massive problem with how it is being turned into some sort of loyalty test, and how people now feel like they have to wear one, and how those in the public eye end up being forced to wear it or explain themselves.

The whole episode has been a manufactured sh*t storm, I don't know if the FA were deliberately trying to stir it up, I doubt it, but somebody was trying to stir some sh*t and they succeeded, and FIFA made a massive mistake. Now the door is open for any country to decide that they want to wear special symbols on armbands during matches.

Great post and I agree 100% with every point in there.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:57am
No better time to hitting these folks with some cracking Simon Weston jokes Big smile

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:23am
Have no problem with people wearing them as long as they don't moan about people wearing the Lilly at Easter. A thing I would have a problem with is the way the British say that they entered this war and the second world war for freedom which is clearly false considering they only wanted to ensure that there was no danger to their empire.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:58am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Have no problem with people wearing them as long as they don't moan about people wearing the Lilly at Easter. A thing I would have a problem with is the way the British say that they entered this war and the second world war for freedom which is clearly false considering they only wanted to ensure that there was no danger to their empire.

Don't most countries enter wars for their own interests? Nobody in their right mind thinks America is in Iraq or Afghanistan to gave the local people freedom.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:06am
Load of nonsense. If the Germans tried something similar to honour their war fatalities there'd be uproar. This should not be allowed.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: charco2006
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:56am
Let them shove their poppies up their holes

-------------
"What ya doin down there ya shoneen man!"

Posted By: Siralex
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 9:33am
Nice to see some (most) rational argument here (even though it is a pointless debate in my opinion)...but it's good to see posters haven't thrown all rationale out the window and just have a pop at the English, because it's all some people know...or like...to do.

Fair play.

Then Charco wrote a post!

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:04am
Remember that plenty Irish died in the war. My own grandfather was in the RAF and I would gladly wear a poppy to commemorate him and his friends who died.
My grandfather was lucky and lived through the war if he was still with us he'd be furious at the situation regarding poppies now.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:13am
England should be allowed to wear the Poppies i dont see what the problem is!!

Still though between the Tevez row & the Poppies row its getting annoying at this stage it keeps dragging on....

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Still though between the Tevez row & the Poppies row its getting annoying at this stage it keeps dragging on....

Really. Its simple enough to me. If they let England wear the poppies then a precedent will be there and the flood gates will open and every country will want to have somthing on their shirts to commemorate. It would bring in a host of political sensitivities between countrys, which are best kept out of football.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Really. Its simple enough to me. If they let England wear the poppies then a precedent will be there and the flood gates will open and every country will want to have somthing on their shirts to commemorate. It would bring in a host of political sensitivities between countrys, which are best kept out of football.

any examples of a country that may want to do this that would offend another country?? dont think there's many myself

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 11:25am
If we wanted to wear an Easter Lily in 2016 if we had a match (Highly Hypothetical event I know) to commemorate those who died for Irish Independence FIFA would have to allow us as a result of allowing England wear the poppy. Have no problem with England wearing it if other countries are allowed follow suit. If not then the situation is a farce

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 1:39pm
Well i wasnt trying to say one country could do what they want & another couldnt , i dont care either way im just sick of hearing about it!!

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: superdfc
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:27pm
Of course we could wear the Lilly but do you really think the government would let the irish team do it. Imagine the field day rte would have.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

any examples of a country that may want to do this that would offend another country?? dont think there's many myself

In fairness I dont know many meself either. But that said Im sure there are plenty of Balkan, ex-Russian and African states that wouldnt mind having a go at their ex-rulers or neighbours. Simpler to leave it out of football imo.

Posted By: Eamonn68
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

International football in itself is political, national flags are political and most obviously national anthems are political. Ive no opinion on the heroin flower thingy because im not a voyeur of all things British. If you want to have no politics in international football, then you might as well scrap the whole thing.

Do you read what you type                  ^^^ what a crock^^^ 

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 6:37pm

I Wouldn't wear a poppy meself , if it was just associated with those killed in WW2 fair enough, but I dont' have any sympathy for british soldiers, that have been killed in Ulster,Afganistan, The Falklands or Iraq

Posted By: superdfc
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 10:56pm
In fairness the english like to relate the poppy story a lot to ww1 and 2 but they never mention the rest as far as the poppy goes in recent years it is a sign of  murder  in my eyes my opinion

Posted By: samscafe
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:21am
The poppy has been taken from being an act of remembrance for future generations to never allow war like WW1 and WW2 to happen again to a jingoistic support our troops pile of shoite.

The demand that you bow to the power of the poppy has become almost Nazi like.

-------------
Certain mods are complete wankstains

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Eamonn68 Eamonn68 wrote:

Explain? I think we really should start banning sh*te posters like yourself Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:24am

Explain? I think we really should start banning sh*te posters like yourself Sleepy

Explain? just read what you type, you  spout sh*te

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:27am

Explain why you disagree with the post you moron. Thats the point of a forum.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:38am

Explain why you disagree with the post you moron. Thats the point of a forum.

Sh*te posts and now name calling, oh dear

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:41am
What do you disagree about with my original post?  

-------------

Posted By: kelvin
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 10:19am
Have to agree with Landon. What about the anthems? In itself they are political and many include references to wars that they have won/lost against other nations. This could be very offensive to the nations they were at war with.

While I don't think anthems are as 'in your face' (languages often mask them) as a symbol on a jersey, it brings up the same arguments.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has bothered to ask the English players if they even wanted to display the poppy on their shirt? I doubt it. What I like about the poppy appeal is the way people used to choose to wear it and show support. These days that's gone and it's seen as almost sacrilege if you don't wear one.

Living in England, I often get comments about why I'm not wearing one. I find that shocking. Even disregarding the fact that I'm Irish, for someone to come up to you and ask why you're not supporting what they support is f**king ridiculous.

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 10:39am
2011                                                                                                                        1933

Posted By: samscafe
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 11:43am
was it 1938 when the England international team all gave the Nazi salute

-------------
Certain mods are complete wankstains

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:07pm
Be a nice earner selling them
Every fuker seems to have one

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:37pm
Have the soccer teams stopped wearing these?

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:40pm
It was seen as a bad example, legitimizing heroine. Talk of Pats wearing one for this very reason on Sunday.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 6:43pm
http://athousandflowers.net/2013/11/05/selective-remembrance-and-the-problem-with-poppymania/" rel="nofollow - http://athousandflowers.net/2013/11/05/selective-remembrance-and-the-problem-with-poppymania/
Brilliantly frank piece on the poppy

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

It was seen as a bad example, legitimizing heroine. Talk of Pats wearing one for this very reason on Sunday.

LOL

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:08pm
Can we get some ybig poppies made?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:01am
The poppy is the equivalent of the cannabis leaf emblem, all these junkie promoters.

Good to see Rodgers, Wenger and Martinez wearing the smallest possible pins possible. Drugs Out!

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Can we get some ybig poppies made?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:00pm
https://amancanhavenogreaterlove.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/political-football-mcclean-remembers-what-others-choose-to-forget/" rel="nofollow - https://amancanhavenogreaterlove.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/political-football-mcclean-remembers-what-others-choose-to-forget/

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:40am
Conor McGregor says yes.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Conor McGregor says yes.

Yet his entrance to the ring tune was the foggy dew, think the lad has had to many digs to the head.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

http://athousandflowers.net/2013/11/05/selective-remembrance-and-the-problem-with-poppymania/" rel="nofollow - http://athousandflowers.net/2013/11/05/selective-remembrance-and-the-problem-with-poppymania/
Brilliantly frank piece on the poppy

Hits the nail right on the head. Good read.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:55am

God this time of the year has become fairly painful. Another two weeks of 'controversy' ahead. Ermm

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:58am
Whats the difference in McGregor wearing a poppy and every other irish sportsperson (bar James McClean) when on TV in the UK?

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 10:05am
I don't think there is one - wasn't that one of the points McGregor made in his rant? As he stated the poppy is supposed to cover all wars and all armies, it's just been kind of hijacked as a symbol more recently by the British, who have since gone on to engage in a form of 'poppy facism' as pointed out by the likes of Jon Snow.

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Whats the difference in McGregor wearing a poppy and every other irish sportsperson (bar James McClean) when on TV in the UK?

McGregor doesn't live or work in Britain.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

McGregor is not a sportsperson. 

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:28am
LOLLOLLOL

Fair point

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:58am
Im considering wearing one this year.

Just to piss people off.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Just to piss people off.

That seems completely reasonable right enough.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Just to piss people off.

Or put a hole in your Bosina away ticket then put the poppy in your button hole , hey if anyone asks you can just tell them it's a spare Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Just to piss people off.

Or put a hole in your Bosina away ticket then put the poppy in your button hole , hey if anyone asks you can just tell them it's a spare Big smile

Have you ever made any money from writing comedy?

