Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55885
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 4:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: No competitive games until September 2018
Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Subject: No competitive games until September 2018
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:50pm
I'm not having any of this 'Nations Cup' garbage. They will be glorified friendliest at best. Qualification for Euro 2020 doesn't start until March 2019, and that is seriously depressing. We have no competitive games until then, almost 18 months away.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'm not having any of this 'Nations Cup' garbage. They will be glorified friendliest at best. Qualification for Euro 2020 doesn't start until March 2019, and that is seriously depressing. We have no competitive games until then, almost 18 months away.

Their's qualification spots available through it

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:56pm
Need to treat the Nations League as competitive though. Good preparation.

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm
Whens the draw for the nations cup/league

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Whens the draw for the nations cup/league

January. Could get the Danes again   

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Need to treat the Nations League as competitive though. Good preparation.

Win the sub-group and we'd have a play-off to fall back on (yeah, I know... ) in case we don't make the top 2 in regular Euro 2020 qualifiers, whether we're dumped into the group from Hell or we f**k up another favourable group.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:02pm
Season tickets are going to be a hard sell next year. Will be back to post Euro 2012 levels soon I'd imagine.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
If you do well in the Nations League it can get you a qualification spot down the road.
Nations League games Sept Oct Nov 2018 - competitive games.
Whether they are used to try new players/formations/managers etc is up to each country, but they are competitive games.
If come the normal qualification we don’t make it (ie. finish in the top 2 to gain automatic qualification, as there are no playoffs for Euro’s) we could have the Nation League back door way in.
Imagine the comments on here if we don’t finish in the top 2 thru normal qualification, you’ll have posters saying “ahh it’s a pity we didn’t take the Nations League seriously”.

Qualification for Euro 2020 therefore begins in about 10 months - Sept 2018.

Nations League draw: 24th Jan 2018 in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
Teams we can get in the Nations league :

Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

Russia and Ukraine cant we in the same group as well

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

...Republic of Ireland... 

We'd hammer that shower.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:09pm
Wouldn't be too disappointed with Austria and Northern Ireland

-------------

Posted By: Colum
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:27pm

Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

Russia and Ukraine cant we in the same group as well
I think there are seedings within each group so we would get one of Austria, Wales, Russia or Slovakia and one of NI, Denmark, Czechs or Turkey and can't get Sweden, Ukraine or Bosnia.

If that's not right I better go back and read more as I thought I had finally figured it out.

Incidentally it's technically possible for us to play Denmark (or NI, Czech Rep. or Turkey) in Nations League, main qualifiers and the playoffs/finals themselves.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:31pm
I was under assumption initially that it wasn't seeded (going by Football Manager logic) but a few on here who actually read the small print of things have said it's seeded so I'll go with that.

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
slovakia and norn irn please

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:18pm

Ffs that's depressing. 

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:19pm
I want Bosnia and the Czech Republic some great trips!

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Ffs that's depressing. 

Especially when we draw NI and Wales in our group, still gives us a chance to retain the Carling Cup.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:31pm
I would treat them as important but less important than the full qualifiers. We shouldn't play a B team, but we should be trying new players. For example, if the games were this week and everyone was fit I'd rather we had a team like:

Elliot
Coleman--Duffy--Rice--Brady
McCarthy--Arter--Henderick
Maguire--Hogan--O'Dowda

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:51pm
I can gaurentee the players won't go the full hog in these games. I get that they are a route to the play offs but the real business is March 2019

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
This nations league sounds mickey mouse alright. Hard to get excited about it.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:18pm

I can gaurentee the players won't go the full hog in these games. I get that they are a route to the play offs but the real business is March 2019
You going to drug them?

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:23pm
I liked the idea of the Nations Cup, anything that is trying to remove the tedium of friendlies is great, but this attempt to tie it in with qualifying, and the manner it has been done, is farcical. It is highly likely that next summer will be the last tournament I have a proper interest in, so it is an absolute sickener to miss out.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I liked the idea of the Nations Cup, anything that is trying to remove the tedium of friendlies is great, but this attempt to tie it in with qualifying, and the manner it has been done, is farcical. It is highly likely that next summer will be the last tournament I have a proper interest in, so it is an absolute sickener to miss out.

Between the rediculous idea of EURO 2020, and a winter World Cup in Qatar, this could be the last proper tournament for six years. Have they announced where EURO 2024 is going to be held?

