You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"McGeadski"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "McGeadski"
    Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 5:42pm
%20Aiden%20McGeady%20

Reluctant to move: Celtic star Aiden McGeady

Spartak Moscow fans have dubbed Aiden McGeady as ‘McGreedski’ and threatened revolt over the vast sums being offered to the winger.

Sportsmail understands the unsettled Celtic star has been offered £2.5million a
year after tax with the Russians — in excess of £50,000 a week — substantially more than the sums currently provoking unrest among Spartak fans.

Although initially reluctant to move to Russia, Spartak sources were confident last
night they had secured their man. However, his welcome could be less warm from
team-mates and supporters over the willingness of his new suitors to smash their
salary structure for him.

The final throw of the dice for under-fire coach Valery Karpin, McGeady’s arrival would not be unanimously popular, with Spartak fans’ leader Ivan Katanaev declaring: ‘Who is McGeady? He didn’t play anywhere, except for Celtic, so why are we praying he joins our Spartak?’

Kostya Hlebnikov, a 24-year-old Spartak fan, was equally unhappy, saying: ‘He should be called McGreedski not McGeady for asking for more money.

‘Just look at him — he is interested only in money. If Spartak pays more, he will join the club.

‘But for £10m, we could get something we really need, like a new arena. He is being offered over £40,000 per week — more than anyone in Spartak is paid.

‘He wants a personal contract. I don’t think a player with his abilities deserves such big money.’

Aiden%20McGeady

In Moscow: McGeady is being showed around

Moscow newspaper Sport Express also expressed concerns over Spartak’s willingness to pay McGeady more than other players.

An editorial read: ‘In Spartak, they always kept to a very reasonable rule of limit on footballers’ wages. They believe that a big difference in players’ incomes is bad for the
team’s morale and spirit.

‘Two million pounds a year, which the press talk about now, clearly exceeds this. Evidently, it was the only way to lure him to Spartak.’

The paper also predicted McGeady would be homesick and ‘feel low, as if in exile’.

More favourably, however, Sport Express added: ‘In Scotland, they called him The King of the Wing and he was highly valued for his great versatility.’

McGeady was yesterday shown around Spartak’s Soviet-era training base as the Russian club rolled out the red carpet to the player, his girlfriend and agent.

‘McGeady is in Moscow, we are showing him everything,’ said a source. ‘We are very close to getting his signature.’

The club imposed a media blackout as the 24-year-old was shown the spartan training camp with three pitches, one heated, an hour and a half outside Moscow.

McGeady has also been offered an interpreter, bodyguard, driver and chef to ensure he can cope with language problems and settle in a city that yesterday remained shrouded in smog caused by peat and forest fires.

There was also a visit to the rented Luzhniki Stadium, where Celtic earned a 1-1 draw under Gordon Strachan. Currently without their own arena, Spartak plan to build a new stadium as part of Russia’s 2018 World Cup bid. Spartak sit eighth in the Russian league, 19 points behind Zenit St Petersburg.

Sponsored Links

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:29pm

Dont think Villa would be able to offer him that much anyway, Young and Carew among top earners which is around 50k, don't think Martin will offer him top earner wages if he rejects this move.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:15am
But Sono I think he would lower his demands if he was to stay in Britain. Just if I was going to move to Russia I'd want them to make it worth my while
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:29am
its say its more Celtic pushing this move than McGeady. They'd be delighted with £10m for him. I reckon he's not keen at all on the move but will make a fast buck over there

Dawg getting paid
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

its say its more Celtic pushing this move than McGeady. They'd be delighted with £10m for him. I reckon he's not keen at all on the move but will make a fast buck over there

Dawg getting paid

Celtic obviously pushing him out to get the money. He seems reluctant.
Can see him lasting a season there tops. But you never know, could do well there and then get a move to Germany/Spain or somewhere. Be good to see an Irish player being sucessful on the continent for a change
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:13am
does that newspaper really expect us to believe that the Russian fan came up with the McGreedski nickname and not them?
LOL
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

does that newspaper really expect us to believe that the Russian fan came up with the McGreedski nickname and not them?
LOL

LOLwas thinking the exact same!
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Mr Marbles View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Marbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL

LOLwas thinking the exact same!

Same here What a load of sh*t
Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:02am
Aiden McGeady’s move to Spartak Moscow has made significant process after the player flew into the Russian capital to discuss terms over his proposed transfer from Celtic, according to the Sport Express.

The Republic of Ireland international is the subject of a £9 million bid from the Russian club and on his visit to Moscow McGeady, along with his girlfriend and agent, received the red carpet treatment.

The winger was initially reluctant to move to Russia where he would have to adapt to the drastic change in lifestyle, but Moscow officials are confident that they have done enough to change his mind.

It was expected that the 24-year-old was going to sit tight and wait for his former manager  Martin O’Neill to make an offer regarding a move to Villa Park, with the Premier League his preferred destination.

But it seems that McGeady has been lured by the whole package at Spartak Moscow, who have been determined to sign the player all summer.

Spartak are prepared to offer the player a contract worth £2.5m a year after tax, a sum which would make the Brit easily the best paid player at the club.

It is thought that the Russian club also have guaranteed the player a personal driver, a translator and full body guard service to make his move into the country as easy as possible, whilst the club promised to change some of their menu to appease his food preferences.  

McGeady, who missed both of Celtic’s Champions League qualifiers against Braga, has been given a tour of the city where he browsed at luxury apartments.

However, it has been reported that Spartak fans are far from happy at their club’s potential new signing, who many have labelled as greedy and not fully committed to signing for the nine-time Russian champions.

The club are smashing their transfer record and ignoring their strict salary structure in order to land their man.

Neil Lennon will be eager for the transfer to be completed as soon as possible especially now any potential Champions League revenue is no longer an option.

Lennon revealed earlier in the week that he expected to be given the whole £9m to rebuild his squad, as Celtic attempt to regain their position as the best team in Scotland.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:33am
Breaking news 
McGeady will make a decision on any move in the next 48 hours.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:03am
all id say on it is hands up anyone on here that would turn down for years work at 50,000 grand a week?good luck to him.Clap
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

all id say on it is hands up anyone on here that would turn down for years work at 50,000 grand a week?good luck to him.Clap

True. Do it for a year. Russian League is of higher standard than Scottish and if he does well could get a high profile move.

A lot of travelling for Ireland matches though. Handy for Russia away though
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:20am
He'll have a lot of competition for a place in the team if he does go to Spartak Moscow. He better put his feet down and make the most of the opportunity he's getting. The Champions League will be the window for a bigger and better move in the future.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
are Spartak automatically qualified? Second last year weren't they?
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:31am
Yes. They will be in the group stages.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

handy for armenia , handy for macedonia , not too bad for slovakia , he's better off over there for this campaign!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:54am
best of luck to him if he goes
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

handy for armenia , handy for macedonia , not too bad for slovakia , he's better off over there for this campaign!

Was just on the phone to him, that's the main reason he'll move to Spartak, keep himself fresh with short journeys for the Ireland away games.... his main focus
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic