Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 419>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I never said they were good performances. There were absolutely no positives to be taken from 2012.

Just highlighting the content of the group and then compare that with 2016.

We beat a half arsed Italy who had already topped the group.
Belgium destroyed us and Sweden were poor and we only drew and then France beat us comfortably too.

It is easy to forget that the Italian team we played were decent enough on a standalone basis. We also made more than a few changes from our first team for that game with a view to trying something new. What happened at Euro 2012 had been on the cards for some time. If the Russian team of that vintage had been more clinical we would have lost 5-0 twice, and we never even looked like beating Slovakia. Estonia also imploded. And even apart from Euro 2016, the results against Bosnia, Germany, and Austria were better than any result achieved between 2008-2013.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:20pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Do you remember who we got in 2012?
The 2 finalists and a very strong Croatia side.

No excuse. The performances were the worst part. It was abject and immovable. Remember Cox on the wing?

I never said they were good performances. There were absolutely no positives to be taken from 2012.

We beat a half arsed Italy
who had already topped the group.
Belgium destroyed us and Sweden were poor and we only drew and then France beat us comfortably too.

Rubbish. We played a second string Italy side with players who wanted play themselves into the starting 11. Not only that, each one of those players would still walk into our team. To imply that Italy team wasn't trying is ridiculous. 

That takes away from the what our players achieved that night against a team that was still superior to them in terms of quality. 

You're almost as bad as Planning LOL

Edited by irishmufc - 21 Aug 2017 at 10:21pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

No excuse. The performances were the worst part. It was abject and immovable. Remember Cox on the wing?

Rubbish. We played a second string Italy side with players who wanted play themselves into the starting 11. Not only that, each one of those players would still walk into our team. To imply that Italy team wasn't trying is ridiculous. 

That takes away from the what our players achieved that night against a team that was still superior to them in terms of quality. 

couldn't agree more with this
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:35pm
There is a hint of the oul confectionery about this hetfield lad
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

We qualified for the 1990 WC with 7 clean sheets out of 8, only losing to Spain 0-2 in Seville, we were absolutely rampant as a result of Euro 88 and the tournament we really deserved to go to, was Euro 92 where we'd have definitely competed strongly.

This group is on a knife-edge.
I remember we had a major injury crisis for that game and Kevin Moran played midfield and think it might have been Steve Staunton's debut.

Went to all those home games in that qualification as a youngster - we were superb beating Spain 1-0 thanks to Michel.
The NI home game was one of the best ever atmosphere's @ Lansdowne Road.
We were at our peak for Euro '92 a real shame we didn't make it.

As my learned friend has stated this current group is all to play for. 

Yes we were missing quite a few for that game.  I can't recall who exactly and Kevin Moran was like a fish out of water in midfield.  Sticky start with 2 points and no goals from our first 3 games but our home form was crucial.  4 successive home wins all but ensured qualification.  

The Spain game is the one I recall for a brilliant atmosphere.  Demand was off the wall by the time of the NI game and there were a lot more corporate types at it.  I thought the atmosphere got steadily worse in that campaign.  Holland 2001 for me was the next time we got close to the Spain game atmosphere wise.      

Dead right things started to change during that campaign - the olé olé brigade arrived.
People who had sat in the West Stand for many a year were suddenly shunted in with the 'Lets Go Fxxking Mental' brigade.Wink

I just remember inflatable bananas,flags and scarves on the South Terrace as 'Que Sera began...' - Jimmy Magee mentions it in his commentary v NI 'What a sight that South Terrace is...'

Had managed to get into the main terrace from the schoolboy side.

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Martin O'Neill has set Irish football back 30 years

Yeah but 30 years ago we qualified for Euro '88
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm
@Gashley, FW & Gspain

You've put me back in the mood to watch this ye feckers late on a monday night LOL

Charlie O'Leary's opening yarn ClapLOL

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:47pm

It is easy to forget that the Italian team we played were decent enough on a standalone basis. We also made more than a few changes from our first team for that game with a view to trying something new. What happened at Euro 2012 had been on the cards for some time. If the Russian team of that vintage had been more clinical we would have lost 5-0 twice, and we never even looked like beating Slovakia. Estonia also imploded. And even apart from Euro 2016, the results against Bosnia, Germany, and Austria were better than any result achieved between 2008-2013.

We had 3 fantastic nights under MON excluding the tournaments nights we would have never had under Trap as he never picked his best side. He took over a disgraceful unorganised side that struggled against Cyprus and San Marino and deserves credit for that but In the end his own arrogance and reluctance to change was his downfall.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:19am

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

We qualified for the 1990 WC with 7 clean sheets out of 8, only losing to Spain 0-2 in Seville, we were absolutely rampant as a result of Euro 88 and the tournament we really deserved to go to, was Euro 92 where we'd have definitely competed strongly.

This group is on a knife-edge.
I remember we had a major injury crisis for that game and Kevin Moran played midfield and think it might have been Steve Staunton's debut.

Went to all those home games in that qualification as a youngster - we were superb beating Spain 1-0 thanks to Michel.
The NI home game was one of the best ever atmosphere's @ Lansdowne Road.
We were at our peak for Euro '92 a real shame we didn't make it.

As my learned friend has stated this current group is all to play for. 

Yes we were missing quite a few for that game.  I can't recall who exactly and Kevin Moran was like a fish out of water in midfield.  Sticky start with 2 points and no goals from our first 3 games but our home form was crucial.  4 successive home wins all but ensured qualification.  

The Spain game is the one I recall for a brilliant atmosphere.  Demand was off the wall by the time of the NI game and there were a lot more corporate types at it.  I thought the atmosphere got steadily worse in that campaign.  Holland 2001 for me was the next time we got close to the Spain game atmosphere wise.      

Dead right things started to change during that campaign - the olé olé brigade arrived.
People who had sat in the West Stand for many a year were suddenly shunted in with the 'Lets Go Fxxking Mental' brigade.Wink

I just remember inflatable bananas,flags and scarves on the South Terrace as 'Que Sera began...' - Jimmy Magee mentions it in his commentary v NI 'What a sight that South Terrace is...'

Had managed to get into the main terrace from the schoolboy side.

Given I sat in the West Stand for all those home qualifiers I'll admit defeat on that one.  Big smile

Many missed out on tickets at the time that had been going for years.  I think it was the Malta/Hungary double-header that closed the system.  I probably mentioned it a few times on here but we got a scare for Belgium 87 having been told it was sold out (maybe just the seats at the time) and it helped me as I always secured my tickets early on after that.  We had let a block booking lapse as I went to the Scotland game on my own.  You couldn't get back on the system then until it briefly opened up at the start of the 1994 campaign.    
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

We had 3 fantastic nights under MON excluding the tournaments nights we would have never had under Trap as he never picked his best side. He took over a disgraceful unorganised side that struggled against Cyprus and San Marino and deserves credit for that but In the end his own arrogance and reluctance to change was his downfall.

Your best 11 would not be my best 11 and nor would it be Trap's or O'Neill best 11.

O'Neill does not start his best 11 ever either.

Westwood and Elliot are better keepers than Randolph as an example.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:33am

Italy went out not to lose the game, we got a goal late on the in game and held out for a great win.

Do you think Italy played at the same intensity as they did against Belgium?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:02am

Italy went out not to lose the game, we got a goal late on the in game and held out for a great win.

Ah but sure before the game all the haters on here were saying that Italy playing their second string team would be just as hard as those players would trying to get into the first team... seeing someones opinion change so fast show's the sign of a person who hasn't a clue what they are on about.
Hi Lads
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:41am
Team that played against us
Sirigu- PSG
Barzagli- Juventus
Bonucci-Juventus

Ogbonna- West Ham
Thiago motta- PSG
Bernadeschi- Fiorentina
Sturaro- Juventus
Florenzi-Roma
De Scilgio- AC Milan
Zaza-Juventus
Immobile- Torino

subs
Darmian- Manchester Utd
Insigne-Napoli
El Sharaawy-Monaco

12 of the 14 players for Italy had played European football the season prior we had One (Long would have played in Europa League playoffs with Southampton).

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Ah but sure before the game all the haters on here were saying that Italy playing their second string team would be just as hard as those players would trying to get into the first team... seeing someones opinion change so fast show's the sign of a person who hasn't a clue what they are on about.

Says the Ralph Wigham of YBIG.

Here are the line ups Italy put out against Ireland and Spain.

Ireland      Spain
Sirigu             Buffon
BarzagliDe      Sciglio
Bonucci             Chiellini
Ogbonna             Florenzi
Bernardeschi     Pelle
Stuarao             Barzagli
Motta             De Rossi
Florenzi     Eder
De Sciglio     Parolo
Zaza             Bonucci
Immobile     Giaccherini

I'm not trying to dismiss Irelands performance against Italy either.

Edited by horsebox - 22 Aug 2017 at 10:36am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:21pm

Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Says the Ralph Wigham of YBIG.

Here are the line ups Italy put out against Ireland and Spain.

Ireland      Spain
Sirigu             Buffon
BarzagliDe      Sciglio
Bonucci             Chiellini
Ogbonna             Florenzi
Bernardeschi     Pelle
Stuarao             Barzagli
Motta             De Rossi
Florenzi     Eder
De Sciglio     Parolo
Zaza             Bonucci
Immobile     Giaccherini

I'm not trying to dismiss Irelands performance against Italy either.

Line up is irrelevant, the system is what matters and it was the same exact system that no-one else except Germany could score against. Conte picked a team that he thought could beat Ireland while resting players and they couldn't so you cant take away from the Irish team.
Hi Lads
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:36pm
The lineup is relevant in that they played a second string side which you appeared to mock.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:43pm
If Sweden had knocked out Ireland because they beat a reserve Italy side in the final group match there would have been uproar on here saying how Italy cheated us etc.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If Sweden had knocked out Ireland because they beat a reserve Italy side in the final group match there would have been uproar on here saying how Italy cheated us etc.

20000 marching to the cuisine di Italy headquarters asking could we be team 17 in the last 16
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 419>
  Share Topic