You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nicest town in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by newrygreen newrygreen wrote:

Muff

Cant believe people think Warrenpoint is nice Thumbs Down

Huh?

I was never in Warrenpoint.

Count yourself lucky LOL
Twitter: @50SavesOfDeGea
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:32pm
Borris in Carlow is nice as is Isistioge in KK. None of them particularly big though. Passed through Rostrevor once and it looked decent enough.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:39pm
Lads there's nothing in Warrenpoint, great pizza place is all I like about it.

Rostrevor is the nicest town in that area in my view.. Lovely spot. Going to punt for my hometown, Downpatrick.. Where St Patrick is buried men!

Cong
Portnamock or Howth,I personally love personally Portnamock

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Rostrevor is the nicest town in that area in my view.. Lovely spot. Going to punt for my hometown, Downpatrick.. Where St Patrick is buried men!

Cong

You sure you're not thinking of Malahide instead of Portmarnock?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Cong

Nope... 100% sure on Portnamock, stayed in the hotel a number of times now great spot. Mallahide is nice to
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:29pm
You must be the only man on the planet who prefers Portmarnock to Malahide
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:54am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I like warrenpoint summers day outside the whistle down looking out onto the bay with bottles of krombacher

In fact the whistledown/krombacher combination is on my occasional cycle route

will have to keep an eye out for you next time im on the bike that way, was actually there on sunday but went on to greencastle

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:36pm

Cong

Downpatrick and nice don't really go in the same sentence together IMO

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:47pm
I agree RB, went to school in Downpatrick. Nothing nice about it haha
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

+1
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Cong

Nope... 100% sure on Portnamock, stayed in the hotel a number of times now great spot. Mallahide is nice to

Its Portmarnock buddy.

Malahide is head and shoulders above Portmarnock imo
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:59pm
They are both pretty but full of ****s
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:52pm

Hey... come on now.... We've St Patricks first chapel and grave site.. surely thats all you need 
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 2:03am

Hey... come on now.... We've St Patricks first chapel and grave site.. surely thats all you need 

I'll give you that. It's nice up at St Pats grave. Generally though I am not a huge fan of the town although it's not bad for shopping and one or two spots do good grub.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:53pm
Downpatrick? The town with the Flying Horse? Hmmmmm.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:35pm
SD I seriously dont know what that lad is on if he's proclaiming it a nice town, yes its nice in scenic terms, the whole South Down area is for that matter BUT dpk got infested around the late 90's with housing executive sh*ts from west belfast who having been put of their own estates for being wee sh*ts had to be relocated somewhere else, dpk or more precisely the flying horse was one such estate to benefit from this.

I would class a nice town as one with decent amenities, good pubs, shops/places to attract families and not to bad traffic(I fkn hate traffic so am including it in my list) - dpk is gridlocked most days from 5-6, near impossible to get around it on a saturday and friday afternoon. The fact there is probably only 1 decent bar in the place out of about 14 says it all and most dont even drink in it as its a bit out of the way and beside a sh*t hole of another bar. Someone mentioned the shops Wacko aside from an Asda there's fuk all else in the place.

I think its best summed up by the fact there's something like 35 fast food/takeaways/eating establishments in the town(population almost 11k going by wiki) and the only decent place to eat among them is the cricket club.

In short, nice town to drive in the direction of but then take the coastal routes if into scenery etc, and avoid if possible - go to Newcastle while again not having decent pubs and usually gridlocked, there's at least stuff to do there on a day out(once you actually get parked). 

Though dpk has a great racecourse and its a mile or 2 out of town so any visitors dont really have to visit the town itself  (unless coming from belfast LOL)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:50pm
Big fan of the last Monday in August races in Downpatrick. Good reason to visit but it's only one day a year (although I suppose there are a few more meetings a year). My dad is from just outside there and I have plenty of relatives who live about there although they all live in the countryside.

The town on the other hand wouldn't be top of my list. Sure, it's a nicer town than Dungannon (closest decent size town to my home) but it's hardly in the top ten towns in the North. I'd have Enniskillen, Armagh, Derry, Newcastle, Portstewart, Cookstown, Ballycastle and Castlederg above it and that's just off the top of my head. I suppose I could easily name worse towns in the North (Kilkeel, Bangor, Comber, Newtownards, Ballynahinch and Banbridge are all worse and all in County Down, never mind the North) but I still wouldn't have Downpatrick on a list of nicest towns in Ireland.

Although it does have that railway museum.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic