Subject: No easy games in International Football
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:01pm
This weekend:

Belarus 0-0 France
Faroe's 0-0 Hungary
Kazakhstan 2-2 Poland

Latvia only beat Andorra (FIFA ranked 203) 1-0
Bulgaria needed a 92nd min winner to beat Luxembourg

Yes I know Spain won by 8 etc etc but there is an increasing frequency of poor/average ranked teams getting results

A draw in Serbia wasn't so bad as a result...maybe

Replies:
Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

This weekend:

Belarus 0-0 France
Faroe's 0-0 Hungary
Kazakhstan 2-2 Poland

Latvia only beat Andorra (FIFA ranked 203) 1-0
Bulgaria needed a 92nd min winner to beat Luxembourg

Yes I know Spain won by 8 etc etc but there is an increasing frequency of poor/average ranked teams getting results

A draw in Serbia wasn't so bad as a result...maybe

while i'm not so sure on this but as a whole defo there are no real easy games now. even the poor teams are compact and make things difficult. seen some of that france game last night and they were poor. the luxembourg one away in bulgaria was a bit of a suprise.

Posted By: Shhickey
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:22pm

No easy games in international football? Absolutely agree.

Draw away to Serbia a good result? Absolutely agree.

But I think what people will have difficulties with is the performance. Think we were quite fortunate to get anything out of the game and seemed to be playing a bit headless for large parts of it. With that in mind, a draw is a fantastic result. Qualifying campaigns are a marathon not a sprint so theres plenty of football to be played.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:39pm
Serbia have a very strong team and I wouldn't class them as minnows.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:42pm
It's all relative at the end of the day it's a results based business we'll be there supporting the boys and MON till the very end....expect many twists and turns in this campaign just like the last

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:02pm
Totally agree with the sentiment.

The problem for me is non-football fans or non-international fans who tink Ireland have some god given right to win every game, and think "I've never heard of Georgia, how did Ireland not whallop them".

Also the strength in international football has changed perception of World Rankings. Previously we'd be expecting to beat anyone below 30ish. Now there's decent teams all the way down to about 100, certainly in UEFA

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:07pm
San Marino, Gibraltar & Liechtenstein should be a walk in the park for any sort of half decent team. 

Luxembourg and Faroe Islands have had some good results over the past few years so I'm not surprised they got decent results this week (I know Luxembourg were beaten last night).

I would never class Belarus or Kazakhstan as whipping boys/minnows. They are always difficult opponents. I've no idea why Serbia are on your list.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:09pm
Check out Asian world cup qualifying, no easy games  in 'international' football ya say..........

-------------

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

It's all relative at the end of the day it's a results based business we'll be there supporting the boys and MON till the very end....expect many twists and turns in this campaign just like the last

Definitely. If we'd played wonderful attacking football the other night and created loads of chances but lost 2-1 or 3-2, we'd be in a worse position than we actually are right now. 'Performances' are very little use unless you're getting results as well.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:37pm
Definitely agree with this within UEFA

The top seeds are still great (Germany, France), the bottom seeds are still crap (The rock, Andorra) but what we are seeing is the gap between the 2nd and 5th seeds becoming very narrow.

The pool of player and tactics are much better than 20 years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The top seeds are still great (Germany, France), the bottom seeds are still crap (The rock, Andorra) but what we are seeing is the gap between the 2nd and 5th seeds becoming very narrow.

i don't think France are great, yes they have some excellent players but i would'nt fear them. they were awful last night i thought. Only really Germany and on their day Spain would i really not want to face(within europe now im talking). other than that theres nothing much between a lot of teams.

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Totally agree with the sentiment.

The problem for me is non-football fans or non-international fans who tink Ireland have some god given right to win every game, and think "I've never heard of Georgia, how did Ireland not whallop them".

Also the strength in international football has changed perception of World Rankings. Previously we'd be expecting to beat anyone below 30ish. Now there's decent teams all the way down to about 100, certainly in UEFA
Is it beyond the irish players to pass the ball 5 yards to each other during a match? I'm an irish football fan and I do not expect that much.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:10pm
See the Spain and Bosnia results ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

San Marino, Gibraltar & Liechtenstein should be a walk in the park for any sort of half decent team. 

Luxembourg and Faroe Islands have had some good results over the past few years so I'm not surprised they got decent results this week (I know Luxembourg were beaten last night).

I would never class Belarus or Kazakhstan as whipping boys/minnows. They are always difficult opponents. I've no idea why Serbia are on your list.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:03pm
I wasn't classing Serbia as minnows, I was just saying that by the reaction to last nights match, you'd think we were playing minnows.
Some of the minnows are doing well, we were playing a team with a history of players with technique, pedigree and tournament qualification success.
As someone said....we never win in these places (Croatia, Bulgaria etc), very much doubt that Wales and Austria will leave Belgrade with 3 points.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:12pm

Sorry but your expectations must be low. 
We should be annihilating teams from Pot 5 downwards, the only exception is Georgia away, but everyone knows about that now, it's so predictable they're just going to defend with 11 men in their own half for the entire 90 minutes and maybe snatch a goal if the other teams commits too heavily.
That isn't football, Gibraltar played more positive football than that ffs.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:24pm
Gibraltar and Andorra are possibly the only 2 'bankers' in European football......the rest is a combination of the weaker teams not being as weak as they were and the stronger teams not being as strong as they were.......8 times out of 10 you'd expect to pick up wins against 4th/5th seeds ....but the odd result will get thrown up, most are capable now in a one off game

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Gibraltar and Andorra are possibly the only 2 'bankers' in European football......the rest is a combination of the weaker teams not being as weak as they were and the stronger teams not being as strong as they were.......8 times out of 10 you'd expect to pick up wins against 4th/5th seeds ....but the odd result will get thrown up, most are capable now in a one off game

San Marino only lost 0-1 at home to Azerbaijan.

I'd still put them as low as Gibraltar and Andorra mind, but there are definitely massive improvements in the weaker teams.

First it was keeping the scoreline down and now it's getting the odd positive result.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

We should be annihilating teams from Pot 5 downwards, the only exception is Georgia away, but everyone knows about that now, it's so predictable they're just going to defend with 11 men in their own half for the entire 90 minutes and maybe snatch a goal if the other teams commits too heavily.

Belarus have always been a tough nut in qualifying, between having lads playing in the Russian top flight and regularly in the CL with Bate they aren't a bad side.

The Kazakhs have improved slowly but surely since leaving Asia too, it took a last minute Kevin Doyle strike for us to neat them in Astana!

You also have clubs from the likes of Belarus and Kazakhstan regularly competing at the highest level in Europe. There is big money in Kazakh football at the minute the calibre of player is getting much higher.

We wouldn't destroy either side imo

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 8:50am
These results all show that the European Qualifying groups are by far the hardest to get out of.

While in a way it's good to see the spots 2-5 all becoming much more competitive and close, it's also a worrying trend for us. 

These countries are putting a huge effort in to ensure a good technical and tactical base to build upon and are catching up with the traditional European 'Mid-table' teams like ourselves.  

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:20am

But that is football.. defending is just as much part of the game as attacking. You're not under any obligation to play the game any particular way, once what you do is inside the rules then you can do what you like.. You may not find it attractive, but it most definitely IS football. 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 11:22am
I'd have Gibraltar below the likes of San Marino and Andorra to be honest. No way should they be playing international football in the UEFA zone. They'd be better off doing an Israel and seeing if the AFC or Oceania or somewhere like that will accept them.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 11:53am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

But that is football.. defending is just as much part of the game as attacking. You're not under any obligation to play the game any particular way, once what you do is inside the rules then you can do what you like.. You may not find it attractive, but it most definitely IS football. 

It was more of a figure of speech but the point being is their game plan is bore teams to death with their ultra defensive mindset and it's definitely not fun to observe.
Gibraltar concede tons because they come out to play football and create half chances for themselves, although they are probably the worst nation in UEFA I appreciate that more than sitting back for as 11 for 90 minutes.
It's having personal advantages for the Gibraltar players too, the keeper's now playing in English football, low tier but he's at a Professional English club whereas he was literally a nobody before.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:40am
Not any huge shocks after 1st round of games this weekend, however;

Luxembourg 0-1 Sweden (Lux ranked 145, Swe ranked 41), only a 1 goal win.

Azerbaijan 1-0 Norway (Azer ranked 133, Nor ranked 70).

Scotland 1-1 Lithuania (Sco ranked 44, Lith ranked 117).

Latvia 0-2 Faroes (Lat ranked 95, Faroes ranked 111) I was surprised that the Faroes were ranked this high.

England 2-0 Malta (Eng ranked 12, Malta ranked 176). Can't be too happy with only a 2 goal win over a team ranked 164 places lower than you.

