Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16121613161416151616 1771>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

SA

From the 7 seasons seasons ending 96-02 utd won 5 leagues, 1 European cup and 2 fa cups

That's an fa cup more than the period you mention, just thought I'd point that out

OK, then the second best period in United's history to you. But in theory the last seven years, which consisted of five league titles (losing one by one point and the other by goal difference) along with THREE European Cup Finals (the club had only been in two in it's entire history before that) is the best period in the club's history to me.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:06pm
Here is some of your comments -

"United plainly don't need an attacking midfilder"
"If United are lacking anywhere in terms of numbers - it is in central midfield,"
"With the signing of a midfielder (or two), United's squad balance is rock solid."
"The squad is perfectly balanced as I said. With just the acquistion of a midfielder required."

If I was the manager of a club and my squad was PERFECT, I wouldn't bring in any more players!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

It's gas how people on here constantly insist united bid for thiago

Who said they bid for him exactly?

Thiago admitted that United were never an option for him. They never came in for him despite keeping tabs on him for two years. 

He just wasn't what Moyes wanted.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:04pm
SA

From the 7 seasons seasons ending 96-02 utd won 5 leagues, 1 European cup and 2 fa cups

That's an fa cup more than the period you mention, just thought I'd point that out

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:03pm
It's gas how people on here constantly insist united bid for thiago

Who said they bid for him exactly?

Edited by Vivakenbarlow - 02 Sep 2013 at 8:03pm
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Fellaini left everton training ground 

United should sign Fellaini and Fellaini only. Be a great addition to the squad.

I'm not keen on this Herrara capture at all. Doesn't add up for me. Hopefully he can come in and do really well...but you never know. I think he'll find it hard to get games.

Going back in for Fabregas in January or next summer would be ideal.

Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:57pm
Fellaini left everton training ground 
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:54pm
Of course I am saying Ozil wouldn't improve United over time? Look at the balance of the squad, that's what I keep going on about? Do you not get what I'm saying... Take Ozil in the United team and consider the position(s) he plays in. An attacking midfielder from central or wide. What happens to the development of Zaha, Welbeck, Powell, Januzaj, Kagawa etc? 

United plainly don't need an attacking midfilder. Its just straight in the face obvious. They have PERFECT BALANCE in all those positions of players who are either established, establishing or real young. Perfect!

And as for saying the United squad isn't balanced, that's really just plain ridiculous. Absolutely sh*te talk. And then you say why did Moyes bid fro Ronaldo, Fabregas, Fellani, Baines, Thiago or Herrera. Crap talk again. He didn't bid for Thiago or Ronaldo, he bid for Fabregas and couldn't get him so turned to Herrera, he clearly wants two midfilders so bid for Fellaini too (in the position I had a ? in) and enquired about Baines because maybe he doesn't rate Evra or sees this as his last season with United. And if Baines did coime in, then he would loan out Buttner, so as to keep the balance in the squad right.

You're on a mad one today. Talking utter lunacy. The points you are making just don't make sense at all. I guess if you started your points saying "If I was playing Football Manager..." then I don't know why I answered. I can't stand that type of view, we are talking football here, not computer games. Not a game that is dictated by how special or big the names you put on the teamsheet are.

Edited by Siralex - 02 Sep 2013 at 7:57pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Talk about misquoting me .

All I did was pick out a number of players who I think United should be replacing from your list of players.

Also you say that you don't need Ozil who is an attacking midfielder and then say that Fabregas (an an attacking midfielder) would be perfect!. Did you not just contradict your initial post!.

Dude, are you drunk today? Do you think Mesut Ozil and Cesc Fabregas are similar players?  Look at the squad I listed, look at where the question mark is, do you think Mesut Ozil could fill that vacant spot? Really?

Obviously the most perfect player in Europe to fill that spot would be Fabregas....And we all know Moyes tried to sign Fabregas. 

And your other point about naming players that you think aren't good enough in United's squad: I'll re-post what I wrote about that:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">You also posted, and I quote: "</span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">If I was playing football manager! I would look to replace Giggs, Rio, Fletcher, Macheda and possibly Evra." I don't think you could ever understand how mental that sounds. Sorry. But if you were Man United manager you are telling me you would instantly rid the dressing-room of about 27 Premier League winning medals worth of experience..I think you are taking each player as an individual and making judgements on that. That's the road to ruin for any football mamanger. Football never was, is not and never will be an individual sport, it's a team game. And the team, or squad these days, that best utilises the sum of it's parts, wins the medals. Surely we all know that now? That's just the basics of modern-day football.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">If I'm being honest Horsebox, I think you've found yourself in Fantasy manager land; and am certain you've taken the day off work to booze up and watch Transfer Deadline Day. Because even I don't think you believe half of what you have posted in this thread in the last couple of hours. Either that, or it's teh worst case of wumming ever.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">United's squad has perfect balance. Whether you, or I, or Frank Sinatra thinks that Macehda is or isn't a good enough individual player is just totally insignificant. Same goes for Ashley Young or any individual I personally  don't rate.</span>
</span>
</span>

Ozil can fit into any squad because he is a quality player, the more
quality players you have the more chance that you'll be sucessful.

Are you telling me that Ozil wouldn't improve the United team\squad?

And if you go back and refer to my initial post I did say I was playing football manager!

United's squad does not have perfect balance - if it did then Moyes wouldn't be trying to sign Ronaldo, Fabregas, Fellani, Baines, Thiago or Herrera.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Scholes and he was a very important player for years.

Yeah, up until about 2005.

Paul Scholes has not been 'World Class' for many, many years.

ANd anyway, Manchester United lost Roy Keane in 2005 (the same time Scholes' top form dipped). 

Since then - and without any 'world class midfielders' as you call them, In those seven seasons Manchester United have won five league titles and been in three Champions League finals - its actually the greatest run in the entire history of the club.

So, that just goes to show you. World class individuals don't necessarily ensure trophies. But United can and have proven it that it's the sum of the parts of the team together that wins trophies....

United's greatest run ever (over the last seven years) was achieved with a mixture of Carrick and Fletcher in midfield. So, you really need to note that just buying a world class individual doesn't make the difference. I assumed people that watch football and have watched the game evolve over the last 20-years or so knows that. Its basic.

People have been saying for seven years that United need a top midfielder, but yet within those seven years, they've achieved more than the club has in any seven-year period of teh club's 130-year history.

Football is not Football Manager, results are not dictated by how many quality names you can list on your team sheet. That's how 12-year-olds view the game.

Edited by Siralex - 02 Sep 2013 at 7:25pm
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:17pm
Scholes and he was a very important player for years.

Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:14pm

Cleverly would not be in that England side if he wasn't a united player, can't believe there isn't someone better to play his position at club or country, he is not good enough IMO for united and the same goes for Ashley Young.

Well, as I always say about Cleverley doubters, if they are doubting Cleverley they sure as hell must have doubted Carrick and Fletcher. And then three years later started crying because 'Fletcher would have made a difference if he wasn't suspended" and voting Carrick as their player of the year. And as for Scholes when he broke in to the first team, christ on a bike. He was doubly frustrating in comparison to Cleverley.

Clevs has a lot to refine in his game, but as things stand he is a you-know-what-you're getting player and highly disciplined. I wouldn't be surprised one iota in the least if he was a nailed on England and United starter in three years time with everybody raving about him.

People giving out about him now are talking utter nonsense.

United need a world class midfielder and not someone who could be good in 3 years ffs, you can't keep getting away with that midfield but sure look there is no talking to you, anyone who disagrees with you is taking nonsense, good luck.

They do?

When was the last time United had a world class central midfielder?

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:12pm
Also I like the way you ignored my comment about Young, funny that....

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:10pm

Cleverly would not be in that England side if he wasn't a united player, can't believe there isn't someone better to play his position at club or country, he is not good enough IMO for united and the same goes for Ashley Young.

Well, as I always say about Cleverley doubters, if they are doubting Cleverley they sure as hell must have doubted Carrick and Fletcher. And then three years later started crying because 'Fletcher would have made a difference if he wasn't suspended" and voting Carrick as their player of the year. And as for Scholes when he broke in to the first team, christ on a bike. He was doubly frustrating in comparison to Cleverley.

Clevs has a lot to refine in his game, but as things stand he is a you-know-what-you're getting player and highly disciplined. I wouldn't be surprised one iota in the least if he was a nailed on England and United starter in three years time with everybody raving about him.

People giving out about him now are talking utter nonsense.

United need a world class midfielder and not someone who could be good in 3 years ffs, you can't keep getting away with that midfield but sure look there is no talking to you, anyone who disagrees with you is taking nonsense, good luck.

Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:09pm

All I did was pick out a number of players who I think United should be replacing from your list of players.

Also you say that you don't need Ozil who is an attacking midfielder and then say that Fabregas (an an attacking midfielder) would be perfect!. Did you not just contradict your initial post!.

Dude, are you drunk today? Do you think Mesut Ozil and Cesc Fabregas are similar players?  Look at the squad I listed, look at where the question mark is, do you think Mesut Ozil could fill that vacant spot? Really?

Obviously the most perfect player in Europe to fill that spot would be Fabregas....And we all know Moyes tried to sign Fabregas. 

And your other point about naming players that you think aren't good enough in United's squad: I'll re-post what I wrote about that:

You also posted, and I quote: "If I was playing football manager! I would look to replace Giggs, Rio, Fletcher, Macheda and possibly Evra." I don't think you could ever understand how mental that sounds. Sorry. But if you were Man United manager you are telling me you would instantly rid the dressing-room of about 27 Premier League winning medals worth of experience..I think you are taking each player as an individual and making judgements on that. That's the road to ruin for any football mamanger. Football never was, is not and never will be an individual sport, it's a team game. And the team, or squad these days, that best utilises the sum of it's parts, wins the medals. Surely we all know that now? That's just the basics of modern-day football.

If I'm being honest Horsebox, I think you've found yourself in Fantasy manager land; and am certain you've taken the day off work to booze up and watch Transfer Deadline Day. Because even I don't think you believe half of what you have posted in this thread in the last couple of hours. Either that, or it's teh worst case of wumming ever.

United's squad has perfect balance. Whether you, or I, or Frank Sinatra thinks that Macehda is or isn't a good enough individual player is just totally insignificant. Same goes for Ashley Young or any individual I personally  don't rate.

Edited by Siralex - 02 Sep 2013 at 7:15pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:06pm

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 6:57pm

I am bamboozled by your referencing Macheda....I don't get what he specifically has to do with the points being made by anyone at all.

I was making the point that United don't have to do big business today as they have super balance in the squad. The acquisition of one midfielder will do today. I emphasise how balanced the squad was and now you are saying Macheda is a weak link or something? I don't get ye?  If you want to remove Macheda from the squad list I put up, exchange him for Jesse Lindgard if you want....It's a ll the one, the fact is, the balance of ages and positions is perfect.

And how can you say "when players reach 35 they need to be replaced" in the same post that you admit his replacement was bought in two years ago?

Read my initial response.

You listed him in the squad and I responded.

I listed a 30-odd player squad. you chose to pick out one player from it (our fifth or sixth choice striker) and then put a laughing smilie beside his name.

Apart from that being a bit embarrassing, it's just totally missing the point being made. 

You also posted, and I quote: "If I was playing football manager! I would look to replace Giggs, Rio, Fletcher, Macheda and possibly Evra." I don't think you could ever understand how mental that sounds. Sorry. But if you were Man United manager you are telling me you would instantly rid the dressing-room of about 27 Premier League winning medals worth of experience..I think you are taking each player as an individual and making judgements on that. That's the road to ruin for any football mamanger. Football never was, is not and never will be an individual sport, it's a team game. And the team, or squad these days, that best utilises the sum of it's parts, wins the medals. Surely we all know that now? That's just the basics of modern-day football.

Anyway, my point is and was, United have perfect balance in their squad, they don't need to be buying Mesut Ozil. Anyone thinking United should sign him are looking at a different sport to the one I watch.

Edited by Siralex - 02 Sep 2013 at 7:05pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 6:54pm

I am bamboozled by your referencing Macheda....I don't get what he specifically has to do with the points being made by anyone at all.

I was making the point that United don't have to do big business today as they have super balance in the squad. The acquisition of one midfielder will do today. I emphasise how balanced the squad was and now you are saying Macheda is a weak link or something? I don't get ye?  If you want to remove Macheda from the squad list I put up, exchange him for Jesse Lindgard if you want....It's a ll the one, the fact is, the balance of ages and positions is perfect.

And how can you say "when players reach 35 they need to be replaced" in the same post that you admit his replacement was bought in two years ago?

Read my initial response.

You listed him in the squad and I responded.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16121613161416151616 1771>
  Share Topic