You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Trap concerns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

How can i answer a question that is impossible to answer?! you address the failings in the system or threat of the opposition at the given time. Not simply have a blanket one (or even two) size fits all approach

You can answer the question because it's not impossible. I'll ask you again. What happens if your "have a go hero" tactic goes wrong? If we go all-out attack v Sweden and lose 0-3, how do you justify it?

We've already seen one home game this campaign where "having a go" led to three goals going in our net without reply in just 15 minutes. That's also what the Nordies, the Welsh, and the Scots do, and why their campaigns are cooked well before now.

In that case, we don't run around like a tacticless pub team, and play with more haste, less speed. It's why we're still in the mix, and why any result bar a loss on Friday, still keeps us in the picture for the flight to Brazil.

hav u read that permutations thread lad?
we need to win on friday to keep our hopes in our own hands.
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:06am
some amount of sh*te posted here after a nothing article. Ill be cocentrating on Friday and Tuesdays games. Support your country and quit the sh*t stirrin that is positevly boring after 2 years of it.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:07am

How can i answer a question that is impossible to answer?! you address the failings in the system or threat of the opposition at the given time. Not simply have a blanket one (or even two) size fits all approach

You can answer the question because it's not impossible. I'll ask you again. What happens if your "have a go hero" tactic goes wrong? If we go all-out attack v Sweden and lose 0-3, how do you justify it?

We've already seen one home game this campaign where "having a go" led to three goals going in our net without reply in just 15 minutes. That's also what the Nordies, the Welsh, and the Scots do, and why their campaigns are cooked well before now.

In that case, we don't run around like a tacticless pub team, and play with more haste, less speed. It's why we're still in the mix, and why any result bar a loss on Friday, still keeps us in the picture for the flight to Brazil.

there is just no talking to you. Also what game did we have a go when 3 goals went in? Germany? You must be having a laugh! I'm beginning to think you are a WUM.

I assume he is correctly referring to the start of the second half against Germany where ireland did indeed "have a go". A striker replaced a defensive midfielder and we adopted a much more artacking shape. We were promptly butchered with three quick fire goals to make it five nil.

Modern football (particularly international and european football) is as much about not conceding as it is about scoring.

Edited by eire77 - 03 Sep 2013 at 11:09am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:09am
Lets get 100% behind the team and if things don't go to plan then have your say in October but until then we need you Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

there is just no talking to you. Also what game did we have a go when 3 goals went in? Germany? You must be having a laugh! I'm beginning to think you are a WUM.

I assume he is correctly referring to the start of the second half against Germany where ireland did indeed "have a go". A striker replaced a defensive midfielder and we adopted a much more artacking shape. We were promptly butchered with three quick fire goals to make it five nil.

Modern football (particularly international and European football) is as much about not conceding as it is about scoring.
Sorry, are you referring to the kamikaze tactics of bringing long on for fahey and going 4-4-2, when we were 2-0 down? going for one less in midfield against arguably one of the best midfield's in international football. That was a stroke of genius alright. Recklessly chasing a game is in all intents and purposes not 'having a go'. 

Edited by Citizen - 03 Sep 2013 at 11:43am
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Lets get 100% behind the team and if things don't go to plan then have your say in October but until then we need you Thumbs Up

to be fair its people on here that actually go to the games and get behind the team. Expressing concerns should not be confused with not supporting the team. What is the point in having a forum otherwise?

Kerzy got a lot of stick here for his banner in the faroes, ironically by alot of lads who were not prepared to travel to the faroes for whatever reason (and fyi i didn't go myself). 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 12:02pm
Seems this lunatic is actually thinking about starting Cox on the wing.....said yesterday was mulling over starting Walters and Cox on the wings and Robbie.
Not sure does this mean Long is on bench....BUT IF Trap starts Cox again on the wing we WILL lose.
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 12:04pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

to be fair its people on here that actually go to the games and get behind the team. Expressing concerns should not be confused with not supporting the team. What is the point in having a forum otherwise?

Kerzy got a lot of stick here for his banner in the faroes, ironically by alot of lads who were not prepared to travel to the faroes for whatever reason (and fyi i didn't go myself). 

Kerrzy's was out of order displaying his banner at the match as were the clowns who were singing Mc Carthy's name.   We were there to support the team and that should have been enough for all of us on the day.   
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm
Well said Claret. Im the first to have a moan about Trap but these are two massive games. 

Im 110% behind manager and players for the next week. Can dissect things after Vienna

Trap has done lots of good things for Ireland. My only real gripe is home form and performances.

The penny has dropped about a lot of the younger players and we will have a decent young enough side out on Friday night with a bit of experience at centre half and with Keane.

Im looking forward to it. Come on you boys in green 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Seems this lunatic is actually thinking about starting Cox on the wing.....said yesterday was mulling over starting Walters and Cox on the wings and Robbie.
Not sure does this mean Long is on bench....BUT IF Trap starts Cox again on the wing we WILL lose.

Where did he say this?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 12:07pm

The Italian still seemed to be mulling over his options yesterday, mentioning the possibility of playing with three strikers (Simon Cox, Robbie Keane and Jon Walters) or two (Shane Long and Keane) with a fit Pilkington more likely to feature if he goes with the latter.

In the Irish times, think he will go for long Keane rather than cox walters etc

Edited by seanyshuffler - 03 Sep 2013 at 12:08pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 4:21pm

are you referring to bringing long on for fahey and going 4-4-2, when we were 2-0 down? going for one less in midfield against arguably one of the best midfield's in international football. Recklessly chasing a game is in all intents and purposes not 'having a go'.

Right, so when it works it's called "having a go", and when it doesn't it's "recklessly chasing a game". Well that's what "having a go" is, and that's why we don't do it very often.

We were chasing the game, made a change and tried to have a go. It didn't work. But you can't have it every way.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic