You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PL Season 20/21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:33pm
Next they'll want their home games away in other countries like they asked for before.
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:59pm
There is talks to expand the champions league Dead

I’m all for 3 European competitions but reduce the number of participants in each competition. 

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

There is talks to expand the champions league Dead

My default setting is always to suspect the motives of anyone proposing such a move.

That said, if it is UEFA who are talking about this, then on balance, it might not be so bad if it heads off a breakaway European Super League, esp one which is a closed shop i.e. no promotion and relegation.

And if there is always the danger of "bloating" i.e. too many meaningless games, at the same time it should also mean a few new teams getting a chance, rather than the same few teams from the same few leagues always qualifying.

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’m all for 3 European competitions but reduce the number of participants in each competition. 
"Reduce"?

See my last comment, above.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

More c**tishness from Liverpool, and their former CEO, Parry. As if the furlough scandal wasn't enough negative publicity. Disgusting.

I've already mainly lost interest in the English topflight as it is. The whole idea of a breakaway elite project - which is what the EPL is - is bad enough. I just won't watch at all if this happens.
Parry has nothing to do with Liverpool and hasn't done so for a long time so not quite sure what point you are trying to make here.

On the proposal itself, it is quite complex to understand fully what ramifications it will have due to the knock on impact on the vast number of stakeholders there are in the game in the UK. But on the face of it, this does smack of a power grab and as a Liverpool fan I am not happy with that. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

More c**tishness from Liverpool, and their former CEO, Parry. As if the furlough scandal wasn't enough negative publicity. Disgusting.

I've already mainly lost interest in the English topflight as it is. The whole idea of a breakaway elite project - which is what the EPL is - is bad enough. I just won't watch at all if this happens.
Parry has nothing to do with Liverpool and hasn't done so for a long time so not quite sure what point you are trying to make here.

Rick Parry is a Liverpool fan and a former CEO of the club.

He is someone who is commending proposals which could have severely damaging consequences for the organisation (EFL) which he currently chairs and he appears to have done so without consulting his members. And even without this proposal, the EFL is currently fighting for its life.

Meanwhile, the Premier League itself (i.e. Executive) has actually come out against it.

So that if this Liverpool/Man U proposal should ever take hold, it will also have severe consequences for the Premier League, including a clear out of the PL officials who opposed it.

Meaning they would need a new CEO too.

Rick Parry, 65, is a former CEO of the Premier League, though that is doubtless entirely coincidental...
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:36pm
Ian Holloway had a great rant about the big teams trying to take over. The B teams will kill the football league. 

Edited by Jackal - 13 Oct 2020 at 11:37pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:33am

On the proposal itself, it is quite complex to understand fully what ramifications it will have due to the knock on impact on the vast number of stakeholders there are in the game in the UK. But on the face of it, this does smack of a power grab and as a Liverpool fan I am not happy with that. 

Parry was working on the proposals for this venture on behalf of United and Liverpool for 2 years before he took up the EFL role. It's a blatant power grab by the big clubs, especially with how they want the voting rights structured in their favour.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Parry was working on the proposals for this venture on behalf of United and Liverpool for 2 years before he took up the EFL role. It's a blatant power grab by the big clubs, especially with how they want the voting rights structured in their favour.

Where did you see that?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:38am
Luke Edwards (English journalist) was on OTB 2 days ago and mentioned it.

The financial plight every club faces has made it the perfect time for Parry to brings the proposals forward. But he's not doing it out of concern for the EFL, and I'd assume he has a lot to gain financially if it ever came to pass.

It's certainly not to benefit to smaller clubs in the EFL.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:40am

Luke Edwards (English journalist) was on OTB 2 days ago and mentioned it.

The financial plight every club faces has made it the perfect time for Parry to brings the proposals forward. But he's not doing it out of concern for the EFL, and I'd assume he has a lot to gain financially if it ever came to pass.

It's certainly not to benefit to smaller clubs in the EFL.
Parry isn't bringing these proposals forward though. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:19am
He is.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:22am

He is.
No, these proposals are coming from a small group of the top PL clubs with Liverpool and Manchester United being the main forces behind it based on what is being reported. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:27am
He was working on the plans for 2 years for Liverpool and United prior to taking up the role of EFL chairman, and he unveiled the plans for it on Sunday. He hosted a zoom press conference for journalists on Sunday about it before the England Belgium game.

I fail to see how he's not involved.

Edited by The Huntacha - 14 Oct 2020 at 10:27am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:33am

He was working on the plans for 2 years for Liverpool and United prior to taking up the role of EFL chairman, and he unveiled the plans for it on Sunday. He hosted a zoom press conference for journalists on Sunday about it before the England Belgium game.

Again, this is not true.

"He was working on the plans for 2 years for Liverpool and United" - I've searched for this info and can't find it reported anywhere. 

"he unveiled the plans for it on Sunday" - Not true. It was leaked by the Telegraph.

He may well has hosted a zoom meeting about it - He has definitely come out in favour of it. But he doesn't have a mandate to accept this on behalf of all EFL clubs and this is clear.

So, I'm not sure how you can say he is the one bringing these proposals forward. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:56am
Does it matter? Two American owned franchises are trying to bribe their way into completely destroying what is left of the wonderful traditions of English football; surely that's what is important!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:59am

Again, this is not true.

"He was working on the plans for 2 years for Liverpool and United" - I've searched for this info and can't find it reported anywhere. 

"he unveiled the plans for it on Sunday" - Not true. It was leaked by the Telegraph.

He may well has hosted a zoom meeting about it - He has definitely come out in favour of it. But he doesn't have a mandate to accept this on behalf of all EFL clubs and this is clear.

So, I'm not sure how you can say he is the one bringing these proposals forward. 

What I've posted has come from sports journalists who have spoken about it during the week.

We'll agree to disagree.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Does it matter? Two American owned franchises are trying to bribe their way into completely destroying what is left of the wonderful traditions of English football; surely that's what is important!

Let's get a few things straight. 
I think it matters that it is clear who is doing this - Rick Parry is not, Liverpool and Man United are. As a fan, I want in particular Liverpool's owners to be called out on this. 
Liverpool is not a franchise - That's just a comment fishing for a bite which is irrelevant to this conversation. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:12am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Let's get a few things straight. 
I think it matters that it is clear who is doing this - Rick Parry is not, Liverpool and Man United are. As a fan, I want in particular Liverpool's owners to be called out on this. 
Liverpool is not a franchise - That's just a comment fishing for a bite which is irrelevant to this conversation. 
Yes, but how involved Parry is seems pretty irrelevant.
It isn't 'fishing for a bite', I had to refer to them and neither are clubs in any sense of the word and I think it is ridiculous that anybody could think that any of the top EPL teams are anything but franchises; it is blind, stubborn loyalty to think otherwise, but it isn't relevant here. I will call them organisations if it makes you feel better@
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic