URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57513
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PL Season 20/21
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: PL Season 20/21
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 10:26pm
Only 5 weeks until the start of the new season Clap

Fulham vs Brentford is taking place on Tuesday to see who gets promoted, should be a cracking game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Leeds do under Bielsa in the Premiership, I also think if Ancelotti gets backed well in the transfer market that Everton can have a very good season.

Bit early for predictions and the likes especially with very few transfers sorted/made already but I can see the top 2 Liverpool and City going at again but the title race will be much tighter imo.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Replies:
Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 12:09am
Leeds will make top 4

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Leeds will make top 4
Sid how many times do i have to say " stop drinking toilet cleaner at home " .
So hope Leeds go back down Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
The last two times Leeds were promoted to the top division, in their first seasons back they i) finished second on goal difference and ii) finished 4th, and then won the league the following season

They have a top tier coach respected worldwide and are a massive club

Elland Road will be a fortress next season in front of the fanatical virtual supporters

Newly promoted Sheffield United were not that far off contending for a Champions League place this year

Below the top two, there are a lot of poor teams with poor coaches, only Arsenal look like they might step up, Wolves may have gone as far as they can go

Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United are no great shakes

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 4:25pm
Leeds will get relegated, they have a poor squad.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm

The last two times Leeds were promoted to the top division, in their first seasons back they i) finished second on goal difference and ii) finished 4th, and then won the league the following season

They have a top tier coach respected worldwide and are a massive club

Elland Road will be a fortress next season in front of the fanatical virtual supporters

Newly promoted Sheffield United were not that far off contending for a Champions League place this year

Below the top two, there are a lot of poor teams with poor coaches, only Arsenal look like they might step up, Wolves may have gone as far as they can go

Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United are no great shakes
Leeds fisinshed 10 points adrift of Norwich last season. Norwich finished 14 points from safety this season.

Posted By: Olaf
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:43pm
Leeds will certainly be the interesting team to watch. To think they’ll be top 6 is laughable. They’ll need to recruit heavily, to simply stay in the league. I’ve seen then linked with some huge names but nothing has materialised. The interest in Leeds comes from Bielsa, yes they’ve a large fan base. So do all PL teams...
Sheffield United came up stronger than this current Leeds team inn nearly every single position bar Philips. Wolves are the other similarity, when they came to the big time again large sums of money were spent to keep them there. Bielsa could be found out in PL, yes he’s managed large clubs in Europe but he’s never achieved anything of note in Europe. It could be argued his greatest achievement is getting Leeds promoted in Europe. If reports are true and he’s to be given 45m, that’s not a lot of money in the Premier League.

-------------
Some people are worth melting for.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

Leeds will certainly be the interesting team to watch. To think they’ll be top 6 is laughable. They’ll need to recruit heavily, to simply stay in the league. I’ve seen then linked with some huge names but nothing has materialised. The interest in Leeds comes from Bielsa, yes they’ve a large fan base. So do all PL teams...
Sheffield United came up stronger than this current Leeds team inn nearly every single position bar Philips. Wolves are the other similarity, when they came to the big time again large sums of money were spent to keep them there. Bielsa could be found out in PL, yes he’s managed large clubs in Europe but he’s never achieved anything of note in Europe. It could be argued his greatest achievement is getting Leeds promoted in Europe. If reports are true and he’s to be given 45m, that’s not a lot of money in the Premier League.

Isn't that what the majority of Sid's posts are supposed to be though
Hard to know when he's being serious

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Leeds fisinshed 10 points adrift of Norwich last season. Norwich finished 14 points from safety this season.
And?

Leicester finished 46 points behind Chelsea in 2015. They finished 31 points ahead of them in 2016.

