Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 32>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:12pm
Another one who we’ll have no worries about England stealing on us in a few years 

File in the Luca Connell and Armstrong Okoflex category 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 04 Jan 2022 at 1:12pm
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Another one who we’ll have no worries about England stealing on us in a few years 

If a woman deliberately leaves her purse on a table outside a cafe and goes inside to use the toilet, does she want it to get stolen? 

It's not really theft if the player is desperate to play for the country doing the stealing.

Okoflex (and his dad), for instance, seemed to be more proactive about initiating an Intl future with England than England ever were.

Odubeko strikes me as so ambivalent about us that he'd bite off your hand for a Nigeria cap.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 04 Jan 2022 at 1:26pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Another in a growing list of young Irish forwards who just simply aren’t performing well enough. 

He doesn't want to play for us so who cares. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:41pm
As things stand he is still affiliated to us. That could change in time, but as of now he is in the pool of Irish prospects.

On a side not, I can only imagine him going out on loan or back to the U-23s at WH. Yarmolenko is secure as Antonio’s understudy, with Jarrod Bowen moving up top when necessary.

Edited by Het-field - 04 Jan 2022 at 1:43pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

As things stand he is still affiliated to us. That could change in time, but as of now he is in the pool of Irish prospects.

On a side not, I can only imagine him going out on loan or back to the U-23s at WH. Yarmolenko is secure as Antonio’s understudy, with Jarrod Bowen moving up top when necessary.

How is he affiliated to us? On a technicality because he was born here? He's literally made himself unavailable to play for us. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

If we're being realistic, he belongs in the same category as Dennis Cirkin until things change.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:48pm
My understanding is he has only played underage football
For Ireland, which creates an affiliation. His current actions would suggest that might change.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:12pm
Well I can't see England rushing to get him involved in their under 21s after a failed loan spell at Huddersfield. 

It's crazy for the likes of him and Obafemi to be turning down Ireland Under 21 call ups given how their club careers are going.

Elbouzedi got himself a career changing move to Sweden off the back of his Under 21 performances. These lads aren't as far as they might like to think they are from being in the same position as Elbouzedi was less than a year ago - making no impression at a League 2 club and in need of a break to save his career.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Well I can't see England rushing to get him involved in their under 21s after a failed loan spell at Huddersfield. 

It's crazy for the likes of him and Obafemi to be turning down Ireland Under 21 call ups given how their club careers are going.

Elbouzedi got himself a career changing move to Sweden off the back of his Under 21 performances. These lads aren't as far as they might like to think they are from being in the same position as Elbouzedi was less than a year ago - making no impression at a League 2 club and in need of a break to save his career.

Which is why I mentioned the word technicality earlier in the thread. The only thing stopping him from playing for another team is lack of interest.

And as things stand, he would rather twiddle his thumbs than play for us.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

If a woman deliberately leaves her purse on a table outside a cafe and goes inside to use the toilet, does she want it to get stolen? 

It's not really theft if the player is desperate to play for the country doing the stealing.

Okoflex (and his dad), for instance, seemed to be more proactive about initiating an Intl future with England than England ever were.

Odubeko strikes me as so ambivalent about us that he'd bite off your hand for a Nigeria cap.
I'm interested to hear why Okoflex has been thrown into the mix on this discussion regarding Odubeko. Was Okoflex (and his father) "desperate to play for" England? Or just "proactive about initiating an Intl future with England"? And what is the evidence for the latter- I have just seen uncertain and ambiguous comments from years ago, followed by call ups to our under 19 and 21 squads. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 04 Jan 2022 at 2:37pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:45pm
Okoflex has lined out for England in non-competitive games in the past. Under 16s I think it was, which is a non-competitive age group.

However, it's unclear as to whether he was actually eligible to play competitive games for them as he may not have lived in England for long enough before he moved to Celtic.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:48pm

Okoflex has lined out for England in non-competitive games in the past. Under 16s I think it was, which is a non-competitive age group.

However, it's unclear as to whether he was actually eligible to play competitive games for them as he may not have lived in England for long enough before he moved to Celtic.

That is correct. And has since played for us. Same as Anthony Scully I think. And plenty other lads with underage England caps like Josh Cullen and Callum Robinson. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:59pm
The difference between Oko-flex and the other players you mention (Scully, Cullen and Robinson) though is that he was born and raised in Ireland and has no parent or grandparent ties to England, similar to Odubeko.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:10pm

I'm aware of that snafu on Okoflex's part. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't aware the eligibility rules would rule him out of playing for England when he moved to Celtic. I'm pretty sure he's kicking himself about that now. His father as well. His father has been very influential in representing him all through his teenage years and has made evasive and vague comments about Okoflex's Intl future in the past. Statements from Okoflex's dad weren't/aren't hard to find BTW. The chap used to edit Armstrong's Wikipedia page himself!

Not sure why Scully, Robinson and Cullen are being brought up by the usual suspect(s) to try and muddy the waters now. Robinson and Cullen are ours. They've already played for us the mandatory # of times and, in any case, weren't good enough to play for England. Scully, likewise, isn't good enough to play for England and has been ignored by them at underage level but, in fairness to him, is fairly cut and dry about wanting to play for us.

Odubeko has repeatedly turned down call-ups, ignored communications with Crawford, and has got his agent to make non-committal statements about his future. Okoflex displayed zero interest in playing for us until he discovered the eligibility rules made him ineligible for England, and going by the last squad gathering, still has a take it or leave it attitude about playing for us.

All this has been covered already but a refresher is no harm.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 04 Jan 2022 at 3:14pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:15pm
You're jumping to conclusions there. How do you know Okoflex kicking himself about moving to Scotland? How do you know he has a take it or leave attotidue based on the last camp? Maybe he just wasn't selected. Didn't he turn up? I don't get this persistent skepticism. 

The skepticism on Odubeko is much fairer based on rejected call ups and he has shown little loyalty at club level so far in his career, not to mind international level, anyway. 

I'm bringing the other lads up not to muddy the waters but to demonstrate that one can tog out for two countries and commit to one eventually. Great to see that Scully gets the benefit of the doubt for you. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 04 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

You're jumping to conclusions there. How do you know Okoflex kicking himself about moving to Scotland? How do you know he has a take it or leave attotidue based on the last camp? Maybe he just wasn't selected. Didn't he turn up? I don't get this persistent skepticism. 

The skepticism on Odubeko is much fairer based on rejected call ups and he has shown little loyalty at club level so far in his career, not to mind international level, anyway. 

Not jumping to any conclusions, but then again you already know that. It's based on past actions and statements from Crawford. It's already well known that he wasn't aware the eligibility rules would rule him out when he moved to Scotland and were only discovered after the fact. He found out when everyone else did.

Not sure why this is such a  repeated sore point for you. 

You'd think you would've finally learned your lesson the first time after all your pontificating about Odubeko blew up in your face.

As YTM mentioned, the situations of Cullen, Robinson and Scully have absolutely no relevance to the discussion re: Odubeko and Okoflex and are only brought up in a clear attempt to obfuscate things by you. Again.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 04 Jan 2022 at 3:21pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 9:40pm

Excellent point.

There was no way El Bouzedi was going to be moving to one of the best teams in Sweden and playing European football from Waterford (hardly a big club, even by LOI standards), without the shop window of Ireland U21s matches polishing off their national team.  

Odebeko, Obafemi et al aren't doing themselves any favours, whatever about Ireland.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Excellent point.

There was no way El Bouzedi was going to be moving to one of the best teams in Sweden and playing European football from Waterford (hardly a big club, even by LOI standards), without the shop window of Ireland U21s matches polishing off their national team.  

Odebeko, Obafemi et al aren't doing themselves any favours, whatever about Ireland.

That's his Mexican cousin.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We need to move on from odubeko, okoflex and to some extent obafemi. Turning down caps when others work hard to be included. All three seem to have questionable attitudes (although that may be hearsay) none of them really good enough to start making demands.

Sotona from Malahide Mullingar (edit) too.  

Don't know what the story is there.  Seemed to be destined for great things when he was in the Man Utd academy and Patrick Viera regarded him highly at Nice apparently.  Haven't seen him in an Irish squad in years.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 04 Jan 2022 at 9:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 32>
  Share Topic