You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Even looking on this forum the amount of detail some people can go into when debating football is quiet remarkable. It's the equivalent of physicists or political scientists having a debate in their field. Perhaps some peoples minds on here should be put to better use in areas that actually matter.

Who determines what matters though.   Its an exisistentialist question about life.  Who is anyone to tell another person how they should conduct their life and how they should use their brain etc.  In my view the term should is a very dangerous term as it someone how indicates that there is a hierarchy of ways to spend your life.  Within reason, as long as you do not harm or hurt someone else if you wish to talk about football all day c'est la vie.
What has more of an impact in life, political institutions or footballing ones?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:56am

Even looking on this forum the amount of detail some people can go into when debating football is quiet remarkable. It's the equivalent of physicists or political scientists having a debate in their field. Perhaps some peoples minds on here should be put to better use in areas that actually matter.

Who determines what matters though.   Its an exisistentialist question about life.  Who is anyone to tell another person how they should conduct their life and how they should use their brain etc.  In my view the term should is a very dangerous term as it someone how indicates that there is a hierarchy of ways to spend your life.  Within reason, as long as you do not harm or hurt someone else if you wish to talk about football all day c'est la vie.

Well depends do you mean life or do you mean society.  I would say for someone like Messi that football has had a much bigger impact on his life than say political institutions.  However on society, political institutions has a far greater impact on life.  Knowing all of that, who says we should spend more time thinking about the things that have greater impact.  Maybe we should think about the things we enjoy and keep us sane and not hurting others.  Its a dangerous game when we have people using the term should, when it comes to people thought process and how they spend their time. 
AKA pedantic kunt
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:59am
As Camus said, the reason men argue so often and passionatly about football is because they cannot influence it.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:02pm

Well depends do you mean life or do you mean society.  I would say for someone like Messi that football has had a much bigger impact on his life than say political institutions.  However on society, political institutions has a far greater impact on life.  Knowing all of that, who says we should spend more time thinking about the things that have greater impact.  Maybe we should think about the things we enjoy and keep us sane and not hurting others.  Its a dangerous game when we have people using the term should, when it comes to people thought process and how they spend their time. 
That's why i started the sentance with perhaps Smile.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:07pm
So do you think they should or shouldn't spend time talking about football or do you not know. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:07pm
Over short time periods sport can have a significent influence on a country as anyone old enough to remember Italia 90 would testify. The amount of spontaneous goodwill and bonhomie around at that time was amazing, a once in a lifetime experience which will never be replicated........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:11pm

So do you think they should or shouldn't spend time talking about football or do you not know. 
People can do what they like. I just pointed out that the level of detail people can go into on here when debating matters of football that perhaps they would be better served debating politics or some other important issue.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:14pm

People can do what they like. I just pointed out that the level of detail people can go into on here when debating matters of football that perhaps they would be better served debating politics or some other important issue.

Maybe not, what if they spend that time on politics and it resulted in people dying through them using their opinions and actions to take up arms against people. Maybe they are better off using their anger and opinions in an area such as sport rather than on political matters.  There is a website called politics.ie, how do you know that these people are not on there. In addition does a website like politics.ie achieve anything more in the political field than ybig does in the football field or maybe it achieves less.  Maybe the people who are debating football on here actually work in politics and are achieving change in areas and come on here for a relese from that. 

Edited by Baldrick - 23 Apr 2013 at 12:14pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:24pm

Maybe not, what if they spend that time on politics and it resulted in people dying through them using their opinions and actions to take up arms against people. Maybe they are better off using their anger and opinions in an area such as sport rather than on political matters.  There is a website called politics.ie, how do you know that these people are not on there. In addition does a website like politics.ie achieve anything more in the political field than ybig does in the football field or maybe it achieves less.  Maybe the people who are debating football on here actually work in politics and are achieving change in areas and come on here for a relese from that. 
This is just a string of hypothetical statements. Nobody knows the answer to these and if they claim they do than they're talking out their hoop.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:34pm
I agree they are hypothetical statements, just like your original statement indicated by the term perhaps.  

We do not know therefore it is very hard to be suggesting what people should or should not do.  If people want to come on here to talk about football all day, who is anybody to tell them what they should or should not do with their time and who knows if they would or would not be better served by spending their time debating politics. 

Edited by Baldrick - 23 Apr 2013 at 12:35pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:37pm
Some amount of Showboating on this thread..............of course people can showboat if they want to........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 2:59pm
I think most are missing the point.

That point being that the masses are distracted by sport (for example) to deflect their attention away from them being mere pawns for the elite ruling classes.

The same can be said of television, celebrity and music.

He theorises that if we weren't distracted by the above we would wake up to the utter pointless shallow existence we lead.

Marching to our end as slaves to some capitalist ideal we will never (the vast majority anyway) reach. All the while being distracted by mass media and sport as if any of them actually mean anything to our ultimate existence.

Morbid, I know, but that is the point he is trying to make. Not that sport is any better or worse than any other pastime.

Edited by eire77 - 23 Apr 2013 at 3:01pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

That point being that the masses are distracted by sport (for example) to deflect their attention away from them being mere pawns for the elite ruling classes.

He theorises that if we weren't distracted by the above we would wake up to the utter pointless shallow existence we lead.

Marching to our end as slaves to some capitalist ideal we will never (the vast majority anyway) reach. All the while being distracted by mass media and sport as if any of them actually mean anything to our ultimate existence.

Morbid, I know, but that is the point he is trying to make. Not that sport is any better or worse than any other pastime.

yes but the point is that sport and other distractions make the existence we lead more bearable and therefore less shallow .

there will always be ruling classes , people are better off now in most countries than they were before popular media, music and before the cult of sport. the best you can hope for is a nice life.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:15pm
Sport unities people greater than any political party, policy or agenda . If we all talked about politics all day life would be pretty boring . I'm all for taking about world issues , history and politics but sometimes ye got to sit back and not take life too seriously. . that's my take on it anyway.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

I read it slightly differently.

The idea that you are from x so you must support the team of x, which is more prevalent in the US, especially around schools and colleges seems to be his core point. From a young age kids are ordered to do what they are told even if it is as trivial as cheering for the american football team who bully you. This is an indocrination.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

yes but the point is that sport and other distractions make the existence we lead more bearable and therefore less shallow .

there will always be ruling classes , people are better off now in most countries than they were before popular media, music and before the cult of sport. the best you can hope for is a nice life.

You're actually making my point!

You've accepted your lot (not having a go - most of us have too) and will never do anything about it (this is the indoctronation) and are now happy to be distracted by something which makes the whole thing more "bearable".

Fwiw I can't agree that people are better off now. That is definitely not a given. The gap between the haves and the have nots has never been so wide. Most people just don't realise it.

Do media, television, sport (mainly viewing not participating) and consumerism really equate to a greater standard of living than the more socially inclusive communities of times gone by? I'm not so sure.

Edited by eire77 - 23 Apr 2013 at 9:19pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:42pm
But did going to sport not have a major impact on creating those inclusive communities? Its not that simple
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:53pm
Possibly but my point is that it there is a theory that the packaging of sport (and the modern phenomenon of the celebrity sports star) and indeed our news are tools used by the media, governments and big business to provide distraction to the masses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic