Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54826
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mortgages
Posted By: MayoMark
Subject: Mortgages
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:41pm
So after my self-imposed exile from the internet after the decision that shall not be spoken about, I was hoping some of the YBIG smarts on here might be able to give some of their advice and life experience on mortgages.

Now, we've just bought a house, moved in a month ago. I never, ever intend to do it ever again.

Anyways, we have a mortgage of €135k, variable rate, over 20 years. Nice tidy mortgage.

BUT, I'd love to be able to pay it off early, bit by bit. With variable mortgages, there are no early payment penalties. Our first payment was made mid last month. It was c. €780, €400 of which was interest (way more than I was expecting to be honest). So that's €380 off the capital.

If I went into the bank tomorrow and handed over €1200 and said to take it off my capital, does that equate to 3 months off the lifetime of the mortgage? Or am I missing a detail somewhere?

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Replies:
Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

So after my self-imposed exile from the internet after the decision that shall not be spoken about, I was hoping some of the YBIG smarts on here might be able to give some of their advice and life experience on mortgages.

Now, we've just bought a house, moved in a month ago. I never, ever intend to do it ever again.

Anyways, we have a mortgage of €135k, variable rate, over 20 years. Nice tidy mortgage.

BUT, I'd love to be able to pay it off early, bit by bit. With variable mortgages, there are no early payment penalties. Our first payment was made mid last month. It was c. €780, €400 of which was interest (way more than I was expecting to be honest). So that's €380 off the capital.

If I went into the bank tomorrow and handed over €1200 and said to take it off my capital, does that equate to 3 months off the lifetime of the mortgage? Or am I missing a detail somewhere?
you can chose one or other. Shorten the term , which will lower your cost of credit more or reduce your payments over the same term

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:40pm
http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html%20" rel="nofollow - http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html

Not sure which bank you're with but that might give you an idea. My interest is applied every quarter and it equates to almost 2 monthly payments in that quarter. 

Now neer mind that, what are you waffling about in the first line?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:17pm

Check with the bank. With my mortgage, first time I did that, the next repayment was reduced, basically they told me they'd taken the amount off the capital, and reduced the repayments to keep the term yourself. Obviously that's not what most people want, it benefits the bank. You need to tell them (in email/writing), something like "I have paid off €1200 off my mortgage, please readjust my term accordingly". I have a standard doc in my documents, just send it off every time I repay it.

And yes, first time out it's a lot more interest than I'd have liked. In AIB, they deduct 3 months payment then add on the interest at the end of each quarter. First 3 months, I paid €1000, then €1000, then another €1000, and they added on about €2,500 back onto it LOL

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html%20" rel="nofollow - http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html

Not sure which bank you're with but that might give you an idea. My interest is applied every quarter and it equates to almost 2 monthly payments in that quarter. 

Now neer mind that, what are you waffling about in the first line?
Exactly,never mind small things like mortgages,get to the proper stuff...???

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm

Hennelly over Clarke? LOL

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:22pm
You'd be better off upping your monthly payment if you can - this is the best way to shorten the lifetime of the mortgage and save on the interest. Can you use the €1,200 to up it by €100 a month and afford the €100 when it's gone? Handing over the lump sum wouldn't have the same benefit.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Hennelly over Clarke? LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm

So after my self-imposed exile from the internet after the decision that shall not be spoken about,

Mortgages who cares!!!

Please explain this bizzare opening line. If not I'll make up numerous scenarios as to what it could be

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

You'd be better off upping your monthly payment if you can - this is the best way to shorten the lifetime of the mortgage and save on the interest. Can you use the €1,200 to up it by €100 a month and afford the €100 when it's gone? Handing over the lump sum wouldn't have the same benefit.
it would have more of a benefit as each monthly payment would have less interest if the capital is lower sooner

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:17pm
The thing to remember is that paying your current monthly payment (whatever it is) in 20 years will be much easier then than it is now, thanks to inflation. Paying off your mortgage three years early may sound very positive but the impact of the extra cash then may not be as beneficial as it is now, thanks to the decrease in the value of money in the interim.

Just something worth considering, much and all as you should probably pay off your mortgage as fast as you can comfortably afford.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:50pm
Thanks for the advice lads. Much appreciated and I'll take it all on board

Bo got it in one   

-------------

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:00am
There was a program on RTE last night called 'the great Irish sell off'. Basically how when the banks needed help they sold off loads of mortgages to vulture funds. Had heard the term vulture fund before but didn't really know what it was before it was explained last night.
So thousands of people are paying back their mortgages to these companies and if they are late with a payment it seems like they can be just kicked out of their house. Seem a lot more heartless then the banks. Anyone here have to pay these c*** back as their mortgage.
It seems like a scary thought hanging over you all the time.  

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:18am
No worse than the banks are doing to be fair. If ya fall behind on the banks you'll get threatening letters too.

Saw the show, was interesting to see how they worked, but it was very one-sided. The poor lad from Charleville put his house up as collateral in 2009. Every dog in the street knows there's a good chance the loan will default and the house be lost. Sounded a horrible story though.

One thing the didn't point out is that these "vulture funds" are the ones that people's pensions are made up of (my company pension is in Blackstone I think it's called), so every person with a pension is a member of a "vulture fund".

It mentioned that if the mortgage is worth €300k, and the vulture fund buys it for €150k, then surely it makes more sense for the home owner to buy it for €180k. That to me, would just lead to everyone stopping paying their mortgage, and buying it back cheaper.

There's no excuse for these vulture funds to still be paying no tax.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

No worse than the banks are doing to be fair. If ya fall behind on the banks you'll get threatening letters too.

Saw the show, was interesting to see how they worked, but it was very one-sided. The poor lad from Charleville put his house up as collateral in 2009. Every dog in the street knows there's a good chance the loan will default and the house be lost. Sounded a horrible story though.

One thing the didn't point out is that these "vulture funds" are the ones that people's pensions are made up of (my company pension is in Blackstone I think it's called), so every person with a pension is a member of a "vulture fund".

It mentioned that if the mortgage is worth €300k, and the vulture fund buys it for €150k, then surely it makes more sense for the home owner to buy it for €180k. That to me, would just lead to everyone stopping paying their mortgage, and buying it back cheaper.

There's no excuse for these vulture funds to still be paying no tax.
they also have to appoint a servicing firm who are regulated and homeowners have all the protections of legislation

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 1:17am
Anyone here ever do a switch? Is it possible to find a good rate for a switcher and then just haggle with your own bank to see if they can do any better?

Also, our Loan to Value is due to go below 80% by the end of the year I hope  And that's based on what we paid for the house. The value of it would have risen a few % since we bought so we could be below 80% already. Would this give us any bargaining room? 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:18am

Anyone here ever do a switch? Is it possible to find a good rate for a switcher and then just haggle with your own bank to see if they can do any better?

Also, our Loan to Value is due to go below 80% by the end of the year I hope  And that's based on what we paid for the house. The value of it would have risen a few % since we bought so we could be below 80% already. Would this give us any bargaining room? 
In the middle of it at the moment. A lot less stressful as you're not rushing to secure a house or move in. 

We were in a similar boat to yourself, bought at about 82% LTV, would now be about 76% on our original value but the bank (AIB) wasn't going to move us to the lower than 80% rate. So moving to BOI, 5 years fixed there, gets 3% back over the years too, knocks about 2 years off the end of the mortgage, and the cashback offer will easily cover the fees.

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:27am
Has anyone switched mortgages just to get the cashback?
A friend said her brother has switched twice and got back 8k twice in cashback offers.
I would have thought there would be something in place to prevent that or are we all just to lazy / didn't think of it?

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Fitzinho Fitzinho wrote:

Has anyone switched mortgages just to get the cashback?
A friend said her brother has switched twice and got back 8k twice in cashback offers.
I would have thought there would be something in place to prevent that or are we all just to lazy / didn't think of it?
There was plenty of stories of it online and in papers alright. The CBI have said the banks can't claim the money back, so it's theoretically possible if anyone wants to do it. Some banks now stipulate that you get 1% back now, and 1% back in 3 years time to get around it. Also, there's only so many banks, so if you pis them all off it may come back to bite you.

The CBI are trying to shut down the cashback offers at the moment so if anyone's thinking of doing it, get a move on

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:02pm
Can you switch if you're in the middle of a fixed rate term? Or are you stuck with that bank until you move back to variable rate?

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:40pm
Usually you're stuck... at least, there's a hefty early repayment fee.

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Can you switch if you're in the middle of a fixed rate term? Or are you stuck with that bank until you move back to variable rate?

Think you need to pay what they would have made in interest over the fixed term in order to get out

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:44am
We moved to a lower rate with our same bank, we 'broke' our original 3 year 3.65% fixed rate about 18 months into it to move to a 3 year 3.00% rate.
It cost us €100 in break fee but we were saving more than that per month or it knocked over 4 years off our term. 

Looking to do the same again with all of these new 2.x% mortgages which the lot of them are releasing at the moment.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:27pm
Had the house revalued and managed to bring the LTV down to below 80%. Delighted. Retained the same payments and took 5 months off the lifetime of the mortgage! Mental difference.

Went from 3.15% to 2.95%.

Hopefully no change in rates anytime soon!

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:31pm
An Post and the Credit Unions talking about entering the Mortgage market next year. An Post talking about offering 1% less than the competition. I'll be having a look at that. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:32pm

Had the house revalued and managed to bring the LTV down to below 80%. Delighted. Retained the same payments and took 5 months off the lifetime of the mortgage! Mental difference.

How much did the valuation cost? Out of interest. 

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:57pm
Nothing for me but most banks have a panel of valuers. The standard fee is €150 for nearly all of them with the odd exception 

Credit Unions are already giving mortgages but nothing too big and not on a massive scale. An Post coming into the market would be interesting and if it happens, would add solid competition. Our mortgage rates are still fairly criminal by European standards!

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:07pm

Nothing for me but most banks have a panel of valuers. The standard fee is €150 for nearly all of them with the odd exception 

Credit Unions are already giving mortgages but nothing too big and not on a massive scale. An Post coming into the market would be interesting and if it happens, would add solid competition. Our mortgage rates are still fairly criminal by European standards!

I’ve noticed the UK rates are so are much lower. 

-------------

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’ve noticed the UK rates are so are much lower. 

Ours is 2.45% and we only had 10% deposit. We could have got around 2 but that was with online only lenders and the mrs wasn't happy not having a branch.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:31pm
Irish mortgage rates are so high compared to the EU average for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Irish mortgages are a lot riskier than the EU average. The last figures I saw were from a few months ago and outlined the percentage of 'Non Performing' mortgages in certain EU countries - Spain was at 4.5%, France were at 3%, Germany 1% or so and Ireland was way up at 11%. Secondly, it tends to be a lot more difficult for a bank to repossess a house here compared to the rest of the EU. So the combination of riskier mortgages and the difficulty/cost associated for the bank in recouping an asset once the milk has turned sour has driven interest rates up. It's also what has put off a lot of foreign lenders from entering the Irish market.

I'd be a bit sceptical of An Post claiming they are going to enter the Irish mortgage market with rates as much as 1% lower. As far as I know they are still looking for a partner to help finance the proposition so there's plenty up in the air still.

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I did mine last year. Changed bank and fixed for 10years at 2.95%

kept the payments the same and have taken about 3 years off it.

Valuation cost €150. Got a cash reward for changing bank that covered the legal fees and a bit left for us too.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 4:13pm
That's all very good to know. Got approval in principle this week and should hopefully have over a 20% deposit. Still a pain in the hole trying to afford anything as a single person but it's good to see how much better the rates are once you are under 80% LTV.

-------------

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 4:26pm

Who is the mortgage with?

Friend of mine got word back today from Haven that they don't have a LTV rate for existing customers so can't do anything for them.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 5:26pm
I'm with AIB. Aren't Haven part of AIB? 

