You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Fitzinho Fitzinho wrote:

Has anyone switched mortgages just to get the cashback?
A friend said her brother has switched twice and got back 8k twice in cashback offers.
I would have thought there would be something in place to prevent that or are we all just to lazy / didn't think of it?
There was plenty of stories of it online and in papers alright. The CBI have said the banks can't claim the money back, so it's theoretically possible if anyone wants to do it. Some banks now stipulate that you get 1% back now, and 1% back in 3 years time to get around it. Also, there's only so many banks, so if you pis them all off it may come back to bite you.

The CBI are trying to shut down the cashback offers at the moment so if anyone's thinking of doing it, get a move on
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:02pm
Can you switch if you're in the middle of a fixed rate term? Or are you stuck with that bank until you move back to variable rate?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:40pm
Usually you're stuck... at least, there's a hefty early repayment fee.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Can you switch if you're in the middle of a fixed rate term? Or are you stuck with that bank until you move back to variable rate?

Think you need to pay what they would have made in interest over the fixed term in order to get out
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:44am
We moved to a lower rate with our same bank, we 'broke' our original 3 year 3.65% fixed rate about 18 months into it to move to a 3 year 3.00% rate.
It cost us €100 in break fee but we were saving more than that per month or it knocked over 4 years off our term. 

Looking to do the same again with all of these new 2.x% mortgages which the lot of them are releasing at the moment.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:27pm
Had the house revalued and managed to bring the LTV down to below 80%. Delighted. Retained the same payments and took 5 months off the lifetime of the mortgage! Mental difference.

Went from 3.15% to 2.95%.

Hopefully no change in rates anytime soon!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:31pm
An Post and the Credit Unions talking about entering the Mortgage market next year. An Post talking about offering 1% less than the competition. I'll be having a look at that. 
El Puto Amo
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Had the house revalued and managed to bring the LTV down to below 80%. Delighted. Retained the same payments and took 5 months off the lifetime of the mortgage! Mental difference.

How much did the valuation cost? Out of interest. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:57pm
Nothing for me but most banks have a panel of valuers. The standard fee is €150 for nearly all of them with the odd exception 

Credit Unions are already giving mortgages but nothing too big and not on a massive scale. An Post coming into the market would be interesting and if it happens, would add solid competition. Our mortgage rates are still fairly criminal by European standards!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:07pm

Nothing for me but most banks have a panel of valuers. The standard fee is €150 for nearly all of them with the odd exception 

Credit Unions are already giving mortgages but nothing too big and not on a massive scale. An Post coming into the market would be interesting and if it happens, would add solid competition. Our mortgage rates are still fairly criminal by European standards!

I’ve noticed the UK rates are so are much lower. 

Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’ve noticed the UK rates are so are much lower. 

Ours is 2.45% and we only had 10% deposit. We could have got around 2 but that was with online only lenders and the mrs wasn't happy not having a branch.

Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:31pm
Irish mortgage rates are so high compared to the EU average for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Irish mortgages are a lot riskier than the EU average. The last figures I saw were from a few months ago and outlined the percentage of 'Non Performing' mortgages in certain EU countries - Spain was at 4.5%, France were at 3%, Germany 1% or so and Ireland was way up at 11%. Secondly, it tends to be a lot more difficult for a bank to repossess a house here compared to the rest of the EU. So the combination of riskier mortgages and the difficulty/cost associated for the bank in recouping an asset once the milk has turned sour has driven interest rates up. It's also what has put off a lot of foreign lenders from entering the Irish market.

I'd be a bit sceptical of An Post claiming they are going to enter the Irish mortgage market with rates as much as 1% lower. As far as I know they are still looking for a partner to help finance the proposition so there's plenty up in the air still.
Funsize Crouchy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funsize Crouchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

How much did the valuation cost? Out of interest. 

I did mine last year. Changed bank and fixed for 10years at 2.95%

kept the payments the same and have taken about 3 years off it.

Valuation cost €150. Got a cash reward for changing bank that covered the legal fees and a bit left for us too.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 4:13pm
That's all very good to know. Got approval in principle this week and should hopefully have over a 20% deposit. Still a pain in the hole trying to afford anything as a single person but it's good to see how much better the rates are once you are under 80% LTV.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 4:26pm

Who is the mortgage with?

Friend of mine got word back today from Haven that they don't have a LTV rate for existing customers so can't do anything for them.
The dark side.. And the light
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 5:26pm
I'm with AIB. Aren't Haven part of AIB? 

It's a nice boost alright but there's always a chance rates will go up. I don't want to fix because I like the flexibility. Ideally want the mortgage gone by the time I'm 40  
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm

We moved to a lower rate with our same bank, we 'broke' our original 3 year 3.65% fixed rate about 18 months into it to move to a 3 year 3.00% rate.
It cost us €100 in break fee but we were saving more than that per month or it knocked over 4 years off our term. 

Looking to do the same again with all of these new 2.x% mortgages which the lot of them are releasing at the moment.

Which bank are you with?? Do hey just charge that breakage fee as standard ??
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Which bank are you with?? Do hey just charge that breakage fee as standard ??

BOI

Breakage fee I presume is just because we were in the middle of a 3 year fixed rate. They wouldn’t charge it if we were in a variable rate. Same as breaking a phone contract really
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic