Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=45680
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Martin O'Neill...
Posted By: Stoked Up
Subject: Martin O'Neill...
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:13pm
MoN's managment record makes him the best Irish candidate for the job by a longshot.

Fantastic success in his first real job in management at Wycombe and then at Leicester, who's fans revere him as their best manager ever after he won 2 league cups and had them regularly finishing in the top half of the EPL. The loyalty he showed to these two clubs marked him out as a manager of extreme integrity. 

Extraordinary success followed at Celtic, given that Rangers had been so ascendant for over two decades.
He was Celtic's most successful manager since the Jock Stein era. Getting them to an EUFA final was another high profile achievement.

At Villa, he rescued a basket case club and had them punching above their weight finishing regularly in the top 6 and got them into a major final, only leaving when his best players were being sold from under him.

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)

I wouldn't have any reservations about his style of play as we've always played a similar sort of game, but unlike Trap his sides have mixed it up somewhat more and not solely relied on long ball tactics.

With O'Neill, there'll pride and passion in the shirt from every player.

We'd be lucky to have him, if he's interested in the job.

Replies:
Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:15pm
Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.

He doesn't really. 
Trap is a 4-4-2 man with full backs instructed not to overlap or pass halfway much

MON used 3-5-2 for a lot of his managerial career 

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:20pm
Martin is the best candidate by a long shot.

...btw why would Chris Hughton even consider the job given his current premier league position. The job is for old folks or those starting out in their first job in management.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:22pm
would take Hughton before anyone else but don't think he will leave Norwich unfortunately

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm

CH is frying bigger fish

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:25pm
I think he could be persuaded to take it

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Humpy Gussy
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:27pm

Never happen this time round but I'd love Neil Lennon to manage Ireland. Maybe he'd fancy Christmas in Qatar in 2022! Thumbs Up

-------------
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:28pm

Didn't John Robertson look after all the training sessions when he was with O'Neill? Didn't come with him to Sunderland though and is recovering for a heart attack at present.

Would like the FAI to look further than just former premier league managers when looking to appoint our next coach. 

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:31pm
Does anybody even know if he has an interest in the job?

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)]

Blew over €30m on over priced British players again. That wouldn't matter when it comes to the Irish job though.

My biggest worries would be his performances with out Robertson, his absence at some Sunderland training sessions and his issues in his personal life distracting him from the job.

I'd say he'd be alright if he got the job(A Trap who doesn't ignore 20% of the players). The football would still be dull and he wouldn't reveloutionise Irish football from top to bottom or anything like that.

I'm hoping for better but he's a bit more inspiring than some names mentioned.(Roy Keane, Brady, Souness etc.)

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:33pm
I know 3-5-2 has died a death in recent years but we'd have a decnt enough team if that formation was still popular.

Westwood

Clark      O'Shea    Wilson

Coleman             Gibson      McCarthy          AN other

McGeady

Keane       Long

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:38pm
MON plays a mixed style, he likes small, mobile mids in the center  of the team, he is the best candidate from the irish tbh.  I like Liam Brady also, he knows the game and he is a teacher.   But my best candidate is Bielsa, in a way similar to MON but a bit more attacking minded. 

He made Athletic of Bilbao the most brittish team from the spanish league, to change their mindset and they became very hard to handle. Remember their victory at Old Trafford in 2012.  The basques are very similar to the irish , Athetic only can purchase basque players, that made them like a national side before a club.

The edge between Bielsa and MON, is that Bielsa also handles the under age levels u 21, u-20, u-18 to work the mindset as a whole,  as he did at Bilbao, Mexico (Atlas  FC) , Argentina and Chile.

i dont know if MON would take charge of the under teams as well, something that it seems vital, to reshape the domestic game and built the future of irish football.

Posted By: uibhfhaile
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:41pm
LOL

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:51pm

I'd be very happy with him. His style may be not the most modern but he would pick the right players and would be able to motivate them.
It would be a good job for him at this stage of his career also.

Mon MO'N!

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:55pm
MON with Steve Wilford and Neil Lennon as assistants/coaches with AN Other coach (a young expro who commands the respect of the team*)

*Kilbane maybe? He has a certain level of coaching badges hasnt he?

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:08pm
MO'N Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: GREENISLE
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:39pm
at least MON will play our best players in their best positions and will know how to change things around if its not going to plan. bring him on

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He doesn't really. 
Trap is a 4-4-2 man with full backs instructed not to overlap or pass halfway much

Incorrect, all of his time at Sunderland he played 4-4-1-1. Which is a bit of a problem considering we couldn't work that system against a team like Wales.

Wingers play very old fashioned, none of the cut inside stuff
Lone forward is not usually a target man type but a hold the ball type (Emile Heskey at his time at Villa or Bendtner at Sunderland) Doyle is probably the best candidate we have for that..

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:10pm

MoN's managment record makes him the best Irish candidate for the job by a longshot.

Fantastic success in his first real job in management at Wycombe and then at Leicester, who's fans revere him as their best manager ever after he won 2 league cups and had them regularly finishing in the top half of the EPL. <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">The loyalty he showed to these two clubs marked him out as a manager of extreme integrity. </span>

Extraordinary success followed at Celtic, given that Rangers had been so ascendant for over two decades.
He was Celtic's most successful manager since the Jock Stein era. Getting them to an EUFA final was another high profile achievement.

At Villa, he rescued a basket case club and had them punching above their weight finishing regularly in the top 6 and got them into a major final, only leaving when his best players were being sold from under him.

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)

I wouldn't have any reservations about his style of play as we've always played a similar sort of game, but unlike Trap his sides have mixed it up somewhat more and not solely relied on long ball tactics.

With O'Neill, there'll pride and passion in the shirt from every player.

We'd be lucky to have him, if he's interested in the job.

O'neills management record makes him the best candidate ?? I beg to differ - dave o'leary's management record

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

He's actually the most successful Irish manager that I can think of.

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:28pm
Even Sven is in the running... this is a long list

www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/rep-of-ireland/next-permanent-manager

Posted By: Garak
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:58pm
I think MO'N would be a fairly safe choice, albeit slightly uninspiring.

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:08pm
If he gets it then think I'll become the new Trapnoclue/Rainpaulo Thumbs Up (without the abuse)

You can go down the route of getting a man motivator but did none of you learn the lesson of Trap, he was found out tactically in the international arena, MON would fail in the same manner only instead of picking up the away results he'd maybe win a few home qualifying games but fail miserably away from home, remind me again there of his away record in european competition Ermm 

How many goes in the champions league and how many times he get out of the group? And that was with one of the best strikers in europe at his disposal at the time, something this Irish squad certainly does not possess currently(an ageing Keane wont be able to carry him)

All that is before you even look at his epl record in a league where tactics play a lesser part as opposed to physical attributes

Any potential short list has to be based on the main quality first and foremost of getting results home and AWAY. Just hope the FAI once again avoid the media/public opinion and outcrys and sit down and thoroughly go through the strengths and weakness's of ALL potential candidates 

-------------

Posted By: Sham96
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:14pm
The so called journos in the know and Dunphy have jumped way ahead on this one.  I was listening to BBC radio 5 earlier and the feeling in England is that O'Neill wantsone more go at managing a club side (even if it is a Championship team).  Not surprised his odds have started to drift this evening.    

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Sham96 Sham96 wrote:

The so called journos in the know and Dunphy have jumped way ahead on this one.  I was listening to BBC radio 5 earlier and the feeling in England is that O'Neill wantsone more go at managing a club side (even if it is a Championship team).  Not surprised his odds have started to drift this evening.    
SSN just said he was 2/5 for the job about 5 minutes ago.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Sham96 Sham96 wrote:

SSN just said he was 2/5 for the job about 5 minutes ago.
He has drifted from 8/11 out to 11/10 on paddy power. Brian Mcdermott on the other hand has gone from 10+ into 12/5

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:27pm
Would the whole Northern Ireland thing not deter anyone else including Martin from taking the job?

In my opinion he'd be mad to take because he's opening else up to a whole lot of trouble from the natives up in Norn Iron.

I mean this has never been done before. The whole Celtic/Rangers thing is accepted as the norm in the country by now but lets face it lads nobody with this much history has crossed over to the Republic.
Granted we've had Gibson, McClean, Duffy etc....switch over but this will be nothing compared to the trouble that will be experienced should O'Neill cross.

At the end of the day he did spend his Northern Ireland days playing for Billy the Bigot!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:02pm
Doesn't bother me in the slightest that he played for NI and I don't think many ROI fans would be bothered about it either if he did a job.

I'd guess he wouldn't give two hoots about the grief he may or may not get from the walking dead element that supports OWC

I'd put money on it that a fair few of the current NI players keep a very kean eye on our results and felt as dissappointed as we did last night and on Friday.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:25am
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

If he gets it then think I'll become the new Trapnoclue/Rainpaulo Thumbs Up (without the abuse)

You can go down the route of getting a man motivator but did none of you learn the lesson of Trap, he was found out tactically in the international arena, MON would fail in the same manner only instead of picking up the away results he'd maybe win a few home qualifying games but fail miserably away from home, remind me again there of his away record in european competition Ermm 

Trap's biggest failings were falling out with players, not trusting youth and not altering tactics home or away, insisting that virtually ALL of our players were technically not very proficient.
O'Neill's sides were never exclusively hoofers.  As recently evidenced by McClean and many more before, he's not afraid to place trust in SOME young players.

Quote How many goes in the champions league and how many times he get out of the group? And that was with one of the best strikers in europe at his disposal at the time, something this Irish squad certainly does not possess currently(an ageing Keane wont be able to carry him)
In the EUFA cup final year, they only lost only once away from home. In most international qualifying groups, if a side wins all the home games and beats the lesser seeds away, they'd likely achieve 2nd place as a minimum. Anyway, any new manager will have the same striking problems. In the CL, they often overachieved, in comparism to similar weighted sides from Europe's lesser leagues. 
Quote All that is before you even look at his epl record in a league where tactics play a lesser part as opposed to physical attributes
I acknowledge that he'll have to work with whatever players he's got, which may stunt his tactics, but he's adaptable. His record in the EPL with lesser lights is very good. Is that not what/where we are?

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

O'neills management record makes him the best candidate ?? I beg to differ - dave o'leary's management record

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

Yet he won nothing, nor got sides to cup finals. O'Leary inherited George Graham's wonderfully constructed Leeds side and despite early promise, he ruined it, spending what was then a kings ransom and then failing to keep them in the CL places, which contributed hugely to that clubs demise and his own sacking. The CL SF was brilliant but he failed to build on that.

At Villa, the decline accelerated in the next season, when they narrowly avoided relegation then he was fired.

He was also fired out in the UAE, after more failings.

No thanks.

Posted By: Peake
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:15am
O'Neill showed what he was all about during his spell at Villa, money money money. How will he fair under the obvious limited resources with the Ireland job? 

Posted By: daffyp
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:33am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Would the whole Northern Ireland thing not deter anyone else including Martin from taking the job?

In my opinion he'd be mad to take because he's opening else up to a whole lot of trouble from the natives up in Norn Iron.

I mean this has never been done before. The whole Celtic/Rangers thing is accepted as the norm in the country by now but lets face it lads nobody with this much history has crossed over to the Republic.
Granted we've had Gibson, McClean, Duffy etc....switch over but this will be nothing compared to the trouble that will be experienced should O'Neill cross.

At the end of the day he did spend his Northern Ireland days playing for Billy the Bigot!

Are you on drugs lad??

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:44am
CH won't take it and I'd prefer MON either way. He is the best we can realistically hope for and we'd be crazy not to be delighted with his services. He'd bring the passion and pride back at the very least Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: jinky
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

typical freestate partitionist poisin

-------------
tir gan teanga ,tir gan anam

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:01am
Did O'Neill say a few years ago he'd like to manage us at some stage but felt it would be further down the line??

-------------

Posted By: stokes78
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:27am
O Neill would hopefully embrace the idea of northern footballers playing for their country with their southern brothers.  FAI and senior management should actively and openly be going after northern lads from under 16 level to play for us as is their right. None of this nonsense of not aproaching players. A lad from Derry should b no different than a lad from cork and should be invited openly to underage squads if good enough

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

He doesn't really. 

Incorrect, all of his time at Sunderland he played 4-4-1-1. Which is a bit of a problem considering we couldn't work that system against a team like Wales.

Wingers play very old fashioned, none of the cut inside stuff
Lone forward is not usually a target man type but a hold the ball type (Emile Heskey at his time at Villa or Bendtner at Sunderland) Doyle is probably the best candidate we have for that..

Thats why i said a lot. 
Leicester and Celtic he was 3-5-2 

Villa i think he changed to 4-3-3 if i remember correctly, with Agbonlahor and Young on the wings and Carew through the middle 

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:17am
Sono,
I'm a fan of Hughton but I know last seasopn when they were having their slump a lot of fans were critical of the ultra cautious defensive style of football.  Remind you of anybody??? A worry also is that it took Norwich a long time to turn it around.  When you only get 5 days to work with and develop a system and tactics would Hughton suit? 

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: Itsthere
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

O Neill would hopefully embrace the idea of northern footballers playing for their country with their southern brothers.  FAI and senior management should actively and openly be going after northern lads from under 16 level to play for us as is their right. None of this nonsense of not aproaching players. A lad from Derry should b no different than a lad from cork and should be invited openly to underage squads if good enough

This Thumbs Up

Its looking like MON is target no. 1 for the FAI. Whatever about the style of football - it couldnt be as bad to watch or as one dimensional as Traps. Aswell, he is known for his man mangagement skills (non existent with trap) and getting the best out of average squads (Celtic, Leicster, Villa) thats exactly what we need.

Cmon MON

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:28am
M'ON would be a great chice.  He plays decent football and as has been said likes his wingers.  With Brady, McClean, McGeady, "Pilks" it's our one area of strength right now LOL

He gave Wycombe, Leicester, Celtic and Villa fans the best days they have ever had or had for a long time.  He needs a good right hand man with him though.  It is worth noting Robertson was not with him at Sunderland, the one club he failed at (he quit Norwich after a row).  Communication and man-management were major issues under Trap and I don't see that being a problem under M'ON. 

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:58am
how about liam brady as his number 2, would that work?

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by GREENISLE GREENISLE wrote:

After he said all our young lads are poor, id doubt it

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

After he said all our young lads are poor, id doubt it

when he say that, the other night after the match? i just feel he would be good in some role maybe give him the role of youth developement then.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:09am
O'Neill is not the man for the job and I will give the reasons why.

Similar style of play to Trap - we may end up again hoofing the ball to 2 big lads upfront.

The absence of John Robertson - Robertson is the brains behind the success of O'Neill.

Not developing youth players - he was never a fan of using young players, always brought in and used older experienced players.

Only using a small selection of players - whilst at Celtic he only ever used a group of about 12/13 players. There will be uproar on this forum when he excludes a long list of names.

Not giving players a chance - he never gave fringe players a chance. (Westwood being the most notable one from an Irish perspective).

Tactically naive - never won away in Europe and threw away 2 league titles on the last day of the season.

He is a very good motivator and will inspire the players, but I think Ireland needs more than inspired players. We need a manager that can out-think the opposition due to the average selection of players available

A tactically astute manager with an attacking system is what we need.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:09am
Pretty much said it after the match

For me Id have him nowhere near the rte studio never mind the team.
If ye were to bring an ex player in as a coach/assistant, look no further than Kevin Kilbane

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:10am
Personally Martin O'Neill would be a very uninspiring choice for me. Would like a manager who actually has international experience. Feel if Denis O'Brien is putting the cash forward again, than we should cast the net out a lot further and not rush into any knee-jerk decisions.

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

M'ON would be a great chice.  He plays decent football. 

He most certainly does not.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Similar style of play to Trap - we may end up again hoofing the ball to 2 big lads upfront.

The absence of John Robertson - Robertson is the brains behind the success of O'Neill.

Not developing youth players - he was never a fan of using young players, always brought in and used older experienced players.

Only using a small selection of players - whilst at Celtic he only ever used a group of about 12/13 players. There will be uproar on this forum when he excludes a long list of names.

Not giving players a chance - he never gave fringe players a chance. (Westwood being the most notable one from an Irish perspective).

Tactically naive - never won away in Europe and threw away 2 league titles on the last day of the season.

He is a very good motivator and will inspire the players, but I think Ireland needs more than inspired players. We need a manager that can out-think the opposition due to the average selection of players available

names then hb,who you reckon? at least a shortlist of 3.

Posted By: Bibi Baskin
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/martin-oneill-can-be-steady-pair-of-hands-for-republic-of-ireland-29572915.html

Think there is a mistake in the first line though LOL

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-12/o-neill-is-targeted-to-coach-ireland-mail-says-soccer-roundup.html

Approach will be made in the next 48 hours!

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/fai-set-approach-martin-oneill-2268143

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:18am

Rene Meulensteen, Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena are 3 candidates worth talking too.

All the candidates listed are definitely not worth considering.

I also believe that the FAI should look abroad again for a coach.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:23am

Rene Meulensteen, Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena are 3 candidates worth talking too.

All the candidates listed are definitely not worth considering.

I also believe that the FAI should look abroad again for a coach.

i reckon that JD is in the jacks at abbots town choking his chicken at the thoughts of oneill being under him.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:25am
People should be delighted if o'neill gets the job,its not exactly a highly sought after job in football

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:33am
The merits of O'Neill style are open to discussion but what he does achieve is understanding his players and playing to their strengths. He will bring enthusiasm, passion and experience to the job as well as a comprehension of irishness and the irish psyche. And fundamenatally he wont alck in confidence and will offer players positivity instead of negativity.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by jinky jinky wrote:

People should be delighted if o'neill gets the job,its not exactly a highly sought after job in football

We've never had a problem getting someone to do the job before Confused

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:35am
Lads why take a risk with another foreign manager ? O'Neill is an Irishman, he knows the players, he knows the culture, he knows what he has at his disposal and has buckets of experience (granted not at international level but still a very experienced football man)

There is no point in hiring a foreign coach that is going to try to play like Barcelona because we dont have the players to do that.  Im not saying we need to play hit and hope-long ball sh*te but you dont become a sucessful PL manager by playing that way and I dont believe that O'Neill is purely a long ball manager. He doesnt play the most attractive of football but anything would be  better than the crap we've been watching over the past couple of years. a few years ago if we had a chance of getting O'Neill as manager we would have jumped at it.

We need to be realistic and for the players we have for his knowledge and experience alone O'Neill should be a shoe in. If he wants it.

Failing that Mick should be offered it.

Posted By: nice triangles
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:38am
I don't see what the big rush is in getting a new coach. Sooner would be better but this should be seen as a long term appointment, 5 years +, so if we have to wait to get the right man then so be it.
I also don't see the need for the manager to be Irish. If the best man available on the planet is Irish then fair enough.
The only area in International football where you are given a totally free pick (nationality) is the management team. Obviously the playing squad need to be Irish or Irish qualified but we have completely free reign with the nationality of the management. Why we would impose unnecessary restrictions on who we could appoint is madness.
Bigger countries than us have looked beyond their borders for a manager (Portugal, Russia, England etc..). There is no shame in it, it is just common sense.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

oh yeah I forgot,Steve staunton and Brian kerr

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:43am

We dont have any big lads who are strikers and good enough to be starting. 

Long and Doyle are decent enough in the air but neither is over 6 foot. 

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:44am

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

Yet he won nothing, nor got sides to cup finals. O'Leary inherited George Graham's wonderfully constructed Leeds side and despite early promise,<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"> he ruined it, spending what was then a kings ransom and then failing to keep them in the CL places, which contributed hugely to that clubs demise and his own sacking. </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">The CL SF was brilliant but he failed to build on that.</span>

At Villa, the decline accelerated in the next season, when they narrowly avoided relegation then he was fired.

He was also fired out in the UAE, after more failings.

No thanks.

It's not true that O'Leary's success at Leeds was down to George Graham's team, in fact the first thing he did was sack off most of the journeymen Graham had constructed his team with and give youth it's chance. If you compare the Leeds team from Graham's last game with the team O'Leary was picking 12 months later it's radically different. And while he won nothing, the fact that he had the team challenging while having major players involved in an initial court case and a retrial is an achievement in itself. He does have baggage tho and has been out of the loop a long time.

O'Neill plays a pretty uninspiring style of football and wouldn't be my first choice. His reputation is overhyped and his achievements at Celtic over rated. It was Wim Jansen who knocked Rangers off their perch and brought Larsson to the club. O'Neill had a huge budget regularly spending sums in the region of 6m which were big fees back then. His failure to finish top 2 in any of his Champions League campaigns concerns me as does the two last day SPL failures when the pressure was on. That said, international football could suit him, I think having John Robertson on the ticket is essential.

Edit: I think the job is his if he wants it by the way, it's exactly the sort of populist appointment JD would cream himself over and would be popular with the fair weather fan that has as much football knowledge as he does.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:45am

Sammon and Walters.