It's a nice boost alright but there's always a chance rates will go up. I don't want to fix because I like the flexibility. Ideally want the mortgage gone by the time I'm 40  

-------------

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm

We moved to a lower rate with our same bank, we 'broke' our original 3 year 3.65% fixed rate about 18 months into it to move to a 3 year 3.00% rate.
It cost us €100 in break fee but we were saving more than that per month or it knocked over 4 years off our term. 

Looking to do the same again with all of these new 2.x% mortgages which the lot of them are releasing at the moment.

Which bank are you with?? Do hey just charge that breakage fee as standard ??

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Which bank are you with?? Do hey just charge that breakage fee as standard ??

BOI

Breakage fee I presume is just because we were in the middle of a 3 year fixed rate. They wouldn’t charge it if we were in a variable rate. Same as breaking a phone contract really

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:32pm
yeah we are about 18 months into ours and looking to break it but are being charged €1300 😢

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:35pm

yeah we are about 18 months into ours and looking to break it but are being charged €1300 😢
Jaysus who’s that with?

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:39pm
AIB 😳

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:26pm

We ended our 2 year fixed in May of 3.65% and dropped it to 3% and didn’t have to get a valuation at all so maybe they just did their own value and decided our LTV met the criteria for the 3% rate, our LTV is approx 62% or so I reckon so I’m happy enough with 3% fixed for 3 years. 

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

We ended our 2 year fixed in May of 3.65% and dropped it to 3% and didn’t have to get a valuation at all so maybe they just did their own value and decided our LTV met the criteria for the 3% rate, our LTV is approx 62% or so I reckon so I’m happy enough with 3% fixed for 3 years. 

Did your LTV not just naturally go below a certain rate though? 

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:27am
LTV dropped significantly because of the way the market has gone, after 2 years paying off a mortgage you haven’t paid much off the principle it’s mainly interest.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:52am

Jaysus who’s that with?

The bank has to match your fixed rate with a hedge for a fixed term to make sure they don't carry the risk of rate changes. All this is very clearly explained at the time of fixing so don't see why the surprise. Why wouldn't anyone break a fixed for a lower rates when rates drop if there wasn't a fee? 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 11:51am

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Did your LTV not just naturally go below a certain rate though? 
Most mortgages don't change LTV "naturally" as you describe Mark, I'm surprised AIB did that for you with a free valuation. We were in the same boat with AIB, and had to move to BOI to get onto the lower LTV. On our mortgage, we entered on about 81% LTV, and if we did nothing, AIB would have considered us in the 81% band until the very last payment.

Sono's example is due to interest rates falling. Back in 2016, 3.65% would have been a normal rate for 2 year fixed, nowadays it's closer to 3% for 3 year fixed (my own 2 year fixed expired this year, was 3.65%, they moved us to variable at 3.15%, so we moved to BOI). I reckon if Sono went to BOI or UB they could get an even chepaer rate but would have had to switch mortgage via a solicitor etc. 3% isn't bad

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Jaysus who’s that with?

The bank has to match your fixed rate with a hedge for a fixed term to make sure they don't carry the risk of rate changes. All this is very clearly explained at the time of fixing so don't see why the surprise. Why wouldn't anyone break a fixed for a lower rates when rates drop if there wasn't a fee? 

I knew I would have to pay but wasn’t really aware how much it be 😢 AIB have said they will more than likely waive the fee if we take our new mortgage out with them anyway so hopefully they will 👍🏻👍🏻

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:24am
Anybody else mortgaged with EBS?

They've started sending texts of late saying the last day of the month falls on a weekend so make sure you've paid up. That's fine and thanks for the heads up.

But this morning I've received a text from them saying there's only 2 weeks left of the month and we are yet to receive your payment......

I pay on the 27th/28th so buck off.

Thankfully i am in a position to pay every month but i think of people living month to month and 2 weeks prior to payment being due, they're getting these texts.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
Not with EBS but Pay mine by DD anyway. Surely someone with your standing in the world of diabetes would have a DD 

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:32am

Not with EBS but Pay mine by DD anyway. Surely someone with your standing in the world of diabetes would have a DD 

I like the feeling of control I have determining when the banks get their mulah

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:34am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

They have to get it by a certain date so all youre controlling is not giving it to them earlier. Give it late and you’re paying a bit more interest. 

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:58am

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

They have to get it by a certain date so all youre controlling is not giving it to them earlier. Give it late and you’re paying a bit more interest. 
Plus the possibility of forgetting to pay one month and getting a bad credit rating. Horrible and relentless as it is, I prefer to pay on DD. The EBS online account has changed recently and doesn't seem to show as much detail as previously on my mortgage. 

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:51pm
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/interest-rate-hike-may-be-pushed-back-to-2020-891983.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/interest-rate-hike-may-be-pushed-back-to-2020-891983.html

Good news, hopefully, that we might have another year of relatively low interest rates. Still sickening that we are paying twice the EU average though. 

Hopefully this talk of new competition next year might have a positive impact on rates. 

Currently paying 2.95%.

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 9:21am

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/interest-rate-hike-may-be-pushed-back-to-2020-891983.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/interest-rate-hike-may-be-pushed-back-to-2020-891983.html

Good news, hopefully, that we might have another year of relatively low interest rates. Still sickening that we are paying twice the EU average though. 

Hopefully this talk of new competition next year might have a positive impact on rates. 

Currently paying 2.95%.

Not you I'm aiming this at all, but people want it both ways. 

If rates are to be lower, Vulture funds need to be able to buy bad loans and people evicted more quickly. I'm not advocating that but do see a lot of people want the lower rates but against vulture funds. 

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 10:38am
No I hear you 100%. It's incredibly difficult to get evicted jn Ireland despite what you hear. Generally the reason interest rates are so high is because they are paying for bad loans. 

-------------

Posted By: Missy
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 11:01am
We are also paying for bad decisions made by banks the tracker mortgages 

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 12:39am
It's a tough one to decide whether to go fixed or variable. I switched to variable a couple of year ago at the end of my initial fix and dropped down quite a bit. 
I want to start knocking money off the loan moving forward, want to be mortgage free by 2030, but that might change if interest rates jump up. Glad I didn't decide to fix it now as looks like another 2 years of low interest at least. 

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:01am
Started knocking an extra €100pm off my main mortgage. Variable at the minute on 2.75%. Will keep it variable for the forseeable even if rates do rise a bit.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It's a tough one to decide whether to go fixed or variable. I switched to variable a couple of year ago at the end of my initial fix and dropped down quite a bit. 
I want to start knocking money off the loan moving forward, want to be mortgage free by 2030, but that might change if interest rates jump up. Glad I didn't decide to fix it now as looks like another 2 years of low interest at least.
Just go with what you're happy to pay and leave it at that. Can't be forever second guessing your decisions.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:24am
Yeah I'm the exact same. Am in variable because I want to chip away at it. Might have a few extra bib this year so the plan is take an extra 2k off of it. Especially when rates are low.

Similar to you Andy I want to be mortgage free by the time I'm 40. 10 years to pay a 16 year mortgage. Will be tough but going to give it a lash! 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:58am
Mine is still a 30 year mortgage. We re-mortgaged this year, adding my wife to it. Between that and the positive equity, managed to get the additional funds to cover an extension with a high spec kitchen/dining area and front and back garden landscapes finish. I didn't even need to bring cash to the table, they covered it! Still in development actually but finances to cover it are secured. 
Even with the top up, our mortgage is still pittance compared to what people are paying for rent. Got so so lucky. A lot of my friends got stung with high mortgages as they bought in the boom, i didnt cause i was pissing everything away each month, when i was finally mature enough to ssttle down, house prices had sank.

With most of life's major events out of the way, want to chip away at it next year.

What will help next year is I got headhunted by another department in my organization and starting a fancy new job in two weeks on a lot more money.  
Really feel like I am a lucky sh*t.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm

Yeah I'm the exact same. Am in variable because I want to chip away at it. Might have a few extra bib this year so the plan is take an extra 2k off of it. Especially when rates are low.

Similar to you Andy I want to be mortgage free by the time I'm 40. 10 years to pay a 16 year mortgage. Will be tough but going to give it a lash! 
Mark it will happen sooner or later , may as well enjoy your time what you have now instead putting everything on hold until you are 40 .
I never had a mortgage until I was 45 Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:54pm
Just went sale agreed. Hurray. About three months from here, right? Middle / end of March?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:56pm
What area Dave?

