You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Travers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 37>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Areola was given stupid wages by West Ham last year and he played 2nd fiddle to Fabianski. If Bournemouth are willing to match even a % of Netos wages then it's a no brainer for him to go there won't be many of any other clubs match it. Suspect it will be similar to Dean Henderson at Utd in that they pay a good portion of them and Barca pay the excess myself.

He's 34yo so will be looking for a final lucrative contract. Lad has also played 2nd even 3rd fiddle at clubs for a good portion of his career so don't know how lads can conclude he "won't want to be sitting on the bench".

Could have it all wrong maybe he will get the nod over our lad. It would make absolutely zero sense not to have your most promising young player and most sellable asset as first choice but then again Bournemouths window has been strange. 

Neto is real good competition to a young keeper like Travers if he struggles don't forget he is young and certainly Bournemouth will struggle. That might effect Travers himself my one worry for the lad. Ability is not in question.

agree but actually speaking of areola, parker did something similar at fulham. they won promotion with rodak in goal playing well and then areola came in on loan and pretty much immediately took his spot. i think this is different as a) travers is better than rodak and b) neto has largely been a career backup and is 34, not an up and coming prospect as areola was. guess we will have to wait and see what happens
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:50pm
Neto is 33 lads
Minor detail but still

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Areola was given stupid wages by West Ham last year and he played 2nd fiddle to Fabianski. If Bournemouth are willing to match even a % of Netos wages then it's a no brainer for him to go there won't be many of any other clubs match it. Suspect it will be similar to Dean Henderson at Utd in that they pay a good portion of them and Barca pay the excess myself.

He's 34yo so will be looking for a final lucrative contract. Lad has also played 2nd even 3rd fiddle at clubs for a good portion of his career so don't know how lads can conclude he "won't want to be sitting on the bench".

Could have it all wrong maybe he will get the nod over our lad. It would make absolutely zero sense not to have your most promising young player and most sellable asset as first choice but then again Bournemouths window has been strange. 

Neto is real good competition to a young keeper like Travers if he struggles don't forget he is young and certainly Bournemouth will struggle. That might effect Travers himself my one worry for the lad. Ability is not in question.

agree but actually speaking of areola, parker did something similar at fulham. they won promotion with rodak in goal playing well and then areola came in on loan and pretty much immediately took his spot. i think this is different as a) travers is better than rodak and b) neto has largely been a career backup and is 34, not an up and coming prospect as areola was. guess we will have to wait and see what happens

Yeah but he was back up at Barca and Juventus rather than a back up keeper at some bottom half team.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:19am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 9:34am
Neto going for his medical apparently. Presumably too late for tomorrow's game, but puts the pressure on Travers from day 1.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:00am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Neto going for his medical apparently. Presumably too late for tomorrow's game, but puts the pressure on Travers from day 1.

Neto seems to be a serial backup throughout his career, but I can't imagine he's getting paid less than Travers. You'd have to wonder what the plan is here.

I think Travers is a top keeper so he might relish the challenge like he did last season and locked his position down.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:12am
Apparently he's only coming in on a one year contract - clearly not the kind of player that fancies sticking around for a season in the Championship next year if/when they go back down. May well have been given assurances about first team football this season if he's agreed to join from Barca.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:20am

Apparently he's only coming in on a one year contract - clearly not the kind of player that fancies sticking around for a season in the Championship next year if/when they go back down. May well have been given assurances about first team football this season if he's agreed to join from Barca.

Barca might also see him as a player they're looking to unload and told him he's dropping down the goalkeeper pecking order. 

Potentially his hand might have been a little forced here and his options may have been limited until Bournemouth came in.

Might barca have paid him off to join Bournemouth? I just think there are probably better keeper option available to Bournemouth than him if they seriously wanted to replace Travers. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:24am
I think Bournemouth's options are limited. Pretty much everyone thinks they're getting relegated (and they're probably right) so the only players that will sign are loans, one year deals and players that won't mind playing in the second tier. That limits their options a lot.

Edited by You Tell Me - 05 Aug 2022 at 10:26am
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:29am
Yeah if he's signing a one year deal can guess there's the option of extending the deal if they avoid relegation. And if they're relegated they ain't stuck with an overpriced player in the championship like what happened before.

Edited by J89 - 05 Aug 2022 at 10:29am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Barca might also see him as a player they're looking to unload and told him he's dropping down the goalkeeper pecking order. 

Potentially his hand might have been a little forced here and his options may have been limited until Bournemouth came in.

Might barca have paid him off to join Bournemouth? I just think there are probably better keeper option available to Bournemouth than him if they seriously wanted to replace Travers. 

100% and if you look at PL clubs most of them Man Utd might be an exception have thier goalkeeping department tight. Bournemouth one of the few if any clubs that will remotely match is his inflated wages. Makes sense for Bournemouth to bring him in for his experience. Still happy Travers will get initially and maintain the No.1 jersey myself. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 11:51am
hes a back up player no concerns for super mark travers.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 12:12pm
His name reminds me of Jack Traven in Speed.

I'm better than you, Mark! I'm better! I'm better!

Yeah? Well, I'm TALLER!

*Neto's head falls off*
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 3:17pm
Neto looks to be confirmed. What on earth more could Travers have done 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

He's on a half sheet for the first half against Villa. Looks like Villa have had two shots on target. Hopefully he just keeps doing this for the second half. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 4:25pm

I've read that Bournemouth want senior competition for him. By no means a given that Neto starts 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 4:55pm
Of the three young Irish lads in the Premier League today Travers will end the day the happiest with his lot. A clean sheet and it sounds like he did well when called on.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

I've read that Bournemouth want senior competition for him. By no means a given that Neto starts 

Neto has played 12 games in last 3 years. He can hardly think he's rocking up to the number 1 shirt given how Travers has performed the last 12 months.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 37>
  Share Topic