Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=44096
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Noam Chomsky
Posted By: seanyshuffler
Subject: Noam Chomsky
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:25am
Was taking a dump on the jacks in the library yesterday and saw this written on the wall.

Sport- it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements. Noam Chomsky

Googled him after and looked at some of his stuff.
Excerpt from a talk given....

''This is an oversimplification, but for the eighty percent or whatever they are, the main thing is to divert them. To get them to watch National Football League. And to worry about "Mother With Child With Six Heads," or whatever you pick up on the supermarket stands and so on. Or look at astrology. Or get involved in fundamentalist stuff or something or other. Just get them away. Get them away from things that matter. And for that it's important to reduce their capacity to think.

Take, say, sports -- that's another crucial example of the indoctrination system, in my view. For one thing because it -- you know, it offers people something to pay attention to that's of no importance. [audience laughs] That keeps them from worrying about -- [applause] keeps them from worrying about things that matter to their lives that they might have some idea of doing something about. And in fact it's striking to see the intelligence that's used by ordinary people in [discussions of] sports [as opposed to political and social issues]. I mean, you listen to radio stations where people call in -- they have the most exotic information [more laughter] and understanding about all kind of arcane issues. And the press undoubtedly does a lot with this.

You know, I remember in high school, already I was pretty old. I suddenly asked myself at one point, why do I care if my high school team wins the football game? [laughter] I mean, I don't know anybody on the team, you know? [audience roars] I mean, they have nothing to do with me, I mean, why I am cheering for my team? It doesn't mean any -- it doesn't make sense. But the point is, it does make sense: it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements -- in fact, it's training in irrational jingoism. That's also a feature of competitive sports. I think if you look closely at these things, I think, typically, they do have functions, and that's why energy is devoted to supporting them and creating a basis for them and advertisers are willing to pay for them and so on.''

Is he speaking out his hole or is there truth in his words?

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:37am
The most respected philosopher and political critic (obviously his enemies think otherwise) of our time Seanie. He has written some great books and all have excellent reviews on Amazon. Interesting to read the negative reviews as they are written by his enemies. What's particularly ironic are the zionists who castigate him when he is of Jewish extraction.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:57am
This man is a genius. He strips away all spin and articulates how most of the world is controlled and the mechanisms used by those in control to manipulate the masses into specific beliefs and thought processes. He avoids ideological rhetoric and rows against the tide of accepted norms.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:20am
Would lean more towards talking out his hole from that extract anyway...

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:24am
His books are well worth a read and even if you do not agree with him on everything he is a fantastic philosopher, political commentator, polemicist, and political agitator. 

Manufacturing consent is well worth a read.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:48am
Agree with Baldrick - The only cavaet i would have is that the ideas he has may be a challenge to accept or even consider for those who accept live as an ostrich.

On the other hand if you accept some of his rationale, he can leave you a sense of total helplessness and deep cynicism of society.......

-------------

Posted By: Andkend
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:52am
I am a fan -

have tried to read alot of his stuff but he's hard going, great bedtime book, you woul nod off fairly quickly.

I enjoy hearing him speak and really respect his views on Israel and the palestine question. i bought Gaza in crisis but have not really had the time to get down and really read it.

What he says about sport is true enough, but the same could be said of music e.t.c but i suppose that involves more personal taste.

I don't think he's saying its bad, just a bit of analysis which is always good.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:53am
There are certain issues he wont go near though, and that's why some would term him as being a 'gate-keeper of the left'.

Anywhoo, that piece above reminded me of a short article I've literally just finished by a spurs fan..

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/4/22/4251988/luis-suarez" rel="nofollow - http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/4/22/4251988/luis-suarez

"Ultimately we're all a bunch of idiots who care way too much about grown manchildren running around chasing a ball. Who are also idiots. And we're all going to act in completely stupid, irrational ways. Some of us just wear different colored kits."

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: Andkend
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

There are certain issues he wont go near though, and that's why some would term him as being a 'gate-keeper of the left'.

Anywhoo, that piece above reminded me of a short article I've literally just finished by a spurs fan..

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/4/22/4251988/luis-suarez" rel="nofollow - http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/4/22/4251988/luis-suarez

"Ultimately we're all a bunch of idiots who care way too much about grown
manchildren running around chasing a ball. Who are also idiots. And
we're all going to act in completely stupid, irrational ways. Some of us
just wear different colored kits."

can't get that link to work, anyone else have problems.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:17am
fully agree that sports fandom can be a distraction from the things that matter , but jaysis life would be utter dung without it

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

"Ultimately we're all a bunch of idiots who care way too much about grown
manchildren running around chasing a ball. Who are also idiots. And
we're all going to act in completely stupid, irrational ways. Some of us
just wear different colored kits."

can't get that link to work, anyone else have problems.

I wouldn't worry about it Andkend. Just more Suarez related gubbins. It was the quote at the end that gave cause for some self-reflection.

-------------

Posted By: coleman's
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:31am
Like what most say, whether you agree with him or not his arguments are very well put forward. I've only read one of his books, a collection of the talks he has given over the years, a bit dated now, but it opened my eyes up to US foreign policy in particular, as I never really paid heed to politics before it

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:33am

He is broadly right. Look at the soap opera that is English football. Its celebrity rather than sport. Historically dictators have used sport, specifically football,  as a social contol mechanism. Even the Gah in Ireland were a cultural fascistic organisation first and foremost.

However, this is clearly not true in all cases. For most of us sport is a fun way to lose the belly, and I really don't think going to Rovers games can be considered as being part of a state sanctioned social control project. The opposit in fact. I think this is through an American view of the world where fan culture isn't politicised.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:33am

I think a sad reflection on society is that people only read books, articles, posts etc that they agree with and avoid things they disagree with.   I think its important for the development of ones brain to read mostly stuff you disagree with as it gives the brain a good work out.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:52am
He believes in 'magic bullets'.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:04am

Even looking on this forum the amount of detail some people can go into when debating football is quiet remarkable. It's the equivalent of physicists or political scientists having a debate in their field. Perhaps some peoples minds on here should be put to better use in areas that actually matter.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Even looking on this forum the amount of detail some people can go into when debating football is quiet remarkable. It's the equivalent of physicists or political scientists having a debate in their field. Perhaps some peoples minds on here should be put to better use in areas that actually matter.

Who determines what matters though.   Its an exisistentialist question about life.  Who is anyone to tell another person how they should conduct their life and how they should use their brain etc.  In my view the term should is a very dangerous term as it someone how indicates that there is a hierarchy of ways to spend your life.  Within reason, as long as you do not harm or hurt someone else if you wish to talk about football all day c'est la vie.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:49am
Baldrick Kierkegaard.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Who determines what matters though.   Its an exisistentialist question about life.  Who is anyone to tell another person how they should conduct their life and how they should use their brain etc.  In my view the term should is a very dangerous term as it someone how indicates that there is a hierarchy of ways to spend your life.  Within reason, as long as you do not harm or hurt someone else if you wish to talk about football all day c'est la vie.
What has more of an impact in life, political institutions or footballing ones?

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:56am

Well depends do you mean life or do you mean society.  I would say for someone like Messi that football has had a much bigger impact on his life than say political institutions.  However on society, political institutions has a far greater impact on life.  Knowing all of that, who says we should spend more time thinking about the things that have greater impact.  Maybe we should think about the things we enjoy and keep us sane and not hurting others.  Its a dangerous game when we have people using the term should, when it comes to people thought process and how they spend their time. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:59am
As Camus said, the reason men argue so often and passionatly about football is because they cannot influence it.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:02pm

Well depends do you mean life or do you mean society.  I would say for someone like Messi that football has had a much bigger impact on his life than say political institutions.  However on society, political institutions has a far greater impact on life.  Knowing all of that, who says we should spend more time thinking about the things that have greater impact.  Maybe we should think about the things we enjoy and keep us sane and not hurting others.  Its a dangerous game when we have people using the term should, when it comes to people thought process and how they spend their time. 
That's why i started the sentance with perhaps Smile.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:07pm
So do you think they should or shouldn't spend time talking about football or do you not know. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:07pm
Over short time periods sport can have a significent influence on a country as anyone old enough to remember Italia 90 would testify. The amount of spontaneous goodwill and bonhomie around at that time was amazing, a once in a lifetime experience which will never be replicated........

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:11pm

So do you think they should or shouldn't spend time talking about football or do you not know. 
People can do what they like. I just pointed out that the level of detail people can go into on here when debating matters of football that perhaps they would be better served debating politics or some other important issue.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:14pm

People can do what they like. I just pointed out that the level of detail people can go into on here when debating matters of football that perhaps they would be better served debating politics or some other important issue.

Maybe not, what if they spend that time on politics and it resulted in people dying through them using their opinions and actions to take up arms against people. Maybe they are better off using their anger and opinions in an area such as sport rather than on political matters.  There is a website called politics.ie, how do you know that these people are not on there. In addition does a website like politics.ie achieve anything more in the political field than ybig does in the football field or maybe it achieves less.  Maybe the people who are debating football on here actually work in politics and are achieving change in areas and come on here for a relese from that. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:24pm

Maybe not, what if they spend that time on politics and it resulted in people dying through them using their opinions and actions to take up arms against people. Maybe they are better off using their anger and opinions in an area such as sport rather than on political matters.  There is a website called politics.ie, how do you know that these people are not on there. In addition does a website like politics.ie achieve anything more in the political field than ybig does in the football field or maybe it achieves less.  Maybe the people who are debating football on here actually work in politics and are achieving change in areas and come on here for a relese from that. 
This is just a string of hypothetical statements. Nobody knows the answer to these and if they claim they do than they're talking out their hoop.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:34pm
I agree they are hypothetical statements, just like your original statement indicated by the term perhaps.  

We do not know therefore it is very hard to be suggesting what people should or should not do.  If people want to come on here to talk about football all day, who is anybody to tell them what they should or should not do with their time and who knows if they would or would not be better served by spending their time debating politics. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:37pm
Some amount of Showboating on this thread..............of course people can showboat if they want to........

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 2:59pm
I think most are missing the point.

That point being that the masses are distracted by sport (for example) to deflect their attention away from them being mere pawns for the elite ruling classes.

The same can be said of television, celebrity and music.

He theorises that if we weren't distracted by the above we would wake up to the utter pointless shallow existence we lead.

Marching to our end as slaves to some capitalist ideal we will never (the vast majority anyway) reach. All the while being distracted by mass media and sport as if any of them actually mean anything to our ultimate existence.

Morbid, I know, but that is the point he is trying to make. Not that sport is any better or worse than any other pastime.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

That point being that the masses are distracted by sport (for example) to deflect their attention away from them being mere pawns for the elite ruling classes.

He theorises that if we weren't distracted by the above we would wake up to the utter pointless shallow existence we lead.

Marching to our end as slaves to some capitalist ideal we will never (the vast majority anyway) reach. All the while being distracted by mass media and sport as if any of them actually mean anything to our ultimate existence.

Morbid, I know, but that is the point he is trying to make. Not that sport is any better or worse than any other pastime.

yes but the point is that sport and other distractions make the existence we lead more bearable and therefore less shallow .

there will always be ruling classes , people are better off now in most countries than they were before popular media, music and before the cult of sport. the best you can hope for is a nice life.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:15pm
Sport unities people greater than any political party, policy or agenda . If we all talked about politics all day life would be pretty boring . I'm all for taking about world issues , history and politics but sometimes ye got to sit back and not take life too seriously. . that's my take on it anyway.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

I read it slightly differently.

The idea that you are from x so you must support the team of x, which is more prevalent in the US, especially around schools and colleges seems to be his core point. From a young age kids are ordered to do what they are told even if it is as trivial as cheering for the american football team who bully you. This is an indocrination.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

yes but the point is that sport and other distractions make the existence we lead more bearable and therefore less shallow .

there will always be ruling classes , people are better off now in most countries than they were before popular media, music and before the cult of sport. the best you can hope for is a nice life.

You're actually making my point!

You've accepted your lot (not having a go - most of us have too) and will never do anything about it (this is the indoctronation) and are now happy to be distracted by something which makes the whole thing more "bearable".

Fwiw I can't agree that people are better off now. That is definitely not a given. The gap between the haves and the have nots has never been so wide. Most people just don't realise it.

Do media, television, sport (mainly viewing not participating) and consumerism really equate to a greater standard of living than the more socially inclusive communities of times gone by? I'm not so sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:42pm
But did going to sport not have a major impact on creating those inclusive communities? Its not that simple

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:53pm
Possibly but my point is that it there is a theory that the packaging of sport (and the modern phenomenon of the celebrity sports star) and indeed our news are tools used by the media, governments and big business to provide distraction to the masses.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 11:43pm
He was speaking just up the road from me in UCD campus 5 days ago and I never knew it. 

I'm sickened. Last realistic chance I can ever get to see him on a public platform. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

He was speaking just up the road from me in UCD campus 5 days ago and I never knew it. 

I'm sickened. Last realistic chance I can ever get to see him on a public platform. 

no he wasn't Confused

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:12am
He sounds like a gas man to go drinking with!! 

“He theorises that if we weren't distracted by watching sport we would wake up to the utter pointless shallow existence we lead. “

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

“He theorises that if we weren't distracted by watching sport we would wake up to the utter pointless shallow existence we lead. “

Double Maxim - You should chat to him about being a Sunderland fan. See how he rationalises that !

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

no he wasn't Confused

Just seen the video again. It was published on July 15th 2018. LOL It was 5 years ago when he spoke Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
Have gotten a few books of his recently and read bits of them here and there, as some are essay types etc 

Would anyone recommend his defining work that everyone should read?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Have gotten a few books of his recently and read bits of them here and there, as some are essay types etc 

Would anyone recommend his defining work that everyone should read?

this documentary is very good, Requiem for the American Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_Ik7OppEI" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_Ik7OppEI

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 12:10pm
Thanks, looks interesting I'll watch it

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

How’s everybody feeling about a life without sport?

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:11pm
Chomsky Clap

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:16pm
Noam Chomsky is an absolute legend Clap

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:19pm
Genuinely the only sport i miss is the local football here in Mayo. Don't miss it at all besides. 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:28pm
M’eh. Overrated.

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

M’eh. Overrated.

course he is you Tory **** 

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

M’eh. Overrated.

I'm absolutely astounded that you'd be negative towards Chomsky Hetfield. LOL

You an Alan Dershowitz fan? Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net