You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 419>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm
TJ, will you stop being so honest. They don't want to hear the truth. MON gets cut a lot of slack on this forum because of his past achievements with one club in particular. And MON won 1 european cup, he didn't play in the final against Malmo in 1979 iirc. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 11:47pm
€2 f**king million a year. I'm convinced there is a long list of would be managers in this country who could do equally as sh*te a job for a fraction of that. Holy f**king sh*t. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

For me the biggest turning point was Austria at home. 

?

Not sure anything can overshadow dropping points to Georgia.

Not only was it dropping points to a pot 5 team, it was the way the match was played out and the scenario in the group where Serbia were playing like donkeys also (so much to the point they sacked the coach after the qualifying) it's probably the best opportunity we're gonna get to top a group stage in a World Cup qualifier in a long time.

In terms of fan confidence it had to be the most devastating result since Cyprus, absolutely no one believed we'd get anything after that match, when I say no one I don't mean just TJ either. All you have to do is go back on this thread alone to see how devastating it was.

Serbia sacked their Manager for playing sh*te but qualifying,the FAI keep our manager for playing sh*te and not qualifying. Serbia ended up having a decent World Cup run as a result, FAI need to grow some balls.

That Georgia team should've beaten the pot 1 side away and anyone watching our previous games with Georgia knows that they deserved at least a draw in some of those games. That result in Georgia didn't surprise me and they were also unlucky at home to Serbia. They're a tough nut when they play the stronger teams. 

In terms of winning the group the momentum stopped after the Austria home game. The Welsh home overall was a good result given our injuries going into the game and we could've lost it with Bale's chance near the end. 

Georgia are a 6th seed for a reason. Let me know what other decent team went to Tbilisi and had 31% possession and completed anything like 150 passes.

We had 38% possession at home against them. Complete and utter sh*te.

We should be doing a lot better but historically and under two previous managers we still struggled against them. That 6th seeding for them isn't representative as they are much better than that. Wales amd Romania were 1st seeds and everyone knows that isn't representative of them in comparison to Germany, France etc etc. The seedings aren't always accurate. 

They were unlucky against our group rivals in some of their games too. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How many games did we play well in the last campaign?  

I'd say none.  The highlight was 45 mins int he 2nd half in Vienna.  The rest was pure dogsh*t.  We had unbelievable amounts of luck and couldn't take advantage of the weakest group we were ever drawn in for the WC qualifying. 

If we were playing well and showing signs of progress you could justify keeping him on. The football has been worse than pub team standards with minnows running rings around us.  MON talks up Georgia as if they are Germany and we should be grateful for a draw because he cant figure out how to beat a 5th seed side.  Much gets talked of MON's tactics at home to Denmark and rightly so but his tactics are consistently poor and his approach in Copenhagen cost us. He parked the bus when it is vital to score an away goal.  That was a sh*t show.

He got some good results when he had lots of luck going his way but can anyone say we deserved to beat Germany or draw with them in Gelsenkirchen?  We were shocking in those games and just rode the arse off our luck.  Italy no matter who wants to justify it has to have a major asterisk beside that result after fielding a reserve team in a dead rubber for them.

People are only waking up to him now. The warning signs were there from the start.  He had settled for a draw against Georgia in 2014 by not bringing on Hoolahan and we didn't try to to go for the winner instead sitting back.  Only for McGeady's magic the press would hve been hounding him from that night onwards.  It was a cowardly display and TOD rightly pulled him up on it afterwards hence him taking a dislike to him ever since. Cup.

You know our qualifying tactics. "Win at home, draw away."

The fact Scotland went there and lost, would probably justify his idea that a draw in Tbilisi is grand. And sure, didn't Wales go there 25-odd years ago, and lose 5-0? Tbilisi, tough, Moldova at home "tough game". Gombeen. 

I was more relieved at beating Italy's reserves than happy. I was fully aware that no Italian gave a sht about the game. I didn't think we had a hope of beating France, and we didn't. When we won in Wales, there was no reaction from me, as we didn't win a very winnable group. The players paraded around the pitch as if we had won the World Cup, while the media hailed the smash and grab, backs to the wall job there, a "masterclass". Even rinky dink clubs like Everton and Stoke were impressed. In a group we should have won, we still had another playoff to get through and we got everything we wanted until half an hour into the home leg, when the chickens came home to roost, and the management were shown up for what they are.

Serbia and Denmark won one game each in the tournament, 1-0 against Peru and Costa Rica. Average teams with average players getting average results, mere "also ran" footnotes in the tournament. Unfortunately it was still more than what we had to show from it. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

You know our qualifying tactics. "Win at home, draw away."
Great tactic that, we’ve achieved it once it 30 years, 1990 I think.

Got great draws away in the past in Spain, France etc and then lost at home. Or draws away to Belgium, Portugal, Denmark (twice) and then drew at home.

Edited by Gary McKay - 22 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 2:01pm

?

Not only was it dropping points to a pot 5 team, it was the way the match was played out and the scenario in the group where Serbia were playing like donkeys also (so much to the point they sacked the coach after the qualifying) it's probably the best opportunity we're gonna get to top a group stage in a World Cup qualifier in a long time.

In terms of fan confidence it had to be the most devastating result since Cyprus, absolutely no one believed we'd get anything after that match, when I say no one I don't mean just TJ either. All you have to do is go back on this thread alone to see how devastating it was.

Serbia sacked their Manager for playing sh*te but qualifying,the FAI keep our manager for playing sh*te and not qualifying. Serbia ended up having a decent World Cup run as a result, FAI need to grow some balls.

That Georgia team should've beaten the pot 1 side away and anyone watching our previous games with Georgia knows that they deserved at least a draw in some of those games. That result in Georgia didn't surprise me and they were also unlucky at home to Serbia. They're a tough nut when they play the stronger teams. 

In terms of winning the group the momentum stopped after the Austria home game. The Welsh home overall was a good result given our injuries going into the game and we could've lost it with Bale's chance near the end. 

Georgia are a 6th seed for a reason. Let me know what other decent team went to Tbilisi and had 31% possession and completed anything like 150 passes.

We should be doing a lot better but historically and under two previous managers we still struggled against them. That 6th seeding for them isn't representative as they are much better than that. Wales amd Romania were 1st seeds and everyone knows that isn't representative of them in comparison to Germany, France etc etc. The seedings aren't always accurate. 

Wales had just finished semi finalists in the Euro's ofcourse they were deserving of the top seed in the group! LOL

Georgia were 5th seeds, not 6th seeds but it was common knowledge among the pure International football viewers on here that although Georgia deserve to be exactly where they are - They failed to beat Moldova on not 1 occasion, but 2 cracks at it and they failed, if a few talented people came through the ranks it would probably put them at 4th seeds level.

Teams should always be beating the 5th and 6th seeds no matter who they are, doesn't matter if it's a 5-0 or 1-0, a 1-1 with 31% possession is an outright disgrace. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 2:41pm

?

Wales had just finished semi finalists in the Euro's ofcourse they were deserving of the top seed in the group! LOL

Georgia were 5th seeds, not 6th seeds but it was common knowledge among the pure International football viewers on here that although Georgia deserve to be exactly where they are - They failed to beat Moldova on not 1 occasion, but 2 cracks at it and they failed, if a few talented people came through the ranks it would probably put them at 4th seeds level.

Teams should always be beating the 5th and 6th seeds no matter who they are, doesn't matter if it's a 5-0 or 1-0, a 1-1 with 31% possession is an outright disgrace. 

Georgia were 6th seeds. I even remember Brian Kerr saying how we got the worst possible 6th seed in the coverage. 

You're missing my point on seeding. Wales Romania would not be typical first seeds along the same lines as Germany/Spain etc etc. Seeding isn't always an accurate picture of how good a team is. 

Kazakhstan are another team with a low seeding who have taken points off teams like Poland and Austria and nearly us in 2012. 

I'm not defending our poor possession but we've had poor possession against every team under O'Neill. It is what it is. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 3:10pm
"Worst possible 6th seeds".....

What a disaster, how could we ever have expected poor old Martin to mastermind a path through such an implacable task.
We're decent enough..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 3:20pm
I'd give Martin a bit of respect if he had came out and said okay I f**ked up I'm sorry,

But he was more interested in renewing his rivalry with TOD and playing the high horse on ITV over the summer until Bilic completely shut him up and was never seen on since.

He's an idiot
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 5:11pm

I'd give Martin a bit of respect if he had came out and said okay I f**ked up I'm sorry,

But he was more interested in renewing his rivalry with TOD and playing the high horse on ITV over the summer until Bilic completely shut him up and was never seen on since.

He's an idiot

What did Bilic  say ? 

I seen MON was on the panel ovn itv for a Denmark game I thought it was comedic purposes 

He’s not an idiot - anybody who can get 2 million after that campaign is no idiot teresa May should draft him in as uk brexit negotiator 

Edited by Newryrep - 22 Jul 2018 at 5:12pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 5:18pm

He's an idiot
Hes an idiot ? LOL Pot and kettle here
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 6:37pm
He's not an idiot, but in all seriousness he is nowhere near as intelligent as he thinks he is. One of those people who's fairly well spoken, but when you hone in on what they're actually saying, it isn't all that impressive.
We're decent enough..
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:12am
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/kenny-defends-euro-prep-as-dundalk-aim-for-glory-37156097.html

just read this article about Dundalks preparation for Euro games, can you imagine MON doing that amount of analysis and tactical planning for one of our opponents LOL  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:06pm
https://www.facebook.com/offtheball/videos/2135767836447203/

Not a lot of football stuff discussed yet......
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Ferocious waffle so far 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Ferocious waffle so far 

Nearly everything coming back to Clough and other completely irrelevant stuff.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:52pm

Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Ferocious waffle so far 

Nearly everything coming back to Clough and other completely irrelevant stuff.

And Joe Schmidt, feels like the interviewer has given up 

Edited by depechemode - 28 Aug 2018 at 9:53pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:08pm
Joe Molloy was excellent and asked him the questions most of us would have asked. He's clearly as frustrated as we all are.

MON came up with every cliche in his annoying book , mentioning winning the league cup,Clough not practicing corners and winning 2 european cups and how he names the team at the last minute because "he's always done that" oh and Clough did it too of course.

My favourite part though was ;why do we look like we don't practise set pieces?
"Well now, you know we don't get much time with the players at all and you know the players get monday off with their clubs, so we give them monday off too!

Grim.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 419>
  Share Topic