And finally, Ireland 1-0 Georgia (Ire ranked 31, Georgia ranked 137), over 100 places diff in rankings.

By the way Moldova are ranked 161.

No easy games? Or does this prove that the rankings are garbage?

Personally I think the results from Europe and Sth America need to be weighted even higher, as World Cups prove (apart from the odd Asian/African/American quarter or semi finalist) that Europe and Sth America are streets ahead.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:53am
Very few teams in Europe now where teams like ourselves would be expected to win by more than 2 or 3 goals.

I used to do accumulators on international football all the time. The odds were brutal but very rarely would there be an upset.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:59am
There are really only 3-4 whipping boys. Rest will give ourselves a threat.

Not just the minnows but if you look at mid ranked sides and top sides, every group has 4 very good sides with some even with 3 top sides. Will be getting harder and harder to qualify for a world cup. This may be our best chance in a while

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:00am
Lets be honest, Georgia aren't rely the 137th best team in the world, I'd certainly have them in the top 90 or 80. A team that can pass the ball around with the composer they had in the first half are not ranked 137th in the world. Malta had an amazing keeper and England had a yesman coach so yeah. Lithuania I feel will be a tough customer this campaign bare in mind they lead Slovenia 2-0 at half time in there first match. There are no easy games in Europe however I'd say Moldova are as close as you get to one outside of the whipping boys.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:10am
The rankings are just a rule of thumb but they are the best way of estimating a team's ability, Georgia are where they are for a reason. Despite playing very well in their two opening games they have nothing but two losses to show for it, I hope it doesn't affect their confidence tonight.
Most teams in Europe these days have professional coaches and a well organised system, any team that thinks they only have to turn up is in for a rude awakening, especially those thinking about a second game in a double-header etc. I believe an element of that was certainly visible in our players on Thursday and while the buck must stop with the gaffer, I think in this situation it must rest with individuals, the rollicking at half-time had an impact, maybe he should have given it before the game! Hopefully they get it tonight! 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:17am
I think if we had of really required it, we could have stepped up a gear against georgia (e.g. going a goal down or drawing heading into the last few minutes).

Will be interesting to see how Wales do againt them this evening. Hopefully they will use their display (which deserved a point) as a platform to also give Wales a game.

Would predict a wales 2-0 win though

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:23am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think if we had of really required it, we could have stepped up a gear against georgia (e.g. going a goal down or drawing heading into the last few minutes).

Will be interesting to see how Wales do againt them this evening. Hopefully they will use their display (which deserved a point) as a platform to also give Wales a game.

I'm not sure about that, we had too many passengers at that point that the Georgians were on top and had no midfield player willing to take hold of the game, I'm not sure we could have found a way out that easily. I think their confidence will be jaded, two performances where they were the better team and nothing to show for it, hope I am wrong though. I think these games haven't always suited Wales, they seem to prefer to counter, but Bale often pulls them through.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'm not sure about that, we had too many passengers at that point that the Georgians were on top and had no midfield player willing to take hold of the game, I'm not sure we could have found a way out that easily. I think their confidence will be jaded, two performances where they were the better team and nothing to show for it, hope I am wrong though. I think these games haven't always suited Wales, they seem to prefer to counter, but Bale often pulls them through.

They can't rely on that forever. He has dragged them through some games they were really struggling - Andorra springs to mind. I don't honestly think that the night that fails is tonight but it will eventually.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Lets be honest, Georgia aren't rely the 137th best team in the world, I'd certainly have them in the top 90 or 80. A team that can pass the ball around with the composer they had in the first half are not ranked 137th in the world. Malta had an amazing keeper and England had a yesman coach so yeah. Lithuania I feel will be a tough customer this campaign bare in mind they lead Slovenia 2-0 at half time in there first match. There are no easy games in Europe however I'd say Moldova are as close as you get to one outside of the whipping boys.

Yes, I'd have Georgia at around 80 or 90.....maybe at around the same level as that Lithuanian team that drew with Scotland last night.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 2:12pm
I actually disagree, and I feel international football is one of the few categories of international football which provides very easy games. 20 years ago there were plenty of easy games, where the opposition posed little or no threat to teams of moderate quality. I would include the majority of the teams which came about as a result of the break-up of the Soviet Union, and the break up of Yugoslavia. As time went on, a number of these teams improved, and are not part of coterie of teams who will be difficult to beat, even at the best of times, but are still liable to "go down" under strenuous circumstances. Look at Armenia last night against Romania. Armenia are a decent team who were reduced down to 10 men and capitulated. Ditto Estonia in 2011 who fell apart against us in the Play-Offs after20 minutes. Yes, in the mid 1990s these teams did pull off a few noticeable coups (our 1997 defeat to Macedonia, the Netherlands 1-0 defeat to Belarus in 1995, and Wales 5-0 thumping by Georgia in 1995) but these were often explicable, or more down to poor performances by the higher ranked team, rather than any particularly well crafted performances by the lower ranked team.

Today, the likes of Albania have improved to the point of being a recognisably decent team, while Latvia, Slovenia, and Slovakia have all made it through to international tournaments. Estonia have made play-offs. However, for the most part the best results their contemporaries have achieved are against former strong teams who are going through a serious bad patch. Alternatively, they have made it very difficult for stronger teams to win games, and have often pushed them to the wire. Essentially, these are no longer easy games, but I would suggest that these are often games that teams make harder for themselves.

However, in terms of easy games, the likes of Liechtenstein, San Marino, Gibraltar, Kosovo, Luxembourg, and Andorra are "Easy" and should be viewed as such. Anything less than large wins against these teams, for those with realistic aspirations to attend major tournaments, is not acceptable. At second level, teams like Moldova, Faroe Islands, Belarus and Malta would be relatively easy, and beatable. Beyond that, teams like Cyprus, Kazakstan, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Latvia and Finland are banana skins, while former powers like Norway, Bulgaria are beatable, but whose reputation sustains them. After that, no team would be a pushover, and would certainly not be an "easy game".

However, unlike in the European Club game, there are certainly "easy games". Its just the number of such games has greatly diminished as teams have utilised their two decades of experience to render themselves hard to beat.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 2:16pm
Georgia defeated Spain not so long ago.... they also deserved something v Austria. They're a lot better then 80/90 they've improved massively, I believe Serbia will drop points there for definite and Wales, I'm looking forward this evening to see how Wales play v a packed side were they won't be able to counter attack which is their main tactic.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 3:30pm
Malta was not a tough game for England. England finished with 80% possession and Malta registered their first shot in the 88th minute and it was off-target ffs LOL

Just because the scorelines was low doesn't mean it was 'tough' 

If anything Northern Ireland struggled more against San Marino and they ended up with more goals, 1st half was really cagey.

Aside from Gibraltar all the 6th seed teams do is just hoy 11 men in their own box and hope for a draw, and that apparently makes International games 'tougher'  

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

i don't think France are great, yes they have some excellent players but i would'nt fear them. they were awful last night i thought. Only really Germany and on their day Spain would i really not want to face(within europe now im talking). other than that theres nothing much between a lot of teams.

But France like Germany, Spain, Italy etc always qualify for the major tournaments.
It's teams like Switzerland I'm in awe off... they have made the last 3 world cups!

-------------

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm
I'd agree with much of what Het-field says, although I disagree that Kosovo are whipping boys. I know they conceeded 6 the other night but I wouldn't fancy playing them if we needed a win. Football has changed so much in the last seven or eight years with both tactics and physique that if you watch a game from the mid 90s it doesn't compare. However in 2016, I'd consider 'easy' games to be Andorra, Gib, Liechtenstein, Faroes, Malta, San Marino and maaaybe Moldova at a stretch. Anything else for us is tricky since most sides will be technically better than us so we're at a disadvantage from the start. Even teams like Finland, who used to play an old style Scandinavian game are now playing everything on the deck.

The problem I see is that we've done very little to evolve with football, while the other sides are more street-wise and tactically astute. I remember watching us beat Liechtenstein 4 nil at home in 94 and I think we were two goals up in the first couple of minutes, that wouldn't happen today for sure. The changing order in football means that we need to adapt or fall even further behind. 

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 5:02pm
Only games I would see as 'easy' for Ireland are Andorra and San Marino. Anyone else is capable of scoring against us.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Only games I would see as 'easy' for Ireland are Andorra and San Marino. Anyone else is capable of scoring against us.

In reality, we are not good enough to have that many "easy" games. However, there are games that we should win easily, even if we don't rack up large numbers of goals. I would include the likes of Moldova in that. While i suspect we will pull over the line tonight with only a little to spare, in Dublin we should be expecting an easy and without qualification 2/4-0 win.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
Bit of perspective after the post-match meltdown Thursday. Georgia might be a team we expect to beat, they may be ranked a hundred and whatever but they're no whipping boys

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:20pm
Wales were expected to beat Georgia and didn't . Great result for us but still doesn't make our performance anymore exceptableb

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:08pm
Italy were 2-1 down v Macedonia and needed an ET winner for 3-2.

-------------

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:16pm
I think this is a classic example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. International football is no different to club football, there are great teams, terrible teams and everything in between. That pretty much necessitates that there will indeed be a number of "easy matches". The problem is that when you constantly reiterate the mantra that there are "no easy matches", you start to act under that assumption which obviously has psychological consequences that will impact on your performance....

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:50pm
Don't think Macedonia away is an easy game for anybody.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:56pm
Agree there franko, they are ex yugoslav, and they were so good that after the breakup the split nations while not top drawer had to be useful.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:47am

After the results over the last few days it certainly looks like they are no easy games in our group anyway. Fairly crazy that Georgia are the bottom seeds in our group. I watched their game in Cardiff and, as a Welsh player admitted in his post-game interview, Wales were very fortunate to get a point at home to them. They are clearly miles better than the likes of Malta, San Marino etc.

I was also thinking that if you didn't know anything about European football and you watched the first three rounds of fixtures in our group that it wouldn't be too ludicrous to come to the conclusion that Georgia were the strongest side in the group. Very unlucky not to win at home to Austria, definitely should have got something away to us and again unlucky not to beat Wales away. They look to get the ball down and play all the time.

Every team in the group should be beating Moldova at home but apart from that fixture everything else is either tough or a potential banana skin. We probably have the most interesting group in qualifying.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

After the results over the last few days it certainly looks like they are no easy games in our group anyway. Fairly crazy that Georgia are the bottom seeds in our group. I watched their game in Cardiff and, as a Welsh player admitted in his post-game interview, Wales were very fortunate to get a point at home to them. They are clearly miles better than the likes of Malta, San Marino etc.
Been saying for a while that they're miles better than their seedings, and the fact that they're 6th seeds means they always get underestimated by opponents and fans/media.

Posted By: RayHoughton
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm
MON was very defensive over our point against Serbia. Not an easy place to travel too, the old Austrians can vouch for us on that front. But there is no easy game in our group.We hope we don't drop silly points at home to Serbia or Macedonia

-------------
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by RayHoughton RayHoughton wrote:

MON was very defensive over our point against Serbia. Not an easy place to travel too, the old Austrians can vouch for us on that front. But there is no easy game in our group.We hope we don't drop silly points at home to Serbia or Macedonia

Rather drop them to Macedonia than anyone in our group LOL

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:50pm
Not major shocks this weekend, in fact our win in Austria was probably the biggest shock (betting odds wise - 3/1).

Only Estonia (1-8 v Belgium)
And San Marino (0-8 v Germany)
Getting a real hiding.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:53pm
Gibraltar only beaten 3-1 by Cyprus and Faroe's only losing 2-0 to Switzerland.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:59pm

Had Cyprus -2.Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:01pm

Had Cyprus -2.Dead
Same here, also had the Swiss -2. Never as bad when two of them f**k it up.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:27pm

Had Cyprus -2.Dead
Same here, also had the Swiss -2. Never as bad when two of them f**k it up.
Would have been a nice one too.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:36pm
I watched the Belgium vs Estonia game, now don't get me wrong Estonia were at times guilty of giving away possession far too easily but what I witnessed tonight from Belgium was one of the most complete performances I have seen in international football in years. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:45pm
No real upsets last night.
Bulgaria 2-0 Holland tonight has to be a bit of an upset, let's hope Holland finish in 3rd or 4th in their group so we don't potentially get them in a playoff.
Luxembourg 1-3 France, France only got their 3rd goal with 13 mins to go.

How do Switzerland keep on getting to finals?
This campaign, P5 W5.
Qualified for last 3 World Cups
Qualified for 3 of last 4 Euro's (one as host).
What are they doing right that a lot of other "middle order" European teams can't do with such regularity?