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Between the rediculous idea of EURO 2020, and a winter World Cup in Qatar, this could be the last proper tournament for six years. Have they announced where EURO 2024 is going to be held?

Yep, Sealand. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Old Gill
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

I want Bosnia and the Czech Republic some great trips!

Is Bosnia a good trip?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:37pm
Is it not conceivable that we could be at home for our first two Nations League games? Doesn’t one team from the three per group, host the whole thing?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:38pm
No games are home and away

-------------

Posted By: Old Gill
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:40pm

Germany or Turkey

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Old Gill Old Gill wrote:

Germany or Turkey
Probably both

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:42pm
It will be Germany. No chance will UEFA give it to the Turks. Sure that's one of the reasons EURO 2020 hosting came about. Turkey were the only country to make a serious bid IIRC

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It will be Germany. No chance will UEFA give it to the Turks. Sure that's one of the reasons EURO 2020 hosting came about. Turkey were the only country to make a serious bid IIRC
Plus they've introduced a Human Rights element to selection process.

Posted By: stokeirish
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:58pm
Asked in another thread but will do so here to. Will our next game be march 18?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Probably will - a friendly in late March against opposition TBA (probably after the world cup draw).

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Probably will - a friendly in late March against opposition Oman
fixed

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

...Republic of Ireland... 

We'd hammer that shower.

Depressing thing is that's what everyone are saying.....everyone knows we can't play football, can talk about heart and fight all day long but I've always found it extremely patronizing because behind it all you know there's a glib smirk

We're in a bad place on the International scene

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:17pm

Probably will - a friendly in late March against opposition TBA (probably after the world cup draw).

Cheers mate 👍

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:22pm
Probably another friendly early June, before the teams head off to the World Cup. I'm sure some will want to test themselves against us. Expect it to be away.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:25pm

Probably will - a friendly in late March against opposition Oman

fixed

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:39pm
Just realised I won’t be putting my Ireland flags on the car next June.
Have just unfollowed all World Cup related twitter feeds.
Am not going to buy the WC Panini sticker album.
Won’t watch the WC draw on Dec 1st.
Still too raw.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:44pm

Agreed. Even the Rugby marketing lads, acknowledged experts in the field,  would have bother selling the idea that these games mean something in the bigger scheme of things. The fact they actually do mean something is neither here nor there, tis too complicated a system to draw in the casual fan. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:15am
The thing annoying me is the vast stretch of nothingness in front of us, we have the league of nations in 2018, all 4 games of them, a qualifying campaign in 2019, possibly more playoffs of some sort, and all this to qualify for 2 games in Dublin and one in maybe Glasgow.  I think the 2020 concept is a load of bollix anyway, so I'm not particularly excited about that.  

Then we have the WC in Qatar in 2022, which sounds like it will be sanitised bollix in a cultureless wasteland, that's before we get in to the human rights issues, or their attitude to women as 2nd class citizens and all the rest. Russia, for all its faults, was the last tournament worth going to until 2024 rolls around. That's truly a long way away. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: SimonCox
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

The thing annoying me is the vast stretch of nothingness in front of us, we have the league of nations in 2018, all 4 games of them, a qualifying campaign in 2019, possibly more playoffs of some sort, and all this to qualify for 2 games in Dublin and one in maybe Glasgow.  I think the 2020 concept is a load of bollix anyway, so I'm not particularly excited about that.  

Then we have the WC in Qatar in 2022, which sounds like it will be sanitised bollix in a cultureless wasteland, that's before we get in to the human rights issues, or their attitude to women as 2nd class citizens and all the rest. Russia, for all its faults, was the last tournament worth going to until 2024 rolls around. That's truly a long way away. 

6 games, including 3 aways. 

Nout wrong with euro 2020 either, two games in dublin, so? still the euros, and two games that will be handy to get to. Is it all about the away experience for ye?

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:24am
There's the realisation we won't even qualify for Euro 2020. There's only 24 spaces and sadly some teams have too miss out. Holland, Denmark, Serbia, Israel and Scotland didn't make Euro 2016 and i doubt they will miss Euro 2020 too

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:35am

All fair points. That's a depressingly accurate picture you've painted there LOL

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

There's the realisation we won't even qualify for Euro 2020. There's only 24 spaces and sadly some teams have too miss out. Holland, Denmark, Serbia, Israel and Scotland didn't make Euro 2016 and i doubt they will miss Euro 2020 too

Why would Israel and Scotland suddenly be qualifying ahead of us?

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

All fair points. That's a depressingly accurate picture you've painted there LOL
Just wish that Des gets it wrong sometimes but he is spot on with what he said .

Makes you wonder how many season tickets we will sell next year ?

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:59am
There won't be any ticket issues anyway. I reckon FD and SC will have as big a percentage as they want for the foreseeable future

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:10am
They won't be able to give away the things. The next Season Ticket will be for the Nations League games and if O'Neill is still in charge (regardless of your views on him) then you'll see sales nosedive off a cliff. It'll be their lowest uptake by far since their introduction. 

Now is the time to bring in the next manager to allow him the 17/18 months to integrate new players into the squad. At least that way you might be able to get a bit of optimism back.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:22am
15,000 season tickets at present. Interesting to see what it will be next campaign

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by SimonCox SimonCox wrote:

Nout wrong with euro 2020 either, two games in dublin, so? still the euros, and two games that will be handy to get to. Is it all about the away experience for ye?

Our division is only 4 games, two home and two away.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Originally posted by SimonCox SimonCox wrote:

Our division is only 4 games, two home and two away.

plus 2 friendlies which is where I reckon Simon is coming from.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:44am

15,000 season tickets at present. Interesting to see what it will be next campaign

Cant see if droping to much as on the 2018-2019 season ticket youll get both Nations league and the start of the Euro qualifiers which depending on the draw and fixtures might even increase it.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
All depends really when euro 2020 qualifying draw is. ST go on sale in March / April time. If the draw is after that then sales might be sluggish as supporters won't know who we'll be playing in March 19.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:20am
Draw for qualifiers is December 2018

Posted By: BippityBoop
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:27am
Any guesses as to how much the season tickets will be next year factoring in Nations League?

Posted By: wicklowrunner
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

The draw for the Nations league will take place in Lausanne on Jan. 24

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:57am

Agreed. Even the Rugby marketing lads, acknowledged experts in the field,  would have bother selling the idea that these games mean something in the bigger scheme of things. The fact they actually do mean something is neither here nor there, tis too complicated a system to draw in the casual fan. 
I couldn't care less what the casual fan thinks tbh*. The structure of the competition is certainly complicated and I'm dreading having to explain the ins and outs of it when I'm home at Christmas and in January when the draw is made. Perhaps I should invest in a pen and paper for illustrative purposes LOL. How-and-ever as complicated as it is the dedicated football supporter will continue to buy the season ticket for the NL and first couple of Euro 2020 qualifiers. I'm not the greatest at making predictions but put to the wall I would be shocked if ST sales dropped.

FWIW I disagree with zizu and to a certain extent yourself Deise (Above I put in bold 'Agreed' as I assume you agree with zizu that the NL is a bunch of glorified friendlies). For a start the NL provides Ireland with an outside chance of qualifying for Euro 2020 should we falter in 2019. Secondly not taking it seriously is likely to result in poor performances which are likely to lead to poor results against teams ranked above us and below us. This will have negative impact on our ranking and likely to drop us a seeding or two. See where I'm going here? Screw up the NL and we are potentially screwing up our chances of a getting a favourable group in 2019. For arguments sake imagine we dropped to 4th seeds again and imagine we drew the same teams as the WC qualifying group just gone with the following exception... Wales replaced by Spain or Germany or France or another equally tough top seed. Qualifying would be an utter nightmare.

Now here comes another kick in the stones. A poor performance in the NL will likely result in us finishing bottom of our group of 3 which will mean relegation to League C. FIFA has announced the NL format will be used for WC 2022 qualifying. Straight away we've diminished our chances of qualifying. The only upside is we'll have an easier NL group which in turn improves our chances of winning the League C playoffs. However, because we fooked up the Euro 2020 NL and subsequently ended up with a tough Euro 2020 qualifying group and because of that we finished outside the automatic qualification spots our ranking will be diminished further. We would likely end up, at best, in an equally tough qualifying group for 2022 qualifying.

Granted its not easy to get your head around the new competition format but it needs to be impressed on people that NL has to be taken seriously. Screwing it up will do medium to long term damage to our chances of qualifying for the next two major tournaments.    