Long is not tall but very good in the air.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:48am

Sammon and Walters.

Long is not tall but very good in the air.

Sammon won't get back near a squad surely (fingers crossed)

Yeah Walters will probably start up front quite a bit. Forgot about him to be honest 

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:48am

....Tony Mowbary

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Itsthere Itsthere wrote:

There is no point in hiring a foreign coach that is going to try to play like Barcelona because we dont have the players to do that.

Why does everybody come out with that line when you mention playing a passing game?

I don't think anyone is expecting Ireland to be as good as Barcelona, but I don't think it's too much to ask professional footballers to pass the ball through midfield.

Are you suggesting that James McCarthy isn't good enough to receive a pass from a defender and then pass it on to a forward?

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:50am

Comparing O'Leary at Leeds and O'Neill at Celtic is bizarre considering the legacies left behind. Leeds are in the poorhouse and Celtic in the CL group stages again........

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:57am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

....Tony Mowbary
he wasn't Ireland manager

-------------

Posted By: uibhfaillian
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:58am
I hope O'Neill gets the job, he'll get the best out of our players.  Hughton would be a good choice but doubt we'll get him, he's a young manager who sees his future in the EPL for the next few years.  Mick McCarthy? he did a good job when here before but you should never go back. 

Go for O'Neill, he'll put confidence back into the players.  We'd certainly qualify for Euro 2016 with O'Neill and we'd give a good account of ourselves there as well, we'd fear no-one.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:59am

Originally posted by Itsthere Itsthere wrote:

There is no point in hiring a foreign coach that is going to try to play like Barcelona because we dont have the players to do that.

Why does everybody come out with that line when you mention playing a passing game?

I don't think anyone is expecting Ireland to be as good as Barcelona, but I don't think it's too much to ask professional footballers to pass the ball through midfield.

Are you suggesting that James McCarthy isn't good enough to receive a pass from a defender and then pass it on to a forward?

No, if you read the rest of the post Im suggesting that at the moment, after the Trap era of miscommunication, poor selections, narrowmindedness and poor man management - O'Neill would be ideal for the job as communication, man management and knowledge of the players at his disposal are his strengths. The exact opposite of what Trap offered.

I'm not saying our midfield cant pass the ball but saying that O'Neill would be a carbon copy of traps style of play is not true. You dont become a semi sucessful manager in the EPL by playing "Trap type 1980s football" and I dont believe the comparisons to O'Neill's style of play are accurate.

Im all for us passing the ball and playing to our strengths (McCarthy, Hoolohan etc) Im saying  O'Neill is the best man and believe he would use this players to their strengths not ignore them because they dont fit into his "system" like trap did.  

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:04am

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

....Tony Mowbary
he wasn't Ireland manager

I don't think you're that stupid to get what I'm pointing out?

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:08am

jack charlton , bobby robson, trap

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

jack charlton , bobby robson, trap
Eoin Hand

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Comparing O'Leary at Leeds and O'Neill at Celtic is bizarre considering the legacies left behind. Leeds are in the poorhouse and Celtic in the CL group stages again........

Dave O'Leary left Leeds 5th in the Premier league with a cracking squad, the fact they're in the poorhouse now has a hell of lot more to do with Terry Venables taking that top 5 squad into a relegation scrap and Peter Reid compounding things when he took over.

Gordon Strachan had to move on most of O'Neill's team to slash the wage bill yet still got it out of 2 CL groups and won 3 titles in a row which O'Neill never managed. If anything, the template for how Celtic are run today comes from Strachan's time rather than O'Neill's.

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

O'Neill plays a pretty uninspiring style of football and wouldn't be my first choice. His reputation is overhyped and his achievements at Celtic over rated. It was Wim Jansen who knocked Rangers off their perch and brought Larsson to the club. O'Neill had a huge budget regularly spending sums in the region of 6m which were big fees back then. His failure to finish top 2 in any of his Champions League campaigns concerns me as does the two last day SPL failures when the pressure was on.

Wim Jansen did stop the 10, but hardly knocked them off their perch Confused Even if he did resign straight after, Rangers won the title at ease the following year, in a season Celtic were carried by Larsson's devastating form up front. He only managed 16 goals in his first season under Jansen. It was under Venglos where Larsson really showed his true form and this was still the case when Barnes arrived in 99. However, that leg break had the potential to ruin his career. Instead, the following year he recovers to scores 53 goals in O'Neills first season. He formed memorable striking partnerships with Hartson and Sutton in that time as well. O'Neill deserves some credit for maintaining Larsson's form and getting even more from the Swede.

In his first 2 seasons yes, he spent big money in SPL terms but he had rebuild the squad after the Barnes/Dalglish debacle. The following 3 seasons he spent nowhere near that amount on players. Also, Rangers nearly spent twice the money O'Neill did in this time and could only manage two titles, both won on the final day through goal difference and a late Scott McDonald strike.

With regards to those final day losses, in 02/03 they were in the middle of that UEFA Cup run. Rangers found out themselves in 07/08 how tough it can be to stay in the ascendency in a title race while trying to win a European trophy. 04/05 was disappointing yes, but the man was under pressure outside of football at the time. IMO it would be a bit harsh to question/judge the man's ability to deal with pressure under those circumstances.

O'Neill does have the least impressive Champions League record against Strachan and Lennon, but it is a record hardly to be ashamed of. It was a dubious late penalty that denied Celtic taking a point in Turin v Juventus the 01/02 group stage that would have seen them qualify for the next phase in 01/02. The same happened again in 03/04 against Lyon in the final group stage tie. And this is Celtic we are talking about as well, not some team from a major European league.

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:19am

The merits of O'Neill style are open to discussion but what he does achieve is understanding his players and playing to their strengths. He will bring enthusiasm, passion and experience to the job as well as a comprehension of irishness and the irish psyche. And fundamenatally he wont alck in confidence and will offer players positivity instead of negativity.

Can't argue with any of that to be fair.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:24am
To say he only plays hoof ball is just ignorant

Im not all for him taking over, but I cant argue with cabra hoops points there

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:33am

O'Neill plays a pretty uninspiring style of football and wouldn't be my first choice. His reputation is overhyped and his achievements at Celtic over rated. It was Wim Jansen who knocked Rangers off their perch and brought Larsson to the club. O'Neill had a huge budget regularly spending sums in the region of 6m which were big fees back then. His failure to finish top 2 in any of his Champions League campaigns concerns me as does the two last day SPL failures when the pressure was on. That said, international football could suit him, I think having John Robertson on the ticket is essential.

Edit: I think the job is his if he wants it by the way, it's exactly the sort of populist appointment JD would cream himself over and would be popular with the fair weather fan that has as much football knowledge as he does.

He may well suit JD's perception and be a popular choice amongst many fans, but if the style of ball is chronic, people will quickly see through that and continue to stay away.

Yes, he broadly plays a long ball game, but not exclusively. His sides were never overly negative and he has often changed tack and formations to suit the players he's got and is never afraid to adapt when required. Something we've been lacking with our last manager and to some extent with both Staunton and Kerr too. 

I don't Robertson would be part of the management team  - at least not right now, as according to his wiki page he's in hospital after suffering a heart attack in late August.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:33am

Can't argue with any of that to be fair.

+1 good post

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:38am
Its a pity that Robertson is not well as I think he is key to O Neills coaching team along with Steve Walford

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:43am
O'Neills philosophy is to get good balls into the box, most high swining crosses but thats his mentality..You wont get much of this attacking passing play but its in between Trap and Jacks style IMO. His players dont cross from the end line but from edge of the area. This has been his way all through his career, get the ball in early, no messing about!

A good cross will always get a connection... Good theory I suppose but I assume thats where his long ball merchants idea comes from...

Id go for Mick McCarthy myself, fingers crossed

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:52am
A question also. 

Is  the long ball tactics what put people off Trap or was it the negative tactics.  I think O Neill is direct, but he is positive rather than negative.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

A question also. 

Is  the long ball tactics what put people off Trap or was it the negative tactics.  I think O Neill is direct, but he is positive rather than negative.

Would say the negative tactics, especially at home

get a poll going?

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:00pm

He may well suit JD's perception and be a popular choice amongst many fans, but if the style of ball is chronic, people will quickly see through that and continue to stay away.

Yes, he broadly plays a long ball game, but not exclusively. His sides were never overly negative and he has often changed tack and formations to suit the players he's got and is never afraid to adapt when required. Something we've been lacking with our last manager and to some extent with both Staunton and Kerr too. 

I don't Robertson would be part of the management team  - at least not right now, as according to his wiki page he's in hospital after suffering a heart attack in late August.

Yeah, I'm aware he's been ill, even if he came in before the start of the next campaign I'd be happy with that, he's believed to be on the mend.  There were issues between them when he didn't go to Sunderland, I think he didn't want to move from the midlands and MON wasn't happy about it.  I'ms assuming that the fact he's been sick would have sorted out any personal issues they may have had and it's only something I'd heard second hand about then falling out in any case.

I think Baldrick made a good point, although O'Neill's default style is quite long ball it's a bit more up and at them rather than negative and shutting up shop when going ahead isn't part of his style.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:03pm
Hoolahan and Brady can kiss good bye to the their Ireland career's if MON gets the job too.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:07pm
On the Radio Leeds thread.....

Its a done deal. MON has been offered it and will be announced in a few weeks when he sorts out his backroom team

thats what i was told about an hour ago
Led to believe he was broached on the issue over the weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:26pm
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/31/martin-oneill-sunderland" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/31/martin-oneill-sunderland

Good piece by Daniel Taylor on O Neill when he was sacked at Sunderland.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm

Hoolahan and Brady can kiss good bye to the their Ireland career's if MON gets the job too.

Why is that?

Posted By: AlanH
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:32pm

A question also. 

That's a good question. I think some people are confusing long ball tactics with negative tactics.

As you said, O'Neill is direct, but it's a more positive style than Trap's.  It was the failure of Trap's team to be positive in home games that frustrated a lot of fans.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:35pm

wrong , brady will be laughing , MON loves wingers.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Jonesy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:37pm
MON would do the busines for Ireland.

-------------
Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:38pm
Indeed, Brady is in the John Robertson/Alan Thompson mould........

-------------

Posted By: Jonesy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:38pm

A question also. 

Exactly don't remember much route one stuff when Henrik was in the Celtic team under MON.

-------------
Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:42pm

Coleman will be encouraged to attack all day long a la Didier Agathe.........

-------------

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Jonesy Jonesy wrote:

A question also. 

Exactly don't remember much route one stuff when Henrik was in the Celtic team under MON.

That wasn't Larssons job, it was Hartsons and Suttons

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:51pm
Have to say I'll be slightly dissappointed if it is MON. If we were getting the Leicester/Celtic mon then fine but I don't think we will be. He looked like the life had been sucked out of him when he was Sunderland manager and they were awful to watch.

He's also not keen on the training ground so what exactly will he be doing whilst his coach is on the training ground for 4 days leading up to the game. These are my reservations.

On the other hand he will reunite the group, go to games, bring back the outcasts and breath confidence into our team. If it is confirmed ill be behind him 100%

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:57pm

Have to say I'll be slightly dissappointed if it is MON. If we were getting the Leicester/Celtic mon then fine but I don't think we will be. He looked like the life had been sucked out of him when he was Sunderland manager and they were awful to watch.

+1

That Sunderland side was one of the most dour sides I have ever seen.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:06pm
Being honest if he plays the Celtic way it could work well, as previous guy said do a Didier Agathe and Bobby Petta on the wings, problem is I fear Conor Sammon will be the Harston/Sutton type "forward" he will use..

Be careful what we wish for!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:09pm
On another point I can see McCarthy playing Brady off Long a la Duffer and keane in Japan/Korea!

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:39pm
A big plus for getting MON is that he won't be able to sign any players, brutal in the transfer market.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

wrong , brady will be laughing , MON loves wingers.

He likes fast wingers.

And wingers who can be defensive too.

I would say McClean is O'Neill type of player.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:43pm

Really depends on the alternatives.  Would be miles better than many mentioned.  I don't think Chris Hughton is realistic.  I'd prefer MoN to any of the other realistic contenders.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:46pm
MON wouldn't be my first choice.

Trap to a certain extent was flavour of the month with 99% of Irish fans when he was getting results.  It's only really since our performance in the Euros that fans started to turn against him.  MON plays a very similar style to Trap (long ball, percentage football) although he might not be as defensive as trap was.  Can't see MON playing anything other than 442 also.  Most of his teams were set up with a big man up top with a smaller striker playing along side him.  If we are looking to change the style of how we play then for me MON is the wrong choice.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if MON is appointed but at the same time i wouldn't be jumping for joy either.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net