You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 419>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:21pm
Those gobsh*tes will somehow come up with a reason for saying "yes". 

It got very depressing under Trap and all you need to do is look at MON's record against the higher ranked sides and do not forget the 1-0 win in Vienna - a huge result in getting us to Russia.

If MON becomes only the 2nd manager in our history to qualify for back to back tournaments, the lads will somehow claim Trap did a better job. 

Perspective lads

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 21 Aug 2017 at 2:22pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

horsebox / trap junior 

do you honestly think (without bias ) that Trap has done a better job than O'neil? 

yes or no?

No I don't.

I think O'Neill has done slightly better, and we are playing a slightly better attacking football, usually in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Having said that I wouldn't dismiss what Trap did so easily either. Which you appear to constantly do.

Both teams are f**king dire to watch to be honest.

1 attempt on goal against Wales and Austria is embarrassing. The constant hoof ball to Walters up top on his own completely isolated is .

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:22pm

horsebox / trap junior 

do you honestly think (without bias ) that Trap has done a better job than O'neil? 

yes or no?

Ask me after this campaign.  Trap got 2 2nd place finishes.  O'Neill has got 1  3rd place and this has yet to be determined.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

We qualified for the 1990 WC with 7 clean sheets out of 8, only losing to Spain 0-2 in Seville, we were absolutely rampant as a result of Euro 88 and the tournament we really deserved to go to, was Euro 92 where we'd have definitely competed strongly.

This group is on a knife-edge.
I remember we had a major injury crisis for that game and Kevin Moran played midfield and think it might have been Steve Staunton's debut.

Went to all those home games in that qualification as a youngster - we were superb beating Spain 1-0 thanks to Michel.
The NI home game was one of the best ever atmosphere's @ Lansdowne Road.
We were at our peak for Euro '92 a real shame we didn't make it.

As my learned friend has stated this current group is all to play for. 

Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Trap should have gone after the Euros, crazy keeping him in charge after that.

Didn't he sign a contract extension before the Euro 2012 finals?
If we somehow have of had a decent Euro finals tournament, and Trap went elsewhere after it because someone else had offered him a job, people would have been screaming from the rooftops about the stupidity of the FAI.
2010 missed out to France playoff.
2012 qualification.
#Hindsight

Spot on. 

Regardless of how the Euros went and we were never going to get out of that group no matter who was in charge, Trap deserved at least another campaign. 

Bottom line is we were successful under Trap up until then and any unlikely progress made out of that Euro 2012 group was seen as a bonus.

People also seem to forget that we were unlucky in that first game against Croatia, had decisions go against us and players individual mistakes cost us badly in at least 2 of the games. Trap can't be blamed entirely for Euro 2012 imo. 

Ask Welsh, Scottish and N.I. fans if they'd have taken Trap's approach and qualification in their wilderness years. 
only reason he got a full extension was the FAI fuccked up and didnt include an extension clause for the tournament, so they had to offer him a full two year deal

results were not the problem, the performances, team selection, preparation, tactics. it was not bad it was an actual embarrassment to be honest.  

we got to the tournament only beating macedonia and then estonia in a playoff. how many teams can say that.

We got to the quarter finals of the 1990 world cup beating nobody and playing dire stuff. 

We qualified for Euro88 beating only Scotland and Luxembourg. We got to 1994 by beating only Nothern Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia and Albania.

We got the last 16 of the 2002 WC by beating only Saudi Arabia.   We should write those all off as flukes and they should be struck off our record.

O'Neill's performances have been toxic for the most part. 

We beat Bulgaria too.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:37pm
Trapp's luck and MON's are two completely different things. Even with the 3rd Place being afforded a play-off MON's results have been far more impressive.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

We qualified for the 1990 WC with 7 clean sheets out of 8, only losing to Spain 0-2 in Seville, we were absolutely rampant as a result of Euro 88 and the tournament we really deserved to go to, was Euro 92 where we'd have definitely competed strongly.

This group is on a knife-edge.
I remember we had a major injury crisis for that game and Kevin Moran played midfield and think it might have been Steve Staunton's debut.

Went to all those home games in that qualification as a youngster - we were superb beating Spain 1-0 thanks to Michel.
The NI home game was one of the best ever atmosphere's @ Lansdowne Road.
We were at our peak for Euro '92 a real shame we didn't make it.

As my learned friend has stated this current group is all to play for. 

Yes we were missing quite a few for that game.  I can't recall who exactly and Kevin Moran was like a fish out of water in midfield.  Sticky start with 2 points and no goals from our first 3 games but our home form was crucial.  4 successive home wins all but ensured qualification.  

The Spain game is the one I recall for a brilliant atmosphere.  Demand was off the wall by the time of the NI game and there were a lot more corporate types at it.  I thought the atmosphere got steadily worse in that campaign.  Holland 2001 for me was the next time we got close to the Spain game atmosphere wise.      
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:19pm
That game v Spain in 1989 was memorable, the atmosphere was red hot from the capacity crowd.  It was only days after Hillsborough, but thankfully Houghton, Stan and Whelan played with Aldo just emotionally spent and didn't travel.  The team was competitive to the point of demented.  I can still see Butragueno coming off the park after about 75 minutes, beaten, dejected and utterly bullied after McCarthy made him sh*t his pants.

My sister had her wrist broken against a crush barrier when we scored, she bravely saw out the 90 minutes before going off to hospital.  Gashley spot on, in Seville we were down bodies with Moran lost in midfield and a competitive debut for Stan alright. Tunisia friendly was his debut.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:02pm

hardly the same thing is it? scotland were hardly like Scotland now? who else was in the group belgium, bulgaria?

That group was a 5 team group featuring 3 of the sides that had just come back from the WC, one of them a semi finalist that finished 3rd. Getting out of the group was a massive achievement, when you either won the group or stayed at home. The only time we ever won a group.

By contrast, we got to the last Euros by finishing third in the group for the first time ever and the second round of the finals by finishing third in the group for the first time ever, while losing half the games, by conceding double the goals scored. Mediocrity at best.

As his long ball fest, one shot at home policies are not getting the likes of West Brom and Wolves beating a path to his door atm, he would like to hang around here until he finds something better. If he does.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

hardly the same thing is it? scotland were hardly like Scotland now? who else was in the group belgium, bulgaria?

That group was a 5 team group featuring 3 of the sides that had just come back from the WC, one of them a semi finalist that finished 3rd. Getting out of the group was a massive achievement, when you either won the group or stayed at home. The only time we ever won a group.

By contrast, we got to the last Euros by finishing third in the group for the first time ever and the second round of the finals by finishing third in the group for the first time ever, while losing half the games, by conceding double the goals scored. Mediocrity at best.

As his long ball fest, one shot at home policies are not getting the likes of West Brom and Wolves beating a path to his door atm, he would like to hang around here until he finds something better. If he does.
Bollocks. We had finished third many times before.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm
Bollocks

we got to the last Euros by finishing third in the group for the first time ever.....

Edited by planning - 21 Aug 2017 at 5:25pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:24pm

Bollocks

we got tothe last Euros by finishing third in the group for the first time ever.....
Don't blame me for your syntax, chief!
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:04pm
trap got us 2 the euro's however do you remember the group we were in to qualify and how we played in that group?..then we got Estonia in the play offs...best not mention how we played in the tournament itself..M.O.N. by a country mile..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

trap got us 2 the euro's however do you remember the group we were in to qualify and how we played in that group?..then we got Estonia in the play offs...best not mention how we played in the tournament itself..M.O.N. by a country mile..
Absolutely right pepper67.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:13pm
Martin O'Neill has set Irish football back 30 years
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

Do you remember who we got in 2012?
The 2 finalists and a very strong Croatia side.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No excuse. The performances were the worst part. It was abject and immovable. Remember Cox on the wing?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No excuse. The performances were the worst part. It was abject and immovable. Remember Cox on the wing?

I never said they were good performances. There were absolutely no positives to be taken from 2012.

Just highlighting the content of the group and then compare that with 2016.

We beat a half arsed Italy who had already topped the group.
Belgium destroyed us and Sweden were poor and we only drew and then France beat us comfortably too.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 419>
  Share Topic