Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: North of Ireland Politics
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Subject: North of Ireland Politics
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:03pm
McGuinness resigns as Deputy First Minister

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Replies:
Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:08pm
Haven't said this about a Sinner in a while but fair play to him, he must have relocated his bollocks.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:12pm
I wonder is it more related to his health than the RHI scandal or both.

Foster has some arrogance, and playing the misogyny card is pathetic, especially since her own party make some misogyny comments from Poots and Wilson.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:13pm
Fair Fuchs

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:13pm
Foster has until 5pm to step aside otherwise Sinn Fein will force an election

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:14pm

He's murdered people with less force than that.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:20pm
If there now is an election then it'll be very interesting to see how people vote - Will the UUP be in a position to pick up DUP votes ?

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

If there now is an election then it'll be very interesting to see how people vote - Will the UUP be in a position to pick up DUP votes ?

That is the way I see it with SDLP increasing their seats too.

The DUP are dinosaurs...

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:24pm
NI needs a general election. 

I voted SDLP last time 1 and 2 and Alliance, as this was obvious to anyone who opened their eyes nothing has happened in the North since the early 2000's its time for a change. Eastwood has give an alternative over the last few months he carries no baggage, there is also the Alliance and UUP, Naoimi Long is superb and possibly the best politician in Northern Ireland.

Helpfully the electorate vote the alternative. Foster won't move, she'll be confident in an election. Hopefully this is the end of her and their party.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:25pm
Yah UUP and SDLP to pick up seats. Foster more or less said earlier 'if their's to be an election bring it on' better be careful what she wishes for.

-------------

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

I voted SDLP last time, as this was obvious to anyone who opened their eyes nothing has happened in the North since the early 2000's its time for a change. Eastwood has give an alternative as do the alliance and UUP. 

Helpfully the electorate vote the alternative. Foster won't move, she'll be confident in an election. Hopefully this is the end of her and their party.

funny that, i recall you saying you vote sf... as well as being a tory boy LOL

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

I voted SDLP last time, as this was obvious to anyone who opened their eyes nothing has happened in the North since the early 2000's its time for a change. Eastwood has give an alternative as do the alliance and UUP. 

Indeed. Seem to recall him stating previously he voted SF in NI and Tory in England bizarrely

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

No, i repeatedly said on here SF/DUP cannot work and i voted the alternative in the recent election.. SDLP. I like Eastwood a lot, i think he's young and bright and offers NI a chance of working, the fact he went to the UUP conference says a lot about the chap.  

I previously voted SF, until the last election however as i did indeed state on here.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:28pm
Have barely followed the Ash for Cash, but reading there earlier one farmer got around a million of burning his boiler in an empty shed. Pinch

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:28pm
He said throughout the last elections in the north that he voted SDLP
He also likes the Tory party.
Strange, but how many times does he have to explain his reasoning?

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:34pm
McGuinness hasn't confirmed if he'll run if there is a snap election. Some journos ssaying this suggests to them he won't

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:36pm
McGuiness is seriously ill I reckon, he doesn't look well and hasn't been on a few trips he's lost a dramatic amount of weight also.

I think this is when NI politics turns on it's head, which is needed ASAP

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:37pm
There are ninety minutes for someone in the DUP to knife her and get her to step aside.

Let's see what happens.

That said, while it may *appear* to be an inopportune time for an election for the DUP, they'll be happy enough to go with it if they actually have something to hide.

Their options are this:
1) The DUP fight an election on the current public knowledge, and suffer some electoral damage, on the basis of speculation about RHI, or
2) The DUP force Foster to stand aside, there's an inquiry soon enough and
i) if the DUP and Foster are found to have engaged in wrongdoing, they get hammered publicly and in elections, which are unlikely to be long in coming; or
ii) if there is no wrongdoing, or if it is just a civil service f**k up, they emerge closer to unscathed and there is minimal electoral damage because it's a few years to an election.