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:24am

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11927589/premier-league-2020-21-season-start-date-finish-date-new-kits" rel="nofollow - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11927589/premier-league-2020-21-season-start-date-finish-date-new-kits

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 10:42am
Current PL thread, there was no need for another to be made below Thumbs Up

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 11:40am
Liverpool v Leeds on the day opening day 

Wow

The game the whole world is waiting for

-------------

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Current PL thread, there was no need for another to be made below Thumbs Up

Harsh on DM, you know how much he likes making/bumping threads.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 7:39pm

greatest achievement is getting Leeds promoted in Europe

Top 6 then, good man

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 8:18pm

All PL clubs have a large fan base , hummmm yer right Burnley with it's 68,000 depending on which borders of the town you call to be their's 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

greatest achievement is getting Leeds promoted in Europe

Top 6 then, good man
I think he means when they won Serie B last year

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:25pm
Step aside there's a new sheriff in town

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-every-clubs-away-fans-in-english-football-ranked-20200824" rel="nofollow - https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-every-clubs-away-fans-in-english-football-ranked-20200824

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Step aside there's a new sheriff in town

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-every-clubs-away-fans-in-english-football-ranked-20200824" rel="nofollow - https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-every-clubs-away-fans-in-english-football-ranked-20200824

It just proves why Leeds fans get the piss took out of them on a weekly basis on social media.

Topping a poll of 6200 people, out of the total capacity of all the 91 league clubs, is nothing to be bragging about but only something Leeds fans would brag about.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:42pm
You don't know how polls work....of those who answered Leeds came in first with 24% ...........did you know about the poll? no and neither did I .........polls gauge general opinion

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:17pm
Well, if Leeds keep up their current quality of signings with De Paul to follow, they’re going to be just fine next year.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:19pm

Well, if Leeds keep up their current quality of signings with De Paul to follow, they’re going to be just fine next year.

St Vincent?

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

St Vincent?

The very chap

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:36pm
Aston Villa close to signing Ollie Watkins from Brentford, initial fee £28m rising to a possible £33m

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 12:01pm
If Bielsa can convince Draxler to Leeds following Rodrigo they could be a real force next year. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:52pm
Fulham sign Alphonse Areola. Fantastic signing for them, he’s a solid dependable goalkeeper. Too good to be sitting on the bench even if it was at Real Madrid.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm

St Vincent?

Could be this wan

Now jaysus that would be box office, not that Leeds wouldn't be box office anyway

St. Vincent rocks out in repeated performance attire | Daily Mail Online

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:48pm
Danny Rose off to Genoa seemingly 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 12:40pm
Arsenal are back. Martinez dropped. Apparently has agreed terms with Villa after being told he won't be number 1, despite being brilliant since he got in the team last season.

Also, Nketiah and Ceballos had to be separated during the warm-up after a heavy challenge from Ceballos.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Arsenal are back. Martinez dropped. Apparently has agreed terms with Villa after being told he won't be number 1, despite being brilliant since he got in the team last season.

I'd show faith in Arteta's decisions based on what he's done so far.

Even the board are showing alot of faith in him by changing his job title to Manager rather than Head Coach which suggests he has the final say on incomings and outgoings.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 1:26pm
At the moment, absolutely. He's earned that.

But it's definitely a bold move to leave Martinez out. Aubameyang aside, he was by far the best player towards the end of last season.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 5:44pm
What a f**king goal by Leeds United

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 5:53pm
Liverpool in control now. 

Van is the Man.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Liverpool in control now. 

Van is the Man.
Oh my word

The Big V with a calamity - Patrick Bamford nips in to grab a poacher's goal and Leeds's second equaliser

What a game this is

Befitting of English football's greatest rivalry

There's a reason this was called "the game the whole world is waiting for"

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:03pm
Sssaaaaaaaaallllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3-2!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:03pm
Liverpool ahead again.

I had a feeling this might be a decent match.

What a pity there are no fans there to add to the occasion.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:17pm
You can't help but admire the cut of Leeds' gib

Giving it a right go

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:47pm
Farcical defending from Liverpool.

Leeds making an excellent fist of it against the best club side in the world.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:55pm
What a game!
Leeds showing Liverpool no respect! 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Farcical defending from Liverpool.

Leeds making an excellent fist of it against the best club side in the world.