*although it can be mildly infuriating chatting to donuts after a match in various watering holes in Dublin and having to listen to them spew verbal diarrhea about the team. Invariably rugby is thrown out as some sort of leading light with regards to sporting and entertaining excellence.  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

The draw for the Nations league will take place in Lausanne on Jan. 24
I was referring to the qualifiers when I asked the question and it dawned on me when I was typing my previous post that they had to be after the NL is finished (for ranking / seeding purposes).

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:00am
I'd say ST tickets will plummet . Don't forget the joe soaps that have been buying them for the past few years and were not looked after for certain games . It's not as if you are guaranteed tickets for the crunch games . Bringing in criteria that obviously a couple of hundred only made was a dirty trick . Does any know how many tickets were issued for the 6 plus ?

Posted By: Ken De Mange
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:02am
The bandwagon has come to a halt, they will be jumping off at every turn.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:11am

What the hell????

So we won't even know our next competitive fixture for another whole year Cry

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:46am
This is depressing. The guts of 18 moths before we have a proper match.  Why couldn't they leave things alone??  That Gianni Infantino is some muppet. Who is head of UEFA these days?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:50am
How does the nations league and qualifying for the Euros actually work?
Can anyone simplify it in a few sentences?
I haven't been bothered to read any of it yet

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:51am
The possible teams we can play in the nations league are teams we have played in the last few years too.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

This is depressing. The guts of 18 moths before we have a proper match.  Why couldn't they leave things alone??  That Gianni Infantino is some muppet. Who is head of UEFA these days?
Alexander Ceferin of Slovenia but the NL was Michel Platini's baby.

-------------

Posted By: PanamaHat
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:01am

If we win our Nations League group and fail to finish in the top 2 of our Euro 2020 group, we will have the opportunity to qualify for the Euros via a one leg semi final and one leg final in March 2020 with the other Winners of the Uefa Nations 'B' Groups.

It is also pretty likely if we finish 2nd in the Nations League group we will have also have the out of the March 2020 playoffs.

So the Nations League, especially for teams like us, is actually something we should look forward too and use as an additional route to qualify for the Euros.
It also leaves MON or new manager with very few excuses if we don't qualify for 2020!

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:03am
as deise Said 1st real tournament we can qualify is 2024 as 2020 is an absolute disaster for anyone who has been at Previous tournaments where you actually get to experience other countries and cultures rather than a day trip to Dublin where the prices will shoot through the roof for everything.

More depressed today than yesterday to be honest and season ticket sales for next year will plummet after the shafting of so many in Denmark.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by PanamaHat PanamaHat wrote:

If we win our Nations League group and fail to finish in the top 2 of our Euro 2020 group, we will have the opportunity to qualify for the Euros via a one leg semi final and one leg final in March 2020 with the other Winners of the Uefa Nations 'B' Groups.

It is also pretty likely if we finish 2nd in the Nations League group we will have also have the out of the March 2020 playoffs.

So the Nations League, especially for teams like us, is actually something we should look forward too and use as an additional route to qualify for the Euros.
It also leaves MON or new manager with very few excuses if we don't qualify for 2020!

And how many teams will be in the NL groups?

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:07am

3 per group! Home and Away legs. And in the 'B' group playoffs we would only play other 'B' group teams.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:09am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Alexander Ceferin of Slovenia but the NL was Michel Platini's baby.

Makes sense. Another muppet.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:11am
A grim 18 months ahead alright

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

A grim 18 months ahead alright
its not that bad, we'll have few home games a few pints before and after, hopefully a few wins, an away game with no ticket problems ...it will be grim if we loose games,

-------------
Come on Irelind

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:46am
Looking forward to the Nations League tbh... although the away trips will not be as interesting as Moldova and Georgia.

The worst thing for me is the 9 month wait for the next competitive match.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:52am

3 per group! Home and Away legs. And in the 'B' group playoffs we would only play other 'B' group teams.

4 team groups for teams in League's C & D.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
I reckon the Nations League to Qualifiers will be what GAA Football League is to Championship. Good games, with a few new faces on both sides, but missing the glitz and glammer of the main events.

On the ST issues, I reckon there'll be a few that will buy them with a view to having a better chance of getting tickets to the home games at Euro 2020.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I reckon the Nations League to Qualifiers will be what GAA Football League is to Championship. Good games, with a few new faces on both sides, but missing the glitz and glammer of the main events.
On the ST issues, I reckon there'll be a few that will buy them with a view to having a better chance of getting tickets to the home games at Euro 2020.

Shhh keep that to yourself  Big smile

There will be the mother of all sh*t shows should we qualify for 2020.

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Granted its not easy to get your head around the new competition format but it needs to be impressed on people that NL has to be taken seriously. Screwing it up will do medium to long term damage to our chances of qualifying for the next two major tournaments.

Yes, but if it's complicated for us, try explaining it to MON.

This is someone who wasted 10 months of prep time prior to the Euro qualifiers, going through the motions in friendlies. He had no idea that going 8 games without a win largely contributed to being 4th seeds in the group.

The NL is designed to replace the monotony of friendlies, when already weakened teams are changed after half time, turning half decent games into walking pace non events. There is a competitive element to them, and they should be taken seriously.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:06pm
Lads, Im changing the title of this thread. Everytime I see it, it makes my heart sink. I'm sure it's doing nothing for the mood of any other poster here. 

And 2019 is incorrect. The Euro 2020 qualifiers will not be allowing 3rd place teams into playoffs anymore. That's because there are qualifying places up for grabs in the Nations League. The Nations League games serve as a route to the Euros, and the better we do in it the better chance we have of nicking a playoff, of improving our seeding for the qualifying groups proper, and of improving our seeding for the subsequent World Cup qualifiers. 

The Nations League is therefore a competitive tournament. It may be convoluted, and 90% of people may not understand it. I took time to read up on it a while back, and now it makes sense. 

It's a very real opportunity to get to the Euros, we can't afford to turn down any chance to get there.

Changing thread title.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:06pm
Surely Stephen Ireland is due a vague statement shortly saying how he might be interested in playing for Ireland again but only if the new manager crawls and begs him to play.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:07pm

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:19pm
4 games versus teams on our "level" too.
The nations league is an incredible idea and I cannot wait for September.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Lads, Im changing the title of this thread. Everytime I see it, it makes my heart sink. I'm sure it's doing nothing for the mood of any other poster here. 

And 2019 is incorrect. The Euro 2020 qualifiers will not be allowing 3rd place teams into playoffs anymore. That's because there are qualifying places up for grabs in the Nations League. The Nations League games serve as a route to the Euros, and the better we do in it the better chance we have of nicking a playoff, of improving our seeding for the qualifying groups proper, and of improving our seeding for the subsequent World Cup qualifiers. 

The Nations League is therefore a competitive tournament. It may be convoluted, and 90% of people may not understand it. I took time to read up on it a while back, and now it makes sense. 

It's a very real opportunity to get to the Euros, we can't afford to turn down any chance to get there.

Changing thread title.
Every reason to take the NL seriously and try to win that mini-group - we could be glad of that play-off to fall back on if we get landed with a nightmarish Euro 2020 qualifying group (like the WC18 one with Ned/Fra/Swe or the one with Spain & Italy), where any hopes of making the top 2 are pretty much flushed down the toilet before that competition has even started. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:57pm
NL seems to have a lot of knockers but anything that gives games a bit more meaning is ok in my book and surely to win a group is incentive enough. Damn it, I’m looking forward to it

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:00pm
18/19 ST from 1/7/2018 - 30/6/2019 so it would cover 2 home NL games in late 2018 and at least 2 EC2020 home qualifiers in spring/early summer 2019. So a minimum of 4 competitive games plus 1 friendly.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: darragh90
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
The NL is a huge comp. If we come first in our mini group we know we have the saftey blanket of at least a playoff to get into the Euros. That might mean we take a few shackles off and actually go for it in the qualifying stages

Not to mention these games will mean more in terms of coeffictients than regular friendlies. I presume games in the NL will affect official FIFA rankings also which are used for world cup qualifying groups

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Changing thread title.

Yes indeed. The Nations League actually means the end of friendlies in Europe for the next few years.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:08pm
If we finish 2nd in our nations league group and the team who finishes 1st qualify for the euros through the qualifers and we don't finish in the top 2 of our qualifying group, we will get the playoff spot (4 teams in it, one off semi final and then final for 1 euros final spot)

Finishing 3rd in the nation's league would be disastrous as we will be relegated to the lower division for the next Nations league (going by football manager world). Also going by football manager world the nation's league will also take place from Sep-nov 2020 and the 2022 world cup qualifiers will start in March 2021 ???

