You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 35>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:02pm
it would be a huge bonus to see Lee O’Connor and Luca Connell make a mark with the Celtic 1st team this season. O’Connor hasn’t too much competition at right back if they don’t go out and buy someone in the next few weeks
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

it would be a huge bonus to see Lee O’Connor and Luca Connell make a mark with the Celtic 1st team this season. O’Connor hasn’t too much competition at right back if they don’t go out and buy someone in the next few weeks

Think Connell has a big chance absolutely tailor made for the manager and the way he wants to play. He played very well today when he came on. 

O’Connor as you stated they don’t have many RBs chance if he can impress. 

Afoblabi and Coffey realistically I don’t see getting a run. Think they will need loans again to play regularly. 

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Jul 2021 at 5:52pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:13am
The new manager has already identified right back as a priority for a signing so it doesn't seem like he will be placing much faith in O'Connor. To be fair O'Connor showed little during his League 2 loan to suggest that he's ready to get into the Celtic team. I still don't think he's suited to right back anyway, he's not good enough going forward for a modern day full back. I think he should focus on being a central defensive midfielder - that position is much more suited to his skillset.

Afolabi and Coffey are nowhere near to be honest, Afolabi had a disappointing loan last season at Dundee and Coffey wasn't exactly tearing it up at Cliftonville. Their futures lie away from Celtic Park.

I'm still refusing to give up on Connell though, there's clearly a player there but he needs games at a decent level. He has a lovely left foot and always seems to have time on the ball. Lack of pace is a concern though and I'd say that is holding him back. All the same I'd love to see him be given a few games with the first team in the league just to see how he fits in at that level. The SPL isn't a particularly strong league but it is fast and energetic so if he did well at that level it would be a promising sign that he could make it at a good level in time.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The new manager has already identified right back as a priority for a signing so it doesn't seem like he will be placing much faith in O'Connor. To be fair O'Connor showed little during his League 2 loan to suggest that he's ready to get into the Celtic team. I still don't think he's suited to right back anyway, he's not good enough going forward for a modern day full back. I think he should focus on being a central defensive midfielder - that position is much more suited to his skillset.

Afolabi and Coffey are nowhere near to be honest, Afolabi had a disappointing loan last season at Dundee and Coffey wasn't exactly tearing it up at Cliftonville. Their futures lie away from Celtic Park.

I'm still refusing to give up on Connell though, there's clearly a player there but he needs games at a decent level. He has a lovely left foot and always seems to have time on the ball. Lack of pace is a concern though and I'd say that is holding him back. All the same I'd love to see him be given a few games with the first team in the league just to see how he fits in at that level. The SPL isn't a particularly strong league but it is fast and energetic so if he did well at that level it would be a promising sign that he could make it at a good level in time.
Luca was the standout Irish player in that game. He is very measured and composed on the ball and has a terrific left left. I think he makes the step up to the first team this season. O Connor had a good game as well, looks very solid and wanted to get forward. He looks ready for the first team as well even if its only as a squad player. 

Afolabi and Coffey didnt stand out too much for me unfortunately.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 1:13pm
Sexy through ball from Connell to assist the third.

gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 5:36pm
Watched Charlton (My team) play Celtic friendly today, came on as a sub approx 15 minutes from the end, looked calm as usual, and another great through ball was missed by the forward, he didn't manage to get picked for either half, a different eleven was used for both halves, not looking great for him, really like the player and hope he kicks on with a good loan, as that is what I expect.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Watched Charlton (My team) play Celtic friendly today, came on as a sub approx 15 minutes from the end, looked calm as usual, and another great through ball was missed by the forward, he didn't manage to get picked for either half, a different eleven was used for both halves, not looking great for him, really like the player and hope he kicks on with a good loan, as that is what I expect.