Fair play to Leeds.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 7:02pm
Leeds with the better of the possession at Anfield.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 7:10pm
Koch-blocking saves Liverpool.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm
Last seasons Leeds team win that, 2 rookie CBs who trained with each other for all of a week pretty much killed it

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 8:36pm
Liverpool 4 Leeds United 3

That's why we all love the Premier League

Leeds should make top four no problem

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:56pm
Nice goal by Hendrick there to clinch the 2-0 win for Newcastle at the Boleyn Ground

Leeds and Newcastle look like teams to watch this season

I suspect Everton may be in this category too under the trusty guidance of Carlo Ancelotti

The Gooners are definitely on the up under Coach Arteta

Looks like a stronger league in terms of depth this season compared to last

Liverpool or anybody else won't be hitting 99 points, I suspect the winning total will be in the high 80s

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:30pm
Liverpool finally exact revenge for the 1992 charity shield 

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:39pm
Some very bad defending on show at Anfield today
Trent was all over the place 

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:14am
The

I was at that.
Cantona hat-trick.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The

I was at that.
Cantona hat-trick.
Gordon Strachan scored, sorry, performed - because performed is the appropriate word - one of the most exquisite own goals of all time in that match

People talk about Djimi Traore's own goal as if it's a sort of cosmic ballet

It was very impressive, but Traore only backheeled the ball once

I have yet to see anybody else perform a triple backheel own goal like Strachan, and I doubt I ever will

The truly great own goals are the ones where the performer appears to have an out of body experience, like they are being operated by kamikaze remote control

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The

I was at that.
Cantona hat-trick.

Always remember Gordon Strachan's OG from it

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:35pm
This is a segment from Richard Keys latest blog on the new season
LOLLOLLOL

Everton? Anything other than a top half finish would be a total failure. Having appointed Ancelotti they had to back him, but I’m not convinced by James Rodriguez. If he was top drawer he wouldn’t be signing for Everton, whoever was in charge. I wouldn’t fancy him at Stoke on a wet Tuesday evening in November, but he’ll look great when the Toffees are 2-up at home. For Everton to make an impact, he’s GOT to dominate games. If I was Ancelotti I’d be going after Troy Deeney. That’s what Everton need - Reid and Gray again. Deeney would be fantastic around the club. Like Jagielka, he’s a ‘proper’ bloke.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:36pm
f**king hell LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 4:22pm
Acuña has joined Sevilla for around 10mil Euros. If he was joining the rest of his league at Wolves for hed of went for 3/4 times that amount. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm
Can we get that in English?

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Hed of went.

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:12pm

This is a segment from Richard Keys latest blog on the new season
LOLLOLLOL

Everton? Anything other than a top half finish would be a total failure. Having appointed Ancelotti they had to back him, but I’m not convinced by James Rodriguez. If he was top drawer he wouldn’t be signing for Everton, whoever was in charge. I wouldn’t fancy him at Stoke on a wet Tuesday evening in November, but he’ll look great when the Toffees are 2-up at home. For Everton to make an impact, he’s GOT to dominate games. If I was Ancelotti I’d be going after Troy Deeney. That’s what Everton need - Reid and Gray again. Deeney would be fantastic around the club. Like Jagielka, he’s a ‘proper’ bloke.

Is that genuine ? LOL

"A proper bloke" FFS Confused

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:13pm
Ha ha f**king ha. 

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Hed of went.

LOLLOLLOL

We are only jealous of his education. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:00pm
Chelsea haven’t looked good in this first half 
Lucky to be ahead, the standard Brighton goal given away from a bad pass in their defensive third, and Brighton have had a few half chances 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:09pm
Yeah. I expected more. Brighton should be level.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: willGUFC
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:24pm
lamptey looks quality here tonight for Brighton.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:24pm
Lampty’s the best player on the pitch thus far 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:32pm
Two great goals there 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:36pm
The chap's only 5 foot 1!

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:42pm
Great reaction from Chelsea once Brighton scored.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:57pm
I'm totally sold on Fat Frank and his young, entirely homegrown team

A truly outstanding managerial performance

The rest of the football world will be quaking in its boots tonight

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:36pm
Bale on his way to London on loan to Spurs.

Still negotiating how much % of the wages Spurs will pay but when he's on half a million a week we can dispel the myth that Spurs don't back their managers now.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:07pm
Levy should have backed Poch and spent while he was there. He has no option now. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 10:40pm
Horrendous defending by Southampton today
What is Walker Peters at for the 4th goal? It’s astounding 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:06am
Agree about Southampton's defending, worst I've seen in a while. For one of Son's goals, he ends up taking 4 or 5 touches before he shoots, and none of the defenders manage to get anywhere near him

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:18pm

Nice goal by Hendrick there to clinch the 2-0 win for Newcastle at the Boleyn Ground

Leeds and Newcastle look like teams to watch this season

I suspect Everton may be in this category too under the trusty guidance of Carlo Ancelotti

The Gooners are definitely on the up under Coach Arteta

Looks like a stronger league in terms of depth this season compared to last

Liverpool or anybody else won't be hitting 99 points, I suspect the winning total will be in the high 80s
I like being proved correct about things

Everton are looking good to return to their natural place in the order of things - second behind Liverpool

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:20pm
The question before today was who would join Liverpool, Everton and Leeds in the top four at the end of the season

Looks like we can answer that question now - Leicester 

Leicester Abu

Mendy is still as sh*t as ever I see

United will be licking their lips at the prospect of a Manchester Dhabi against a defence which concedes five at home

Guardiola will need to take defensive organisation lessons from Frank Lampard

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:26pm
Just seen the Newcastle penalty 
Correct decision for me 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:33pm

Correct decision for me 

Wud ya go way. Fcking absolutely ridiculous. 

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Correct decision for me 

It may well be a correct decision under the rule, but nobody seems to know what the rule is, certainly I don't, I'm not sure if you have to reach Level 1 or Level 3 and a half to be classed as a handball these days

And if it's a correct decision under the rule, then the rule is an ass

You can't jump without getting leverage from your arms

Anybody who has ever jumped would know that, which maybe Baggio doesn't, as he's white

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:05am
Baggio sounds like he never played the game.

To quote SlurAlex - “he doesnt know his ball”

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:07am
Or else I just know the current rules of it

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:09pm
The rules are the problem. That been give is a complete joke

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:19pm

Correct decision for me 

It's the rule though, if it hits the hand, away from the body, in the box, it's a foul. The rule may be nonsense and widely loathed but it was the correct decision. 

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:17pm
What was the story with the Havertz hand ball leading to Chelsea’s equaliser? 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:36pm

What was the story with the Havertz hand ball leading to Chelsea’s equaliser? 

The rule from last season about any accidental handball by the attacking team in the lead up to a goal has been tidied up a bit I think. It now has to lead directly to a goal and not indirectly as was the case in the WBA-Chelsea game.

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:35pm

Correct decision for me 

What? Defenders penalised for handling the ball in the box? What will they think of next?

The rule that the English have only just discovered, has actually been in place since June 1 2019. 15 whole solid months ago, over 400 days in the past. It was showcased on the very first day, in the European Cup Final. It won't just change, just because they now think it's nonsense. That's the law, and the law is now being enforced, as its supposed to be. 

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Correct decision for me 

It's the rule though, if it hits the hand, away from the body, in the box, it's a foul. The rule may be nonsense and widely loathed but it was the correct decision. 

Exactly. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:24pm
What's the change we need made do ya reckon? The rule at the moment is basically "you can't use your hands to make yourself bigger than you are normally". It's to stop defenders leaving their hands out wide to make it harder to cross the ball. So the Dier one, the Ward one, are technically correct. In the past it had to be deiberitely leaving their hands out, which I dont think Ward or Dier were, is the answer to bring back the intent bit?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm
Two well taken goals by Spurs but dreadful defending from Man Utd.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 8:13am
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/oct/06/david-squires-on-anarchy-in-the-premier-league-and-extinct-dinosaurs" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/oct/06/david-squires-on-anarchy-in-the-premier-league-and-extinct-dinosaurs

Good piece.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12101655/premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-propose-major-changes-to-english-football" rel="nofollow - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12101655/premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-propose-major-changes-to-english-football

Smells of the FFP proposals a few years ago.
Make it a closed shop for the big teams 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:33pm
It's ridiculous, but not surprising. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:07am
More c**tishness from Liverpool, and their former CEO, Parry. As if the furlough scandal wasn't enough negative publicity. Disgusting.

I've already mainly lost interest in the English topflight as it is. The whole idea of a breakaway elite project - which is what the EPL is - is bad enough. I just won't watch at all if this happens.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:35am
An absolute joke. PPV games yesterday, this today. This league is going to destroy itself.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 1:42am

More c**tishness from Liverpool, and their former CEO, Parry. As if the furlough scandal wasn't enough negative publicity. Disgusting.

I've already mainly lost interest in the English topflight as it is. The whole idea of a breakaway elite project - which is what the EPL is - is bad enough. I just won't watch at all if this happens.

Rick Parry was the CEO of the breakaway FA Premier League in 1992. Every FA Premier League programme used to have the thoughts of this chartered accountant on page one.
Along with the admission prices being doubled this was confirmation that the highest level of the game in England had been hijacked.

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:33pm
Next they'll want their home games away in other countries like they asked for before.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:59pm
There is talks to expand the champions league Dead

I’m all for 3 European competitions but reduce the number of participants in each competition. 

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

There is talks to expand the champions league Dead

My default setting is always to suspect the motives of anyone proposing such a move.

That said, if it is UEFA who are talking about this, then on balance, it might not be so bad if it heads off a breakaway European Super League, esp one which is a closed shop i.e. no promotion and relegation.

And if there is always the danger of "bloating" i.e. too many meaningless games, at the same time it should also mean a few new teams getting a chance, rather than the same few teams from the same few leagues always qualifying.

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’m all for 3 European competitions but reduce the number of participants in each competition. 
"Reduce"?

See my last comment, above.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:54pm

Parry has nothing to do with Liverpool and hasn't done so for a long time so not quite sure what point you are trying to make here.

On the proposal itself, it is quite complex to understand fully what ramifications it will have due to the knock on impact on the vast number of stakeholders there are in the game in the UK. But on the face of it, this does smack of a power grab and as a Liverpool fan I am not happy with that. 

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Parry has nothing to do with Liverpool and hasn't done so for a long time so not quite sure what point you are trying to make here.

Rick Parry is a Liverpool fan and a former CEO of the club.

He is someone who is commending proposals which could have severely damaging consequences for the organisation (EFL) which he currently chairs and he appears to have done so without consulting his members. And even without this proposal, the EFL is currently fighting for its life.

Meanwhile, the Premier League itself (i.e. Executive) has actually come out against it.

So that if this Liverpool/Man U proposal should ever take hold, it will also have severe consequences for the Premier League, including a clear out of the PL officials who opposed it.

Meaning they would need a new CEO too.

Rick Parry, 65, is a former CEO of the Premier League, though that is doubtless entirely coincidental...

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:36pm
Ian Holloway had a great rant about the big teams trying to take over. The B teams will kill the football league. 

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:33am

On the proposal itself, it is quite complex to understand fully what ramifications it will have due to the knock on impact on the vast number of stakeholders there are in the game in the UK. But on the face of it, this does smack of a power grab and as a Liverpool fan I am not happy with that. 

Parry was working on the proposals for this venture on behalf of United and Liverpool for 2 years before he took up the EFL role. It's a blatant power grab by the big clubs, especially with how they want the voting rights structured in their favour.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:25am

Parry was working on the proposals for this venture on behalf of United and Liverpool for 2 years before he took up the EFL role. It's a blatant power grab by the big clubs, especially with how they want the voting rights structured in their favour.

Where did you see that?

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:38am
Luke Edwards (English journalist) was on OTB 2 days ago and mentioned it.

The financial plight every club faces has made it the perfect time for Parry to brings the proposals forward. But he's not doing it out of concern for the EFL, and I'd assume he has a lot to gain financially if it ever came to pass.

It's certainly not to benefit to smaller clubs in the EFL.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:40am

Luke Edwards (English journalist) was on OTB 2 days ago and mentioned it.

The financial plight every club faces has made it the perfect time for Parry to brings the proposals forward. But he's not doing it out of concern for the EFL, and I'd assume he has a lot to gain financially if it ever came to pass.

It's certainly not to benefit to smaller clubs in the EFL.
Parry isn't bringing these proposals forward though. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net