Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 2:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "McGeadski"
Posted By: Propagandhi
Subject: "McGeadski"
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 5:42pm
%20Aiden%20McGeady%20

Reluctant to move: Celtic star Aiden McGeady

Spartak Moscow fans have dubbed Aiden McGeady as ‘McGreedski’ and threatened revolt over the vast sums being offered to the winger.

Sportsmail understands the unsettled http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/teampages/celtic.html - Celtic star has been offered £2.5million a
year after tax with the Russians — in excess of £50,000 a week — substantially more than the sums currently provoking unrest among Spartak fans.

Although initially reluctant to move to Russia, Spartak sources were confident last
night they had secured their man. However, his welcome could be less warm from
team-mates and supporters over the willingness of his new suitors to smash their
salary structure for him.

The final throw of the dice for under-fire coach Valery Karpin, McGeady’s arrival would not be unanimously popular, with Spartak fans’ leader Ivan Katanaev declaring: ‘Who is McGeady? He didn’t play anywhere, except for Celtic, so why are we praying he joins our Spartak?’

Kostya Hlebnikov, a 24-year-old Spartak fan, was equally unhappy, saying: ‘He should be called McGreedski not McGeady for asking for more money.

‘Just look at him — he is interested only in money. If Spartak pays more, he will join the club.

‘But for £10m, we could get something we really need, like a new arena. He is being offered over £40,000 per week — more than anyone in Spartak is paid.

‘He wants a personal contract. I don’t think a player with his abilities deserves such big money.’

Aiden%20McGeady

In Moscow: McGeady is being showed around

Moscow newspaper Sport Express also expressed concerns over Spartak’s willingness to pay McGeady more than other players.

An editorial read: ‘In Spartak, they always kept to a very reasonable rule of limit on footballers’ wages. They believe that a big difference in players’ incomes is bad for the
team’s morale and spirit.

‘Two million pounds a year, which the press talk about now, clearly exceeds this. Evidently, it was the only way to lure him to Spartak.’

The paper also predicted McGeady would be homesick and ‘feel low, as if in exile’.

More favourably, however, Sport Express added: ‘In Scotland, they called him The King of the Wing and he was highly valued for his great versatility.’

McGeady was yesterday shown around Spartak’s Soviet-era training base as the Russian club rolled out the red carpet to the player, his girlfriend and agent.

‘McGeady is in Moscow, we are showing him everything,’ said a source. ‘We are very close to getting his signature.’

The club imposed a media blackout as the 24-year-old was shown the spartan training camp with three pitches, one heated, an hour and a half outside Moscow.

McGeady has also been offered an interpreter, bodyguard, driver and chef to ensure he can cope with language problems and settle in a city that yesterday remained shrouded in smog caused by peat and forest fires.

There was also a visit to the rented Luzhniki Stadium, where Celtic earned a 1-1 draw under Gordon Strachan. Currently without their own arena, Spartak plan to build a new stadium as part of Russia’s 2018 World Cup bid. Spartak sit eighth in the Russian league, 19 points behind Zenit St Petersburg.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Replies:
Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:29pm

Dont think Villa would be able to offer him that much anyway, Young and Carew among top earners which is around 50k, don't think Martin will offer him top earner wages if he rejects this move.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:15am
But Sono I think he would lower his demands if he was to stay in Britain. Just if I was going to move to Russia I'd want them to make it worth my while

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:29am
its say its more Celtic pushing this move than McGeady. They'd be delighted with £10m for him. I reckon he's not keen at all on the move but will make a fast buck over there

Dawg getting paid

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

its say its more Celtic pushing this move than McGeady. They'd be delighted with £10m for him. I reckon he's not keen at all on the move but will make a fast buck over there

Dawg getting paid

Celtic obviously pushing him out to get the money. He seems reluctant.
Can see him lasting a season there tops. But you never know, could do well there and then get a move to Germany/Spain or somewhere. Be good to see an Irish player being sucessful on the continent for a change

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:13am
does that newspaper really expect us to believe that the Russian fan came up with the McGreedski nickname and not them?
LOL

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

does that newspaper really expect us to believe that the Russian fan came up with the McGreedski nickname and not them?
LOL

LOLwas thinking the exact same!

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: Mr Marbles
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 8:36am

LOL

LOLwas thinking the exact same!

Same here What a load of sh*t

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:02am
http://www.goal.com/en/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady ’s move to http://www.goal.com/en/teams/russia/196/spartak - Spartak Moscow has made significant process after the player flew into the Russian capital to discuss terms over his proposed transfer from http://www.goal.com/en/teams/scotland/265/celtic - Celtic, according to the Sport Express.

The Republic of Ireland international is the subject of a £9 million bid from the Russian club and on his visit to Moscow McGeady, along with his girlfriend and agent, received the red carpet treatment.

The winger was initially reluctant to move to Russia where he would have to adapt to the drastic change in lifestyle, but Moscow officials are confident that they have done enough to change his mind.

It was expected that the 24-year-old was going to sit tight and wait for his former manager  Martin O’Neill to make an offer regarding a move to Villa Park, with the Premier League his preferred destination.

But it seems that McGeady has been lured by the whole package at Spartak Moscow, who have been determined to sign the player all summer.

Spartak are prepared to offer the player a contract worth £2.5m a year after tax, a sum which would make the Brit easily the best paid player at the club.

It is thought that the Russian club also have guaranteed the player a personal driver, a translator and full body guard service to make his move into the country as easy as possible, whilst the club promised to change some of their menu to appease his food preferences.  

McGeady, who missed both of Celtic’s Champions League qualifiers against Braga, has been given a tour of the city where he browsed at luxury apartments.

However, it has been reported that Spartak fans are far from happy at their club’s potential new signing, who many have labelled as greedy and not fully committed to signing for the nine-time Russian champions.

The club are smashing their transfer record and ignoring their strict salary structure in order to land their man.

Neil Lennon will be eager for the transfer to be completed as soon as possible especially now any potential Champions League revenue is no longer an option.

Lennon revealed earlier in the week that he expected to be given the whole £9m to rebuild his squad, as Celtic attempt to regain their position as the best team in Scotland.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:33am
Breaking news 
McGeady will make a decision on any move in the next 48 hours.

-------------

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:03am
all id say on it is hands up anyone on here that would turn down for years work at 50,000 grand a week?good luck to him.Clap

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

all id say on it is hands up anyone on here that would turn down for years work at 50,000 grand a week?good luck to him.Clap

True. Do it for a year. Russian League is of higher standard than Scottish and if he does well could get a high profile move.

A lot of travelling for Ireland matches though. Handy for Russia away though

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:20am
He'll have a lot of competition for a place in the team if he does go to Spartak Moscow. He better put his feet down and make the most of the opportunity he's getting. The Champions League will be the window for a bigger and better move in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
are Spartak automatically qualified? Second last year weren't they?

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:31am
Yes. They will be in the group stages.

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

handy for armenia , handy for macedonia , not too bad for slovakia , he's better off over there for this campaign!

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:54am
best of luck to him if he goes

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

handy for armenia , handy for macedonia , not too bad for slovakia , he's better off over there for this campaign!

Was just on the phone to him, that's the main reason he'll move to Spartak, keep himself fresh with short journeys for the Ireland away games.... his main focus

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Justice No. 1
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Was just on the phone to him, that's the main reason he'll move to Spartak, keep himself fresh with short journeys for the Ireland away games.... his main focus
LOLLOLLOL In other unrelated news I have relaible information that the weasel is extremely drunk and listening to Whitney Houston at home by the way. just thought I'd give you the heads up

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 12:29pm
6.1 News says trap has advised him not to move to spartak

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 12:29pm
Republic of Ireland assistant manager Marco Tardelli has given Aiden McGeady's proposed transfer to Spartak Moscow his approval believing it could benefit the national team.

Speaking exclusively to Goal.com, the Italian said the move could help the Boys in Green who take on Russia in a European Championship qualifier in Dublin's new Aviva stadium in October.

“It’s a good thing for us because he’ll know the other team and the other players. It’s important to have a new experience for the international football. I think it’s a good chance for him.

"It’s a good thing for him because to go to a strange country is different. We need the very strong characters and he needs to know the other styles of football. It’s a good thing for him to have a new coach."

McGeady, 24, has been the subject of persistent interest from the Russian side who are prepared to pay £9m for the player's services. He has already visited Moscow with his girlfriend and his agent to view the facilities and the city as he weighs up the proposed move.

Meanwhile, Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni told reporters in Dublin that he will speak with McGeady ahead of the friendly match with Argentina next week and said that Russian football is quite difficult.

“I haven’t spoken with him. I would like to speak to him when he’s here because I wish to clarify with him something about Russian football. I don’t know if he wishes another experience because Russian football at the moment is rich [with players], very important players, European players.

“For me I can tell him my experience, Russia is a beautiful country but the football is very difficult.”

McGeady was dropped by Celtic boss Neil Lennon for both Champions League matches with Braga and isn't cup tied for European football this season. The player is understood to be making a final decision on his future within the next 48 hours.

Spartak Moscow technical director Dmitri Popov has tempted McGeady with a huge salary believed to be in the region of £2.5 million a year after tax. He told reporters that the decision rests solely in McGeady's hands now.

"In the coming days, McGeady must decide.I don’t know who he will consult but I can safely say the football version of The Forsyte Saga will be completed soon."

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 7:10am
http://www.goal.com/en/people/russia/1765/valeri-karpin - Valery Karpin has announced he expects http://www.goal.com/en/teams/scotland/265/celtic - Celtic midfielder http://www.goal.com/en/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady to sign a deal next week to complete his move to http://www.goal.com/en/teams/russia/196/spartak - Spartak Moscow . Head coach Karpin spoke about his impressions of the Scottish-born Republic of Ireland international as the deal edges closer to completion.

"McGeady can be expected to sign next week. On Tuesday we talked with him in Tarasovka [Spartak's training facility] and I confess he left a very good impression. He is a solid young man who clearly loves his football.

"Everyone forgets that McGeady is born and raised in Britain and a departure from home is always a difficult event. His desire to become acquainted with Russia and Moscow is completely understandable. He didn't ask for any special conditions and much of what people say and write does not correspond with reality.

"He only asked for a driver to accompany him for the first three months, because he is not accustomed to 'Russian roads'. He calmed down when he learnt that many of our players have private drivers," Karpin told Sport Express.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 7:34am

Tardelli has a good point. Would be good for more of our players to be playing in Europe and learning new techniques to British football

Posted By: MrFantastico
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:03am
would be a good move if he settled in playing regular football against good teams and champions league will be good

-------------
We hate princess diana, we hate elton john too, we hate orange bastards but rovers we love you.    KOH

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 5:49pm

Every one of Celtic's players wants Aiden McGeady to stay at the club, according to captain Scott Brown.

Speculation about McGeady's future has dominated the build-up to the Hoops' Clydesdale Bank Premier League season, with several clubs thought to be vying for his services. Brown believes the winger would grace any league in the world but is desperate for him to remain at Parkhead once the transfer window closes.

"I think everyone in the dressing room wants him to stay," he said. "Aiden's a fantastic player. I think he'd fit in well to any Premier League team as well."

He added: "If he goes, we wish him all the best, but we hope he stays."

McGeady made his first appearance in a Hoops jersey since May this afternoon, playing almost an hour of his club's 2-2 Emirates Cup draw against Lyon.

He showed glimpses of the talent that have seen Spartak Moscow lodge a bid - reportedly £9.5million - for his services and rumoured interest from Aston Villa and Tottenham.

Brown said: "He's a huge player for us, he's great, he's talented, can create chances and score goals.

"We've maybe missed that in the last couple of games but you've seen over the last four or five seasons he's played for Celtic, he's been frightening.

"He creates chances from nothing."

He's created bupkis for Ireland.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 6:38am

Tardelli has a good point. Would be good for more of our players to be playing in Europe and learning new techniques to British football

Absolutely. We love the game in Britain and Ireland but its plain to see that we aren't the best at playing it so learning different styles of football can only be good . . I personally think moving to Spartak would be a better move than moving to Aston Villa . .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 12:10pm
Zenit V Spartak is on ESPN in a few mins

EDIT: Match called off. probably because of the fires.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 12:54pm
http://videocelts.com/2010/08/blogs/neil-lennon-confirms-aiden-mcgeadys-departure

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 1:16pm

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has admitted he has resigned himself to Aiden McGeady leaving the club and cannot now see him heading anywhere but Spartak Moscow.

