Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOI in Europe 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Still did it though...

You need to chill out and learn to take a compliment.

Yes, fair play, I still don't see it as comparable to Dundalk's efforts last year, but that is neither here nor there.

I have no idea what you are on about after, what compliment and who isn't chilled out? Today is the most 'chilled' I have been n about 4 years too.LOL
I see the improving European results as a progression. Clubs started winning a round every year. Then two. Cork and B*hs took some serious scalps. Shels knocked on the door, then Drogs harder. Rovers made the group stage. Then Dundalk who put points on the board. I can see this Cork side going the distance and potentially further as I believe they are stronger on their day than Dundalk were 1/2 years ago. If you chose to be offended by that, good luck to you.
Nobody is being offended, I didn't see a compliment as the posts I were referring to was where you and Tony Cousins wrongly gave out to a city fan for going on about achievements after it was fans of other clubs brought it up.

I disagree on progression, I think the league has gone backwards over the past decade, it has just produced some decent teams and has been helped by the back door systems UEFA have in place. The league as a whole has been in decline for a while.

I also don't think City will make the group stages, I hope I am proved wrong but I cannot see it happening at all. We should beat Levadia but I would fancy Larnaca against us, although having Maguire gives us a chance.against them. If we do get through the opposition is, by and large, way out of our league.

City will have a far better chance of making the groups next year due to the backdoor. The only way an Irish team will make the Europa groups is by starting in the champions league
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:27pm
I didn't mention the league progressing. At any given time there are two, three or four strong teams. They change but the best sides are far better than the best sides of old.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:31pm

I didn't mention the league progressing. At any given time there are two, three or four strong teams. They change but the best sides are far better than the best sides of old.

I am not sure about that, there is certainly a case but I am not sure. I think the backdoors etc. might deceive us a bit there.
As it stands now, It isn't unrealistic that we will only have one club go through one round and then we will have wailing and gnashing of teeth in the media of how the league has fallen. I wouldn't use Europe as the sole measuring stick, although it is obviously a good indicator.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:34pm
I was merely making light of "conservative" remarks and comments on the manager. If we score 100 goals this season the dublin meeja will still describe us as a hard tackling strong team who struggle away from home. It's lazy and you can see it seeping through to the public. This is not KR Reykjavik era City with a handful of half arsed players not up for a challenge. It's a different beast entirely. As PM said though by far the best chance for Irish teams is starting in the CL and that's where the breakthroughs will come from. For this year I would be delighted to match last year's impressive achievement of making the third round. 

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 20 Jun 2017 at 2:37pm
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:36pm
I agree, I think beating Levadia and Larnaca would surpass beating Linfield and Hacken. I am not optimistic though.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm

I agree, I think beating Levadia and Larnaca would surpass beating Linfield and Hacken. I am not optimistic though.

Always optimistic, wouldn't be able for the LOI otherwise. I'd say we have a decent chance but would obviously be decent odds to make that stage. Regardless the focus should be on Levadia first.  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Always optimistic, wouldn't be able for the LOI otherwise. I'd say we have a decent chance but would obviously be decent odds to make that stage. Regardless the focus should be on Levadia first.  
Joys of being away, can look at it with a bit more perspective! If I had to predict now  I would go with City getting passed Levadia comfortable enough before a narrow defeat to Larnaca. Maguire will score in both ties before heading off to sunny Preston.
I think Derry and Dundalk will both exit quietly and Shams will narrowly go out to St Jarnan( as they are referred to by Eir Sports, how hard is it to copy a name from a screen?).
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:53pm

Joys of being away, can look at it with a bit more perspective! If I had to predict now  I would go with City getting passed Levadia comfortable enough before a narrow defeat to Larnaca. Maguire will score in both ties before heading off to sunny Preston.
I think Derry and Dundalk will both exit quietly and Shams will narrowly go out to St Jarnan( as they are referred to by Eir Sports, how hard is it to copy a name from a screen?).

To be fair PM you said we'd take a beating from Hacken last year too Wink For the others I'd agree with you except I think Shams will go through and Dawk will have some hope before ending in another valiant loser LOI situation. Derry to take a hammering sadly I think.
Pablo Escobar View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pablo Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:11pm
The crucial thing for us is to keep the tie alive for the home leg. If we are in with a shout I'd back us against any of the 3 possible opponents in the first 2 rounds. Keeping a potential tie alive in Larnaca would be very tough though. After that, I'd agree that we'll likely exit the competition, barring an epic upset.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:11pm

To be fair PM you said we'd take a beating from Hacken last year too Wink For the others I'd agree with you except I think Shams will go through and Dawk will have some hope before ending in another valiant loser LOI situation. Derry to take a hammering sadly I think.
I thought we would and was delighted to be proved wrong, we got a bit of luck and capitalised on it. I probably overestimated them a bit alright though.
Yeah, Rosenborg aren't what they were so Dundalk might give them a bit of a game but run out of steam. I can't see Derry getting within 4 or 5 goals of the Danes.
I think the past few years have shown there isn't much between the better sides in Ireland or Iceland, which says a lot about how their football is run. I don't think there will be much in it, it depends how much they learned from last year but it wouldn't surprise me if the underestimated the opposition again.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:19pm

I thought we would and was delighted to be proved wrong, we got a bit of luck and capitalised on it. I probably overestimated them a bit alright though.
Yeah, Rosenborg aren't what they were so Dundalk might give them a bit of a game but run out of steam. I can't see Derry getting within 4 or 5 goals of the Danes.
I think the past few years have shown there isn't much between the better sides in Ireland or Iceland, which says a lot about how their football is run. I don't think there will be much in it, it depends how much they learned from last year but it wouldn't surprise me if the underestimated the opposition again.

Having a football association more interested in developing the game than attending dinner dances helps.

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 20 Jun 2017 at 3:19pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:44pm

Who underestimated what opposition?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:47pm
I assumed you underestimated RoPs, or were you just that bad?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:56pm

We were awful. Worst team I have seen us play in Europe. They had 3 shots over the 180 and all 3 went in. Was the beginning of the end of Fenlon.

Edited by roverstillidie - 20 Jun 2017 at 3:56pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:01pm

We were awful. Worst team I have seen us play in Europe. They had 3 shots over the 180 and all 3 went in. Was the beginning of the end of Fenlon.
And that is why I assumed you underestimated them, it was obviously wishful thinking!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:55pm

And that is why I assumed you underestimated them, it was obviously wishful thinking!
They were exactly what we thought they would be. Rovers blew it big time
ccfcmurphy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfcmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:17pm
Eir sport showing Cork City's match vs Tallin Clap . Sound lads

Makes you wonder what RTE invest there money in these days
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
I fancy cork will get through that one handy enough
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
  Share Topic