You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phil Lynott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:59pm
I was at the RDS gig in 1980 when The Lookalikes were the support - (we often went to The Crofton of a Friday night to see them). Year I did my Leaving.

Went with a few lads from school. I remember traffic lights either side of the stage. When it went from red to orange was the last we saw of each other. I remember having a mirror Thin Lizzy badge - sadly no idea what became of it. We used to drink in The Neptune.

Really enjoyed the documentary last night.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

I was at the RDS gig in 1980 when The Lookalikes were the support - (we often went to The Crofton of a Friday night to see them). Year I did my Leaving. - so did I.. Saw the Lookalikes in the National stadium with Stryder as support.. I did my leaving in 1980 and couldn't wait to leave school.

Went with a few lads from school. I remember traffic lights either side of the stage. When it went from red to orange was the last we saw of each other. I remember having a mirror Thin Lizzy badge - sadly no idea what became of it. We used to drink in The Neptune.- - Ah ffs. So did I - the Flowing Tide or the North Star - 

Went on Holidays to Ballybunion in 1980 and the "Renegade Tour" was coming to Newcastlewest. So a few of us thumbed our way to the gig, slept in a barn afterwards and thumbed back to Ballybunion. I can still remember the big red flags on stage, and the great Snowy White.

Really enjoyed the documentary last night. Me too.. Lizzy shirt in Alvor next week.
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

I was at the RDS gig in 1980 when The Lookalikes were the support - (we often went to The Crofton of a Friday night to see them). Year I did my Leaving. - so did I.. Saw the Lookalikes in the National stadium with Stryder as support.. I did my leaving in 1980 and couldn't wait to leave school.

Went with a few lads from school. I remember traffic lights either side of the stage. When it went from red to orange was the last we saw of each other. I remember having a mirror Thin Lizzy badge - sadly no idea what became of it. We used to drink in The Neptune.- - Ah ffs. So did I - the Flowing Tide or the North Star - 

Went on Holidays to Ballybunion in 1980 and the "Renegade Tour" was coming to Newcastlewest. So a few of us thumbed our way to the gig, slept in a barn afterwards and thumbed back to Ballybunion. I can still remember the big red flags on stage, and the great Snowy White.

Really enjoyed the documentary last night. Me too.. Lizzy shirt in Alvor next week.

Small world . Went to O'Connells CBS
The Neptune was the downstairs of the Flowing Tide. Also went to the pub across the road sometimes. Name escapes me but think it closed down.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:49pm

The Neptune was the downstairs of the Flowing Tide. Also went to the pub across the road sometimes. Name escapes me but think it closed down.

The Plough.. it was a 'RA kip.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:50pm

I went to Joey's
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:11pm

Yeah but you could get served at around 15 so not all bad.

Really enjoyed the film last night, such a sad end of his life though. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 26 Aug 2021 at 5:12pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:31pm

The Plough was just full of underage drinkers like myself!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Yeah but you could get served at around 15 so not all bad.

Really enjoyed the film last night, such a sad end of his life though. 
15 et all you could get served in the Plough. The Neptune was good too for underage drinking, especially when all the buses on abbey street brought me passed my hall door or the school disco, or later the "GROVE"Wink
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:51pm
They had buses in those days? 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Something along these lines I'd say Big smile

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:21pm
The Plough..  that's the spot. We had our undersge places.

Granted wasn't that often as didn't have the money. 
Mostly cycled or walked back home to Cabra.
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:21pm

The Plough..  that's the spot. We had our undersge places.

Granted wasn't that often as didn't have the money. 
Mostly cycled or walked back home to Cabra.

It was great for a lockin in the mid 90's. I still meet one of the barmen who used to work there for a pint regularly enough. I often left it when the morning staff were opening up. 

There was a fella from Galway who used to live upstairs and he was "the security". Most of the time you could have driven a bus into the side of the building and you wouldn't wake him. He was mad but a good bit of craic. I heard that he died in London a few months back.

One of the night porters from old morans hotel (o'sheas on Gardiner Street) used to come in for a few pints before work and we'd get him to buy the ppv Tyson fights in the hotel. We'd all leave the plough at 3am and head to morans for the fights.

The plough was great craic up until 96/97, went downhill from there on. I took a picture through the window about 2 years ago and the bar is still there but there must be a million pigeons squatting in the place.

I went to see the Phil Lynott documentary in the Screen cinema 5 or 6 weeks ago when it came out. I thought it was excellent.

Edited by tapfit2004 - 26 Aug 2021 at 11:25pm
Let Christy Take It.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:41am
Was in the Plough in late 90s, was 16/17 at the time and got f**ked out for being a bit too messy. Went outside and swapped me jacket with a homeless fella and rocked back in 5 minutes later LOL
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

They had buses but jonnie's were illegal.  The RC CHURCH banned them but had no problem with their own rogering young kids or having affairs with women.. Casey and Cleary for example. So the 70's and 80's were the start of changec in the country
theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:43pm
Watched the documentary last night.  Maybe I'm in the minority, and maybe I missed the concept they were going for, but I thought it was no more than decent.  I know it was more about Phil than Lizzy -- and their interviews about his early life were the one part that I thought exceeded previous documentaries I'd seen -- but it seemed to me they were more concerned about "myth-making" than giving an honest portrayal.  No Brian Downey (very strange as he was both a childhood friend and the one other constant in the band), no Brian Robertson (and no mention of his role in their carousel of guitarists or drug use), and hardly a mention of Phil's own drug use towards the end.  There is an interview available online shortly before Phil's death where he talks very openly and honestly about that that I think should be fundamental to any story about Phil.  Also no mention of his son that they discovered a few years back who was given up for adoption, which I do think is noteworthy, simply because of Phil's own background.  Clearly, I'm a massive of fan of both the man and the band, but to leave all of these things out really doesn't give a proper account, at least in my opinion.

Edited by theworm2345 - 29 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 1:00pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:40pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
bash for philo is on January 5th in the button factory with grandslam headlining the night. Tickets up on Ticketmaster today if your interested. 
"WE WILL BE STRONG"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic