You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Night before the Italy game I think almost every Italian fan I met had an English accent !

I met a lad whose Mother was Irish and Father Italian, he was following Italy for as long as they were there and has done many internationals with them. 
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:29pm

Night before the Italy game I think almost every Italian fan I met had an English accent !

Lot of second generation Italians over there alright
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Lot of second generation Italians over there alright

Bedford is full of them. I arrived in Cambridge yesterday and was heading somewhere to catch their game, was a roar went up from three different establishments that suggested they were winning.
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 7:48pm
Did anyone see the video of Cian Prendergast singing the National Anthem at the Sweden Game? Cian is 4 and 3rd Generation Irish living in London.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 8:50pm
Mentioned it in the thread about the Fields, very impressive and heart warming.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 10:49pm
Only2Keaneos View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Only2Keaneos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:46pm
[QUOTE=Butch]Not worth a new thread but might relate to some of the U.K. Lads

www.transferwise.com/gb/blog/how-to-adjust-to-life-irish-in-the-uk/?utm_medium=content&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=irish_in_uk[/QUOTE]

What a long winded way of telling you to transfer your money using transfer wise...The crafty hures.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 3:28pm
bump
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by farneybhoy farneybhoy wrote:

Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

This is so refreshing to read. 

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 

I'm a regular home and away traveler and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. 

Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. 

That's a belter of a post. Clap

Same on you Sean.
On the Villa :)

Great post
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 2:09am
Spotted a kid with a Plastic Paddy and Proud on the s bahn recently. Explained to my daughter what it meant.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 2:55am
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Spotted a kid with a Plastic Paddy and Proud on the s bahn recently. Explained to my daughter what it meant.

Was it a Neck tshirt by any chance?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 7:13am
Did laugh in Belgrade as one Irish girl asked me where did I watch the GAA , I told her that I had zero interest in it , she ask me if I was Irish . Hey I did want to say that I  wasn't the one wearing a Rugby top in Belgrade Big smile made me smile at the time .  
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 10:17am
Name and shame Murph :)
AKA pedantic kunt
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 10:35am
Was talking to a few Birmingham based lads over there on Sunday (I think). All sound lads.
Everyone has different background stories. If you're Irish, you're Irish.

Edited by Trapped - 09 Sep 2016 at 10:36am
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 10:52am
Jaysus Murph, have you no interest in 30 lads with sticks horsing into each other?
Surely you'd shed a little tear if Mayo win Sam next week.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Jaysus Murph, have you no interest in 30 lads with sticks horsing into each other?
Surely you'd shed a little tear if Mayo win Sam next week.
Love to see them get beaten really , hey it's Mayo shirt season in the factory at the moment where I work , only straw hats and bits of wool are missing LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Was it a Neck tshirt by any chance?

PM
Yes this is the one the kid (pre teens I would guess) was wearing
http://www.mudkiss.com/leeson.htm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:24pm
Used to have one, although I got mocked for the accent when wearing it, gave it to a proper plastic! Great live band, Leeson is a good skin too. A man after my own heart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic