You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noam Chomsky
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:25am
Was taking a dump on the jacks in the library yesterday and saw this written on the wall.

Sport- it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements. Noam Chomsky

Googled him after and looked at some of his stuff.
Excerpt from a talk given....

''This is an oversimplification, but for the eighty percent or whatever they are, the main thing is to divert them. To get them to watch National Football League. And to worry about "Mother With Child With Six Heads," or whatever you pick up on the supermarket stands and so on. Or look at astrology. Or get involved in fundamentalist stuff or something or other. Just get them away. Get them away from things that matter. And for that it's important to reduce their capacity to think.

Take, say, sports -- that's another crucial example of the indoctrination system, in my view. For one thing because it -- you know, it offers people something to pay attention to that's of no importance. [audience laughs] That keeps them from worrying about -- [applause] keeps them from worrying about things that matter to their lives that they might have some idea of doing something about. And in fact it's striking to see the intelligence that's used by ordinary people in [discussions of] sports [as opposed to political and social issues]. I mean, you listen to radio stations where people call in -- they have the most exotic information [more laughter] and understanding about all kind of arcane issues. And the press undoubtedly does a lot with this.

You know, I remember in high school, already I was pretty old. I suddenly asked myself at one point, why do I care if my high school team wins the football game? [laughter] I mean, I don't know anybody on the team, you know? [audience roars] I mean, they have nothing to do with me, I mean, why I am cheering for my team? It doesn't mean any -- it doesn't make sense. But the point is, it does make sense: it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements -- in fact, it's training in irrational jingoism. That's also a feature of competitive sports. I think if you look closely at these things, I think, typically, they do have functions, and that's why energy is devoted to supporting them and creating a basis for them and advertisers are willing to pay for them and so on.''

Is he speaking out his hole or is there truth in his words?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:37am
The most respected philosopher and political critic (obviously his enemies think otherwise) of our time Seanie. He has written some great books and all have excellent reviews on Amazon. Interesting to read the negative reviews as they are written by his enemies. What's particularly ironic are the zionists who castigate him when he is of Jewish extraction.

Edited by colemanY2K - 23 Apr 2013 at 8:41am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:57am
This man is a genius. He strips away all spin and articulates how most of the world is controlled and the mechanisms used by those in control to manipulate the masses into specific beliefs and thought processes. He avoids ideological rhetoric and rows against the tide of accepted norms.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:20am
Would lean more towards talking out his hole from that extract anyway...
@AntrimMan85
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:24am
His books are well worth a read and even if you do not agree with him on everything he is a fantastic philosopher, political commentator, polemicist, and political agitator. 

Manufacturing consent is well worth a read.
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:48am
Agree with Baldrick - The only cavaet i would have is that the ideas he has may be a challenge to accept or even consider for those who accept live as an ostrich.

On the other hand if you accept some of his rationale, he can leave you a sense of total helplessness and deep cynicism of society.......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:52am
I am a fan -

have tried to read alot of his stuff but he's hard going, great bedtime book, you woul nod off fairly quickly.

I enjoy hearing him speak and really respect his views on Israel and the palestine question. i bought Gaza in crisis but have not really had the time to get down and really read it.

What he says about sport is true enough, but the same could be said of music e.t.c but i suppose that involves more personal taste.

I don't think he's saying its bad, just a bit of analysis which is always good.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:53am
There are certain issues he wont go near though, and that's why some would term him as being a 'gate-keeper of the left'.

Anywhoo, that piece above reminded me of a short article I've literally just finished by a spurs fan..

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/4/22/4251988/luis-suarez

"Ultimately we're all a bunch of idiots who care way too much about grown manchildren running around chasing a ball. Who are also idiots. And we're all going to act in completely stupid, irrational ways. Some of us just wear different colored kits."

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

There are certain issues he wont go near though, and that's why some would term him as being a 'gate-keeper of the left'.

Anywhoo, that piece above reminded me of a short article I've literally just finished by a spurs fan..

"Ultimately we're all a bunch of idiots who care way too much about grown
manchildren running around chasing a ball. Who are also idiots. And
we're all going to act in completely stupid, irrational ways. Some of us
just wear different colored kits."

can't get that link to work, anyone else have problems.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:17am
fully agree that sports fandom can be a distraction from the things that matter , but jaysis life would be utter dung without it
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

"Ultimately we're all a bunch of idiots who care way too much about grown
manchildren running around chasing a ball. Who are also idiots. And
we're all going to act in completely stupid, irrational ways. Some of us
just wear different colored kits."

can't get that link to work, anyone else have problems.

I wouldn't worry about it Andkend. Just more Suarez related gubbins. It was the quote at the end that gave cause for some self-reflection.

coleman's View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleman's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:31am
Like what most say, whether you agree with him or not his arguments are very well put forward. I've only read one of his books, a collection of the talks he has given over the years, a bit dated now, but it opened my eyes up to US foreign policy in particular, as I never really paid heed to politics before it
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:33am

He is broadly right. Look at the soap opera that is English football. Its celebrity rather than sport. Historically dictators have used sport, specifically football,  as a social contol mechanism. Even the Gah in Ireland were a cultural fascistic organisation first and foremost.

However, this is clearly not true in all cases. For most of us sport is a fun way to lose the belly, and I really don't think going to Rovers games can be considered as being part of a state sanctioned social control project. The opposit in fact. I think this is through an American view of the world where fan culture isn't politicised.

Edited by roverstillidie - 23 Apr 2013 at 10:35am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:33am

I think a sad reflection on society is that people only read books, articles, posts etc that they agree with and avoid things they disagree with.   I think its important for the development of ones brain to read mostly stuff you disagree with as it gives the brain a good work out.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:52am
He believes in 'magic bullets'.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:04am

Even looking on this forum the amount of detail some people can go into when debating football is quiet remarkable. It's the equivalent of physicists or political scientists having a debate in their field. Perhaps some peoples minds on here should be put to better use in areas that actually matter.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Even looking on this forum the amount of detail some people can go into when debating football is quiet remarkable. It's the equivalent of physicists or political scientists having a debate in their field. Perhaps some peoples minds on here should be put to better use in areas that actually matter.

Who determines what matters though.   Its an exisistentialist question about life.  Who is anyone to tell another person how they should conduct their life and how they should use their brain etc.  In my view the term should is a very dangerous term as it someone how indicates that there is a hierarchy of ways to spend your life.  Within reason, as long as you do not harm or hurt someone else if you wish to talk about football all day c'est la vie.
AKA pedantic kunt
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:49am
Baldrick Kierkegaard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic