You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No easy games in International Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No easy games in International Football
    Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:01pm
This weekend:

Belarus 0-0 France
Faroe's 0-0 Hungary
Kazakhstan 2-2 Poland

Latvia only beat Andorra (FIFA ranked 203) 1-0
Bulgaria needed a 92nd min winner to beat Luxembourg

Yes I know Spain won by 8 etc etc but there is an increasing frequency of poor/average ranked teams getting results

A draw in Serbia wasn't so bad as a result...maybe

Sponsored Links

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

This weekend:

Belarus 0-0 France
Faroe's 0-0 Hungary
Kazakhstan 2-2 Poland

Latvia only beat Andorra (FIFA ranked 203) 1-0
Bulgaria needed a 92nd min winner to beat Luxembourg

Yes I know Spain won by 8 etc etc but there is an increasing frequency of poor/average ranked teams getting results

A draw in Serbia wasn't so bad as a result...maybe

while i'm not so sure on this but as a whole defo there are no real easy games now. even the poor teams are compact and make things difficult. seen some of that france game last night and they were poor. the luxembourg one away in bulgaria was a bit of a suprise.
Shhickey View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shhickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:22pm

No easy games in international football? Absolutely agree.

Draw away to Serbia a good result? Absolutely agree.

But I think what people will have difficulties with is the performance. Think we were quite fortunate to get anything out of the game and seemed to be playing a bit headless for large parts of it. With that in mind, a draw is a fantastic result. Qualifying campaigns are a marathon not a sprint so theres plenty of football to be played.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:39pm
Serbia have a very strong team and I wouldn't class them as minnows.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:42pm
It's all relative at the end of the day it's a results based business we'll be there supporting the boys and MON till the very end....expect many twists and turns in this campaign just like the last
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:02pm
Totally agree with the sentiment.

The problem for me is non-football fans or non-international fans who tink Ireland have some god given right to win every game, and think "I've never heard of Georgia, how did Ireland not whallop them".

Also the strength in international football has changed perception of World Rankings. Previously we'd be expecting to beat anyone below 30ish. Now there's decent teams all the way down to about 100, certainly in UEFA
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:07pm
San Marino, Gibraltar & Liechtenstein should be a walk in the park for any sort of half decent team. 

Luxembourg and Faroe Islands have had some good results over the past few years so I'm not surprised they got decent results this week (I know Luxembourg were beaten last night).

I would never class Belarus or Kazakhstan as whipping boys/minnows. They are always difficult opponents. I've no idea why Serbia are on your list.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:09pm
Check out Asian world cup qualifying, no easy games  in 'international' football ya say..........
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

It's all relative at the end of the day it's a results based business we'll be there supporting the boys and MON till the very end....expect many twists and turns in this campaign just like the last

Definitely. If we'd played wonderful attacking football the other night and created loads of chances but lost 2-1 or 3-2, we'd be in a worse position than we actually are right now. 'Performances' are very little use unless you're getting results as well.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:37pm
Definitely agree with this within UEFA

The top seeds are still great (Germany, France), the bottom seeds are still crap (The rock, Andorra) but what we are seeing is the gap between the 2nd and 5th seeds becoming very narrow.

The pool of player and tactics are much better than 20 years ago.

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Definitely agree with this within UEFA

The top seeds are still great (Germany, France), the bottom seeds are still crap (The rock, Andorra) but what we are seeing is the gap between the 2nd and 5th seeds becoming very narrow.

The pool of player and tactics are much better than 20 years ago.

i don't think France are great, yes they have some excellent players but i would'nt fear them. they were awful last night i thought. Only really Germany and on their day Spain would i really not want to face(within europe now im talking). other than that theres nothing much between a lot of teams.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Totally agree with the sentiment.

The problem for me is non-football fans or non-international fans who tink Ireland have some god given right to win every game, and think "I've never heard of Georgia, how did Ireland not whallop them".

Also the strength in international football has changed perception of World Rankings. Previously we'd be expecting to beat anyone below 30ish. Now there's decent teams all the way down to about 100, certainly in UEFA
Is it beyond the irish players to pass the ball 5 yards to each other during a match? I'm an irish football fan and I do not expect that much.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:10pm
See the Spain and Bosnia results ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

San Marino, Gibraltar & Liechtenstein should be a walk in the park for any sort of half decent team. 

Luxembourg and Faroe Islands have had some good results over the past few years so I'm not surprised they got decent results this week (I know Luxembourg were beaten last night).

I would never class Belarus or Kazakhstan as whipping boys/minnows. They are always difficult opponents. I've no idea why Serbia are on your list.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:03pm
I wasn't classing Serbia as minnows, I was just saying that by the reaction to last nights match, you'd think we were playing minnows.
Some of the minnows are doing well, we were playing a team with a history of players with technique, pedigree and tournament qualification success.
As someone said....we never win in these places (Croatia, Bulgaria etc), very much doubt that Wales and Austria will leave Belgrade with 3 points.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Sorry but your expectations must be low. 
We should be annihilating teams from Pot 5 downwards, the only exception is Georgia away, but everyone knows about that now, it's so predictable they're just going to defend with 11 men in their own half for the entire 90 minutes and maybe snatch a goal if the other teams commits too heavily.
That isn't football, Gibraltar played more positive football than that ffs.

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:24pm
Gibraltar and Andorra are possibly the only 2 'bankers' in European football......the rest is a combination of the weaker teams not being as weak as they were and the stronger teams not being as strong as they were.......8 times out of 10 you'd expect to pick up wins against 4th/5th seeds ....but the odd result will get thrown up, most are capable now in a one off game
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Gibraltar and Andorra are possibly the only 2 'bankers' in European football......the rest is a combination of the weaker teams not being as weak as they were and the stronger teams not being as strong as they were.......8 times out of 10 you'd expect to pick up wins against 4th/5th seeds ....but the odd result will get thrown up, most are capable now in a one off game

San Marino only lost 0-1 at home to Azerbaijan.

I'd still put them as low as Gibraltar and Andorra mind, but there are definitely massive improvements in the weaker teams.

First it was keeping the scoreline down and now it's getting the odd positive result.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic