Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
I'm more worried about the almost 2 million underestimation of our population tbh, and tnis from a supposedly very intelligent man.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'm more worried about the almost 2 million underestimation of our population tbh, and tnis from a supposedly very intelligent man.

As well as out citizenship rules which also increases our available pool - ITV obviously chose him for the Demark game for comedy value

So Martin after your 5-1 humping by Denmark what can you tell us about them ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:59pm
He probably knows quite well we have almost 5 million which as said you can probably put up to around 7 million when you consider the NI born and UK ancestry players available to us. He wants the viewers and everyone else to think isn't Martin doing miracles to even get little Ireland to a world cup play off. He doesn't even seem to be as good at the TV wisecracks as he used to be. His attitude is so like Trap it's scary and he'll most likely have the same last campaign.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:07am
I don't think either he or the FAI quite realise what damage he has done in relation to the fans attitude towards him after Denmark. Fair enough TOD might not be his cup of tea, but as the RTE fella with the mic, he is basically our only conduit to MON, besides those cringy, happy clappy stage managed FAI internal ''interviews'' that appear from time to time, and he badly misjudged the entire situation, one mainly of his own making with ridiculous substitutions at HT. 

The football being so poor is one thing (a huge thing), but if he held his hands up & said he got it wrong, I think a fair few (I won't say most) would have been content to give him another chance. This defiance of ''I'd do exactly the same again'' bollix is exactly that, and everyone to a man, woman & dog can see through it. Talking to nearly any Ireland fans, especially the casual ones, ie the ones the FAI depend on to fill the stadium, it is almost complete negativity towards his attitude & his football. All this at a time where he will be trying to bed in new players who could do with some encouragement from the stands. Maybe we'll get a few of our customary draws in Sept/Oct/Nov, but I think it will turn ugly quick enough if we lose a few. 

Wonder how ST sales are going (I don't mean among the regulars on here and those not on here that make up the 10K or so who go to every game)  they are doing a fair amount of promotion at the minute, which might suggest there hasn't been a massive demand as yet. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:48pm
Deise nails it again.

I haven't watched a single second of ITV's coverage but hear second hand some of his comments. I'd like to know, watching Denmark at any stage, did he wonder about how badly he f**ked it up last November.

He hasn't got a leg to stand on making snide comments yet he retains this smug attitude when he does.

The football does make a huge difference, but his attitude would go a long way in galvanising the support again.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm
Yeah, very accurate assessment of the situation. I always think, and it took me personally a long time to learn this myself, that people forgive mistakes a lot easier when they are admitted. MON made a mess of it in the home game, we all make mistakes, but saying he would do the same again should be a sackable offence.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 1:19pm
What really pissed me off about him on Sunday pre-match is he was encouraging Croatia and Denmark to go for it and play attacking football.

If only he could take his own advice
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

What really pissed me off about him on Sunday pre-match is he was encouraging Croatia and Denmark to go for it and play attacking football.

It is probably easier to play attacking football with better players. I wouldn't hold that against him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

It is probably easier to play attacking football with better players. I wouldn't hold that against him.

Ah that auld chestnut.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 2:46pm
By chestnut do you mean inarguable fact?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 2:55pm
It's not a fact.
It's your opinion based on you probably trying to deflect O'Neill's inability to organise a team (at least in the last 18 months or so).

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:29pm
It is fact. What player do we have comparable to Eriksen? Denmark have players at a different level to us. The ones that are at the same level are also often technically superior.
Why would I be deflecting from MON? I think he should have left after the playoffs.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:36pm
We would have a similar player in Coleman, obviously playing in a different position.

Just look at Sweden and their players - none of them are playing for top clubs - and have players very similar to ours, yet they playing for a spot in the quarter final.

They are however well organised, have a game plan and probably playing at least on a par to their ability, not to mention wiping the floor with a technically strong side that is Mexico.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:39pm
Coleman is nowhere near Eriksen, let's be honest. Also, a full back can't influence the game in anything like the same way.
Sweden are far, far technically superior to us. Their manager is overachieving with them though, no question of that.

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 Jul 2018 at 3:41pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:42pm
How are Sweden far far technically superior to us?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

How are Sweden far far technically superior to us?

How the f**k aren't they!? And they are limited themselves! I hate to answer a question with a question, but we have a very, very technically limited team. Nobody signs our players for technical ability. The Swedes can all trap a ball though, just about!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 4:05pm
You've basically thrown a comment out that you can't backup with any sort of factual information.

Player for player they are not better or worse that Ireland.

Both have 1 standout player playing for a top club - they however have a better manager and are playing above themselves.

They could well end up beating the Swiss here - and they should be up too.

Have a look at their starting 11 here - This is a very, very ordinary side here.

Olsen - Copenhagen
Lustin - Celtic
Lindeloef - United
Granqvist - Helsingborg
Augustinsson- Bremen

Claesson - Krasnodar
Svensson - Seattle
Ekdal -Hamburg
Forsberg -Leipszig

Berg - Al Ain
Toivonen - Tolouse

Ireland will never have technically superior players, all that we need is for a manager to put out a team with a plan and look to expose the opposition's weaknesses.

Edited by horsebox - 03 Jul 2018 at 4:05pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 4:09pm
Now that, that is an old chestnut. Judging a team based on who they play for is typical of the Irish EPL fan. It completely ignores everything, it is fantasy football stuff and is , for want of a better term, wanton stupidity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 419>
  Share Topic