Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No competitive games until September 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:22pm
Probably another friendly early June, before the teams head off to the World Cup. I'm sure some will want to test themselves against us. Expect it to be away.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Asked in another thread but will do so here to. Will our next game be march 18?

Probably will - a friendly in late March against opposition Oman

fixed

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:39pm
Just realised I won’t be putting my Ireland flags on the car next June.
Have just unfollowed all World Cup related twitter feeds.
Am not going to buy the WC Panini sticker album.
Won’t watch the WC draw on Dec 1st.
Still too raw.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'm not having any of this 'Nations Cup' garbage. They will be glorified friendliest at best. Qualification for Euro 2020 doesn't start until March 2019, and that is seriously depressing. We have no competitive games until then, almost 18 months away.

Agreed. Even the Rugby marketing lads, acknowledged experts in the field,  would have bother selling the idea that these games mean something in the bigger scheme of things. The fact they actually do mean something is neither here nor there, tis too complicated a system to draw in the casual fan. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:15am
The thing annoying me is the vast stretch of nothingness in front of us, we have the league of nations in 2018, all 4 games of them, a qualifying campaign in 2019, possibly more playoffs of some sort, and all this to qualify for 2 games in Dublin and one in maybe Glasgow.  I think the 2020 concept is a load of bollix anyway, so I'm not particularly excited about that.  

Then we have the WC in Qatar in 2022, which sounds like it will be sanitised bollix in a cultureless wasteland, that's before we get in to the human rights issues, or their attitude to women as 2nd class citizens and all the rest. Russia, for all its faults, was the last tournament worth going to until 2024 rolls around. That's truly a long way away. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

The thing annoying me is the vast stretch of nothingness in front of us, we have the league of nations in 2018, all 4 games of them, a qualifying campaign in 2019, possibly more playoffs of some sort, and all this to qualify for 2 games in Dublin and one in maybe Glasgow.  I think the 2020 concept is a load of bollix anyway, so I'm not particularly excited about that.  

Then we have the WC in Qatar in 2022, which sounds like it will be sanitised bollix in a cultureless wasteland, that's before we get in to the human rights issues, or their attitude to women as 2nd class citizens and all the rest. Russia, for all its faults, was the last tournament worth going to until 2024 rolls around. That's truly a long way away. 

6 games, including 3 aways. 

Nout wrong with euro 2020 either, two games in dublin, so? still the euros, and two games that will be handy to get to. Is it all about the away experience for ye?

Edited by SimonCox - 16 Nov 2017 at 12:27am
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:24am
There's the realisation we won't even qualify for Euro 2020. There's only 24 spaces and sadly some teams have too miss out. Holland, Denmark, Serbia, Israel and Scotland didn't make Euro 2016 and i doubt they will miss Euro 2020 too
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:35am

All fair points. That's a depressingly accurate picture you've painted there LOL
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

There's the realisation we won't even qualify for Euro 2020. There's only 24 spaces and sadly some teams have too miss out. Holland, Denmark, Serbia, Israel and Scotland didn't make Euro 2016 and i doubt they will miss Euro 2020 too

Why would Israel and Scotland suddenly be qualifying ahead of us?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

All fair points. That's a depressingly accurate picture you've painted there LOL
Just wish that Des gets it wrong sometimes but he is spot on with what he said .

Makes you wonder how many season tickets we will sell next year ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:59am
There won't be any ticket issues anyway. I reckon FD and SC will have as big a percentage as they want for the foreseeable future
AKA pedantic kunt
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:10am
They won't be able to give away the things. The next Season Ticket will be for the Nations League games and if O'Neill is still in charge (regardless of your views on him) then you'll see sales nosedive off a cliff. It'll be their lowest uptake by far since their introduction. 

Now is the time to bring in the next manager to allow him the 17/18 months to integrate new players into the squad. At least that way you might be able to get a bit of optimism back.

stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:22am
15,000 season tickets at present. Interesting to see what it will be next campaign
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by SimonCox SimonCox wrote:

Nout wrong with euro 2020 either, two games in dublin, so? still the euros, and two games that will be handy to get to. Is it all about the away experience for ye?

Our division is only 4 games, two home and two away.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Originally posted by SimonCox SimonCox wrote:

Our division is only 4 games, two home and two away.

plus 2 friendlies which is where I reckon Simon is coming from.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

15,000 season tickets at present. Interesting to see what it will be next campaign

Cant see if droping to much as on the 2018-2019 season ticket youll get both Nations league and the start of the Euro qualifiers which depending on the draw and fixtures might even increase it.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
All depends really when euro 2020 qualifying draw is. ST go on sale in March / April time. If the draw is after that then sales might be sluggish as supporters won't know who we'll be playing in March 19.

Edited by colemanY2K - 16 Nov 2017 at 8:49am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:20am
Draw for qualifiers is December 2018
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic