You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 412413414415416 419>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 10:50am
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

MON pedalling his own agenda. Rice was on bench for a competitive game. Of course he would have come on 
Rice was never on the bench for a competitive game.

He was as far as I remember for Moldova. 

Apologies he was in the squad but not on bench. Hardly accepted a call
Up for 2 matches intending not to play 

Lot of people think he did, bit of a Mandela effect
He wasn't named in the provisional or final squads V Moldova and Wales
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/provisional-republic-of-ireland-mnt-squad-announced
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/oneill-finalises-squad-for-moldova-wales-games

so he wasn't on the bench against Moldova

He actually played against Norway the night before for the U21s, and Israel a few days later
https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2022415--republic-of-ireland-vs-norway/
https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2022413--republic-of-ireland-vs-israel/

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 08 Dec 2022 at 10:54am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 10:56am
Neither player decided to play for the eire and they both backed away as soon as they got close to getting stuck with us. Its obvious they were never commited.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Neither player decided to play for the eire and they both backed away as soon as they got close to getting stuck with us. Its obvious they were never commited.
Absolutely. What goes around comes around. I bet they're spitting chips at missing the Malta triumph. Stuff them and their World Cup. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:06am
Rice would have 100% played for us competitively if given the chance, he was already appearing for West Ham at the time. The timing was crucial in that we had no competitive games in the first half of 2018 and England's march to the semi finals had his head fully turned. The one that got away......

Grealish on the other hand was using us to enhance his reputation. I don't believe he would have accepted a cap against the mighty Gibraltar in 2014
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:07am
I mean he's not wrong, is he? Grealish never intended on playing for the seniors. Any time he was asked about the step up, he was noncommittal and deliberate in his wording. He said himself the reason he went with us at underage level is because he'd be playing against older age groups, against better players, and getting more game time; if that isn't a red flag, then what is? I read an interview with one of his youth coaches at Villa who said playing for England was always his dream. He never accepted a senior call-up, so I don't understand how people act like we missed our shot. We never had one. Declan Rice would never have accepted a thirty second sub appearance in a competitive game that would tie him down forever when the man on the moon knew he was potentially good enough for England. He gladly played in senior friendly games for us because they wouldn't cap tie him, and starting against big International sides would boost his profile. He's not Josh Cullen or Conor Coventry. He's a Top 6 Premier League standard player. He never would've went with us, at least not until his career started circling the drain and he remained uncapped competitively by England.

I suggest the reason Trapattoni almost seemed to encourage Marc Wilson to stick with the North and James McCarthy with Scotland, and O'Neill almost seemed to advise Obafemi to hold off on a call-up, is simply because they are narcissists who resent being told what to do by the fans of a country who are "lucky" to be managed by them. The Grealish and Rice situations were completely different. Trapattoni and O'Neill would've been culpable if any of those lads switched because of their belligerence. There's nothing O'Neill could've done differently re: Grealish or Rice, no matter what revisionist fantasies people come out with.

Grealish’s family have been in Qatar, with dad Kevin donning a Union Jack waistcoat and bow tie that “looks like something from the market” at games that visually-impaired sister Hollie supports him at, according to the City player.

This is the same chap, along with the brother Kevan, who were doing Jack's PR in Irish media and on forums to say all the right things and keep people sweet. People bought it hook, line and sinker. Same with Declan clutching our crest or saying "Up the RA" because he thinks it's what Irish people want to see or hear. Give me a break.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 08 Dec 2022 at 11:09am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:14am
It was fairly obvious with Grealish from early on that we weren't his first choice. I'm amazed there are still supporters that think we could have tied him to us at any point.

With Rice though, it's hard to know. Maybe if we had tried very early on we might have got him, but possibly he would still have said no. The fact he was with the Under 21s when everyone thought we should have capped him against Moldova is telling I think, I suspect he was happy enough to keep his options open at that point.

Ultimately neither wanted to play for us when it came down to it so it's not worth getting too upset over. Especially Grealish, I'm surprised people still go on about him, what makes him different to Michael Keane other than he turned out to be a better player? And nobody seems to care about Keane doing the same thing so it's just hypocrisy to then have a go at Grealish. 

Personally I think underage football should be a free pass in terms of eligibility - let players make the decision at senior level, but then hold them to that decision. Because that is my view I do resent Rice taking a few senior caps and then going - he should have declined the friendly caps and stayed with the 21s if he wasn't fully committed. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:16am
HH, to say Rice ‘never would have went with us’, ignores how he came to the decision to play for England. It’s easy to forget how poor England were after 2006, and the spirit was at an all time low before Russia 2018. Also, without Southgate, players from the likes of West Ham didn’t really get a look in. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:23am
O Neill using Rice and Grealish to pimp his book. Man has no shame.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

O Neill using Rice and Grealish to pimp his book. Man has no shame.

This right here
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

HH, to say Rice ‘never would have went with us’, ignores how he came to the decision to play for England. It’s easy to forget how poor England were after 2006, and the spirit was at an all time low before Russia 2018. Also, without Southgate, players from the likes of West Ham didn’t really get a look in. 

Yep Rice said he made the decision due to England's run to the Semi Finals and the feel good factor it gave the country.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 11:52am
Rice said here that he made the decision to play for England before 2018. 

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Rice said here that he made the decision to play for England before 2018. 

I've always read the "It was done then" as that was the point he decided to play for England, he'd only played for Ireland a few weeks prior if he had already decided before the WC then why did he play for us in June two weeks before the tournament.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:11pm
MON thought we should be down on our knees thanking him for condescending to manage Ireland (or the Republic as he insisted on calling us). I don't really want English born players playing for us and then regretting the decision afterwards. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I've always read the "It was done then" as that was the point he decided to play for England, he'd only played for Ireland a few weeks prior if he had already decided before the WC then why did he play for us in June two weeks before the tournament.

In fact, I would say there is no other way to read it. It all happens over the course of the 2018 WC. From recall, expectations in England were low before the WC and a tight win over Tunisia didn’t do much to improve spirits. The hammering of Panama (and securing qualification as a result turned heads), and it went from there. It all happened during the Dubai trip.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 2:52pm
Of all the things that can be levelled at O'Neill during his tenure, those 2 defecting back to England is bottom of the list IMO. We'd obviously love to have them in the team for their ability, but Grealish was never going to player for us. 

Can't remember if Rice wasn't included in the matchday squad for that Austria game just after his PL debut, but I don't remember too many people shouting for his inclusion around the time. I do believe he'd have played for us competitively for us around that time but things moved very quickly for him in terms of his progression at West Ham.

Another thing which should be stored away with the Saipan files tbh.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Of all the things that can be levelled at O'Neill during his tenure, those 2 defecting back to England is bottom of the list IMO. We'd obviously love to have them in the team for their ability, but Grealish was never going to player for us. 

Can't remember if Rice wasn't included in the matchday squad for that Austria game just after his PL debut, but I don't remember too many people shouting for his inclusion around the time. I do believe he'd have played for us competitively for us around that time but things moved very quickly for him in terms of his progression at West Ham.

Don’t think either would have improved us massively it’s not as if they’re both scoring huge amount of goals. Rice is basically doing the same thing Glenn Whelan did for us yet he seems to be getting lauded for it where Glenn just got abuse for it.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:12pm
All happened around the time of the 5-1 Denmark game wasn't it.

Denmark hammered us because we'd no competent DM, and then took off the ones that played.

If we'd won that game we'd have had competitive games in WC next June rather than the Turkey friendly that he played in instead
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Don’t think either would have improved us massively it’s not as if they’re both scoring huge amount of goals. Rice is basically doing the same thing Glenn Whelan did for us yet he seems to be getting lauded for it where Glenn just got abuse for it.

World of difference between Rice and Whelan. And that’s not to denigrate Whelan. But they are different players in many ways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 412413414415416 419>
  Share Topic