You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North of Ireland Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 129>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:58am
Good post Randy
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:21am
A quick question from an intrigued outsider.

Just what exactly were the Democratic Unionist Party's reasons for supporting Brexit ?
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Just what exactly were the Democratic Unionist Party's reasons for supporting Brexit ?

british independence day. 

get the immigrants out.

berlin wall around ulster. 

the reasons were many but none actually made any strategic sense.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:32am

Oh you know to just show that they’re more patriotically British than the British themselves  without thinking  things through or looking at the bigger picture.

They really are an embarrassment. The Unionist parties all across the board have taken a similar trajectory  to the American Republicans over the last decade where there seems to be no moderates in them or certainly not given a prominent voice. They’re shooting themselves in the foot with this obstructionist say no to everything, don’t give an inch approach. Even the Tory led government is going to lose patience with them.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:38am

I think Brexit is a disaster for us here in Ireland.  I think it is also bad news for the UK but worse for us.

The DUP's thinking would be along the line of the right wing Tories who also supported Brexit.  Although politics in Northern Ireland is totally tribal as opposed to left/right.  In recent years the extreme parties have prospered (eg DUP, Sinn Fein) whereas the parties that are more open (SDLP, Ulster Unionists) have been decimated.  
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I think Brexit is a disaster for us here in Ireland.  I think it is also bad news for the UK but worse for us.

The DUP's thinking would be along the line of the right wing Tories who also supported Brexit.  Although politics in Northern Ireland is totally tribal as opposed to left/right.  In recent years the extreme parties have prospered (eg DUP, Sinn Fein) whereas the parties that are more open (SDLP, Ulster Unionists) have been decimated.  

You sound like a Tory MP right now. how do you know that brexit will be worse for Ireland than the UK?

Imports to Belgium are bigger than they are to the UK. we've got morocco back on the grid for exporting which has a massive market that hasn't been available to Ireland for the past 20 years. also, it's not as if brexit will mean the end of trading with the UK. but the better stance is to be within the EU rather than leaving it
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:47am
Be interesting to see if Saordah , the new Anti Agreement Republican Party stand in the elections. Will be no chance of them getting a seat but any party with a long term strategy of securing elected seats will surely put up candidates, assuming they are registered as a political party. I believe Cista, the Cannabis party have let their registration slip
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:06pm

Ulster Unionist Party more open?!

This would be the same party that ever open minded Tom Elliott as their leader?

The Pan Unionist walk out on the Haas negotiations just demonstrates where Unionism is at the moment. No, no, no to everything

Edited by irishmufc - 12 Jan 2017 at 12:07pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

The Pan Unionist walk out on the Haas negotiations just demonstrates where Unionism is at the moment. No, no, no to everything

Tom Elliot isn't the UUP leader muff

Edited by Denis Irwin - 12 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Tom Elliot isn't the UUP leader muff

He was their leader. 

I thought I typed the word 'had' in. I was speaking in the past tense. Thumbs Up
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:38pm
The ironic thing is that even of the DUP secretly wanted brexit but voted in NIs interest and voted to remain just for optics, it would not have impacted the overall result.

They've rounded all other parties against them and will lose mainstream unionist votes.

And foster has been a disgrace. When all else fails, play the orange card.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

You sound like a Tory MP right now. how do you know that brexit will be worse for Ireland than the UK?

Imports to Belgium are bigger than they are to the UK. we've got morocco back on the grid for exporting which has a massive market that hasn't been available to Ireland for the past 20 years. also, it's not as if brexit will mean the end of trading with the UK. but the better stance is to be within the EU rather than leaving it

I'm not advocating we leave.  I'm pro European and think Brexit is bad news and not sure how it makes me sound like a Tory MP. I have to respect the decision made by a foreign electorate but I don't like it.  It is my opinion that it is a disaster for us.  Our nearest neighbours and main trading partner will be outside the single market.  We have a small open economy and are more vulnerable than the UK.  Many Irish companies sell into the UK market and it will be difficult to compete if tariffs are imposed.  

Maybe disaster is too strong but it isn't good for us and will cost jobs in my opinion.

Do you have a source for the Belgium statistic? I find it surprising.  
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:54pm

Mike Nesbitt has been the leader for almost 5 years.  They are more open than the DUP.  They don't have the ties to evangelical Christians or to the Orange Order that the DUP do.  

They are also much more open on things like gay marriage.

alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 1:29pm

I'm not advocating we leave.  I'm pro European and think Brexit is bad news and not sure how it makes me sound like a Tory MP. I have to respect the decision made by a foreign electorate but I don't like it.  It is my opinion that it is a disaster for us.  Our nearest neighbours and main trading partner will be outside the single market.  We have a small open economy and are more vulnerable than the UK.  Many Irish companies sell into the UK market and it will be difficult to compete if tariffs are imposed.  

Maybe disaster is too strong but it isn't good for us and will cost jobs in my opinion.

"The EU accounted for €4,796 million (48 percent) of total goods exports, of which €1,332 million went to Belgium and €1,019 million to the UK." (by my calculations, that works out at roughly 10% of our total exports goes to UK)

UK is obviously a massive trading partner of ours, but I mean have Ireland actually properly utilised the full reach of a 28-country bloc? I don't think so, and can only see the fact that the brits have voted to leave will it force our hand to step outside of our comfort zone and make the necessary relations with other associate countries.

Edited by alihau41 - 12 Jan 2017 at 1:33pm
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 1:31pm
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:02pm
The UUP led by MIKE NESBIT would be a huge step forward for Northern Ireland in comparison with Arlene.

The best politician to lead the North is in fact Naoimi Long, however everyone (well 85%) vote Green and Orange.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:22pm

Do you mean we import more stuff from Belgium than the UK? Or we export more. 

Amyway without even b0thering to look it up the UK is our biggest trading partner, by a long long distance and a car crash Brexit (which I think will happen) is gonna have some serious shrapnel coming Ireland's way.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:24pm
Well I'll be 

Although it shipped to Belgium where it goes elsewhere, so technically yes Belgium is, but really it's still the UK 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 129>
  Share Topic