URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53969
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem
Posted By: Keltica
Subject: "Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:26am
Well lads,

We travel with a couple of second generation Irish guys from England and I know thousands of others do to. I know it's a minority of fans, but the abuse they got of some lads in Poland was shocking, they really were getting sick of it towards the end of the two weeks, even with the banter side of it. One of them was explaining that he used to get abuse the whole way through school for being Irish, and now he was getting it for being English while supporting Ireland! I consider it a huge honour that someone could be born and raised in another country and yet choose to support The Boys in Green, and I think we should be letting these lads know that.

On another note regarding the most important chant of all, the prize for the best ever rendition of the National Anthem goes to the fans at the first Ireland v England rugby game at Croke Park; but I think The Boys in Green can beat that against Sweden! I'll be brushing up on it myself because it's very difficult to sing it at the very top of your lungs when you don't know all the words. Let's all make and effort to brush up on it so come the 13th June we can take the fu*king roof off the Stade de France, scare the sh1te out of the Swedes, and show the whole of Europe that we are back!!!

-------------
On the First day of Christmas...

Replies:
Posted By: HampshireDub
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Keltica Keltica wrote:

Well lads,

We travel with a couple of second generation Irish guys from England and I know thousands of others do to. I know it's a minority of fans, but the abuse they got of some lads in Poland was shocking, they really were getting sick of it towards the end of the two weeks, even with the banter side of it. One of them was explaining that he used to get abuse the whole way through school for being Irish, and now he was getting it for being English while supporting Ireland! I consider it a huge honour that someone could be born and raised in another country and yet choose to support The Boys in Green, and I think we should be letting these lads know that.

On another note regarding the most important chant of all, the prize for the best ever rendition of the National Anthem goes to the fans at the first Ireland v England rugby game at Croke Park; but I think The Boys in Green can beat that against Sweden! I'll be brushing up on it myself because it's very difficult to sing it at the very top of your lungs when you don't know all the words. Let's all make and effort to brush up on it so come the 13th June we can take the fu*king roof off the Stade de France, scare the sh1te out of the Swedes, and show the whole of Europe that we are back!!!

Here here in your first point Keltica.

I've live in the UK now for nearly 15 years but born and raised in the smoke in Dublin.
I remember popping into a pub in 2003 to watch a game and being pleasantly surprised to see about 3 or 4 green jerseys.
Got chatting and was bemused at the strong 'landaan' accents on the lads.
The term 'plastic paddy' is insulting and I detest it.
I've met so many second generation Irish in London who lets not forget didn't have it easy in the 70's and 80's over here. An accent means nothing it's to be welcomed and embraced and I've met some passionate Irishmen and women with various accents.

As regards the Anthem it's a wonderful song but doesn't really lend itself too well to being sung at the top of the lungs. It's not really what it was designed for but sing it out and sing it loud as they say.

Putting a slight spin on it, for me the French anthem is head and shoulders above them all. Rousing belter of a song with a great uplifting ending.
Typical French really.....

Alles les verts (think that's the greens ? )

-------------
Draw me a compass I need a MAP

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:59am
Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Here here in your first point Keltica.

I've live in the UK now for nearly 15 years but born and raised in the smoke in Dublin.
I remember popping into a pub in 2003 to watch a game and being pleasantly surprised to see about 3 or 4 green jerseys.
Got chatting and was bemused at the strong 'landaan' accents on the lads.
The term 'plastic paddy' is insulting and I detest it.
I've met so many second generation Irish in London who lets not forget didn't have it easy in the 70's and 80's over here. An accent means nothing it's to be welcomed and embraced and I've met some passionate Irishmen and women with various accents.

As regards the Anthem it's a wonderful song but doesn't really lend itself too well to being sung at the top of the lungs. It's not really what it was designed for but sing it out and sing it loud as they say.

Putting a slight spin on it, for me the French anthem is head and shoulders above them all. Rousing belter of a song with a great uplifting ending.
Typical French really.....

Alles les verts (think that's the greens ? )
I hate the term too, that's why I put it in " ". Your example fits in with what I said about the majority being welcoming!

I also completely agree with you about the French anthem but unfortunately it is not the song which we will use to send our men into battle! I want those men to feel like it's a home game and you can't say this isn't impressive:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSH7GxQtLn4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSH7GxQtLn4

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:06am

Having lived in Laandan I sympathise eventhough I never experienced any anti-Irishness myself.

Sidenote, my brother-in-law who is a born and bred Manc (he supports City obviously) has been to about 7 or 8 Ireland away games over the years, wearing the green and nobody ever, ever said a bad word to him. Quite the opposite actually.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:17am
well said keltica Clap

personally the only people i've witnessed giving stick to our 2nd gen contingent are a few ignorant fools who crawl out of the woodwork for the tournaments. Seasoned irish fans will know that they are our most dedicated and committed fans. every game is after all an "away" game, at great expense. 

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:40am
I'm sure I have seen that clip before Keltica but christ that's powerful stuff.
If you noticed it was the Garda / army band and had a rolling bass drum through it.
That's how amhran an bhfiann works best. It's a marching song and that worked so well.

Great stuff

-------------

Posted By: SeanG4393
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:59am
This is so refreshing to read. 

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 

I'm a regular home and away traveler and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. 

Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. 

Posted By: Sheedy's Left Boot
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:08pm
Well said Sean! I agree with all the sentiments above. Its ignorance of the highest order to question a fellow Irishmans nationality based on his accent. The old quote, either correctly or incorrectly attributed to the 1st Duke of Wellington or by Daniel OConnell in relation to the Duke himself, rings through for me; being born in a stable does not make a man a horse!!

If your family linage, culture or heart is Irish, it doesnt matter a jot what accent you have. Im from Donegal and one of my good mates, that Ive travelled to Ireland games home and away with, is London born and bred. Father from Donegal and mother from Sligo. A more passionate Irishman you couldnt meet. In fact his gra for all things Irish would put to shame some of our countrymen.

Sean, if I heard someone questioning your right to support Ireland or indeed your Irishness, Id go through them for a short cut!

Have a great trip to France and I hope your first major tournament (its my second after Poland) lives up to be all you hope it will be.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm

Well lads,

What you have to realize pal is those who were abusing your mates were drunken louts who wouldn't be seen at a qualifier home or away from one year to the next!

I know it's not ideal, but if it happens in France just rise above it and move pub or area and don't bother entertaining it.

Unfortunately when major tournaments come around or even a big game in the Aviva (England friendly) you have t**sers from all over Ireland just looking to get pissed and upset people.

Hope you and the lads enjoy France Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:17pm
Dermot Gallagher is Irish. Was born in Ireland with an English accent. Dave O'Leary was born in London but has an Irish accent. Same with McGrath.  Accent means nothing. It's how you identify and your family origins.

If you're Irish you're Irish.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm a regular home and away </span>traveler<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. </span>

Are you with the West Midlands supporters club ?
If so I probably met you in Poznan.
Remember having a great song song with a few of you boys wearing west mids polo tops ?
Great bunch. Hope I bump into you in France.

Little side story as there's a chance you might even know the bloke in question.
Took my son to see Reading V Birmingham city first game of last season.
Scorching hot day if you recall and got into the ground only to realise I had about 80p in my wallet. Asked a steward of there was an ATM walking distance he politely informed me I would struggle to get back into the ground.

He noticed my accent and asked where I was from.
I bough it was a bit odd but he returned 5 minutes later with two bottles of water and a bag of haribo sweets for the wee man.
Proceeded to lift his hi vis and showed me a shamrock / brum City pin badge.
A touching gesture I didn't catch his name but will be forever grateful to him for doing that.

Bon chance mo chairde

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:59pm
I think moving abroad has certainly been a real eye opener for me in terms of understanding more about the born-abroad Irish. Know plenty of lads around Reading who were born there but are Irish through and through and have met many non-Irish born Irish fans on my away travels over the past few years. Talking with them and understanding their background and passion for their country is so interesting as many of us born at home would take for granted being Irish. Emigration was a big part of our history and this reflects it - Northmen, Southmen, Comrades all !

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:14pm
Great thread. Was born in England myself but both parents and my entire family are all Irish and while as a kid I would have regarded myself as English, once I moved over here and got to learn more about my roots and the history of this great nation I knew I was 100% green white and gold. This will also be my first major championships having been in Glasgow and Portugal for the qualifiers last year and all the home games. Was only doing my LC in 2012 so Poland was just out of my reach.

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:20pm
Kids born in UK, they have a choice of Citizenship and they choose Ireland and then Poland, always made clear I would never pay for a Passport with the Crown and somehow doubt they ever will either.

Lads first games he had a Womb without a view for Jamaica and Nigeria, done games in London on number of occasions, Liege, repeating word for word my views on Brussels traffic next morning won me no brownie points with bosslady, has been in Poland for 2012 and Warsaw game plus Aviva on number of occasions.................... will be in France.

People who choose Ireland when they can choose someone else are heroes.

People who abuse them because of an accent are just scumbags that we don't need.

Wife demanded to know the words of Irish anthem as after been at Croke Park wants to be able to sing it.

Happy to pay for someone's pint if they end up tipping it over someone who calls anybody a Plastic.........

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:26pm
Danny Dyer on his Irish roots:

"Of course I'm facking Oirish
Oi facking laaaaav the Eire" 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Sheedy's Left Boot Sheedy's Left Boot wrote:

Well said Sean! I agree with all the sentiments above. Its ignorance of the highest order to question a fellow Irishmans nationality based on his accent. The old quote, either correctly or incorrectly attributed to the 1st Duke of Wellington or by Daniel OConnell in relation to the Duke himself, rings through for me; being born in a stable does not make a man a horse!!

If your family linage, culture or heart is Irish, it doesnt matter a jot what accent you have. Im from Donegal and one of my good mates, that Ive travelled to Ireland games home and away with, is London born and bred. Father from Donegal and mother from Sligo. A more passionate Irishman you couldnt meet. In fact his gra for all things Irish would put to shame some of our countrymen.

Sean, if I heard someone questioning your right to support Ireland or indeed your Irishness, Id go through them for a short cut!

Have a great trip to France and I hope your first major tournament (its my second after Poland) lives up to be all you hope it will be.

I try to rise above it and laugh it off as much as possible but it can be difficult its just a factor that is involved sometimes. My close friends in Birmingham that are travelling to follow England are the most loyal of England supporters, I don't get a peep of badness out of them because they know the score. 

Same to you mate this new format could see a longer stay in the competition this time. 

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Danny Dyer on his Irish roots:

"Of course I'm facking Oirish
Oi facking laaaa<span style="line-height: 1.4;">av the Eire" </span>

You starting that lark again. I guess a bump is in order 😂😂

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal...

Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. 

ClapClapClap

Bravo Sean, fair play to ya, that's the kind of passion I'm talking about, I'm looking forward to belting out the National Anthem with you!

To be honest, and I should have mentioned this too, it's not just the people born / living in England; a lot of people from the North who support us get similar stick - about not being "real Irish" etc What rubbish!

Great to hear such support for it lads and a few personal stories coming out too. It's what makes YBIG so great, it's not just about lads supporting a football team; it's a tangible cultural connection to Ireland no matter where you are in the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:48pm

</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm a regular home and away </span>traveler<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. </span>

Remember having a great song song with a few of you boys wearing west mids polo tops ?

Little side story as there's a chance you might even know the bloke in question.
Scorching hot day if you recall and got into the ground only to realise I had about 80p in my wallet. Asked a steward of there was an ATM walking distance he politely informed me I would struggle to get back into the ground.

I bough it was a bit odd but he returned 5 minutes later with two bottles of water and a bag of haribo sweets for the wee man.
A touching gesture I didn't catch his name but will be forever grateful to him for doing that.

Bon chance mo chairde

I do know the lads in question but wasn't with them in Poland. Yep the Caravan is making the trip to France so will be a good number over there. 

I'm not 100% who it was, I was at that game myself we robbed the three points that day off you. I can find out who was though and pass on your thanks again. 

Below is my flag. I like Ireland flags having club badges on as well. I understand some people don't so I think it is just personal preference anyway. I wanted my flag to be very personal to myself and something I would have for many years. 

Guiden, is my surname 
Birmingham City, my club team 
The Fighting Irish, due to not only the element of fighting to follow Ireland but also Ireland generally being proud of what is ours. 
We're on the one road, one of my favorite Ireland songs and one that can be related to greatly. 

Had to leave the link below due to the image being too big to upload. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/-JodCZnzkO/?taken-by=seany4393" rel="nofollow - https://www.instagram.com/p/-JodCZnzkO/?taken-by=seany4393

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:49pm
Know plenty of 'plastics' as they are referred to, all every bit as Irish as the rest of us, often more so. Would love if we could swap the half a million who voted blueshirt for half a million of these lads!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:03pm

</span>
</span>

Bon chance mo chairde

I do know the lads in question but wasn't with them in Poland. Yep the Caravan is making the trip to France so will be a good number over there. 

I'm not 100% who it was, I was at that game myself we robbed the three points that day off you. I can find out who was though and pass on your thanks again. 

Below is my flag. I like Ireland flags having club badges on as well. I understand some people don't so I think it is just personal preference anyway. I wanted my flag to be very personal to myself and something I would have for many years. 

Guiden, is my surname 
Birmingham City, my club team 
The Fighting Irish, due to not only the element of fighting to follow Ireland but also Ireland generally being proud of what is ours. 
We're on the one road, one of my favorite Ireland songs and one that can be related to greatly. 

Had to leave the link below due to the image being too big to upload. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/-JodCZnzkO/?taken-by=seany4393" rel="nofollow - https://www.instagram.com/p/-JodCZnzkO/?taken-by=seany4393

Yeah you did pinch the three points glad u said it !

I wrote to Birmingham City pointing out where he was located asking he be recognised for it. Was a superb gesture.

Enjoy France Sean.
Hope to see you there

-------------

Posted By: SouthDerryMan
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:19pm
few of these stories gave me goosebumps..up the irish!!

we "nordies" can sometimes bare the brunt of this abuse as well 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:35pm
I often wonder if this type of abuse only happens to lads with English accents.
I doubt you'd be abused if you were of irish parentage who spoke with an Italian or German accent. On the contrary I'd say you'd be slapped on the back and welcomed.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:38pm
The old hayfever must be getting to me. Eyes were welling up reading some of the posts lol. Great to hear peoples stories, ignore the bellends, thankfully they are few and far between

Posted By: PT7
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:51pm
I'm a lot like a few of the lads that have already posted. Originally from England with Irish Grandparents and moved to this green isle in 1998 and still have a bit of an accent (more drink means more culchieSmile). I've never experienced any abuse at matches to be honest but I can understand why it would get annoying. Hopefully won't see any in France either, but if I do then my logic is to just laugh it off. As one poster has put it, accents mean nothing and I believe its whats in the heart and soul, and by God mine runs Green... 

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:02pm
I got a bit of this being a nordy at the euros last time, expect it again this time round too but like your man said a big tournaments brings all sorts of glue bags out of the woodwork. Hasn't happened since and who ever I've sat beside home or away has being 100%. Reckon personally the passion and pride James mc clean shows in the shirt has filtered through too some fans. Anyway don't sweat the small clueless element.

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 4:25pm
Quote Soldiers are we , whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come from a land beyond the wave.

It's at the start of the anthem ffs!!

Great thread lads

Born and bred in Ireland but have lived in both London and the US for a good few years before returning in 2005. Had many relatives return 'home' to us when I was young for their holidays. There was never a question as to their ethnicity.

I absolutely detest people born in the 26 counties who think anyone born elsewhere is not Irish or in some way less Irish. They really just don't get it. Irishness is an identity. Some of our country's best weren't born here ffs.

James Connolly, Bobby Sands and Kevin Kilbane. I'd like to see one of the anti-2g/6 county brigade tell me they aren't Irish.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Know plenty of 'plastics' as they are referred to, all every bit as Irish as the rest of us, often more so. Would love if we could swap the half a million who voted blueshirt for half a million of these lads!
So 'Blueshirts' aren't Irish, no ?

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

So 'Blueshirts' aren't Irish, no ?

Where did I say they weren't? Would just be great if we could swap them

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: N as in Knife
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 5:09pm
Great thread. Excellent topic. 
Cant believe this type of thing happens to people.. 
Even if some people are not Irish... they can still support our boys in green as far as i'm concerned.  

Posted By: Tyronebhoy
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Quote Soldiers are we , whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come from a land beyond the wave.

It's at the start of the anthem ffs!!

Great thread lads

Born and bred in Ireland but have lived in both London and the US for a good few years before returning in 2005. Had many relatives return 'home' to us when I was young for their holidays. There was never a question as to their ethnicity.

I absolutely detest people born in the 26 counties who think anyone born elsewhere is not Irish or in some way less Irish. They really just don't get it. Irishness is an identity. Some of our country's best weren't born here ffs.

James Connolly, Bobby Sands and Kevin Kilbane. I'd like to see one of the anti-2g/6 county brigade tell me they aren't Irish.

This Thumbs Up. To be fair, it's only a minority of arseholes. I remember being in Malta in 1999 for the game there and there were a group of shaven-headed guys with the broadest Essex accents you'd ever hear staying in our hotel. We got chatting and it turned these lads were also over for the game, and prouder Irishmen you'd never meet

-------------
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Posted By: Seanachie
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

I got a bit of this being a nordy at the euros last time, expect it again this time round too but like your man said a big tournaments brings all sorts of glue bags out of the woodwork. Hasn't happened since and who ever I've sat beside home or away has being 100%. Reckon personally the passion and pride James mc clean shows in the shirt has filtered through too some fans. Anyway don't sweat the small clueless element.

Yeah there's an idiotic minority 26-county element that see anyone from north of the border as 'foreign'. Annoy's the f**k out of me though I'd say many of them are johnny-come-latelies anyway.

As for actual foreign-born fans, I have friends and relatives from Canada, the US, Scotland and England who have Irish parents and who are all huge fans of TBIG. To be honest, I'd be inclined to welcome any foreign-born person willing to support us, regardless of whether they have Irish ancestry or not. It's a compliment that we should be willing to return.

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by SouthDerryMan SouthDerryMan wrote:

few of these stories gave me goosebumps..up the irish!!

we "nordies" can sometimes bare the brunt of this abuse as well 

"Why don't you support your own team?" 

Have had that said to me in the past.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Ask what Premier League team do they support LOL then tell em to F*** Off.

Know my lad was asked when we back in Uk after we went out of Euro2012, "Does this mean you will support England now because Ireland are out"................................... hard to stop grinning when he replied "No, Why would I support England, I'm Irish".

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Yeah there's an idiotic minority 26-county element that see anyone from north of the border as 'foreign'. Annoy's the f**k out of me though I'd say many of them are johnny-come-latelies anyway.

As for actual foreign-born fans, I have friends and relatives from Canada, the US, Scotland and England who have Irish parents and who are all huge fans of TBIG. To be honest, I'd be inclined to welcome any foreign-born person willing to support us, regardless of whether they have Irish ancestry or not. It's a compliment that we should be willing to return.

Unfortunately the Free State is full of partitionists and West Brits.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:19pm
There was an Irish chap on our campsite in Miasto outside Poznan in 2012 who was in the UK a life time and had 2 boys with him and only had 2 tickets . He said he would search for another ticket for the older chap the day of the game . He was about 14/15 and his father got him the ticket and told him to go on in and not to worry that he would meet him at the same spot he left him before K/O . This kid had a 100 % English accent and just as the national anthem was finishing I heard him scream out C'mon Ireland . He was a few rows over and down to the right and we let a roar over to him and he came up and stood with us for the whole game . Born and bred In the UK but as Irish as the rest of us . His father told us that night the wife would kill him if she found out that he left the boy out on his own but knew he would be ok .