And Greece?
Qualified for Euro 2004 2008 2012, then had a stinker of a campaign for 2016 (finishing 6th in a group containing Faroe's, Finland, Norn Iron.
Qualified for WC 2010 2014.
Now looking good for at least a playoff in this campaign.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:52pm
The Swiss piss me off no end. Always seem to qualify with ease and then do fook all then they get there

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:02pm
They were a mid-ranking european team who missed as many if not more finals that they qualified for, until the Swiss started monopolising running FIFA about 15 years ago. I would love to have got the groups they have in that period. Curious.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Swiss piss me off no end. Always seem to qualify with ease and then do fook all then they get there

Plus 1
They have some record of qualifying without any great players.
Whatever they are doing it's working.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:04pm
To be fair, Switzerland on paper are a very good side. Not as good as the top nations but are definitely in that second bracket.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

To be fair, Switzerland on paper are a very good side. Not as good as the top nations but are definitely in that second bracket.
defo. Have some very good players.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:44am

And England.

At least the Swiss don't pedal the belief that they will win it.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:10pm

"500 years of democracy and all they came up with was the cuckoo clock"

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

and Toblerone ........................and

no, that's it.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I know you are merely quoting a classic but they are technically German.

-------------

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:47pm
The Third Man?

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:26pm
Roger Federer too

but that's definitely it......they're not the Romans..and this isn't a Monty Python sketch.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:39pm
That England line up is the worst I've ever seen.
They really have fallen in the last 5-10 years.
Remember the teams they had for Euro 96 and up to 2006.

Not this campaign but they will miss out on a WC soon unless a flood of new players come in.

-------------

Posted By: deebee
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:34pm
San Marino 4 down at home after 25 mins Confused

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by deebee deebee wrote:

San Marino 4 down at home after 25 mins Confused

Northern Ireland should be thanking San Marino for keeping the Czech's out....

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:16pm
Did Czech -3 in my bet, really should have it at -5 which was the normal handicap. Had England & Germany-1 each in a treble as well.

Threw a few quid on Slovakia, Poland & Scotland.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:20pm

Did Czech -3 in my bet, really should have it at -5 which was the normal handicap. Had England & Germany-1 each in a treble as well.

Poland seem very short for such a tricky game. I can't see Scotland winning either.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:26pm

Poland seem very short for such a tricky game. I can't see Scotland winning either.

Have Armenia, Poland and Slovenia (Armenia already won) at 17/2. Poland should be winning in Montenegro, and Slovenia too big a price for the shambles Scotland are at  the minute.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:37pm

Slovenia were very good at home to England and should have won. I think they'll beat Scotland Tonight.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Have Armenia, Poland and Slovenia (Armenia already won) at 17/2. Poland should be winning in Montenegro, and Slovenia too big a price for the shambles Scotland are at  the minute.
Have Slovenia dnb and a small acca on Slovenia, the pub team, Slovakia -1 and btts in the Polish game. 16/1. I think the north will sneak it against an average Norway.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:09pm
Estonia just beat Croatia 3-0 in a friendly, it wasn't Croatia's strongest eleven by any means but still.
While in Asia our old foes Oman beat Bhutan 14-0, that was always a tricky one for Bhutan.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:23pm
Still early doors but.....

Andorra 1-0 Hungary....Magyars can't be happy with that.
Gibraltar 1-1 Cyprus......Cypriots must fancy a rare away win.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:51pm
Greece 1-1 Liechtenstein
Romania 1-0 Malta
Turkey 1-0 Andorra (89th min winner)
Belgium took 43 mins to score against San Marino

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:03pm
Yep Greece let me down in my Bet. Italy only beat Finland 2-1 tonight too. No more Minnows really it makes our poor games against Gibraltar look all the better. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:23pm
Since the beginning of the Euro 2024 campaign in March this year alone the following have pulled off results.

Moldova 3-2 Poland
Bosnia 0-2 Luxembourg
Slovakia 0-0 Luxembourg
N.Ireland 0-1 Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan 3-2 Denmark
Wales 2-4 Armenia
Georgia 1-1 Norway

...Yet we still have a section of deluded fans thinking we have some sort of right to beating these nations every single time we face them. Not only beating mind, thinking we should be hammering them.

Theres also been half a dozen results where other nations had a "get out of jail" moment to come away with the win against the "minnows" of Europe.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 12:40am
I think the bottom seeds are games that you can expect
To win like we did last night.  After that it gets tricky for sides like us.  We need more authoritative players. You see Robertson for Scotland.  He is the boss in the pitch because he knows he is talented and loves the leadership.  Coleman is the same but not as good but performs above himself and does that for others. We have no one else like
That in the group. McClean and Egan are great characters but they don’t make others play better and just boss 5th and 4th seeds like Robertson does.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net