Lennon spoke to the midfielder since his visit to Moscow and believes the trip has sold McGeady on the £9.5million move.

Celtic lost their final pre-season game 2-1 at home to Blackburn without McGeady being involved and Lennon, who claims he will receive "all the money" from any sale, believes the transfer could be sealed within 48 hours.

He said: "He was in yesterday and more or less said his goodbyes really so we'll see how that develops over the next one or two days. I would probably think it will be Moscow.

"He's going to go to Moscow in the next few days and get the deal finalised and that will be a relief in terms of putting the deal to bed because the sooner it's done the better. I'll get all the money.

"I won't be relieved at Aiden going because I'll be losing my best player and nobody wants to do that, but we feel it's good money for a top player.

"Having spoken to him yesterday he seemed a lot more settled. He said he liked what he saw. I'd like to think the way he was talking, this is the club he will go to unless something happens last minute."

It is understood McGeady would prefer to move to the Premier League and he has been linked with Aston Villa, managed by his former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill, but Lennon doubts there will be a twist in the tale.

He added: "From what I gather it should get done over the next couple of days.

"It's not England, but you can't always get what you want in football. He's going to a big club with a decent pedigree and it might develop him further. All we can do is wish him the best."

-------------

Posted By: Propagandhi®
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:12pm

http://www.goal.com/en/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady is set to complete his transfer to http://www.goal.com/en/teams/russia/196/spartak - Spartak Moscow in the next two days, according to the Russian club's sporting director Dmitri Popov.

The Celtic winger travelled to Moscow last week where he spoke to officials from Spartak and it is now understood that he has finally been persuaded to join the club.

The Republic of Ireland international has been given permission by his national team manager Giovanni Trapattoni to miss his countries game against Argentina on Wednesday in order to settle his club future.

Celtic are set to receive £9.5 million for the transfer of McGeady, who has also been linked with a move to Aston Villa.

However, despite Villa’s strong interest they were never in a position to make a formal offer, with the sale of James Milner progressing longer than they would have hoped for, which has given Spartak the green light to conclude the deal.

“Celtic midfielder Aiden McGeady will sign a contract in the next two days with Spartak,” Popov said to Bobsoccer.

"McGeady also had a proposal from Rubin Kazan but the player chose Spartak. This means that our brand means something in football. Tomorrow or the day after everything will be concluded."

Meanwhile, one player who won’t be playing with McGeady at Spartak is Stipe Pletikosa, who is close to joining Harry Redknapp’s Tottenham.

The 31-year-old goalkeeper is travelling to London where he will finalise his switch and provide competition for Heurelho Gomes and Carlo Cudicini.

"Yes tomorrow he (Pletikosa) will arrive in London for examinations," Popov replied when asked about Pletikosa’s transfer to White Hart Lane.

The transfer has gathered pace after Spartak signed Alexandr Belenov as a replacement for the Croatian keeper.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 4:30pm
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/scotland/265/celtic - Celtic legend Tommy Gemmell has declared http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady still has much to prove when he seals his switch to http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/russia/196/spartak - Spartak Moscow .

McGeady, 24, is expected to wrap up a £9.5 million move to Russia in the coming days once he passes a medical in Frankfurt, Germany. Despite being linked with Aston Villa, the Republic of Ireland international has chosen to run down the wing at the Luzhniki Stadium.

Gemmell says there is still room for improvement with McGeady and this scuppered his dream of a move to the Premier League.

He said: "Peter Lawwell [Celtic chief executive] has done a great job getting almost £10million from Spartak.

"I get the impression Aiden was holding off to see if he could get a club in England.

"But with the size of the transfer fee, I don't think there would be a team in England who would be interested in paying that for Aiden McGeady.

"The way I look at it is he [Martin O'Neill wanted to sign Aiden McGeady and I don't think Villa wanted to go above the £5million limit.

"Aiden has got to go to Moscow and prove himself.

"If you don't do the business, there is nobody interested in you.

"He is still improving. He has a lot of things to prove to the football world and a lot of improvement to make in his own game.

"He has to gel with the players around him, which sometimes didn't happen at Celtic."

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 6:47am
http://www.goal.com/en/teams/scotland/265/celtic - Celtic midfielder http://www.goal.com/en/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady has completed his medical for http://www.goal.com/en/teams/russia/196/spartak - Spartak Moscow and will be an official Red and White player by the end of the week according to Sovetsky Sport.

The Russian media source has stated that the Moscow side expect McGeady to make his debut on Saturday week when Spartak host Tom Tomsk of Siberia. McGeady will be spared the long travelling requirements of the RPL for his first match at least, which will allow him time to familiarise himself with his new home.

Differing sources across Russia still debate the wage agreement in the contract, ranging from €1.5-3 million a year and it looks like we will have to wait for an official announcement, if there is one.

Spartak will face rivals Lokomotiv in the Moscow derby this weekend, a highly important encounter for both if they have any ambitions of reaching Europe next year.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 5:16pm

http://www.goal.com/en/teams/scotland/265/celtic - Celtic winger http://www.goal.com/en/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady has agreed to join Russian outfit Spartak Moscow on a four and a half-year deal according to Sky Sports News.

The transfer had been widely anticipated, with Bhoys manager Neil Lennon saying earlier today:

"We're hoping it's going to get over the line on Thursday or Friday,

"He was having a medical with Moscow. I'm sure that will be fine - hopefully it will be done this week.

"We're working very hard behind the scenes to bring in players in the positions we want," he continued.

"I don't know if we'll have anything for you before the weekend but we're hoping."

It is unclear whether Celtic will splash any of the money from the transfer fee to replace McGeady, with manager Neil Lennon having touted Paddy McCourt as a natural replacement.

“He's playing against Michel Salgado, who has been a world-class full-back, and given him a really tough time for long periods of the game.

"He's wonderful to watch. He's beautifully balanced and he's got great vision and great feet and that's why we decided to get him on a longer-term contract. He's pleased and we're pleased.

"They're different types of players. Paddy doesn't have Aiden's dynamic style of play, but he's got qualities that more than make up for that in his vision, touch and timing of passes. We'd all love to see Paddy play 25-30 games a season, but you have to take it week by week."

Spartak boss Valery Karpin also spoke of the deal to bring the Irish winger to Russia: "McGeady is a different type of player.

"He is not what you would call a typical British winger or wide player who just takes the ball and crosses it into the box.

"McGeady can take the ball down and play football on the ground with skill.

"Another option he gives to us is the ability to play on the left side and the right, so he's not one-sided in that respect.

"As I have said, I'm sure he will be good for us."

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 7:11am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8896037.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8896037.stm
McGeadys Transfer confirmed

-------------

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 7:28am
Best of luck Aiden

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 8:10am
Still cant understand that transfer, but best of luck Aiden!Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Still cant understand that transfer, but best of luck Aiden!Thumbs%20Up

Rumour has it he is on significantly more wages than revealed

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 9:22am
the moscow supporters are happy to get him anywa y, lots of smiles faces on their forum , i couldnt understand the rest !!

-------------

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 9:58am

the moscow supporters are happy to get him anywa y, lots of smiles faces on their forum , i couldnt understand the rest !!
Send me a link to the forum RM.
I can use Google translate Cool

-------------
Out of order

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 10:02am

If you translate it it the words in the sentences will all be mixed up in some hotchpotch of pidgin english.

Coming McGeady just because of money the here. He piss off Scotland back he so should to.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 4:46pm

Interesting quotes from an interview with McGeady in todays press -

McGeady’s decision to play for the Republic of Ireland made him a target for a heightened level of abuse from the stands. “There are a lot of horrible places in Scotland for that type of thing: Tynecastle, Ibrox obviously is always going to be bad with the Celtic-Rangers rivalry, Motherwell, Falkirk. Some fans there hate everything Celtic stand for and everything I stand for as an Irish Catholic playing for Celtic.”

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 4:49pm
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/celtic/exclusive-aiden-mcgeady-explains-how-leaving-glasgow-is-the-most-eloquent-answer-to-his-detractors-1.1048663 - McGeady interview

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:04am

Interesting quotes from an interview with McGeady in todays press -

McGeady’s decision to play for the Republic of Ireland made him a target for a heightened level of abuse from the stands. “There are a lot of horrible places in Scotland for that type of thing: Tynecastle, Ibrox obviously is always going to be bad with the Celtic-Rangers rivalry, Motherwell, Falkirk. Some fans there hate everything Celtic stand for and everything I stand for as an Irish Catholic playing for Celtic.”

sounds a bit like this forum LOL

-------------

Posted By: larryduff
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:09am
First post on this forum. Good site and was in the singing section last week for first time which was great.
Anyway found that McGeady interview to be very interesting. Amount of stick he got for playing for Ireland was unreal. Really hope this move works out for him. The point he makes about the number of assists he makes is valid too in an international context where it was often overlooked when he was being criticised at end of last campaign.
Know he has the ability to do well over there and I think he will. Hard to force his way into Trap's first eleven as we are strong outwide.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:13am
Originally posted by larryduff larryduff wrote:

First post on this forum. Good site and was in the singing section last week for first time which was great.
Anyway found that McGeady interview to be very interesting. Amount of stick he got for playing for Ireland was unreal. Really hope this move works out for him. The point he makes about the number of assists he makes is valid too in an international context where it was often overlooked when he was being criticised at end of last campaign.
Know he has the ability to do well over there and I think he will. Hard to force his way into Trap's first eleven as we are strong outwide.

he is more gifted than the likes of Lawerence and Hunt etc and up there with Duff. He just hasn't really done it at international level apart from a few glimpses. But I still have high hopes for him and just hope the move works out and he's a star over there and then he can finally show us what he is capable of at international level

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:47am

Welcome to the site, tell all your friends to join and go to the singing section. The more the better.

And I think McGeady may find Russia easier than expected as there would be no personal abuse hurled at him.

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:58am
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Welcome to the site, tell all your friends to join and go to the singing section. The more the better.

And I think McGeady may find Russia easier than expected as there would be no personal abuse hurled at him.

Picking up Russian is going to be tough for the lad, thats for sure.
But best of luck to him and will keep an eye on his progress.

Edited the topic title slightly as its fairly irrelevant now he has signed

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: baddler
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:00am
lads, when is their next game?  Will McGeady be eligible/fit to start?

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:06am
their next game is on Friday at home to the team 8th in the league, Spartak are 7th

not sure if McGeady will be fit, id imagine he shud be eligible as he completed the deal over the wkd

Posted By: larryduff
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:08am
Thanks davekoolhill.
McGeady's visa comes through this week I think. He will hardly be fit to play full game anyway as he has only played 55 odd minutes so far this season. Spartak are struggling big time this season by the looks of it

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:02am

Thanks davekoolhill.
McGeady's visa comes through this week I think. He will hardly be fit to play full game anyway as he has only played 55 odd minutes so far this season. Spartak are struggling big time this season by the looks of it

Yeah I believe only 7th. They'd probably be like the Liverpool of Russia. Most successful over the years but struggling recently.

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:37am
I hope he does really well. I've always had great time for McGeady, you could tell he really cared at celtic and had a great relationship with the fans.

I love to see him coming off the bench for us he can really spark life into a game, maybe he'll get his shooting boots back on in Moscow.

Must go look up a spartak jersey :)

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:17am
Well thank god hes not black anyway. Them poor f**kers get treated like dirt over in russia. Remember an interview with jo after he moved to city and he said little kids uses to throw food at him in mcdonalds cause he was blackThumbs%20Down

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:22am
I heard they have employed 6 people to help him settle in- translators, chefs and the like!

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:23am
best of luck aidenThumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:26am
ESPN carrying this league ?

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:38am

best of luck aidenThumbs%20Up

+1

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

I heard they have employed 6 people to help him settle in- translators, chefs and the like!

This was denied by the club, Spartak said all he requested was a driver for the first few weeks

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:59am

ESPN carrying this league ?
Yep ESPN were showing Spartak and Lokomotiv on Sunday. If you dont have ESPN just watch it on Iraq Goals, they show all Russian league matches.

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

I hope he does really well. I've always had great time for McGeady, you could tell he really cared at celtic and had a great relationship with the fans.

I love to see him coming off the bench for us he can really spark life into a game, maybe he'll get his shooting boots back on in Moscow.

Probably be able to order in and sell 10-20 of them with McGeady on the back from one of those Malaysian sweat shops. Might investigate. Nice jersey

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:20am
i think its a bad move for mcgeady the russian league is stronger than the scottish league however the russian league starts in march and finishes in october that means he will be playing  for us whens hes out of season ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:27am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

i think its a bad move for mcgeady the russian league is stronger than the scottish league however the russian league starts in march and finishes in october that means he will be playing  for us whens hes out of season ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Big gap between the end of the season and start of it that. But sure he'll be grand for the September/October games coming up, Macadonia in March he will have started back up again, then it's the same next year he'll be still playing september/October. So should be grand. If we had qualifiers in November/December/Jan/Feb then he might have struggled a bit

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:29am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

He's a footballer not a broodmare

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:31am

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Probably be able to order in and sell 10-20 of them with McGeady on the back from one of those Malaysian sweat shops. Might investigate. Nice jersey
+1

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:56am

THE education of man and Bhoy can be a painful experience but it can also be inspirational, life-affirming.

Aiden McGeady has been at the centre of the storm. He has weathered it.

The 24-year-old winger has been involved in two notorious altercations: one with Gordon Strachan, his manager, and the other when Artur Boruc, his team-mate, punched him after a training session. He brushes off the latter as a piece of casual violence with no lasting relevance.

The Strachan episode, though, was devastating, but McGeady believes it provided him with an inner strength.

The events of December 13, 2008, were spectacular. McGeady trudged into the dressing room after a disappointing 1-1 draw with Hearts to face a manager who launched a verbal volley at him.

The Celtic dressing-room erupted in noise as the player hit back. A row that had been simmering since Strachan had joined the club had reached boiling point.

McGeady feared he had played his last game for the club. “I thought that was it. I thought it was over,” he said. “My first reaction when I got home was that I would have to move on. It was the culmination of many incidents,” he said.

There were a lot of other players who might not have come through what I came through under him. A lot of things happened that were extremely unfair.
Aiden McGeady

However, the incident had a beneficial legacy for the player. “Frankly, it made me a stronger person. It was a difficult experience, but I look back on it with the feeling that I grew through it. There were a lot of other players who might not have come through what I came through under Strachan. A lot of things happened that were extremely unfair.”

McGeady feels he was singled out for criticism by the then Celtic manager. “I may save all those bad times for a book in the future,” he says, laughing.

He is unwilling to elaborate but is expansive on how he came back to play for Celtic and improve as a player. “It toughened me,” said McGeady. “I felt every game I was going into I had to play at my best because one bad game and I was pretty much out of the team.

“That spurred me on. There was an amazing feeling when you thought you had played well. It was not one of joy, but of relief. The tension just slipped off you. I felt so much better after the match. I felt I had guaranteed my place for next week.”

McGeady paid a fine of two weeks’ wages – thought to be in excess of £40,000 – and served a suspension for the row with Strachan. He decided to take his punishment. He believed his strength then lay in tackling work with a quiet professionalism.

“When I came back to Lennoxtown after my suspension I was surprised to be back training with the first team. To be fair, Strachan was better with me and came up one day and said simply he was going to start me. And then I played for the rest of the season.”

The season ended with Strachan leaving the club after the title was lost to Rangers. McGeady stayed when everyone predicted he would leave.

However, he was in no hurry to leave the club he supports because he believed he still had work to do. His faith in the reward offered by hard labour was fostered by his inspirational taskmaster, Tommy Burns.

McGeady won three league titles, two Scottish Cups and, two league cups at Celtic. He was outstanding in the 2008/2009 Co-operative Insurance Cup final, winning the man of the match award and scoring from the penalty spot to seal a 2-0 victory in extra-time.

But one memory means the most to him. “It has to be winning the league on the last day in 2008,” he said. “It does not come any better than that. You work all season and it all comes right on the final match at Tannadice.”

It was made especially poignant because Burns, Celtic manager, coach, player and legend, had just died.

“He was a great mentor. I have spoken about him loads of times, not just since he passed away,” said McGeady. “The reason for that is how he helped me as a man and as a coach. He would work me every single day, spurring me on to become a better player.”

McGeady laughs as he recalls some of the training sessions he endured as Burns, almost manic in his enthusiasm, would push him on. “Sometimes it got beyond a joke,” said McGeady, the affection unmistakeable in his voice. “He used to say: ‘Let’s stay out and you can hit 15 crosses in’. We would do that and then he would say: ‘Let’s hit another 15 … another 15 … another.’ Before I knew it I had hit about 100 crosses.”

His verdict on Burns is simple but heartfelt. “He had that love of football that rubbed off on me and the other boys. Everything he said made sense. He advocated continual practice. He said that if you worked and worked and worked to make every part of your game better by just half a per cent then it would all add up to a significant improvement.”

Asked if he thought of Burns as the move to Spartak Moscow became increasingly attractive, McGeady answered. “Yes. I was sure Moscow was the right choice but part of that is because of what I learned from Tommy Burns.

“He was a football man and I know he would believe this was the right move for me. This is a great opportunity because of solid football reasons. Everybody who knows anything about the game will see why I have gone. This is a massive club with great ambitions.”

McGeady was encouraged on his trip to Moscow by the enthusiasm shown to him by Dimitri Popov, Spartak sporting director, and Valery Karpin, the manager.

The player is a football obsessive. He retains memories of matches and opponents. Lasting impressions were made when Celtic won a Champions League qualifier in a penalty shoot-out at Parkhead in 2008.

“I remember that game very well,” said McGeady. “We all came back into the dressing-room raving about how good a technical team Spartak were. They had excellent players all over the pitch and moved the ball quickly and accurately.”

He added: “That is the sort of team I want to play in. I am not saying anything against Celtic because we had different attributes, but I believe Spartak will suit me as a player.”

Popov and Karpin encouraged the player immediately. “I asked them straight away what they expected of me,” says McGeady, remembering his visit to Moscow earlier this month. “They just said they wanted what I had been doing for the past couple of years. They said: ‘We have been after you for years’.”

McGeady will play on the left or right of a midfield three, bolstered by two holding midfielders.

“I was really impressed about what the management knew about me,” he says. “That really sealed the deal. They knew my strengths and knew just what I wanted from football.”

The football education of Aiden McGeady will therefore continue in Russia. There will be life lessons, too, as he faces up to life in a different culture. However, McGeady, toughened by the past, looks forward without fear to the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:59am
he gets to spend christmas with his family as well , a decent break , sounds liek a very good deal

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:05pm

AIDEN McGEADY is facing a world of corrupt referees, political interference and plastic pitches in Russia.

McGeady is set to make his Spartak Moscow debut on Saturday against Terek Grozny following his £9.5million move from Celtic.

The Republic of Ireland winger, who could line up against Rangers in the Champions League, has been told he will play on the right side of midfield. But just a few days after he joined Spartak they went out and signed two more wingers.

A Spartak insider told Sport of the World: "At the moment McGeady and his girlfriend are in a hotel, but most of the players look for somewhere to live close to the training camp.

"The reason is simple - the traffic in Moscow is terrible and it would be pointless to live in the city.

"Spartak's training camp is 12 miles outside the city, but on a bad driving day it could still take three hours to get there.

"Of course, the club will supply him with a driver at first. But it's still a very long time to be stuck in what would probably be a stationary car.

"Some of the players live in compounds where a group of them are in the same complex, but have their own house. The air in Moscow is so polluted because of the traffic that it's better to live outside the city.

"The thing McGeady may find strange at the training camp is that after training everyone goes for a sauna - and Russian saunas are a lot hotter than Finnish ones.

"On the field, probably the biggest challenge will be playing on the Luzhniki's artificial surface.

"The stadium holds over 80,000, but it's only really full for games against CSKA and Zenit.

"Spartak's coach Valery Karpin has said McGeady will play on the right of midfield, though he could also play on the left.

"In Moscow he's big news, because there haven't been many transfers this summer.

"But after McGeady came, Spartak brought in twin brothers from Dinamo Moscow - Kirill and Dmitri Kombarov - for a total of £8million and they both play on the wings.

"Spartak's immediate ambition is to perform well in the Champions League and do well enough at home to make it into Europe next season."

McGeady will be hoping he gets more protection from refs in Russia than he did in the SPL. Our insider added: "McGeady will probably find refs are good for him. They won't allow the kind of tackling that he has been used to in Scotland.

"But the refereeing itself is very suspect. Russia has always had a problem with rumours of corruption with referees.

"Every week there are decisions - a penalty, or an offside goal - which look strange.

"But Spartak are one of the most powerful clubs and they tend to have fewer problems with referees!"

-------------

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:29pm
Wouldnt fancy a trip to Grozny

Was watching highlights of Spartak V Tom Tomsk earlier. The game was rigged to f**k. The ref gave Tom Tomsk a peno, then after some deliberations with the Spartak players about it being outside the box, he legged it over to the linesman, came back and gave an uncontested drop ball to Spartak

-------------

Posted By: Tweetering
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:20am
Spartak Are playing tomorrow against Terek Grozny.

Should be McGeady's debut then?

Posted By: Dixie1982
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:23am
Could he be a useful insight into Russian football before we meet...

-------------
Go Green on November 15.

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

Wouldnt fancy a trip to Grozny

Was watching highlights of Spartak V Tom Tomsk earlier. The game was rigged to f**k. The ref gave Tom Tomsk a peno, then after some deliberations with the Spartak players about it being outside the box, he legged it over to the linesman, came back and gave an uncontested drop ball to Spartak

fookin joke LOL, corrupt as fook, i'd say he'll come back wit some stories !

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 8:21pm

McGeady made his debut in a 0-2 loss to Terek Grozny.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

match report prop?in english please

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 3:35am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

according to the star yesterday he didnt travel due to an ''ankle injury''. the real reason was a fear of being kidnapped. im serious.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=307392&cc=5739 - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=307392&cc=5739

that the team line up and he is not in it

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:15am
I can confirm McGeady did'nt play in the game http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2010/08/28/russia/premier-league/terek-groznyi/fk-spartak-moskva/889196/ - http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2010/08/28/russia/premier-league/terek-groznyi/fk-spartak-moskva/889196/ .

The story about being kidnapped would'nt be so far fetched nowadays in Chechnya. One dodgy place to end up in!

RAmzan%20KadyrovRamzan

Kadyrov, center, is the president of Chechnya and Terek FC, the Russian region’s top soccer team. The club president is the Chechen war lord-turned-president-Ramzan Kadyrov, who was installed with the help of Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin. Kadyrov’s father, Akhmad, was a Chechen rebel leader himself until switching allegiances and becoming the Moscow-backed president of the region. He was killed in 2004 in a bombing at Grozny’s Dynamo stadium. (It was 20 days after the explosion that Terek won the Russian Cup Final against, coincidentally, Krilya Sovietov.)

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:11am
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

according to the star yesterday he didnt travel due to an ''ankle injury''. the real reason was a fear of being kidnapped. im serious.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=307392&cc=5739 - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=307392&cc=5739

that the team line up and he is not in it

Jesus, he will be back by Christmas

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 3:38pm

Prop - appreciate your (football) posts but can you please quote your sources for stories so that folk can assess their accuracy ? No problem using WIkipedia so often, but it is not always reliable.

Sounds like your Russian source was talking out of his / her a**e too. Pity as Aiden could have done with a bit of sharpness ahead of Friday.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

Prop - appreciate your (football) posts but can you please quote your sources for stories so that folk can assess their accuracy ? No problem using WIkipedia so often, but it is not always reliable.

Sounds like your Russian source was talking out of his / her a**e too. Pity as Aiden could have done with a bit of sharpness ahead of Friday.

Aye aye captain.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:43am
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/ireland/429/ireland - Republic of Ireland manager http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/italy/2619/giovanni-trapattoni - Giovanni Trapattoni has hailed the performance put in by winger http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady in the http://www.goal.com/en-gb/scores/group-results/57/european-championship-qualification-2012 - Euro 2012 qualifying game against http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/andorra/420/andorra - Andorra .

The former Celtic midfielder put in a stellar shift by constantly troubling full-back Jordi Escura, as he eventually set up the goal scored by skipper Robbie Keane at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The Spartak Moscow man's havoc on the flank has seen the Italian insist that the recent performance was one of the best by the Russian Premier League player.

"I congratulated him after the game for what he showed us," Trapattoni told reporters.

"This is his quality. He did what I have been asking him to do. We know he can dribble and cross and shoot, and that he is quick.

"But we have been working on his positioning on the pitch and by playing the way he did, he saw 30 per cent more of the ball.

"We showed him DVDs of the Andorra team yesterday and again this morning, and I am happy that he understood.

"This was one of his best games for us."

-------------

Posted By: Justice No. 1
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:46am

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/ireland/429/ireland - Republic of Ireland manager http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/italy/2619/giovanni-trapattoni - Giovanni Trapattoni has hailed the performance put in by winger http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/scotland/5123/aiden-mcgeady - Aiden McGeady in the http://www.goal.com/en-gb/scores/group-results/57/european-championship-qualification-2012 - Euro 2012 qualifying game against http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/andorra/420/andorra - Andorra .

The former Celtic midfielder put in a stellar shift by constantly troubling full-back Jordi Escura, as he eventually set up the goal scored by skipper Robbie Keane at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The Spartak Moscow man's havoc on the flank has seen the Italian insist that the recent performance was one of the best by the Russian Premier League player.

"I congratulated him after the game for what he showed us," Trapattoni told reporters.

"This is his quality. He did what I have been asking him to do. We know he can dribble and cross and shoot, and that he is quick.

"But we have been working on his positioning on the pitch and by playing the way he did, he saw 30 per cent more of the ball.

"We showed him DVDs of the Andorra team yesterday and again this morning, and I am happy that he understood.

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:00am
McGeady better not rest on his laurels. There are several good attacking players at Spartak Moscow and Valeri Karpin's position at the club is far from safe. Get your finger out McGeadski!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:08am
Hello?! A f**king thread here for McGeadski discussion. I must implore you.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 10:49am

Republic of Ireland striker Kevin Doyle heaped praise on team-mate Aiden McGeady after the 3-1 Euro 2012 qualifier win over Andorra on Tuesday evening.

Man-of-the-match Doyle scored a screamer in the Aviva Stadium clash, with Kevin Kilbane and Robbie Keane also netting for the Irish, but the Wolverhampton Wanderers striker was quick to highlight the contribution of Spartak Moscow new boy McGeady.

The former Celtic man came under criticism after his showing in the 1-0 win in Armenia on Friday, but found it easier against the lower level Andorrans on Tuesday as he constantly outpaced defenders. Doyle says – regardless of the opposition – McGeady can cause problems to Ireland’s rivals in the remainder of the campaign.

“Aiden gives anyone problems when he is on form,” said the hard working striker.

“He’s got the quickest feet of anyone I know and he’s a very skilful player. Whenever he’s playing well he can give anyone a torrid time.”

Doyle also said that the game against the group minnows was a harder task than it might have looked and, while disappointed that he and his team-mates did not notch up a few more goals, he says the Boys in Green can be pretty happy to be sitting on top of Group B with a one hundred percent record.

The ex-Reading ace continued: “They had everybody behind the ball. They worked hard and took advantage of every stoppage to slow it down. That’s the way they play to keep themselves in games.

“They made it difficult for Russia the other night and made it difficult for us tonight, but we won and that’s the main thing.

“At half-time (at 2-1 after Christian Martinez had just pulled a goal back for Andorra) we were still pretty confident with the second half to come to try and get as many as we could and wrap the game up.

“We would have liked to have gotten a few more, but 3-1, we’re home with six points from the first two games and we haven’t done that in a while.”

-------------

Posted By: Arhat123
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:10am
In Russia are no tax for sportsmans and life style? we have over there many ice-hockey players, who played before in Usa. They enjoy Russia and Moscow more than USa. Moscow is one of the most beatifull cities in the world and if you dont care to politics, you are free as everywhere...

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Justice No. 1 Justice No. 1 wrote:

ConfusedConfusedConfused
no surprisse, trap and doyle giving him praise. i think they know more than the posters here tbh.

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:16pm

What in the name of God is he smoking??

It's all well and good "terrorising" a part-timer but there still has to be an end product. It is an absolute essential that he at least gets his crosses in. McGeady unfortunately gets around 2 of his 10 crosses in!............not good enough.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

What in the name of God is he smoking??

It's all well and good "terrorising" a part-timer but there still has to be an end product. It is an absolute essential that he at least gets his crosses in. McGeady unfortunately gets around 2 of his 10 crosses in!............not good enough.
and is doyle smoking crack too?

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 12:51pm

He's probably oblivious to it all, but Aiden McGeady might just be about to spark another Russian revolution.

Aiden%20McGeady

GettyImages

Aiden McGeady opted to join Spartak Moscow

McGeady's £9.5 million move to Spartak Moscow from Celtic might have raised more than a few eyebrows among Scotland's football fraternity but others could soon follow his lead.

There's little doubt the transfer will bolster the Republic of Ireland international's bank balance, but some pundits feel he should have held out for the chance to grace the English Premier League. However, the switch certainly hasn't surprised Garry O'Connor, who was one of the first to blaze a trail to the former Soviet state when he joined Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006.

O'Connor swapped Edinburgh's Princes Street for Red Square when he left Hibs in a deal worth £1.5 million. The striker only lasted a little over 16 months when he returned to Britain to join Birmingham City for £2.7 million which represented a tidy profit for Lokomotiv. But he's convinced his spell in Russia helped to mould him into a more complete player and sees others following McGeady's path.

''I bumped into Aiden in the summer and we spoke about Russia and how I found it,'' said O'Connor. ''Maybe he achieved everything he could at Celtic and it's maybe the right time for him to make a change. It's a high standard and Spartak go straight into the Champions League. There are a lot of top players there and he can learn a new language, a different culture and experience Russia. It will be great for him.''

And one specialist football agent reckons SPL players will soon be the subject of more interest from other cash rich Russian clubs. Rudi Vata, who served Celtic during his playing career, is considered an expert in the Eastern European market and was involved in both the O'Connor and McGeady deals.

Vata believes the Scottish market offers value for money with Russian teams willing to invest in younger players with talent who they can nurture then sell on for bigger transfer fees in the future.

"I know the mentality of the Russians; I have a lot of contacts over there,'' said Vata. "They rarely buy star players over 25 or 26. They look to bring players in who are around 25 or younger and then sell them on. They know what they are doing. They know they will get the fee back in the long run.''

And there's a new wealth of young Scottish talent rising through the ranks at the majority of the top flight clubs just waiting for a big break. That's mainly due to the fact that clubs north of the border are more than most feeling the pinch as the credit crunch continues to bite.

Gary%20OConnor%20at%20Lokomotiv%20in%202006

Epilson/GettyImages

Gary O'Connor at Lokomotiv in 2006

The positive knock-on effect means managers are now forced to place their faith in their home grown players probably earlier than they'd like. Aberdeen are one such case in point with teens like Fraser Fyvie and Peter Pawlett both considered established first-team players well ahead of schedule.

It's certainly something of a role reversal for the Russian clubs to plunder the Scottish market as previously the top talents in Eastern Europe tended to head for Britain. Think Andrei Kanchelskis who made the switch from Shakhtar Donetsk to Manchester United for £650,000 in 1991, the same year as the Iron Curtain fell.

Others like Andriy Shevchenko and Serhiy Rebrov later followed him to England in huge transfer deals while many more have sought refuge in the United Kingdom following the landmark Bosman Ruling of 1995. It'll make for interesting viewing to see if McGeady can live up to the huge weight of expectation that now lies on his slim shoulders following the hefty transfer fee.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon will understandably be sad to lose the 24-year-old, who he once described as his best player, but will be comforted by the small consolation of a huge transfer kitty. That should trigger the arrivals of some new faces with the Bhoys boss in the market for a new goalkeeper, a left-back and a centre back.

The Hoops have already been linked with an ambitious move to take Craig Bellamy on loan from Manchester City in a deal that would mirror Robbie Keane's brief stint in Glasgow last season. However, Lennon already has Shaun Maloney, Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt at his disposal with all three natural successors to McGeady's position.

It's unlikely Celtic will spend big on a direct replacement for the Irishman who could be joined in Russia by more graduates from the Scottish in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 1:33pm
McGeady or "Макгиди" has had a good debut for Spartak Moscow. I look forward to seeing him and Spartak in the Champions League this week. Clap

-------------

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 2:36pm
did they win?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

did they win?
Yupp. 2-1. McGeady was heavily praised in the Russian media.

-------------

Posted By: Kerrybai
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 5:04pm
Highlights from Mcgeady's debut - nice pass to set up the opener Clap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6AR06UBkKA&feature=player_embedded - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6AR06UBkKA&feature=player_embedded #!

-------------
"We came from the sea originally, now we're going back in it. Don't go in it, unless you're in a boat." - Karl Pilkington

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 8:53pm
great pass , does he have mcgeady in russian on the back of the jersey? me want !

-------------

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
The name on his jersey is hilarious LOL

He has an assist already - he's going straight onto my Russian fantasy football team Thumbs%20Up

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:31am
wtf!! looks like it says makrnan,bizarre!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:55am
I'm going to get a blobless Ireland jersey and put

Эйден Макгиди on the back!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

I'm going to get a blobless Ireland jersey and put

Эйден Макгиди on the back!

good call Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:14am
I checked it on google translate.

Эйден means Aiden, exact translation

Whereas

Макгиди is a phoenetic spelling of McGeady

Posted By: skylarking
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:18am
^^^^^^^^

Transliteration Geek

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 12:56pm

AIDEN McGeady says he's ready for the next challenge in his career with Spartak Moscow after helping the club to a win on his debut over the weekend.

The Irish international finally got his Spartak debut out of the way when he started for the club in Saturday's league win over Saturn, but there was no time for McGeady to rest on his laurels as Spartak are away to Marseille on Wednesday.

"I'm ready for the game in France, it's going to be a hard match for us, our first game in the Champions League, but I am ready to do my job for the team," said McGeady, delighted to have his debut out of the way as he played the full 90 minutes for Spartak.

"Overall it was a tense game, the other team gave us quite a few problems, but we managed to get on top of them, and once we got the first goal we were able to take more control of the game. On a personal level I found it hard to get used to the synthetic pitch. it wasn't all that easy for me.

Dribbling

"I think my condition is good. Saturday was only my third game of the season so I am still working on my fitness. I was tired after the game on Saturday and I still have to get up to full fitness," added McGeady, who was played on the right side of the Spartak midfield.

"I don't mind what side of the pitch I play on. I am happy enough to play on the right. I played there a lot when I was younger and, in principle, I am a right winger. That's where I feel most comfortable," he said.

McGeady made an early impact as he claimed an assist for a goal on seven minutes from Brazilian Welliton.

"Welliton is a very fast player and if there is a chance to pass it to him, you have to take it and give him the ball, I was happy just to play a part in the goal," he added.

Spartak coach Valeri Karpin heaped praise on McGeady.

"Aiden had a great game," said Karpin. "On Saturday he displayed the qualities which we bought him for: dribbling, passing, crossing. He supplied the cross for one of the goals but that's not the most important thing, he did well but I know he will play better."

Ireland's other European-based players were also in action over the weekend. Cillian Sheridan clocked up 90 minutes for CSKA Moscow as their indifferent start to the season continued with a 1-1 draw at home to Litex Lovech, CSKA remaining in the bottom half of the league table.

Over in Belgium, Dominic Foley could not prevent Cercle Bruges from going down to a 2-0 defeat by Standard Liege.

Padraig Amond was on the bench for Portuguese side Pacos Ferreira in their 1-1 draw with Maritimo, but didn't get to play.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net