You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 133>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What hours do you pick for the 16-8?

12-8 I can eat I normally feel hungry at about 11ish and I'll either eat lunch straight away or if I'm going to the gym I'll have an apple or something and go there and have my lunch after at my desk.  
Not been getting to exercise as much as I'd like with my schedule but I can control the diet. 
Had my first long drive for work the either day going watching a jet fire. 6 hours in the car I'd normally have a burger King but I stuck to it. That's been the hardest day  
New baby is here in 7 weeks so the sleepless nights will be a killer.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

12-8 I can eat I normally feel hungry at about 11ish and I'll either eat lunch straight away or if I'm going to the gym I'll have an apple or something and go there and have my lunch after at my desk.  
Not been getting to exercise as much as I'd like with my schedule but I can control the diet. 
Had my first long drive for work the either day going watching a jet fire. 6 hours in the car I'd normally have a burger King but I stuck to it. That's been the hardest day  
Fair play, I tried the 16/8 a few years back and had to start earlier in the day, 10.30 to 6.30 were my times.

Is this your first kid? The snacking late at night will be tough but on the flip side, there's endless amount of time for walks. I'm sure your OH wouldn't mind you taking the kid out in the buggy for a 90 minute walk, baby sleeps, wife sleeps, you get your exercise and 90mns of podcasts. I've never walked so much as when I had my kids. Add some weight (books etc) to the buggy for bonus points. 
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:28pm

Fair play, I tried the 16/8 a few years back and had to start earlier in the day, 10.30 to 6.30 were my times.

Is this your first kid? The snacking late at night will be tough but on the flip side, there's endless amount of time for walks. I'm sure your OH wouldn't mind you taking the kid out in the buggy for a 90 minute walk, baby sleeps, wife sleeps, you get your exercise and 90mns of podcasts. I've never walked so much as when I had my kids. Add some weight (books etc) to the buggy for bonus points. 

nah it's our 3rd. i used to take our eldest out on long walks but with the 2 lads and him being 4 it's better to take them somewhere to do something or he'll be bored. end up not walking as much. It's a good tip though. 
IG @flanno_7hi
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:44pm
That is savage going fair play Clap
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:34pm

Not eating after 6pm does wonders 

I would caution against an overly strenuous exercise routine.

Well done on excellent results 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Not eating after 6pm is a broscience myth widely discredited, about 20 years old at this point.

If you consume fewer calories than you burn in a day (total daily energy expenditure), you will lose weight. It doesnt matter if you eat at 1am or 1pm.

Exercise will get progressively harder the longer one is in a caloric deficit, but a person should always do what they can, if they can. Increasing exercise in a dieting phase is also a good way of avoiding reducing calories as your TDEE drops.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Not eating after 6pm is a broscience myth widely discredited, about 20 years old at this point.

If you consume fewer calories than you burn in a day (total daily energy expenditure), you will lose weight. It doesnt matter if you eat at 1am or 1pm.

Exercise will get progressively harder the longer one is in a caloric deficit, but a person should always do what they can, if they can. Increasing exercise in a dieting phase is also a good way of avoiding reducing calories as your TDEE drops.
This is true, but often a lot of the excess calories people consume are snacks after dinner. Pack of crisps, toast, etc. So if you say you're not eating anything after your dinner, your daily caloric intake will decrease by proxy. 

Bit of a pointless comment I suppose but my general point is that cutting yourself off at a certain time is a legitimate way to control your food intake.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

This is true, but often a lot of the excess calories people consume are snacks after dinner. Pack of crisps, toast, etc. So if you say you're not eating anything after your dinner, your daily caloric intake will decrease by proxy. 

Bit of a pointless comment I suppose but my general point is that cutting yourself off at a certain time is a legitimate way to control your food intake.
Yeah exactly, it's the quality you're likely to eat after 6 that's much worse than before 6. Snacking at 2pm in the afternoon is likely better quality food/drink that what you reach for at 8.30

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:54pm

Yeah exactly, it's the quality you're likely to eat after 6 that's much worse than before 6. Snacking at 2pm in the afternoon is likely better quality food/drink that what you reach for at 8.30

Sure, just wanted to clarify that there is no scientific basis for doing this. It might be the case that someone on here would rather go to bed a bit fuller rather than hungry, so if that's you then dont be afraid to eat something later, as long as you are under your calories for the day.

Personally, I typically save the majority of my calories in a dieting phase for later in the day, as I know that if I'm hungry at night I'm more likely to want to snack, whereas if I'm eating a good meal at say, 7pm and 9pm, I'm probably going to be full from good food and far less likely to reach for sh*te.

Obviously putting a time limit on eating can be mentally beneficial for some, but it if it doesnt work for you then dont worry about it. 

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 7:59pm

Technically correct but much more likely to consume needless junk.in the evenings

Not eating after 6 is very effective 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 9:19am

Sure, just wanted to clarify that there is no scientific basis for doing this. It might be the case that someone on here would rather go to bed a bit fuller rather than hungry, so if that's you then dont be afraid to eat something later, as long as you are under your calories for the day.

Personally, I typically save the majority of my calories in a dieting phase for later in the day, as I know that if I'm hungry at night I'm more likely to want to snack, whereas if I'm eating a good meal at say, 7pm and 9pm, I'm probably going to be full from good food and far less likely to reach for sh*te.

Obviously putting a time limit on eating can be mentally beneficial for some, but it if it doesnt work for you then dont worry about it. 

When you say it was a "bioscience myth discredited about 20 years ago" you make it sound like anyone ever thought you could eat what you wanted from 8 am to 6. There was never anything to discredit. It's just something that works for most people.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 9:24am

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Tipped the scale at 96kg on New Years Day, aiming for under 90 by 31st May. Anyone wanna post up a target and we revisit them at some point?

Deal 

Want to lose 5kg myself. Never, ever been heavier in my life. Cry

In fairness a lot of false weight because of the old over indulging so hopefully it will be more realistic in a week. 

Check back here in two weeks? 
Handshake

Right, where are we at here?

As of this morning I'm 1.6kg down, but that is the same as a few days ago. Hoping to lose another 0.3kg by Saturday morning as that will be another small milestone

Diet vastly improved. Activity levels not so much. Although I am out and about loads because of pre season, not doing any real exercise myself. Need to cop on and get off my hole

Heading to a friends house tonight. Going to leave the car at home and walk or cycle
Well done.

Bizzarly I'm also down 1.6kg....
Dec 31st - 96kg
Jan 18th - 94.4kg

Happy the start, probably a lot of the Christmas excess that fell off pretty quickly with a quiet January and only one night out. Gets tougher now to build that into a healthy habit rather than a 3 week healthy period.
End Feb weight in

Dec 31st - 96 kg
Jan 18th - 94.4 kg
Feb 28th - 93.6 kg

Slowly making progress, just about on track for my goal of 90kg by end May. Haven't been below 93 in 2 years so that's the next target for me
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:05pm

1. Avoid bread
2. Try not to drink at home, especially beer. 
3. Reduce carbohydrates generally 
4. Reduce portion size
5. Protein is key. 
6. Hydrate.
7 eat at home, no delis or takeaway 
8 limit or eliminate sugar

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:17pm

When you say it was a "bioscience myth discredited about 20 years ago" you make it sound like anyone ever thought you could eat what you wanted from 8 am to 6. There was never anything to discredit. It's just something that works for most people.

I say that because it was a common thing to hear in the fitness space about 15-20 years ago.

The discredation comes from a perspective where it was claimed that because you werent eating close to bedtime, your body would break down fat to use for energy while you were sleeping. 

In reality there is no benefit scientific benefit to this, if one person eats after 6 and the other doesnt on the same number of calories.

If it helps people mentally to stop eating after a certain time then fine, but that's all it is. It's just as likely that a person will be mentally better off by keeping a sizable amount of their calories for later in the day
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:31pm

1. Avoid bread From a satiety perspective, maybe, but if a person likes bread then there is nothing inherently wrong with it. Especially wholemeal bread. Eat bread if you want.
2. Try not to drink at home, especially beer. Yes, alcohol is very harmful to weight loss and fitness journeys.
3. Reduce carbohydrates generally Why? LOL
4. Reduce portion size In general probably advised, but if you're filling up on vegetables (which you should be) then it's probably going to result in bigger portions. 
5. Protein is key. Agreed.
6. Hydrate. Agreed
7 eat at home, no delis or takeaway Agreed, but no harm in a takeaway once a while. 
8 limit or eliminate sugar Refined or added sugar, sure. Nothing to worry about from natural sugars in whole foods. 

More examples of bioscience here. If this worked for you then fine but you seem to be giving this as general advice when half of it is nonsense.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 9:51pm

my youngest is also 18 months and up until 2 months ago wasn't sleeping through so getting sleep was a priority. 
We all have different lives lads, i wouldn't be so quick to judge. I'll check back in in 3 months when I've lost a few stone. 

Checking back in now. about to enter month 3. I've lost 31lbs so far. gone from 18st 4lbs to 16st 1lb. Hoping to make it to 14st even as my target so getting there. The 16-8 fasting has really helped with cutting out the snacking. at around 1650KCals a day now which is grand when it is only 2 meals. 
Been going to the gym about 3 times a week during lunch break at work.

Have been back enjoying a pint or two the last few weeks so i've only lost 6lbs this last month. That's 37 down now to 15st 9lbs. It's mad how bad i am at dieting when i have a few beers, want takeaways after a few LOL
IG @flanno_7hi
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 9:59pm

my youngest is also 18 months and up until 2 months ago wasn't sleeping through so getting sleep was a priority. 
We all have different lives lads, i wouldn't be so quick to judge. I'll check back in in 3 months when I've lost a few stone. 

Checking back in now. about to enter month 3. I've lost 31lbs so far. gone from 18st 4lbs to 16st 1lb. Hoping to make it to 14st even as my target so getting there. The 16-8 fasting has really helped with cutting out the snacking. at around 1650KCals a day now which is grand when it is only 2 meals. 

Have been back enjoying a pint or two the last few weeks so i've only lost 6lbs this last month. That's 37 down now to 15st 9lbs. It's mad how bad i am at dieting when i have a few beers, want takeaways after a few LOL

Feel your pain, completely throws me off plan. Fair play that is still great going, naturally enough it would start to slow up after such a big loss in the beginning. Keep it up ClapClap
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Feel your pain, completely throws me off plan. Fair play that is still great going, naturally enough it would start to slow up after such a big loss in the beginning. Keep it up ClapClap
Thanks Greener.
IG @flanno_7hi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 133>
  Share Topic