Connell, O'Connor, Coffey and Afolabi all played a half vs Sheffield Weds mid week. New manager seems to be giving everyone a decent look in to be fair.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:02am
https://mobile.twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/1438782300385329152

Not sure how reliable this lad is but he's reporting that Luca is back off to Queens Park for a season long loan.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/1438782300385329152

Not sure how reliable this lad is but he's reporting that Luca is back off to Queens Park for a season long loan.

A bit underwhelming, considering the hopes we all had for him. 20 now and a loan to a third tier Scottish side. At least he'll get senior football I suppose.
Idah Dream!
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:37am
Another good Irish prospect destroyed by Celtic. This fella could have went to the very top and now hes playing with the Scottish equivalent of Cobh Ramblers Angry
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:41am
LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:50am
LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:53am
Got into a Bolton team by virtue of them having, by far, the most depleted resources in the division. Played 10 times as part of a team that accumulated 1 point out of a possible 30. They scored 1 goal (opposition own goal) when he was on the pitch.

Maybe, just maybe, he's not that good?

It's like any time an eligible player gets a run of 6 or 7 games at Championship level, they're assumed to be great prospects.

We've seen it with McNamara and Watson last season and now we're seeing it with Bagan this season.

Surely there's a lesson in how Liam Kelly's career has progressed since his breakthrough at Reading.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:00pm
yeah I think we have to be realistic here. Seems like he was talked up into something he maybe isnt. Players will always find their natural level over time. If he was an outstanding prospect, a club higher than a Scottish 3rd Div team would be taking him on.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Got into a Bolton team by virtue of them having, by far, the most depleted resources in the division. Played 10 times as part of a team that accumulated 1 point out of a possible 30. They scored 1 goal (opposition own goal) when he was on the pitch.

Maybe, just maybe, he's not that good?

It's like any time an eligible player gets a run of 6 or 7 games at Championship level, they're assumed to be great prospects.

We've seen it with McNamara and Watson last season and now we're seeing it with Bagan this season.

Surely there's a lesson in how Liam Kelly's career has progressed since his breakthrough at Reading.

I agree, we all have a tendency to downplay the players currently in and around the squad and overegg the young prospects. Kilkenny is a good recent example of this with people clamouring for his inclusion in the last squad. 4 weeks later and despite reasonable performances he cant even make the matchday squad at Bournemouth. That's not to say he isnt a good prospect, I thought he was the best player in a green shirt in the recent U21 victory over Bosnia, so for me he is standing out at that level which is a good first step. Meanwhile lads pile in on Hendrick, who is our only midfielder getting any game time in the PL (not as much as we would all like obviously).

The grass is always greener and all that malarkey. What I would say is that given the sheer quantity of promising young lads i.e. under 25 currently, we would have to hope that 2 or 3 quality international (and hopefully Premier League) players emerge in the next 12 to 18 months.

As for the 3 you have listed, I havent seen much of Mc Namara so I wont comment on him, Watson looks talented but lightweight and tbf he was played oop in the U21 game vs Bosnia, tends to play centrally for Derby, he's only 20 though so he can develop further physically. I wouldnt write him off, but he's still a long way off. However, playing regularly at Championship level as a defender in a decent side at 19 in Bagan's case is pretty impressive. It's early days for him of course, but he's reached a pretty high level at a young age and the fact Mc Carthy is selecting him week in, week out bodes well.
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Another good Irish prospect destroyed by Celtic. This fella could have went to the very top and now hes playing with the Scottish equivalent of Cobh Ramblers Angry

Surely that's Cove Rangers??
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 2:39pm
The fact that I had to go to page 6 to find this thread probably says it all. Just had a look at his playing stats on Wikipedia. Jesus, it's grim. At Celtic since 2019. How long is his contract? Surely can't be much longer..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 2:53pm
Looks like he's started Queen's Park's last five matches.
The issue being they play in the Scottish 3rd tier, a fair fall from his time in the Championship.

Still only 20 years old, but he's been dropped form our U21 squad in favour of others, so it's fair to say his trajectory is not promising.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 35>
  Share Topic