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

If we wanted to wear an Easter Lily in 2016 if we had a match (Highly Hypothetical event I know) to commemorate those who died for Irish Independence FIFA would have to allow us as a result of allowing England wear the poppy. Have no problem with England wearing it if other countries are allowed follow suit. If not then the situation is a farce

IrishPride four years ahead of himself, we're playing Switzerland on Good Friday next year

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:39pm
I don't need to wear one, we've planes with huge poppies on them ffs

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

IrishPride four years ahead of himself, we're playing Switzerland on Good Friday next year

Easter Lillies for the centenary of the rising would be a nice touch

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

i think if you were flyingit Bryner, the big poppy on the side of the yoke would be the least of my concerns

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:53pm
Not sure the Lily would have universal appeal in the same way that many in the UK wouldn't support the poppy 

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by londonirish londonirish wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

i think if you were flyingit Bryner, the big poppy on the side of the yoke would be the least of my concerns

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

Easter Lillies for the centenary of the rising would be a nice touch

Lil is too closely associated with the Provos and the establishment will find it uncomfortable so it's a non starter.. expect the FAI will mark it somehow

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:20pm
Jurgen Klopp wearing one during the Friday interview there. Jurgen, the German, who likely had ancestors fighting agin' the Crown.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:27pm
When I was a kid (early 70's alas) you would often see elderly gentlemen wearing poppies in their button holes in Dublin. A lot of Dubliners who were blacklisted after the 1913 Lockout fought in WW1 to provide for their families. Sadly a lot of them never made in home.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:44pm
Back then the poppy was both a commemoration and fundraiser for WW1 veterans. When the last of them died there had to be an expanding of scope to keep it going. Which is around the same time the whole thing went mental.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm
I hear the German people will be wearing swastika badges to commemorate their fallen heroes

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:00pm

I hear the German people will be wearing swastika badges to commemorate their fallen heroes

Did you know there was a company called The Swastika Laundry in Dublin until the mid 80s ?

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:04pm

Did you know there was a company called The Swastika Laundry in Dublin until the mid 80s ?

They were renowned for their ability to get rid of Nazi stains

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:35pm

And here's me thinking for years that the swastika was a Hindu symbol adorned by young men during the celebration of Upanayana. Silly me...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

I suppose you have to give the their Jews

-------------

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:47pm

They were a gas bunch in fairness

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

some shower alright

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 5:23pm
Were they trying to launder society?

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

some shower alright

Great at following orders too

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 12:40am

Your (Hol)Low-Cost dry cleaners in Dublin 4!

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 1:57pm

LOL

GiantPoppyWatch is great for finding weird stuff like this

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 2:02pm
 I love the man cave with poppies painted on the walls. Classy. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 2:05pm
Check out the boozer on the Twitter page

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 2:06pm
Putting the poppy on Cookie Monster still cracks me up. It's  a puppet ffs LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

My town in Cheshire has all the poppies up on the lamp posts as off today. Noticed it in the surrounding towns as well. Can’t really go anywhere without seeing either someone selling them or soldiers standing on the Streets. It’s a bit much. In saying that it doesn’t bother me much here, where it did back home in the North. Not one person associates the poppy with Northern Ireland, unlike our unionists in the North who are supporting soldier F.

I'd thought you'd be wearing one since you've morphed into an anti Republican Tory.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
Passed a bus on the way home with the destination down as ‘we will remember them’. One of the funniest things I have seen in a while. No matter what your views on the poppy and the fact that ordinary citizen is being asked to fund the government’s problems, there has to be a point where someone realised how disrespectful it all is. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

My town in Cheshire has all the poppies up on the lamp posts as off today. Noticed it in the surrounding towns as well. Can’t really go anywhere without seeing either someone selling them or soldiers standing on the Streets. It’s a bit much. In saying that it doesn’t bother me much here, where it did back home in the North. Not one person associates the poppy with Northern Ireland, unlike our unionists in the North who are supporting soldier F.
If the lampposts haven’t donated to the RBL they are, in effect, stealing.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
f**king hell! I just saw Cudworth has remembrance lights! LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

f**king hell! I just saw Cudworth has remembrance lights! LOLLOLLOLLOL

Outstanding LOL

-------------

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:34pm
That definitely looks like a giant bumhole.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

LOLPeachy alright.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

LOL

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:51pm
And by voting Tory you are more likely to get them killed, so you win twice.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:07pm
Mary Poppins film has been renamed Mary Poppies in honour of the fallen

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:31pm
Give it a few years and it might be shameful for any town not to have remembrance lights. It only takes one lunatic idea to take the madness up a notch.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:22pm
http://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1193141135780261893?s=20" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1193141135780261893?s=20

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

http://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1193141135780261893?s=20" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1193141135780261893?s=20

LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Holy sweet mother of god what is wrong with peopleLOL as the tans fall over themselves to be ‘respectful’ to their murderers in uniform they just continually turn it into a more and more of a laughing stock...its brilliantLOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net