Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 125>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

A proper proud Irishman = Walters and Kilbane and anybody from Ireland but nobody else? Seems rational

It is the same old problem of people only seeing things through their own eyes. There were plenty of people sceptical of how Irish Connolly and Larkin were  back then too. 

I thought McGoldrick, for example, was an example of someone who had little or no connection to playing for Ireland, that he fell through a loophole through being adopted, when in reality a quick look online shows he is very proud to be Irish. Which only highlights how ridiculous it is to make presumptions and assumptions based on our own experiences and view of the world. 
It is in the realms of thought-crime. There is a reason why FIFA chose grandparent as the cut-off point and it seems fair to me. It is the last real link most people will have with a country.
Sure they all say that once they've got picked for us, same as the likes of Kane and Rooney most likely would have had they turned out to be Championship quality players,  but I tend to doubt any of them would have given a second thought to their Irishness had it not offered them a convenient route to international football. I mean what location your granny dropped out in to the world several decades before your existence doesn't have a pressing relevance to most peoples lives and identity and why would it?
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

A proper proud Irishman = Walters and Kilbane and anybody from Ireland but nobody else? Seems rational

It is the same old problem of people only seeing things through their own eyes. There were plenty of people sceptical of how Irish Connolly and Larkin were  back then too. 

I thought McGoldrick, for example, was an example of someone who had little or no connection to playing for Ireland, that he fell through a loophole through being adopted, when in reality a quick look online shows he is very proud to be Irish. Which only highlights how ridiculous it is to make presumptions and assumptions based on our own experiences and view of the world. 
It is in the realms of thought-crime. There is a reason why FIFA chose grandparent as the cut-off point and it seems fair to me. It is the last real link most people will have with a country.
Sure they all say that once they've got picked for us, same as the likes of Kane and Rooney most likely would have had they turned out to be Championship quality players,  but I tend to doubt any of them would have given a second thought to their Irishness had it not offered them a convenient route to international football. I mean what location your granny dropped out in to the world several decades before your existence doesn't have a pressing relevance to most peoples lives and identity and why would it?
It depends which granny; the dead one from Dublin I wouldn't be arsed about, the other one's birthplace was very relevant and important to me. Which is the point of this argument. Everybody's relationship with their families is different, the FIFA eligibility laws are fair enough as they  let anybody with a genuine connection to a country to play for that country. 
We have difficulty looking at things from a point of view other than our own, so if you don't care where your granny is from then it would be irrational for anybody else to care about where their granny is from.
We also overplay the importance of international football for most of these lads. It is more of a hindrance than  a help on their careers, so it is unlikely many of them are doing this for anything other than genuine reasons. I am sure there are exceptions to that, but we are unlikely to know that.

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:44pm
So would you accept it if I accused you of being a Dub because that was where one of your grandparents happened to originate or would you perhaps retort by saying that is of new direct relevance to your existence and identity? 
You can love your granny as much as you like , nobody is so socially maladjusted as to hark back to her childhood origins as the defining criteria for their sense of place in the world. At the very least its so unlikely as to be ruled out on the basis of probability, and yet so many Irish football fans cling so desperately to this fiction that most human beings would find ridiculous.

Edited by Conan - 04 Apr 2019 at 11:46pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

So would you accept it if I accused you of being a Dub because that was where one of your grandparents happened to originate or would you perhaps retort by saying that is of new direct relevance to your existence and identity? 
You can love your granny as much as you like , nobody is so socially maladjusted as to hark back to her childhood origins as the defining criteria for their sense of place in the world. At the very least its so unlikely as to be ruled out on the basis of probability, and yet so many Irish football fans cling so desperately to this fiction that most human beings would find ridiculous.
You are missing the point, somewhat deliberately I think. Let's just switch my examples around, imagine my other grandmothers swapped  and I was really close to my Dublin born and reared Nan, there is a fair chance I would have an affinity to Dublin, or at least hate the place less than I do.
Our views of the world, including our nationality(or nationalities) and what we accept that to be, are developed by experience and development as a child. Most children have an affinity with a grandparent, it isn't bizarre for a young lad to have an affinity to the place that shaped someone they cared about, particularly when they  have a different accent. That accent then becomes associated with the place an that association may never leave and, like everything in life, it won't be the same for all siblings. One child might have an enormous connection with his granny and her nationality, his twin might be closer to her husband and not her nationality. It may not be the defining criterion for their nationality, but other criteria will also affect it. I know of a few 'English' lads who would have played for Ireland based on their love of a grandparent. I don't think they were in any way 'socially maladjusted'.

I can't speak for everybody else, or anybody else, but I certainly don't cling to any fiction at all. I couldn't give a f**k whether they have any national affinity or none,  as long as they  try their best when they arrive. What is ridiculous is people trying to justify their own pathetic ethno-nationalism by dismissing people's personal identity because they can only understand the world from  their point of view. I think if you want that 'true Gael' nonsense, whatever the f**k that is, you would be better watching Mickey Kelly on RTÉ 2 on Sunday nights.

Just to go one step further, Ireland is full of people with 'connections' to football teams from cities to which people have no family connection at all.  I know hundreds of lads whose whole weekend seems to be dependent on a group of half-arsed mercenaries from around the world playing in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc. It is normal for Tommy from Tullamore, whose parents and grandparents are all from a thirty mile radius, to grow up wanting to play for Liverpool, but it is mad for Davie from Dagenham to want to play for his gran's homeland? 

Edited by pre Madonna - 05 Apr 2019 at 12:28am
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:47am

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

exactly what the f**k do you think of the ****s interview in his England jersey whitewashing his Eire days. If you think that is someone that was put off by O'Neill and Keane you are seriously deluded.

f**k Rice 

Half the lads playing for The EIRE now probably dreamed of playing for England.  What about the Italia 90 squad? Andy Townsend, Aldridge etc?  Don't tell me they loved The Eire growing up.  They played for us because they got an opportunity to play international football at a time it was a prestigious thing to do.  Rice is no different to them except he was given a window of opportunity to switch and get his game for England and he did just that.  The set up under MON was an absolute joke by the sounds of things and you have to be deluded yourself to think it had no bearing on his decision.  He personally witnessed Harry Arter being abused for absolutely no reason and rumours that he called Arter an English so ad so still circulate.   Arter supposedly said ''why the f**k do I bother?''

Rice is very talented and saw the shambles of training and a psycho as an assistant manager and probably thought this lot are a bunch of no hopers.  Then you have the England manager who comes across as a smart lad who believes in playing football (not dino ball) with a squad full of talent and says he wants you and sees you s a big part of his plans.  Who you going to pick?

MON could have played him for 2 mins in a competitive game but chose to play donkeys. MON does not believe in playing young players or even 26 year olds who he sees as young and not to be trusted.

All the English born lads in our squad would have picked England had they the chance. Let's not fool ourselves. Kilbane being the only exception.

I dont I agree with all the English born lads statement ^^. Aiden O’Brien and Callum O’Dowda are two I believe always wanted to be there. 100%. Clark is a strange one, I’ve met his Da and he said his son is so proud to represent Ireland and has been brought up 100% irish but he did pay for England underage. Richard Keogh too, he is fully committed to us he said he wanted to represent us over England im sure. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

exactly what the f**k do you think of the ****s interview in his England jersey whitewashing his Eire days. If you think that is someone that was put off by O'Neill and Keane you are seriously deluded.

f**k Rice 

Half the lads playing for The EIRE now probably dreamed of playing for England.  What about the Italia 90 squad? Andy Townsend, Aldridge etc?  Don't tell me they loved The Eire growing up.  They played for us because they got an opportunity to play international football at a time it was a prestigious thing to do.  Rice is no different to them except he was given a window of opportunity to switch and get his game for England and he did just that.  The set up under MON was an absolute joke by the sounds of things and you have to be deluded yourself to think it had no bearing on his decision.  He personally witnessed Harry Arter being abused for absolutely no reason and rumours that he called Arter an English so ad so still circulate.   Arter supposedly said ''why the f**k do I bother?''

Rice is very talented and saw the shambles of training and a psycho as an assistant manager and probably thought this lot are a bunch of no hopers.  Then you have the England manager who comes across as a smart lad who believes in playing football (not dino ball) with a squad full of talent and says he wants you and sees you s a big part of his plans.  Who you going to pick?

MON could have played him for 2 mins in a competitive game but chose to play donkeys. MON does not believe in playing young players or even 26 year olds who he sees as young and not to be trusted.

All the English born lads in our squad would have picked England had they the chance. Let's not fool ourselves. Kilbane being the only exception.

I dont I agree with all the English born lads statement ^^. Aiden O’Brien and Callum O’Dowda are two I believe always wanted to be there. 100%. Clark is a strange one, I’ve met his Da and he said his son is so proud to represent Ireland and has been brought up 100% irish but he did pay for England underage. Richard Keogh too, he is fully committed to us he said he wanted to represent us over England im sure. 

Off topic but did anybody else see Alistair McGowan's brilliant take off of Gary Lineker and Mark Lawrensen on MOTD recalling Marks days in green. Completely ripped the piss out of his association with us.

Lawro apparently vetoed it and it's no longer available anywhere. It was brilliant. 

Edited by McG - 05 Apr 2019 at 8:46am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:09am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Blaming O'Neill for Rice's decision.

I know. LOL

Everybody knows it was Roy's fault. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 12:02pm

I can't speak for everybody else, or anybody else, but I certainly don't cling to any fiction at all. I couldn't give a f**k whether they have any national affinity or none,  as long as they  try their best when they arrive. What is ridiculous is people trying to justify their own pathetic ethno-nationalism by dismissing people's personal identity because they can only understand the world from  their point of view. I think if you want that 'true Gael' nonsense, whatever the f**k that is, you would be better watching Mickey Kelly on RTÉ 2 on Sunday nights.
I've no idea what the issue with Joe Brolly is, but it's not unreasonable or quasi-sectarian/racist to question a players affinity for the country he's declared for. My reasoning is rooted in your following comment.

Just to go one step further, Ireland is full of people with 'connections' to football teams from cities to which people have no family connection at all.  I know hundreds of lads whose whole weekend seems to be dependent on a group of half-arsed mercenaries from around the world playing in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc. It is normal for Tommy from Tullamore, whose parents and grandparents are all from a thirty mile radius, to grow up wanting to play for Liverpool, but it is mad for Davie from Dagenham to want to play for his gran's homeland? 
Tommy from Tullamore, like the thousands of Irish supporters who trek over the UK every weekend, is mental. I have absolutely no idea how Irish people follow random British clubs with lavishly paid hired-hands from the four corners of the globe. I don't even understand how people who live next to the stadia do. How is there any glory in winning because a billionaire from the Middle-east decided to dabble in football? Club football, in the supporting sense, holds zero appeal to me. The rich team is inevitably the one that wins...exciting.

Thus, I and many national team supporters need to feel the players have at least some connection with this country to find it worthwhile. I don't know exactly what the grounds for that affinity should be; and I accept things can get murky when you attempt to define these things.

However, I have issue with the requirement simply being a player trying. If the requirement was just that a patient tried this would render international football, at least for me, redundant. Countries with greater financial muscle would take the best from elsewhere (I'm sure they'd be happy to try their best for the right financial rewards) and it would be as same pointless as club football. Perhaps it already is to a degree, but I'm happy to live in ignorance for another few years.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

I've no idea what the issue with Joe Brolly is, but it's not unreasonable or quasi-sectarian/racist to question a players affinity for the country he's declared for. My reasoning is rooted in your following comment.

Tommy from Tullamore, like the thousands of Irish supporters who trek over the UK every weekend, is mental. I have absolutely no idea how Irish people follow random British clubs with lavishly paid hired-hands from the four corners of the globe. I don't even understand how people who live next to the stadia do. How is there any glory in winning because a billionaire from the Middle-east decided to dabble in football? Club football, in the supporting sense, holds zero appeal to me. The rich team is inevitably the one that wins...exciting.

Thus, I and many national team supporters need to feel the players have at least some connection with this country to find it worthwhile. I don't know exactly what the grounds for that affinity should be; and I accept things can get murky when you attempt to define these things.

However, I have issue with the requirement simply being a player trying. If the requirement was just that a patient tried this would render international football, at least for me, redundant. Countries with greater financial muscle would take the best from elsewhere (I'm sure they'd be happy to try their best for the right financial rewards) and it would be as same pointless as club football. Perhaps it already is to a degree, but I'm happy to live in ignorance for another few years.
The requirement isn't simply trying though, is it? It is being eligible and trying,because after that it is in the realms of thought-crime. We have no idea how important playing for Ireland is or isn't for them. As I have said before, I am sure there are plenty of Irish  born and reared lads who it doesn't mean that much to, I am sure some of them have already played for us and gone unquestioned, while Irish lads from Birmingham,Manchester and London have had their Irish identity questioned by everyone.
Which is why I said it was ethno-nationalistic, which it clearly is. I never mentioned racism or sectarianism, which are two different things, although ethno-nationalism and racism are often bedfellows. The reason I mentioned Joe Brolly was his love of 'true Gaels' and all that nonsense. There is an ethno-nationalistic streak that still runs through the GAA and one that I have always found disturbing. It is part of what making being a football fan in Ireland, or rugby for that matter, so appealing. I hate to see Irish football fans go down a similar route.

Edited by pre Madonna - 05 Apr 2019 at 5:24pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:05pm
Seems to be two camps on this thread: those who think they can speak for every single player born outside the 32 counties who has even lined out for us and ever will, and those that say that’s not possible. 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:34pm

Seems to be two camps on this thread: those who think they can speak for every single player born outside the 32 counties who has even lined out for us and ever will, and those that say that’s not possible. 

The easiest way to do it would be to make them pass a test before they are allowed to put on the green jersey. It would remove all time wasters. Some sample questions could be:

-Do you have a relative called John or Mary? (Bonus points for Séan, Eoin, Máire or Maura)

-Who played Sean Thornton in 'The Quiet Man'?

-What breakfast item does Ryan Tubridy most resemble?

- What is the hot press?

-What is the Hot Press?

- What is the plural of Taoiseach?

- Which Boyzone member had sisters in B*witched?

-What is the quickest way out of Thurles on Munster Final day? (Please include all workings)

-How long should a wedding last?

-How much should a wedding cost? (Please include all workings)

-Describe Bono in one-word or less?

- Pronounce the following words: yoghurt, film, vehicle, committee and sandwich.

-In 500 words or more, describe the best pint of Guinness in Ireland. Using the maps provided, please give an approximation of where the establishment is on the map.

That sort of thing.

Edited by pre Madonna - 05 Apr 2019 at 4:35pm
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
Michaél Ó Bafemi is Irish as they come.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Embarrassed Jaysis.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:16pm

Embarrassed Jaysis.

Just a riff on a joke Obama made when he was over in Moneygall. You like Obama, don't you?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:23pm
You know what would be really funny? If somebody called him O’bafemi instead of Obafemi LOLLOLCryCry
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:34pm

There is no fada in Michael but there is in Micheál. It amazes me the amount of Irish people who get it wrong. Even Michael Obafemi knows this.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:37pm

Embarrassed Jaysis.

Just a riff on a joke Obama made when he was over in Moneygall. You like Obama, don't you?
Nope, he's a mass murdering ****.Thumbs Up
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:11pm

Embarrassed Jaysis.

Nope, he's a mass murdering ****.Thumbs Up

What was it about the bombing of eight separate countries, increasing drone strikes tenfold over the neocon Bush administration, increasing special forces deployments to 70% of the globe (138 countries) and dropping more than 26,000 bombs in a single year that put you off? I mean he said all the right things...

Edited by NewtNewbie - 05 Apr 2019 at 11:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 125>
  Share Topic