Congrats. When is the candlelight supper dinner porty?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
Near the Children's hospital in Crumlin, not too far from where I am at the minute. Two bed place so if I rent out a room I'll cover a decent part of the mortgage, which is a help.

And if you bring the royal doulton with hand painted periwinkles, I'll do the cooking.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Near the Children's hospital in Crumlin, not too far from where I am at the minute. Two bed place so if I rent out a room I'll cover a decent part of the mortgage, which is a help.

And if you bring the royal doulton with hand painted periwinkles, I'll do the cooking.
That was an awful show! 

So, you will have a nice, innocent  paediatric nurse moving in? I am sure I saw a film based on that.

Well done on finding a home though.Clap

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm

Just went sale agreed. Hurray. About three months from here, right? Middle / end of March?

Don't count your chickens. While it was 3 months for myself. A colleague sitting near me here in work is presently in month 10 of waiting after going sale agreed!

Congratulations but remember that many things can go right and wrong from here. Only when you have the keys in your hand can you relax

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That was an awful show! 

So, you will have a nice, innocent  paediatric nurse moving in? I am sure I saw a film based on that.

Well done on finding a home though.Clap

1) It was indeed a terrible show.

2) That is among the plans. If it ends up like the film you saw, all the better.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:25pm

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm

Don't count your chickens. While it was 3 months for myself. A colleague sitting near me here in work is presently in month 10 of waiting after going sale agreed!

Congratulations but remember that many things can go right and wrong from here. Only when you have the keys in your hand can you relax

Jaysus. I've heard some terrible stories of things with estate sales, fighting siblings, divorce sales, repossessions, probate delays, and dodgy extensions. None of the usual sort of things should slow this down but you never know.

I'm buying off a landlord who lives in Australia so that might slow things down but hopefully not.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:37pm

Congratulations man. You're now an adult.

Timeline really depends on the situation of who you bought it from, if they're free to move out quickly, you'll be in quickly, if they need to now find and go sale agreed on their own place you could be another 6 months.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
Congrats Dave, but as said, don't hold your breath. Nothing is certain at all. We closed a sale that took 8 months and there was f**k all wrong bar a small map amendment. You can and will get solicitors who will drag their heels for no good reason and there could be a number of other factors. You've only really got passed the first hurdle! But it's a big one. Best of luck

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Congratulations man. You're now an adult.

Timeline really depends on the situation of who you bought it from, if they're free to move out quickly, you'll be in quickly, if they need to now find and go sale agreed on their own place you could be another 6 months.

An investor who lives in Oz and wants to buy their own place there, so they should want to move quick enough. I know the solicitor on my end and it's an apartment, so I'm happy enough there shouldn't be too many title issues.

Anyway, if there are delays, I'll live with them, even if it means renting somewhere for a month or two.

-------------

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Mark it will happen sooner or later , may as well enjoy your time what you have now instead putting everything on hold until you are 40 .

terrible advice! 

if anyone can clear their mortgage by 40 go for it, don't let people who didn't start early drag you down mark, the less you owe the rotten banks the better, good luck with it

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 5:18pm

I hear Crumlin is like South Central Los Angeles these days. 

At least that's what Conor McGregor says. 

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

terrible advice! 

if anyone can clear their mortgage by 40 go for it, don't let people who didn't start early drag you down mark, the less you owe the rotten banks the better, good luck with it

We could all pay down our mortgage if we didn’t go out, go on holidays, have some fun etc 
I think he means you have to live now. 

Absolutely over-pay your mortgage if you have spare cash. 

Congrats SD - 99% of the time it works out fine, it may be longer than you think but you are nearly there.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

terrible advice! 

We could all pay down our mortgage if we didn’t go out, go on holidays, have some fun etc 
I think he means you have to live now. 

Absolutely over-pay your mortgage if you have spare cash. 

Congrats SD - 99% of the time it works out fine, it may be longer than you think but you are nearly there.

Well said ZZ putting your life on hold to pay off your mortgage really , you only have one life use it well if you are a Hindu your next life could be better . 
SD enjoy the moment but like what has been said nothing is final until you have the keys in your hand . 

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:46am
Jaysis my goal was to have sex before I was 40 and Mayo mark’s is to clear his mortgage.  Get your priorities right mark :) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Jaysis my goal was to have sex before I was 40 and Mayo mark’s is to clear his mortgage.  Get your priorities right mark :) 

Ah yeah but Mayo Mark’s goal is actually achievable

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 10:48am
this a good thing for distressed mortgages? 

https://stayinyourhome.ie/" rel="nofollow - https://stayinyourhome.ie/

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:21pm
Thinking of buying my first property in the Greater belfast area and I am completely new to the whole thing, and generally quite confused about mortgages

Any tips/ideas on the first steps on how to go about getting a mortgage, do I have the property in mind first that I want or see how much a mortgage I can afford? Which is best mortgage broker or bank?

How long should the whole process take? Think SD has gone through it lately

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Thinking of buying my first property in the Greater belfast area and I am completely new to the whole thing, and generally quite confused about mortgages

Any tips/ideas on the first steps on how to go about getting a mortgage, do I have the property in mind first that I want or see how much a mortgage I can afford? Which is best mortgage broker or bank?

Closing this week. I went sale agreed the week before Christmas.

There were a few delays along the way, partly caused by the vendor's solicitor, partly caused by the bank, partly caused by me waiting on a few quid from the folks.

The first thing I did was go to the bank and get approval in principle. I did that in October, then started looking. I had a look at the rates online before I went to the bank. Ulster Bank were among the best with their rates down here so I went with them.

I bid on, I think, three different places. I was outbid on the first and the vendor accepted a bid on the second I would have went above, but for the fact I couldn't commit to going higher at that stage as I was the highest bidder on the first. I got the third though, which is an apartment.

Once I had that done, I went to my solicitor, and we had to get a good few things from the vendor's solicitor, including things from the management company of the apartments.

If it is an apartment, it will take longer than a house. I know that I'd definitely have been able to close at least two weeks earlier if we weren't waiting for so long for things from the management company and for the bank to check them out and it would probably have been even quicker than that. The bank need to make sure that the block insurance covers them, whereas if you are buying a house, it's a bit more straightforward, as you just get that yourself and send it over to them.

Anyway, from bid accepted to keys in hand has taken me just under four months (counting me getting the keys this week).

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:52pm

There were a few delays along the way, partly caused by the vendor's solicitor, partly caused by the bank, partly caused by me waiting on a few quid from the folks.

The first thing I did was go to the bank and get approval in principle. I did that in October, then started looking. I had a look at the rates online before I went to the bank. Ulster Bank were among the best with their rates down here so I went with them.

I bid on, I think, three different places. I was outbid on the first and the vendor accepted a bid on the second I would have went above, but for the fact I couldn't commit to going higher at that stage as I was the highest bidder on the first. I got the third though, which is an apartment.

Once I had that done, I went to my solicitor, and we had to get a good few things from the vendor's solicitor, including things from the management company of the apartments.

If it is an apartment, it will take longer than a house. I know that I'd definitely have been able to close at least two weeks earlier if we weren't waiting for so long for things from the management company and for the bank to check them out and it would probably have been even quicker than that. The bank need to make sure that the block insurance covers them, whereas if you are buying a house, it's a bit more straightforward, as you just get that yourself and send it over to them.

Anyway, from bid accepted to keys in hand has taken me just under four months (counting me getting the keys this week).
Had you already been banking with Ulster Bank or did you just go to them when you seen that their rates were the best?

So it is best to go and look for an approval for x amount and when you then have been approved go out and look and see where you want to buy?

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:04pm
Approach as many banks as you can and seek pre-approval. Once you have offers on the table, start working with the most favourable ones (lowest interest rate, 2% cashback, legal fees paid) and provide them with all the documentation they will require I.e. 6 months of bank statements, proof of savings, proof of earnings/employment etc.

If you aren't telling little white lies on your application, once you have pre-approval you can comfortably start looking and bidding.

Provided you don't have outstanding loans (car, credit union) and you can show a good track record of paying rent and saving, you should be okay.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:40pm
With regards to savings, I don't have the likes of a savings account or an ISA, just a couple of different current accounts along with a credit union account. Will the absence of such accounts count against me?

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:05pm
I found a mortgage broker very good for our mortgage. Made it much more straight forward than when we did it ourselves the first time.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:06pm

With regards to savings, I don't have the likes of a savings account or an ISA, just a couple of different current accounts along with a credit union account. Will the absence of such accounts count against me?

Once you have an account that you were regularly transferring x amount into evey month, then you should be fine. 

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:55pm

I was banking with Ulster Bank. However, I'm self employed so I had to send them on my tax returns and revenue forms, so I basically had to give them the same as I'd have had to give to anyone else. I just went with them because they had a decent fixed rate deal and it was marginally handier to go with them seeing as I already banked with them.

I didn't have any savings accounts at all, just current accounts, but there was a building balance in them at least. If you have statements from the credit union, that might do the job.

-------------

Posted By: mbyrne15
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
Mortgage Broker was also very helpful, did all the leg work so i have had no interaction with the bank so far.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:18pm

I got the third though, which is an apartment.

Godd luck with the move.

With Management fees to be factored in, with some charging up to €2000 per year, if you're there for 30 or so years it can add up to a lot additional costs.

What were your thoughts on your budget with this extra costs

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:12pm
Got my keys today. Hurray.

Hoskins: Didn't think of it that much, tbh. Sure if you own a house, you have a garden and drive that needs looking after. Admittedly it doesn't cost €2k a year but it is something that the management company look after, plus you have secure parking and waste included for that too. The converse is that you can't extend an apartment, of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:42pm
SD what way did you brooch the subject with the folks to ask for a few coins off them?

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:18pm
Hah, they offered once I had the approval in principle from the bank.

Once you know how much the bank will give you & how much you'll have yourself, you can figure out your budget. You still need to allow a good few thousand on top - the total cost of valuation fees, legal fees, pro-rated management fees & pro-rated property tax (rates in your case) will add up to a few thousand, probably the best part of five or six, then you have the cost of furnishing on top.

And once you know the budget, you can go to the folks. Say the bank will give you £130k and you have as much as £30k, your budget is probably only £150k, given legal costs, furnishing costs & the need for a bit of headroom, especially if you buy a house and want to do any works at all. Also, remember mortgage rates will drop if you are below 80% LTV... that definitely helped me.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:59am

SD what way did you brooch the subject with the folks to ask for a few coins off them?

You thinking about asking his parents as well?

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:28pm
LOL

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 4:14pm
the boom is back baby!!

currently in the middle of a self build mortgage process. justifying your spending to banking ****s is like trying to justify whether or not to have a wank while watching embarrassing bodies to a fat yoke with crabs  

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Looking to buy a property as an investment in the UK. I’ll be a first time buyer, I have the deposit. I currently live in the property but the landlord will sell it. Looking to initially to put the mortgage interest only, then put it as a repayment mortgage down the line when I rent it out myself and move to something larger or buy another investment. Does anyone have any experience of getting a mortgage interest only? 
 Thank you!

A cousin did this a few years ago was a nightmare i remember them tell me. The Bank wanted close to 30% deposit. 

Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 12:41am
Ulster Bank 2.3% 2 year fixed is the best you can get. €1,500 legal fees too. Switch when you can get a lower rate.

-------------
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:22pm
ripoff.ie Thumbs Down

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-05/danes-get-20-year-0-mortgages-as-interest-rates-keep-sinking" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-05/danes-get-20-year-0-mortgages-as-interest-rates-keep-sinking

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
rates are higher here because overseas banks don't want to enter the mortgage market given it's very hard to reposes a house (and takes years) where as else where fall 3 payments behind and start packing. I think Avant Card could be linking rates to people credit rating here which will be interesting.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:59pm
Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

Nope ,but as a guess i would say double what you paid for the house .

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net