Also my cousins emigrated to Oz 20 years ago from Cork and the kids have spent 80% of their lives there but them boys are passionate and are some men fot belting out the rebel songs and Irish ballads .

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I doubt you'd be abused if you were of irish parentage who spoke with an Italian or German accent. On the contrary I'd say you'd be slapped on the back and welcomed.

I was on the train heading out to the away game c Germany this campaign with a few of the 2G lads I travel with, mixture of Birmingham and London Irish. Old lad on the train in full Christmas tree get up starts giving some of the Brummies stick over their accents and being English. Our lads really biting their tongues trying not to rise to it, just telling him to get out of their faces. Turns out the old lad had lived in Germany for years and his 20 odd year old German born son was also on the train in full Christmas tree get up. Despite me pointing out that the lads being born in England was no different to his lad being born in Germany and following Ireland but he wasn't having any of it. Possibly the biggest half wit I've ever spoken to, utterly bizarre.

Been going away with 2G lads going back to Wales and Belgium in 97,some of the staunchest lads I know. Even our home games are away trips for them, huge respect.

Oh, and just going back to the anthem, the rendition before the Croatia game in Poznan was incredible, best thing that happened in the stadiums during that tournament seeing as the edge was taken off St Ledger's goal by that kunt with the whistle.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:13pm
If *anyone* tries a trick like that whistleblower f**ker in Poznan, and you're near him, f**king deck the f**ker, making sure you punch the whistle right down his c*nt throat, smashing a few teeth in the process. I'll represent you for free if you get in trouble with the law. That was absolutely unforgivable.

But seriously, that was entirely obnoxious.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:25pm
Hummmm never worries me really hey with my accent you have to laugh . 
Best just to walk away or in my case ask them when was their last away game they were at . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: mbyrne15
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:29pm
Great thread lads, loads of second generation lads in Leicester who class themselves as Irish without doubt. Met some great people on trips who love that people born outside of Ireland have such an affiliation to the country. only really saw one lad from Birmingham getting stick in Faro, apart from that no bother.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:54pm

Yeah some of our Ulster fans will atest to that alright! I remember being at a Dublin v Down match at Croke park and there was a "26er" sitting beside me giving abuse to the lads from Down telling them to go back to Britain and that they were "queen loving British b*astards"... I don't need to explain how stupid that is.

But for the older people I thought it was especially poor form as they would have spent their youth fighting to express any bit of Irishness they could; after decades they finally have the freedom to do so, to come down to their capital city and hear that crap must have been hard to swallow.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:37pm

Yeah some of our Ulster fans will atest to that alright! I remember being at a Dublin v Down match at Croke park and there was a "26er" sitting beside me giving abuse to the lads from Down telling them to go back to Britain and that they were "queen loving British b*astards"... I don't need to explain how stupid that is.

But for the older people I thought it was especially poor form as they would have spent their youth fighting to express any bit of Irishness they could; after decades they finally have the freedom to do so, to come down to their capital city and hear that crap must have been hard to swallow.

Sad but true Keltica.
I'm a big GAA man I won't lie. As a youngster I stood on hill 16 watching the dubs year I year out. I fact I didn't miss a single championship game between 1987 and 1999 when I vanished abroad to study. I have noticed and witnessed abuse of 'what's it like to have a queen' chants from the Hill which goes completely against the grain in my opinion.
You can put that down to 'banter' if you want but I hated it.
My nanny was from andystown and was effectively forced out of a part of her own country through bigotry and discrimination ! I'll be f****d if I'm ever going to join in and support that activity even if some clown thinks it's 'banter'
Northmen southmen comrades all

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I was on the train heading out to the away game c Germany this campaign with a few of the 2G lads I travel with, mixture of Birmingham and London Irish. Old lad on the train in full Christmas tree get up starts giving some of the Brummies stick over their accents and being English. Our lads really biting their tongues trying not to rise to it, just telling him to get out of their faces. Turns out the old lad had lived in Germany for years and his 20 odd year old German born son was also on the train in full Christmas tree get up. Despite me pointing out that the lads being born in England was no different to his lad being born in Germany and following Ireland but he wasn't having any of it. Possibly the biggest half wit I've ever spoken to, utterly bizarre.

Been going away with 2G lads going back to Wales and Belgium in 97,some of the staunchest lads I know. Even our home games are away trips for them, huge respect.

Oh, and just going back to the anthem, the rendition before the Croatia game in Poznan was incredible, best thing that happened in the stadiums during that tournament seeing as the edge was taken off St Ledger's goal by that kunt with the whistle.

Was great on the bus from Lodz to Warsaw last year - Brummie Bren telling stories of away trips and the young Irish born lads lapping it up. As it should be !

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 11:31pm
When we struck a blow for our freedom 100 years ago, there was a sizable number of Irish men who fought in the GPO and elsewhere that were born in London/Birmingham/Liverpool/Glasgow/Manchester...it's a criminally under reported fact....The make up of our national football squad (and it's fans!) Is an extension of this..LONG may it continue

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 11:31pm
Great thread gents, and hopefully ye 2G/3G lads & ladies will avoid the clueless ignoramuses that give ye stick about accents while yer in France supporting your team. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

When we struck a blow for our freedom 100 years ago, there was a sizable number of Irish men who fought in the GPO and elsewhere that were born in London/Birmingham/Liverpool/Glasgow/Manchester...it's a criminally under reported fact....
And also the sizeable number of Protestants who struck a blow for our freedom that is also a criminally under reported fact !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

When we struck a blow for our freedom 100 years ago, there was a sizable number of Irish men who fought in the GPO and elsewhere that were born in London/Birmingham/Liverpool/Glasgow/Manchester...it's a criminally under reported fact....
And also the sizeable number of Protestants who struck a blow for our freedom that is also a criminally under reported fact !!!

I wouldn't say it's under-reported. The roles Bulmer Hobson, Sam Maguire, Countess Markievicz, Robert Barton, Erskine Childers, Roger Casement and others played in the struggle for independence are well known to anyone who knows their history. It's true though that among the general public the Protestant aspect to Republicanism isn't always acknowledged (likewise with 1798).

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:20am
The fact that history was rewritten with a catholic partitionist hue saw to that. Alas it isn't just that aspect that they aren't aware of.

The amount of people who think that we won our freedom in 1916 is unreal.

No mention of tan or civil war or partition or the boundary commission.

I've come across a lot of people in the 26 counties who refer to ALL people in the north as 'huns'.

Ps - Markievicz and Casement were Catholic

-------------

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Ask what Premier League team do they support LOL then tell em to F*** Off.

Know my lad was asked when we back in Uk after we went out of Euro2012, "Does this mean you will support England now because Ireland are out"................................... hard to stop grinning when he replied "No, Why would I support England, I'm Irish".

A bit like the muppet outside Croker protesting when England played us in the rugby.

Had a sign "NO FOREIGN SPORTS" or something like that, and him wearing a Glasgow Celtic shirt

Any half brain supporter will know the London Supporters Club is the biggest and probably the best supporters club we have.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: Only2Keaneos
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:40am
This is a great thread, nice work.

For the last Euros I only had a ticket to the Italy game so was joining the party late (and at a meaningless stage). Myself and a mate had a connecting flight from Luton on route to Poznan. The flight in to Luton meant we had to stay overnight before the Poznan flight the next morning. The only problem was it was the night of the Spain match.

We organised that the flight to Luton would have to arrive in good time so we could source out a good watering hole for the match later in the evening. Being in England we thought there wouldn't be too many places with an atmosphere for the game but we will be happy enough with a sports bar of some sort. Within minutes of dropping our bags we had walked into a street with Irish bunting and flags all over the streets. There were two or three Irish bars in this little enclave and we couldn't believe our luck. It was a good couple of hours before the game so we had plans to get in somewhere settle in and have a bite to eat before the game. Upon walking in to one of these bars we soon found out there was no chance of a quiet pint and a feed, the place was rammed! By the time of the game the atmosphere was great and everyone stood for the national anthem and sang with pride. Not an Irish accent to be heard! These people were passionate for THEIR country and place of birth or regional accents doesn't come into it. I thought it was fantastic to see and was glad we stumbled upon this area to make me aware of the passion that exists outside our island.

On a side note, at the Italy match we were sat beside an Italian family with the broadest cockney accents, I wonder if these guys have ever had any bother with the Italian born Italy fans.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:42am

The fact that history was rewritten with a catholic partitionist hue saw to that. Alas it isn't just that aspect that they aren't aware of.

I've come across a lot of people in the 26 counties who refer to ALL people in the north as 'huns'.

They were but both from Church of Ireland families. Markievicz converted and Casement's Anglican mother had him secretly baptised Catholic as a child. Cathal Brugha was also from a mixed CofI/Catholic family though educated by the Jesuits.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:43am

Bloody converts.

Yeah, the Huns. I didnt know the Germans invaded the North !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:47am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

A bit like the muppet outside Croker protesting when England played us in the rugby.
Had a sign "NO FOREIGN SPORTS" or something like that, and him wearing a Glasgow Celtic shirt

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Only2Keaneos Only2Keaneos wrote:

For the last Euros I only had a ticket to the Italy game so was joining the party late (and at a meaningless stage). Myself and a mate had a connecting flight from Luton on route to Poznan. The flight in to Luton meant we had to stay overnight before the Poznan flight the next morning. The only problem was it was the night of the Spain match.

We organised that the flight to Luton would have to arrive in good time so we could source out a good watering hole for the match later in the evening. Being in England we thought there wouldn't be too many places with an atmosphere for the game but we will be happy enough with a sports bar of some sort. Within minutes of dropping our bags we had walked into a street with Irish bunting and flags all over the streets. There were two or three Irish bars in this little enclave and we couldn't believe our luck. It was a good couple of hours before the game so we had plans to get in somewhere settle in and have a bite to eat before the game. Upon walking in to one of these bars we soon found out there was no chance of a quiet pint and a feed, the place was rammed! By the time of the game the atmosphere was great and everyone stood for the national anthem and sang with pride. Not an Irish accent to be heard! These people were passionate for THEIR country and place of birth or regional accents doesn't come into it. I thought it was fantastic to see and was glad we stumbled upon this area to make me aware of the passion that exists outside our island.

On a side note, at the Italy match we were sat beside an Italian family with the broadest cockney accents, I wonder if these guys have ever had any bother with the Italian born Italy fans.

Luton has a very big Irish community. I remember reading a piece in The Guardian by Sean Ingle (from Luton with Irish parents) about it once.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:58am
My uncles and aunts on both sides live or lived in the Luton-Hemel Hemsptead-Flitwick area since the 50's.

-------------

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:24am
Never had any issues over the years.

Anyone giving stick to a fellow Ireland fan in regards to their accent or heritage hasn't a clue about our history. The fact we have one of the largest diaspora across the globe is of course due to our economic hardships and the will and character to try and find a better life elsewhere.

There should be pride in the fact that those generations that moved abroad instilled a great sense of national pride in their children.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Only2Keaneos
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:17pm

Originally posted by Only2Keaneos Only2Keaneos wrote:

Luton has a very big Irish community. I remember reading a piece in The Guardian by Sean Ingle (from Luton with Irish parents) about it once.

I found this out when I got home and my dad, who spent a number of years working in London told me all about the Irish in Luton. I was a bit embarrassed by my ignorance of it.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 1:43pm
Ask Tommy Robinson about the Luton Irish! Have Irish friends from Luton. Luton also had, not sure if this is still the case, the largest Celtic supporters club and from my hazy memory of it, most of them had an Irish passport.

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm

That's why I carefully chose my words by saying 'struck a blow'

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:07pm
Great to see that the Diaspora are so passionate about their team and heritage. some of our native fans could do with a lesson in it.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:49pm
http://blog.paddypower.com/football/euro-2016/mick-mccarthy-euros-2016/2016/06/03/mick-mccarthy-exclusive-the-irishness-felt-by-irish-internationals-born-abroad-shouldnt-be-questioned/?AFF_ID=16562&dclid=CN3DmLfqjM0CFaKv7QodfqAF-w" rel="nofollow - http://blog.paddypower.com/football/euro-2016/mick-mccarthy-euros-2016/2016/06/03/mick-mccarthy-exclusive-the-irishness-felt-by-irish-internationals-born-abroad-shouldnt-be-questioned/?AFF_ID=16562&dclid=CN3DmLfqjM0CFaKv7QodfqAF-w

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Great to see that the Diaspora are so passionate about their team and heritage. some of our native fans could do with a lesson in it.
I hate bringing it up, but I hate that, especially since the celtic tiger, we are too good to care about Celtic in Ireland, when you live in Britain they are the team of the diaspora.

Anyway, Mick McCarthy was my first footballing hero as a kid and still love his mixture of Irish and Yorkshire frankness. Super MickClap

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:04am

I hate bringing it up, but I hate that, especially since the celtic tiger, we are too good to care about Celtic in Ireland, when you live in Britain they are the team of the diaspora.

Anyway, Mick McCarthy was my first footballing hero as a kid and still love his mixture of Irish and Yorkshire frankness. Super MickClap

How in god's name did the Celtic Tiger affect anyone in Ireland supporting or not supporting Celtic?

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:17am

But that's like saying that just because I'm Irish I should like GAA. Apart from the atmosphere on champions league nights/old firm games, I would have no interest in Celtic, similar to the way I've no interest in the Dublin team, despite being be from there. If supporting a Scottish team was based on the diaspora, why don't more people support hibs.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:30am
And what about all the people of Irish heritage from places like Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Manchester, etc who support teams from those areas and have no interest in Celtic? Bizarre statement Confused

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:23am
Not saying that at al, just the added hate towards Celtic is bizarre when you think of the diaspora, that is all. 

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:57am

Why would Sweden be scared at hearing an anthem in a language none of them understand? It's just another national anthem to them.

On the general debate, I don't have an issue with our 2G/foreign-based fans. The team used to be full of such players. But despite Ireland becoming a multinational, multicultural nation in recent years, socially the people are very cliquely, and don't welcome outsiders easily. You'll rarely see any foreigners in people's social circle, as they don't understand "craic" and so are not welcome on nights out. Footballwise, we went to the Euros in 2012, as our best prepared side to date but, unlike Mick or Jack at other tournaments, Trap didn't understand our need for "craic". The lack of it was later cited as an explanation for the players performance on the pitch.

In sport, you see it harnessed in GAA, where the whole point of it is to promote Irish culture, where the first language is Irish, and even if they wanted to get involved at some level, there is really no room or time for anyone who is not Irish.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:00pm

Not saying that at al, just the added hate towards Celtic is bizarre when you think of the diaspora, that is all. 

That makes more sense

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Why would Sweden be scared at hearing an anthem in a language none of them understand? It's just another national anthem to them.

On the general debate, I don't have an issue with our 2G/foreign-based fans. The team used to be full of such players. But despite Ireland becoming a multinational, multicultural nation in recent years, socially the people are very cliquely, and don't welcome outsiders easily. You'll rarely see any foreigners in people's social circle, as they don't understand "craic" and so are not welcome on nights out. Footballwise, we went to the Euros in 2012, as our best prepared side to date but, unlike Mick or Jack at other tournaments, Trap didn't understand our need for "craic". The lack of it was later cited as an explanation for the players performance on the pitch.

In sport, you see it harnessed in GAA, where the whole point of it is to promote Irish culture, where the first language is Irish, and even if they wanted to get involved at some level, there is really no room or time for anyone who is not Irish.

That is absolute horsesh*t of the highest order. Everyone and anyone is welcome to get involved in the GAA. The Mayo Under 21 team who won the All Ireland recently have a lad playing for them who's parents are from Pakistan and who was actually born over there himself. He is as much a Mayo man and an Irishman as I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GAA wanting to promote Irish culture, why the hell shouldn't they, but to say there is no room or time for anyone who is not Irish is just a bare faced lie and if you have any integrity is something you should retract.

In regards to your first paragraph, it is hardly suprising that in a lot of cases people are friends with people who are similar to them and have similar interests. That is the case the world over, not just Ireland.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:08pm

Really ?

Funnily enough in GAA in London I see people playing who by colour alone would bar them from playing GAA and no Irish Roots yet still play it.

I figure in circa 10 years or less we will have a couple of Intercounty players of Polish or other origin and will openly welcome it but the knuckle draggers will always be there claiming they not Irish.

What makes a person Irish ? Is the GAA to decide ?

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm

Really ?

Funnily enough in GAA in London I see people playing who by colour alone would bar them from playing GAA and no Irish Roots yet still play it.

I figure in circa 10 years or less we will have a couple of Intercounty players of Polish or other origin and will openly welcome it but the knuckle draggers will always be there claiming they not Irish.

You're not Irish unless you dance at the crossroads with pasty white ladies / eat spuds morning noon and night and go to mass 27 times a day OD surely you know that ?

I played a bit of GAA in London and there's some cracking second generation London lads taking up the game.
More power to them.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm

Really ?

There was a good programme on Setanta sometime last year I think about a school somewhere in London. One of the teachers was Irish and another lad born in London with Irish parents and they got a GAA team up and running. The players were from Afro-Carribean, Asian, Eastern European and other backgrounds, no connection to Ireland at all, but they seemed to love it. They went over to play a Feile in Ireland and did pretty well and the kids were all put up in local people's homes.

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Everyone and anyone is welcome to get involved in the GAA. The Mayo Under 21 team who won the All Ireland recently have a lad playing for them who's parents are from Pakistan and who was actually born over there himself. He is as much a Mayo man and an Irishman as I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GAA wanting to promote Irish culture, why the hell shouldn't they, but to say there is no room or time for anyone who is not Irish is just a bare faced lie and if you have any integrity is something you should retract.

I won't retract it until the day I see a selector, a manager sorry, "Bainisteoir", a senior player, a panellist, a pundit, or a fan (interviewed) at a game that isn't a 100% white Irish person. I have yet to see that.

The sport was originally designed to give the fingers to "foreign sports" to the extent that it had it in it's rules. The rule may be gone but the ethos remains. The very first thing that happens when the players take to the field, is to roll out the national anthem before a ball is thrown in, demonstrating very clearly that this is a sport for those whose highest ambition is to win at Croke Park, rather than Eden Park or Melbourne Park or Parc Des Princes, and which gives priority to a language no foreign national will understand. So to say it welcomes everyone regardless of background, is wrong.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:30am

Everyone and anyone is welcome to get involved in the GAA. The Mayo Under 21 team who won the All Ireland recently have a lad playing for them who's parents are from Pakistan and who was actually born over there himself. He is as much a Mayo man and an Irishman as I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GAA wanting to promote Irish culture, why the hell shouldn't they, but to say there is no room or time for anyone who is not Irish is just a bare faced lie and if you have any integrity is something you should retract.

I won't retract it until the day I see a selector, a manager sorry, "Bainisteoir", a senior player, a panellist, a pundit, or a fan (interviewed) at a game that isn't a 100% white Irish person. I have yet to see that.

The sport was originally designed to give the fingers to "foreign sports" to the extent that it had it in it's rules. The rule may be gone but the ethos remains. The very first thing that happens when the players take to the field, is to roll out the national anthem before a ball is thrown in, demonstrating very clearly that this is a sport for those whose highest ambition is to win at Croke Park, rather than Eden Park or Melbourne Park or Parc Des Princes, and which gives priority to a language no foreign national will understand. So to say it welcomes everyone regardless of background, is wrong.

Would suggest you do some research on the London team that played against Mayo last week

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:39am

I've an issue with this, the GAA was created to promote the Irish Culture through sport, music, language. 
The FA Cup? The English anthem is played before that. 

Everyone one is welcome in the GAA, look at the clubs in the USA who have American born players representing them, clubs worldwide. We should be extremely proud of the GAA, there is no other amateur organisation like it. 

Do you speak Irish? 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: shoggy
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:42am

Have a look at the Armagh team from last week v's Cavan.  Jemar Hall started on the bench and came on with about 10 minutes to go, both parents black Americans.

-------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:50am
Interesting topic and one I can relate to very well
Glasgow born, early schooling in Scotland parents from Ireland broad accent, 80s Glasgow took a lot of abuse from the huns, verbal physical and the house was targeted, fenian b this and that, my mother took me out of school and back to her home county where I done most of my secondary education, group cert inter and leaving, during this time was euro 88, despite playing gaa in my new country I always loved soccer and my dad took me to celtic park from 79-86 but would never let me near a Scotland game, I never asked why but in later years he told me. So following Ireland from 88 and attending regularly from the 2000s up until the last few years where I rarely miss a competitive match, never had any hassle or plastic nonsense and hope it stays that way as I love nothing more than the away trips and good craic

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:16pm

Pathetic, utterly, utterly pathetic.

The thrust of your argument is that people from ethnicities other than "white Irish" feel unwelcome or uncomfortable with playing GAA because the ethos of the GAA is to promote the Irish language and Irish culture, because the National Anthem is played, because it overtly describes itself as an Irish organistation. What in god's name is wrong with any of those things? If people living in Ireland feel they can't join an Irish organisation on the basis that that Irish organistation has trappings of Irish culture then it is very strange that they have decided to live in Ireland in the first place if all things Irish make them so uncomfortable. Every single person who wishes to play Gaelic Games is fully welcome to do so, regardless of their race, ethnic origin or anything else. If there is people who would like to play Gaelic Games but don't because they don't like the trappings of Irishness that surrounds the GAA, well then that says a lot more about their prejudices than it does about the GAA. Fortunately I would imagine there is very, very few people from a foreign background who would think like this.

Perhaps the FAI should get rid of the National Anthem before international games, it is sung in a language which no foreign national will understand, and fans should stop bringing tricolours to games and wearing green, lest such overt displays of Irishness offend or make some uncomfortable with attending an international game of football at Lansdowne Road.

As I say, pathetic.

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by shoggy shoggy wrote:

Have a look at the Armagh team from last week v's Cavan.  Jemar Hall started on the bench and came on with about 10 minutes to go, both parents black Americans.

Yep, more black players on the Armagh GAA team than Prods....

Fact is, both you and 'Planning' are missing the Elephant in the Room, which is that there are nearly a million Irish people on the island to whom the GAA has signally failed to reach out in nearly a century and a half of existence.

Not that it bothers me, for as I always say, we (NI) football fans will always hope to attract a Pat Jennings or a Michael O'Neill, but GAA will never attract a George Best or a David Healy.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:27pm
The GAA is a 32 county Irish Nationalist organisation, something which unionists, rather than prods, would be hostile to. I think it is perfectly legitimate for the GAA to have this outlook but of course that is going to mean that unionists will want nothing to do with it. The only way unionists would countenance playing Gaelic Games is if all trappings Irish nationalism were dropped, perhaps even the word Gaelic removed. That is not going to happen. Despite that the GAA had a cross community hurling event on the Shankill Road a few years back with the GAA President in attendance. Anybody from a unionist background who wishes to join the GAA is more than welcome, they just don't want to.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:00pm

The GAA is a 32 county Irish Nationalist organisation, something which unionists, rather than prods, would be hostile to. I think it is perfectly legitimate for the GAA to have this outlook but of course that is going to mean that unionists will want nothing to do with it. The only way unionists would countenance playing Gaelic Games is if all trappings Irish nationalism were dropped, perhaps even the word Gaelic removed. That is not going to happen.
If NI Nationalists can play football, with the flag and the anthem etc, then there's no reason why NI Unionists couldn't be persuaded to take up GAA, as we see eg in Rugby and other sports which fly the Tricolour and play the Soldiers Song.

Despite that the GAA had a cross community hurling event on the Shankill Road a few years back with the GAA President in attendance. Anybody from a unionist background who wishes to join the GAA is more than welcome, they just don't want to.
Ah right, so it's all our fault.

OK so.

Meanwhile, the GAA can just concentrate on reaching out to Poles, Africans, Americans and all the other recent immigrant groups in Ireland, without having to waste time on people from the second biggest tradition/community on the island, who've only been around for centuries.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The GAA is a 32 county Irish Nationalist organisation, something which unionists, rather than prods, would be hostile to. I think it is perfectly legitimate for the GAA to have this outlook but of course that is going to mean that unionists will want nothing to do with it. The only way unionists would countenance playing Gaelic Games is if all trappings Irish nationalism were dropped, perhaps even the word Gaelic removed. That is not going to happen.
If NI Nationalists can play football, with the flag and the anthem etc, then there's no good reason why NI Unionists couldn't be persuaded to take up GAA, as we see eg in Rugby and other sports which fly the Tricolour and play the Soldiers Song.

Despite that the GAA had a cross community hurling event on the Shankill Road a few years back with the GAA President in attendance. Anybody from a unionist background who wishes to join the GAA is more than welcome, they just don't want to.

OK so.

Meanwhile, the GAA can just concentrate on reaching out to Poles, Africans, Americans and all the other recent immigrant groups in Ireland, without having to waste time on people from the second biggest tradition/community on the island, who've only been around for centuries.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:06pm

If NI Nationalists can play football, with the flag and the anthem etc, then there's no reason why NI Unionists couldn't be persuaded to take up GAA, as we see eg in Rugby and other sports which fly the Tricolour and play the Soldiers Song.

OK so.

why waste time on a shrinking demographic?

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:08pm

OK so.

I actually like a lot of your contributions on YBIG Territorial but don't be putting words in my mouth. I didn't say it was your fault, not at all. The GAA is politically directly opposed to unionism and the whole ethos is one Irish nationalism and the promotion of Gaelic Irish culture. That is just the reality of the situation and of course most from a unionist background wouldn't want to get involved because of that. Out of curiosity, what type of thing would encourage you to get involved with the GAA?

Edit: In general I don't think the GAA actually tries to "reach out" to anybody. It is sort of a case that we will take whoever shows up, and go from there, confident in the knowledge that they will still get quite a large number of people taking part and is definitely an area they can improve on in general aswell as marketing their games much better.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:10pm

OK so.

I actually like a lot of your contributions on YBIG Territorial but don't be putting words in my mouth. I didn't say it was your fault, not at all. The GAA is politically directly opposed to unionism and the whole ethos is one Irish nationalism and the promotion of Gaelic Irish culture. That is just the reality of the situation and of course most from a unionist background wouldn't want to get involved because of that. Out of curiosity, what type of thing would encourage you to get involved with the GAA?

more flegs. union flegs, corner flegs, whatever

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:17pm

The GAA is a 32 county Irish Nationalist organisation, something which unionists, rather than prods, would be hostile to. I think it is perfectly legitimate for the GAA to have this outlook but of course that is going to mean that unionists will want nothing to do with it. The only way unionists would countenance playing Gaelic Games is if all trappings Irish nationalism were dropped, perhaps even the word Gaelic removed. That is not going to happen. Despite that the GAA had a cross community hurling event on the Shankill Road a few years back with the GAA President in attendance. Anybody from a unionist background who wishes to join the GAA is more than welcome, they just don't want to.

As you'd expect with the bould Terry's posts, it's the usual agenda pushing one eyed nonsense thrown out looking for a bite. Some leading lights in the GAA history were Protestants, Sam Maguire and Douglas Hyde for example. Jack Boothman, a former president of the GAA passed away only this year. There are players playing in this day and age as well with the Wylie brothers in Monaghan the highest profile at the moment.

That's not to say that I'm holding the GAA up as a barometer of tolerance. Douglas Hyde had to step down as a patron of the organisation due to having the temerity to attend an Ireland football international but as you point out, this was down to a, however misguided, cultural outlook rather than a religious one. The GAA at it's foundation was about promoting nationalism ahead of unionism and many Irish nationalists throughout history were Protestant. The lines between the nationalist / unionist divide did become blurred with the religious divide post partition but that cuts both ways. The fact remains that the protestant unionist population, particularly in the north wanted nothing to do with a 32 organisation that had an ethos founded on the promotion of 'Irishness' and Irish culture particularly when they were putting significant effort into proving just how British they considered themselves.

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:24pm
Drumcondra Clap

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:40pm
Gaa and unionism. Some interesting posts but stay on topic much?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:50pm
Fair point.

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:59pm

Got this myself in Poland, was asked what I was doing in Poland as the North hadnt qualified

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:00pm
Sometimes topics meander just like conversations, it's not like it veered wildly. But I'm happy to leave it there.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Got this myself in Poland, was asked what I was doing in Poland as the North hadnt qualified

Always get a few f**kwits with a huge number travelling. Remember hearing about someone getting a thump in Cardiff back in 97 after the game when a discussion got heated, it's incredibly rare though, 99.9% of traveling fans pay no heed to accents.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 4:00pm
Frankly, I don't think anyone has ever seriously pulled me on my northern accent. Of the other two lads I travel with, one is from Derry and the other has a London accent. I've never been bothered about my accent (although having lived in Dublin for 12 years, it has tempered a bit) nor, to the best of my knowledge, have either of the other lads.

If anything has been said, it's been nothing serious, and it's in the realm of good natured banter, nothing more than that, and we're all well able to reply.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Frankly, I don't think anyone has ever seriously pulled me on my northern accent. Of the other two lads I travel with, one is from Derry and the other has a London accent. I've never been bothered about my accent (although having lived in Dublin for 12 years, it has tempered a bit) nor, to the best of my knowledge, have either of the other lads.

If anything has been said, it's been nothing serious, and it's in the realm of good natured banter, nothing more than that, and we're all well able to reply.

What SD ?
You're a 'nordie' ?

I imagined you as a muscular Dubliner with hair like Hercules and and multiple masters degrees after you demonstration of knowledge and sense over the past few months.

I'm disappointed

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 8:03pm
Scrawny, baldy, nordy without a single masters.

Sorry to disappoint.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 8:24pm
In WC02 on the train to Niigata I chatted with 3 Derry guys who had been in 88/90 and 94, really summed it up that "Its not jut about winning, we want team to get out there and gives us a few opportunities to roar and scream our heads off, make like they care as much about it as we who have spent thousands getting here". He was reporting back to Foyle radio on what WC02.

Must admit never saw them as anything but IRISH, in Basle year or so later met up with couple of Belfast guys who I had also met in Japan.

Never realised I had to call them Nordies and ask what they were doing there.....................Then again I guess I just saw Fellow Irishmen, doing what I was doing in supporting our National Team...... SIMPLES.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Scrawny, baldy, nordy without a single masters.

Sorry to disappoint.

Now that was a let down for us all Wink

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 8:29pm

In WC02 on the train to Niigata I chatted with 3 Derry guys who had been in 88/90 and 94, really summed it up that "Its not jut about winning, we want team to get out there and gives us a few opportunities to roar and scream our heads off, make like they care as much about it as we who have spent thousands getting here". He was reporting back to Foyle radio on what WC02.

Must admit never saw them as anything but IRISH, in Basle year or so later met up with couple of Belfast guys who I had also met in Japan.

Never realised I had to call them Nordies and ask what they were doing there.....................Then again I guess I just saw Fellow Irishmen, doing what I was doing in supporting our National Team...... SIMPLES.

Of course you did. The fact that there is even a debate for some people is outrageous 

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:50am

Think this lad has been interviewed once or twice. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:40am
I started playing Gaelic in year 5 at school (age 7) in Birmingham when the head teacher 2G Irish introduced it into the P.E curriculum and trainers came in from John Mitchell's GAA Birmingham the aim was to potentially take a school team to a schools competition in Birmingham at Pairc Na hEireann they did this and it is one of my best memories of primary school. I then got asked to play for John Mitchell's and did so until I was 17 going from Under 8 to Under 18. There were plenty of GAA teams across the Midland in fact on team James Connolly's only had 3 white players one year the rest of the players from Afro-Caribbean heritage they were incredible and won the league. I follow Dublin and fly over to games unfortunately I've never been interviewed but its a good bot of fun letting a roar out on the hill with a brummie accent. My friends in Dublin were shocked last year on All Ireland final day as to how many people I bumped into in different pubs around Dublin and Croker that I knew from Birmingham. None of us interviewed sadly :(   

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net