So if they've done wrong, it's almost in their interest to have the election now, when the full picture isn't clear, and won't be clear.... but Foster personally will be f**ked and they'll lose a few seats as a party for the duration of the next assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if she hung on, because it is almost in the party's interest not to have the full picture clear before an election, assuming this is as bad as it looks.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:45pm
McGuinness on the news now, looks gravely ill.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:53pm
could be a good opportunity for sf to change face a little and usher the new guard.

hopefully Vlad takes an interest in NI politics and it's a landslide for the shinners. 

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:13pm

Prediction that SDLP will pick up seats is wide of the mark for a couple of reasons

1. Any new election will be for 5 seater constituencies instead of 6, meaning there are 16 less seats available

2. I may be wrong but I'm not aware of seats where SDLP narrowly lost out to SF where they could pick up a seat. Upper Bann maybe, but this was the 6th and final seat which wouldn't be available this time. No SDLP representation in West Belfast I would imagine

PBPA will lose Eamonn McCann in Foyle presumably which will be a shame

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What's supposed to be wrong with him HB?

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Prediction that SDLP will pick up seats is wide of the mark for a couple of reasons

1. Any new election will be for 5 seater constituencies instead of 6, meaning there are 16 less seats available

2. I may be wrong but I'm not aware of seats where SDLP narrowly lost out to SF where they could pick up a seat. Upper Bann maybe, but this was the 6th and final seat which wouldn't be available this time. No SDLP representation in West Belfast I would imagine

What I think will happen is traditional hardcore SDLP errors will go back to SDLP they'll target South Down for sure, Derry is another if McGuinness goes SDLP have been going door to door there for a few months now since the election making their presence shown. SF didn't show up on our family house once during the election, the SDLP appeared 4 times.

It'll really depend how the SDLP play this, they have the platform they've been hoping for over a decade its up to them to capitalise on it. Alliance will make gains, Naomi Long makes that party electable the best politician in the province.

A rumour was cancer, he looks awful he was an excellent statesman for ireland/Northern Ireland but for his own interests he should step aside.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

What's supposed to be wrong with him HB?

Just seen it hes in bad shape alright, sad to see. Stomach cancer apparantly

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:29pm

What I think will happen is traditional hardcore SDLP errors will go back to SDLP they'll target South Down for sure, Derry is another if McGuinness goes SDLP have been going door to door there for a few months now since the election making their presence shown. SF didn't show up on our family house once during the election, the SDLP appeared 4 times.

It'll really depend how the SDLP play this, they have the platform they've been hoping for over a decade its up to them to capitalise on it. Alliance will make gains, Naomi Long makes that party electable the best politician in the province.

A rumour was cancer, he looks awful he was an excellent statesman for ireland/Northern Ireland but for his own interests he should step aside.

For SDLP to pick up a seat here it would mean SF going down to 1 seat which I cant see happening. SDLP had 30% of vote and SF just behind on 28.5%. Although there could be a perfect storm for them if alot of independent votes which a lot were anti SF, and quite a few PBP votes go their way. A long shot at best

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:45pm
The South Down and Londonderry Party will be doing well to do as they did before: 2 in South Down, 2 in Londonderry, and a handful across the rest of the constituencies.

They'd be well advised to run just the two sitting assembly members in South Down, mind.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The South Down and Londonderry Party will be doing well to do as they did before: 2 in South Down, 2 in Londonderry, and a handful across the rest of the constituencies.

They'd be well advised to run just the two sitting assembly members in South Down, mind.

Have you got you're Ulster\Scots spell check on?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:56pm
The end of Alex Attwood as we know it unless he is shipped over to South Belfast where he actually lives

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:58pm
SDLP - South Down and Londonderry Party (edit: obviously not what it stands for, but it's not the first time it's been called that).

Anyway, interestingly enough, looking at the Upper Bann election last time around, similar figures would likely see the UUP losing their seat, despite finishing fourth, assuming enough SDLP transfers went to SF. Which is possible, certainly, as they are a lot more likely to go SF than UUP, down the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Bann_%28Assembly_constituency%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Bann_(Assembly_constituency)

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:05pm

LOL

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:28pm
Movie coming out about it shortly

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3783958/" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3783958/

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:55pm
Other potential casualties that come to mind are SF Oliver McMullan in East Antrim, and McPhilips in FST who only got in due to SF putting up 4 candidates in the first place. Also current Education Minister Peter Weir (DUP) and Justice Minister Sugdeon (IND) look in potential trouble

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

LOL

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:02pm

Just saw it there.  Looks like he's dyingShocked

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:04pm
Sounds very weak as well

-------------

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:09pm
Jesus poor Marty looks ill...no way he can hold down the dfm post? Who's to replace him,??

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Jesus poor Marty looks ill...no way he can hold down the dfm post? Who's to replace him,??

Pearse Doherty should go North

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:25pm
Foster should have stood aside. Foolish on her part.

This is smart from Sinn Fein: they are hoping that those DUP assembly members who think their seats might be at risk (given this scandal *and* the decrease in the number of MLAs after the next election) there could be a number of DUP MLAs who want to knife her, to save their own hides.

There are very real dangers for the DUP of losing a seat (or more than one, in some cases) in East Antrim, South Antrim, North Belfast, South Belfast, East Belfast, North Down, Mid Ulster and a few more. The sitting MLAs won't want to lose a their seats and a healthy income. A lot of her own MLAs right now will be putting out feelers to see who is up for shafting her. They have a week so it might happen yet if a substantial number of DUP MLAs are motivated by self-preservation. Get rid of her as leader, agree to nominate another first minister and then the ball is back in Sinn Fein's court.

-------------

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:32pm

I'd take that myself, reinforces the all Ireland structure of the Party but I can't see it happening. Sinn fein still have too much work to do down south. I'd like too see Gerry Kelly take it purely to wind up the unionists.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:52pm
Despite knowing Martin McGuinness was ill, it was still a shock and quite upsetting to see him appearing so frail on the news there.

A great, great Irishman and always a man of principle. 

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Despite knowing Martin McGuinness was ill, it was still a shock and quite upsetting to see him appearing so frail on the news there.

A great, great Irishman and always a man of principle. 

Couldn't agree more! Always was more likable than Adams. I voted for him in the presidential election. Difficult looking at him in that poor state on the news. I hope he beats this illness and retires immediately. He owes the country nothing at this stage

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:59pm
I still struggle to get over the fact that he had a direct hand in killing people. 
I do admire the journey he has gone on though in the same way that I do for the likes of Peter Robinson and Ian Paisley even if their politics is totally different to mine. 
I do think McGuinness has done a good job in the deputy first minister role. 

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:06pm

I'd take that myself, reinforces the all Ireland structure of the Party but I can't see it happening. Sinn fein still have too much work to do down south. I'd like too see Gerry Kelly take it purely to wind up the unionists.

I f**king love Gerry Kelly. He gets under their skin to much.

I'd say Ó Muilleoir might get it though.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:10pm

I still struggle to get over the fact that he had a direct hand in killing people. 
I do admire the journey he has gone on though in the same way that I do for the likes of Peter Robinson and Ian Paisley even if their politics is totally different to mine. 

The head of every country kills people. You only need to look at the UK's history in the middle east over the last few decades? The death toll of civilians must be in the millions at this stage.

What has Robinson or Paisley done that you like? apart from watching some kid f**k his wife.

Paisley was one of the main instigators of the Troubles in the North ffs.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:13pm

The head of every country kills people. 

They don't. They really don't.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:14pm

The head of every country kills people. You only need to look at the UK's history in the middle east over the last few decades? The death toll of civilians must be in the millions at this stage.

What has Robinson or Paisley done that you like? apart from watching some kid f**k his wife.

Yeah, Paisley was a nasty, dangerous individual for many years yet towards the end of his political life he appeared to be a lot more "inclusive" in his views. 

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:17pm

Yeah, Paisley was a nasty, dangerous individual for many years yet towards the end of his political life he appeared to be a lot more "inclusive" in his views. 

Yep,

Probably trying to improve his image of his legacy.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:20pm

Yep,

Probably trying to improve his image of his legacy.

Very possibly so.

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:28pm
A strong woman would be the ideal DFM and do wonders for Sinn Fein.
Difficult to know who that could be.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: Kevboy
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:30pm
Shocked to see how ill Martin McGuinness looked & sounded. Whatever your political persuasion, always difficult to see someone struggle with his health in such a short period of time.  

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Michelle O'Neill, Caral ni Chuilin, Michelle Gildermew. Megan fearon in future

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:47pm

Gerry Kelly is some craic and is genuinely really funny, bit of a wind up merchant too. Was at a talk about the maze prison escape few months ago and he was some value!

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:57pm
I'd say he was planning on going soon and this is the right opportunity.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:04pm
DUP statement.

I am disappointed that Martin McGuinness has chosen to take the position he has today.

His actions have meant that, at precisely the time we need our Government to be active, we will have no government and no way to resolve the RHI problems.

It is clear that Sinn Fein’s actions are not principled they are political.

Let me make it clear the DUP will always defend unionism and stand up for what is best for Northern Ireland and it appears from the Deputy First Minister’s resignation letter that is what annoys Sinn Fein the most.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:15pm
Delusion doesn't come close. Are they living in a bubble.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:22pm

Those are just female Sinn Feinn members in NI. No indication that they would fit the profile needed/be interested/be the best person for the job.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:28pm

Those are just female Sinn Feinn members in NI. No indication that they would fit the profile needed/be interested/be the best person for the job.

Correct.

I doubt any of those would be qualified enough as they are all very young.

Gildernew has stood down and ni Chuilin would not be considered for a number of reasons.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:46pm

Correct.

I doubt any of those would be qualified enough as they are all very young.

Gildernew has stood down and ni Chuilin would not be considered for a number of reasons.

Gildernew stood down!?!?!?
I'd say Michelle O'Neill could, has had quite a few years as a minister in various departments. Although I'd imagine it's a toss up between Conor murphy and Mairtin

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:13pm
You've left out Chris Hazard, his name will be in the hat for SF young with no baggage. Máirtín ó muilleoir, would be their best option, highly respected in Belfast on both sides of the community particularly in the Lisburn Rd area business owners i know couldn't speak higher of him.

I will still be an SDLP voter, infact my stance has hardened both parties were in government lets not forget. 

SF have to bring this to a general election now, and its going to extremely interesting... Mike Nesbitt would work far better with the SDLP/SF hopefully recent DUP voters go back home to the UUP. The SDLP/UUP have to ram this down the electorate, SF/DUP are incapable of working together hopefully in the coming elections the electorate realise this and vote the bloody alternative like in any other democracy, Simon Hamilton would be a choice for the DUP not a complete nut job.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Until it makes sense.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:23am
He's also an apartheid supporter but votes for the ANC

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:25am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Until it makes sense.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:44am

Until it makes sense.

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:55am
Aye sure lets derail the thread again there and have the next 5 pages based upon who a man on a forum who you don't even know votes for, despite him telling us and explaining why on every politics based thread on here for the last two years.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:46pm
Gregory Campbell the odious **** was on Radio Ulster with Stephen Nolan this morning. Evidently didn't like the questions about the Cash for Ash scandal so threatened Nolan he would 'dig in to his past'

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:57pm
As if Nolan is some closet Republican LOL

I cannot stand Nolan but he does go after the Unionist dinosaurs in fairness. 

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:58pm
Wow, McGuinness looks very ill. 

Hopefully he can rest & recover and get back into politics again 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Not trying to be funny here, but he looks a bit like Gazza when he was looking completely run down and shook last summer. It's like he's aged 20 years nearly.

I met McGuinness less than 2 years ago and he has gone downhill a lot since then. Mind you being in power with the party of fcukwits who only know one word 'no' wouldn't do your sanity and health any favours. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Not trying to be funny here, but he looks a bit like Gazza when he was looking completely run down and shook last summer. It's like he's aged 20 years nearly.

I met McGuinness less than 2 years ago and he has gone downhill a lot since then. Mind you being in power with the party of fcukwits who only know one word 'no' wouldn't do your sanity and health any favours. 

i hope i never meet you

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:23pm
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:35pm

Aye sure lets derail the thread again there and have the next 5 pages based upon who a man on a forum who you don't even know votes for, despite him telling us and explaining why on every politics based thread on here for the last two years.
You on the Bucky?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:52pm
SF 'Highly Irresponsible'to collapse Stormont according to Nigel Dodds in Westminster

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

SF 'Highly Irresponsible'to collapse Stormont according to Nigel Dodds in Westminster

You're wrong Denis.

It's SF trying to put policemen and soldiers in the dock according to big Sammy.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:09pm

You're wrong Denis.

It's SF trying to put policemen and soldiers in the dock according to big Sammy.

You seen Sammy streaking again?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:11pm

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:31pm

You're wrong Denis.

You seen Sammy streaking again?

Unfortunately yes,

I spotted him in Lisburn using his mikey as a tripod.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:51pm
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/arlene-foster-will-want-northern-ireland-election-fought-on-any-subject-other-than-rhi-cash-for-ash-fiasco-35355306.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/arlene-foster-will-want-northern-ireland-election-fought-on-any-subject-other-than-rhi-cash-for-ash-fiasco-35355306.html

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/arlene-foster-will-want-northern-ireland-election-fought-on-any-subject-other-than-rhi-cash-for-ash-fiasco-35355306.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/arlene-foster-will-want-northern-ireland-election-fought-on-any-subject-other-than-rhi-cash-for-ash-fiasco-35355306.html

She's turning it to a Green white and orange debate, she has to. Although for the first time in history the UUP, PUP even Alliance are stamping down on it (Right now the Union is safe in their eyes and so it is), this is corruption nothing more and nothing less infact a PUP member put on Twitter 'If we'd rather be robbed by a Prod then leaded by a Catholic then we're in trouble' 

There will be lots of people who will see nothing else then a Union Jack and stay true to Arlene.. however many will go to the UUP/Alliance and many more just won't vote at all I believe Nesbitt has handled himself well he's from pretty close to me and I don't have much to say about him I think overall he'd be a big step forward.

A bigger step forward would be the nationalist vote improving, that has to happen under 50% is pathetic. 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:30pm

She's turning it to a Green white and orange debate, she has to. Although for the first time in history the UUP, PUP even Alliance are stamping down on it (Right now the Union is safe in their eyes and so it is), this is corruption nothing more and nothing less infact a PUP member put on Twitter 'If we'd rather be robbed by a Prod then leaded by a Catholic then we're in trouble' 

There will be lots of people who will see nothing else then a Union Jack and stay true to Arlene.. however many will go to the UUP/Alliance and many more just won't vote at all I believe Nesbitt has handled himself well he's from pretty close to me and I don't have much to say about him I think overall he'd be a big step forward.

A bigger step forward would be the nationalist vote improving, that has to happen under 50% is pathetic. 

very true, always the case up north. of course the nationalists will hammer her for making it a green v orange debate, which will lead to the unionists fighting on this front and that means the DUP will win. if change is needed, all opposing parties have to keep it to the RHI farce. the more I read about the RHI scheme, the more it makes me cringe on how on earth it was implemented in that format. DUP would have to make serious concessions between now and Monday in order for SF to fill deputy role

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:39pm

very true, always the case up north. of course the nationalists will hammer her for making it a green v orange debate, which will lead to the unionists fighting on this front and that means the DUP will win. if change is needed, all opposing parties have to keep it to the RHI farce. the more I read about the RHI scheme, the more it makes me cringe on how on earth it was implemented in that format. DUP would have to make serious concessions between now and Monday in order for SF to fill deputy role

Listening to Nesbitt/Eastwood earlier in the car on my phone they appear to be working in conjunction on the issue. SF have, they've told the DUP accept gay marriage.. well thats not going to happen so it'll be a general election in early February i seen Alex Kane has mentioned. An election is needed now, it could damage the DUP heavily.. strike while the iron is hot and have a general election.

I can't see McGuiness staying on, i think that will damage SF also. Outside McGuinness a lot of their party do lack any form of charisma, some of the SF ministers have been appalling as have the DUP mind. I mentioned this wouldn't work, and it lasted months.. why people keep voting for the same nonsense I don't understand, it baffles me.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:45pm
You've got a car on your phone?Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:47pm

'in the car on my phone' 

BBC Ulster on my phone connected via bluetooth to the car system, not quite amazing technology. 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:48pm

Listening to Nesbitt/Eastwood earlier in the car on my phone they appear to be working in conjunction on the issue. SF have, they've told the DUP accept gay marriage.. well thats not going to happen so it'll be a general election in early February i seen Alex Kane has mentioned. An election is needed now, it could damage the DUP heavily.. strike while the iron is hot and have a general election.

I can't see McGuiness staying on, i think that will damage SF also. Outside McGuinness a lot of their party do lack any form of charisma, some of the SF ministers have been appalling as have the DUP mind. I mentioned this wouldn't work, and it lasted months.. why people keep voting for the same nonsense I don't understand, it baffles me.

surely DUP would benefit from an early election when there are less facts and results of the 'cash for ash' debacle rather than when everything is out in the open which would be found once a full investigation has completed? with full view of the RHI investigation then there would be much more of a flight from DUP to UUP and Alliance...

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:52pm

surely DUP would benefit from an early election when there are less facts and results of the 'cash for ash' debacle rather than when everything is out in the open which would be found once a full investigation has completed? with full view of the RHI investigation then there would be much more of a flight from DUP to UUP and Alliance...

That is a very true point but what happens if the facts aren't as bad as we'd all like, Nama was over looked (massively) some reports claim Robinson/Wilson had upto 7million stashed yet we never heard about it.. public out cry is there at the minute, personally I would prefer one now, where Forster is against the wall.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:08pm

'in the car on my phone' 

BBC Ulster on my phone connected via bluetooth to the car system, not quite amazing technology. 
You mean on the phone in your car? Disappointing.Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:30am

That is a very true point but what happens if the facts aren't as bad as we'd all like, Nama was over looked (massively) some reports claim Robinson/Wilson had upto 7million stashed yet we never heard about it.. public out cry is there at the minute, personally I would prefer one now, where Forster is against the wall.

I'm sure what will come out of the investigation is that a couple of heads below foster at the time will be the fall guys and seen as being negligent. foster will be provided an easy route out and will therefore push on to keep as representative for DUP in the executive. I doubt there would be any kickback on this if the UK Treasury were paying the whole RHI bill, rather than leaving 490mn to be dealt with locally (if NI voted to stay part of the EU, you know full well that EU would make the NI taxpayer foot the whole bill)

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:43am
Martin McGuinness looks seriously ill hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Did a cycle for a Children's hospital in 2013 from Dublin to Derry and he came to meet us in the Brandywell at Derry City's ground.

A decent politician.

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:50am
...anyway the British govt. will sort this out Arlene's just there puppet and they are her paymasters.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:46am
Paul Givan has now reinstated the Liofa Irish language bursaries , saying he has now been able to find the money!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:51am
laughable isn't it. the DUP really are a party of dinosaurs. why any young, educated Unionist would vote for them i'll never know.

to me this is all theater. SF's long game has always been to disrupt or (as unionists put it) keep the concession meter running. and they're very good at it. the last thing SF want is a fully functional and economically viable NI.  every few years things blow up and eventually after talks and concessions, it quiet down again, and the UK giv picks up the bill.

the bigger and far more important picture in all of this is brexit. it's happening and the consequences for the north are huge. the DUPers campaigning for brexit was another, in a long line of, stupid political moves. foster is an amateur compared with MMG. at least robbo was fairly shrewd, although he took his eye off the ball with mrs robbo.

brexit is a nightmare scenario for the unionist position. forget the border and immigration issue, for which there is absolutely no logical solution, firstly who the hell is going to pay for the short-fall in EU funding that NI receives (several hundred million euros a year). whose gonna pay the farmers several hundred million in EU subsidies? The uk have said they'll foot the bill but only to 2021 moment. why on earth would they keep paying it for another generation?! the english despise the place. it offers nothing and costs an absolute fortune.

the only viable long term solution is a one island economy. every fool knows it. the english would certainly love the prospect. the report on "modeling irish unification", undertaken by some canadian firm last is worth a read if you have time. difficult to access how accurate it is but the findings are very interesting and it points to the one island economy as the best long term solution for ireland.

anyway, we will watch this one play out but dont be fooled by all the noise of heating schemes, irish language, equality etc... this is SF doing what they do best and timing it nicely when the english couldnt get a flying f00k about the place. the election will produce a similar result with perhaps SF/ DUP loosing a bit of ground, but this is all just part of the theater. 2021 Census just around the corner which will see the pendulum of prod majority swing - that wont change voting overnight, but psychologically it's relevant.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:58am
Good post Randy

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:21am
A quick question from an intrigued outsider.

Just what exactly were the Democratic Unionist Party's reasons for supporting Brexit ?

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Just what exactly were the Democratic Unionist Party's reasons for supporting Brexit ?

british independence day. 

get the immigrants out.

berlin wall around ulster. 

the reasons were many but none actually made any strategic sense.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:32am

Oh you know to just show that they’re more patriotically British than the British themselves  without thinking  things through or looking at the bigger picture.

They really are an embarrassment. The Unionist parties all across the board have taken a similar trajectory  to the American Republicans over the last decade where there seems to be no moderates in them or certainly not given a prominent voice. They’re shooting themselves in the foot with this obstructionist say no to everything, don’t give an inch approach. Even the Tory led government is going to lose patience with them.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:38am

I think Brexit is a disaster for us here in Ireland.  I think it is also bad news for the UK but worse for us.

The DUP's thinking would be along the line of the right wing Tories who also supported Brexit.  Although politics in Northern Ireland is totally tribal as opposed to left/right.  In recent years the extreme parties have prospered (eg DUP, Sinn Fein) whereas the parties that are more open (SDLP, Ulster Unionists) have been decimated.  

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I think Brexit is a disaster for us here in Ireland.  I think it is also bad news for the UK but worse for us.

The DUP's thinking would be along the line of the right wing Tories who also supported Brexit.  Although politics in Northern Ireland is totally tribal as opposed to left/right.  In recent years the extreme parties have prospered (eg DUP, Sinn Fein) whereas the parties that are more open (SDLP, Ulster Unionists) have been decimated.  

You sound like a Tory MP right now. how do you know that brexit will be worse for Ireland than the UK?

Imports to Belgium are bigger than they are to the UK. we've got morocco back on the grid for exporting which has a massive market that hasn't been available to Ireland for the past 20 years. also, it's not as if brexit will mean the end of trading with the UK. but the better stance is to be within the EU rather than leaving it

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:47am
Be interesting to see if Saordah , the new Anti Agreement Republican Party stand in the elections. Will be no chance of them getting a seat but any party with a long term strategy of securing elected seats will surely put up candidates, assuming they are registered as a political party. I believe Cista, the Cannabis party have let their registration slip

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:06pm

Ulster Unionist Party more open?!

This would be the same party that ever open minded Tom Elliott as their leader?

The Pan Unionist walk out on the Haas negotiations just demonstrates where Unionism is at the moment. No, no, no to everything

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm

The Pan Unionist walk out on the Haas negotiations just demonstrates where Unionism is at the moment. No, no, no to everything

Tom Elliot isn't the UUP leader muff

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:27pm

Tom Elliot isn't the UUP leader muff

He was their leader. 

I thought I typed the word 'had' in. I was speaking in the past tense. Thumbs Up

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net