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:11pm
So are these Nations League groups seeded and which pot will we be in? Are every country in Europe in them, even the likes of Andorra and Gibraltar?

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:17pm
Playing against similar level teams can only do us good. We might actually learn how to put the Denmark’s and Austria’s of football to the sword in Dublin if we play against them regularly enough.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:31pm

So are these Nations League groups seeded and which pot will we be in? Are every country in Europe in them, even the likes of Andorra and Gibraltar?

Where in Pot 2 with the following teams

Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:36pm

Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

So are they the only teams we can play next year? There's no normal friendly dates, where we can play Brazil, Argentina or Oman? 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:39pm

So are they the only teams we can play next year? There's no normal friendly dates, where we can play Brazil, Argentina or Oman? 
There's friendlies scheduled for March and June. Would think that somebody in England's World Cup group might want to play us.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

There's friendlies scheduled for March and June. Would think that somebody in England's World Cup group might want to play us.

After those games, are friendlies as we know it a thing of the past? 

Posted By: SimonCox
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:40pm

found this on uefa

League A

Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, England, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

• Teams will be split into four groups of three, with the group winners then contesting the UEFA Nations League Finals (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners. One host country will be appointed in December 2018 from among the finalist teams.
  • The four sides that finish bottom of their groups will be relegated to League B for the 2020 edition.
  • The top four-ranked League A teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

League B

• Teams will be split into four groups of three. The four group winners are promoted to League A, with the four sides that finish bottom relegated to League C for the next competition, to be played in 2020.
  • The top four-ranked League B teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

League C

Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

• Teams will be split into one group of three and three groups of four. The four group winners are promoted to League B, with the four sides that finish bottom relegated to League D for the 2020 edition.
  • The top four-ranked League C teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

League D

Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

• Teams will be split into four groups of four, with the four group winners promoted to League C for the 2020 edition.
  • The top four-ranked League D teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

How the line-ups were determined

• The 55 participating teams were split according to their position in the  http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/50/91/84/2509184_DOWNLOAD.pdf" rel="nofollow - UEFA National Team Coefficient Rankings  following the end of the European Qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (as per 11 October 2017; play-off results will not be included).
  • League A includes the 12 top-ranked teams. The next 12 teams are in League B, the next 15 in League C and the remaining 16 in League D.

UEFA Nations League calendar

Group stage draw*: 24 January 2018 – SwissTech Convention Centre, Lausanne 

Matchday 1: 6–8 September 2018
Matchday 2: 9–11 September 2018
Matchday 3: 11–13 October 2018
Matchday 4: 14–16 October 2018
Matchday 5: 15–17 November 2018
Matchday 6: 18–20 November 2018
Finals draw: early December 2018
Finals: 5–9 June 2019
UEFA EURO 2020 play-off draw: 22 November 2019
UEFA EURO 2020 play-offs: 26–31 March 2020

Teams in three-sided groups will play on four of the six matchdays.

*Note that Russia and Ukraine will not be drawn into the same group. The same applies to Armenia and Azerbaijan if the current UEFA Executive Committee decisions still apply when the draw is made.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:46pm

We can always find room for Oman

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
A lot of the general public and "event junkies" will go with however the media outlets report on the Nations League! Already its seen as meaningless by most British media outlets over here... I think if it was put out in a simplified way in all Irish media (Newspapers/TV/Radio/Websites/Facebook/Twitter even the Clickbait ones) and explained how important it is to our future chances for qualifying for future tournaments and for our ranking people would/might buy into it... Just my thought on it!

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:11pm
"Teams in three-sided groups will play on four of the six matchdays."

No doubt the FAI will take the opportunity of playing friendlies on one or two of the free fixture dates when the NL is being played.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:20pm
Oman twice probably

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:25pm

Will the draw be seeded though, and who is in each pot if it is?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:31pm
Georgia will be laughing 

there in League D and are miles ahead of the rest of the teams there and they will fancy themselves to pick up the League D Euro 2020 finals spot (if they dont qualify for the finals through the qualifers)

Imagine us drawing this group

1 Republic Of Ireland
2 Denmark
3 Wales
DeadDead

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net