Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55404
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: LOI in Europe 2017
Posted By: adineen98
Subject: LOI in Europe 2017
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:05pm
It's that time of year again. We're just over two weeks away from the first qualifying round of the Europa League, and around a month from when Dundalk enter the Champions League second qualifying round. How does everyone feel about the upcoming campaigns for our representatives? As a City fan, I'd be delighted with a run like last season's run.

Replies:
Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:25pm
It depends on the draw really, certainly in the Europa League and who will be in each 'group'. I can't see Derry or Shams doing anything, with a bit of luck in the draw City might get through a round or two.
There are some very tough teams for Dundalk too and it would be hard to see the current team beating someone like BATE. You would have to imagine drawing FH again or someone like Sheriff would be their best bet.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:44pm
Best of luck to all the LOI clubs in the draw. I can only look forward to the day when my own club are there.

Cork with Maguire for July could do damage. I've a hunch that Derry might do something also, they've really steadied the ship. Can't see Dundalk doing much this year unfortunately.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:45pm
Is the draw for both comps next week by the way?

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:16am
http://twitter.com/niallnewberry/status/874334270592090112" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/niallnewberry/status/874334270592090112

The list of Dundalk's opponents, I forgot this was broken down regionally too. FH have to be the best bet again.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:45am
I wouldn't mind a trip to the Baltics.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:47am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

http://twitter.com/niallnewberry/status/874334270592090112" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/niallnewberry/status/874334270592090112

The list of Dundalk's opponents, I forgot this was broken down regionally too. FH have to be the best bet again.

I'd say anything other than FH from the main group would be a nightmare for Dundalk. Outside of the main group, Qarabag or Sheriff wouldn't be too bad, but I could be wrong, I don't know much about them.

From a City perspective, assuming the regional groups and seedings are the same as last time, I'd say Crusaders or Ventspils would seem like an okay draw

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

I'd say anything other than FH from the main group would be a nightmare for Dundalk. Outside of the main group, Qarabag or Sheriff wouldn't be too bad, but I could be wrong, I don't know much about them.

From a City perspective, assuming the regional groups and seedings are the same as last time, I'd say Crusaders or Ventspils would seem like an okay draw
I think there will be one other seeded team added to their group and it will most likely be Legia or BATE, just from what I read elsewhere. 
I wouldn't give them much chance against Qarabag anyway, a team full of internationals with plenty of European experience and a very difficult trip also.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:33am
Real pity City are likely to be missing so many. The team of right now would give it a good bash especially with the form they're in.

Take out Maguire, O'Connor and Delaney (all likely to be gone after the first European round) and it's a different team

Posted By: Pablo Escobar
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Real pity City are likely to be missing so many. The team of right now would give it a good bash especially with the form they're in.

Take out Maguire, O'Connor and Delaney (all likely to be gone after the first European round) and it's a different team

Maguire is here until the end of July so that would be half way though the third round, wouldn't it!? The other 2 are not clear yet.

Posted By: kevblackcat12
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:45am
Thats the trouble although Maguire is staying until the end of july, can't see burton not wanting delaney back either, he's been first class for us to be fair and has a great future ahead of him

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:40pm
Expectation at Rovers is through at least one round but thanks to Kenny we have lost our seeding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017â" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017â €“18_UEFA_Europa_League

Some tough opponents in there though. Some impossible to lose. So it's down to the draw.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:30pm
It's not regionalised this year.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:46pm
After last years highs can't help but feel this year could be a mare for us, you really would have to hope fo FH again and even then that could be too much for us with the way we are playing

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:15am
Will be tough for Dundalk, have to feel they need FH

AIK (SWE) 9.945
Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR) 7.475
KR Reykjavík (ISL) 5.175
Lyngby (DEN) 4.800
Levadia Tallinn (EST) 4.050

the options for CIty, Shams got the best group and can draw Crusaders or St Johnstone

Shamrock Rovers v
Stjarnan (ISL) 4.175
St Johnstone (SCO) 6.535
Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN) 4.625
Dinamo Minsk (BLR) 10.975
Crusaders (NIR) 3.900

Derry City v 
Haugesund (NOR) 4.165
Ventspils (LVA) 5.725
Vaduz (LIE) 4.450
Midtjylland (DEN) 16.300
Domžale (SVN) 4.125

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:59am
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2018/draws/round=2000877/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2018/draws/round=2000877/index.html

Stream for the draw

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:31am
Dundalk get Rosenborg

Not LOI related, but Celtic could play Linfield! That'll be one to watch!

Posted By: ccfcmurphy
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:47am

Dundalk get Rosenborg

This could be fixed for the 12th of July ... that could get interesting

-------------
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by ccfcmurphy ccfcmurphy wrote:

Dundalk get Rosenborg

This could be fixed for the 12th of July ... that could get interesting

I highly doubt it would happen however. PSNI would more than likely request the dates be switched if it does happen that the first leg is played in Belfast, and I would say UEFA probably realise how delicate the situation is.

Anyway with regards to Dundalk, unfortunately, I can't see them getting past Rosenborg. They won the Norwegian league by 15 points last season and are currently top of the league. It would be a huge task for Dundalk to get through, but then again, we all though the same about BATE...

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:55am
If Dundalk lose to Rosenburg - are they completely out of Europe then?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I think so. They'd have to get through to the 3rd CL qualifying round to drop into the EL qualifying rounds

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:03pm
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2018/draws/round=2000886/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2018/draws/round=2000886/index.html

Stream for the EL draw

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:04pm
Hope we get Tallinn

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:07pm

Hope we get Tallinn

AIK are the team to avoid, IMO

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:07pm

Yeah, that would be them gone.
Rosenborg have a seriously strong squad, including old Paddy Power y-fronts himself, best striker in the world, Nicklas Bendtner.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:10pm
We've get Tallinn. Good draw

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
Levadia Tallinn it is Clap Still a tough game but its the best of a bad bunch

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:13pm
Cheapest way to get to Estonia  ?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:13pm
Derry get Midtjylland. Shamrock Rovers get Starjnan

Posted By: skinnymalinx
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:20pm

Ryanair fly direct to tallinn from Dublin

-------------
beware the ides of march

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:20pm
You would fancy us against Levadia Tallinn.  Crusaders knocked them out to years back, not that we should take them lightly.
I can't see Derry doing anything, like Dundalk they have got a terrible draw; expensive places to travel to and unlikely to get through.
Shams have an interesting one, more famous for their celebrations they have had an up and down few seasons and, given the recent ties between sides from the two nations you would have to think it is a 50/50 chance of progress for them.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:23pm
Just had a look at Levadia's wiki page there, they've finished runners up in the league the last two seasons and have a handful of Estonian international players and one or two former underage Russian players

I don't want to jinx it or anything, but I'm fairly confident of getting through

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:23pm
Tallinn played 16, L0 this year....sounds familiar

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

13 wins and 3 draws but its Flora Tallinn who are top with 14 wins and 2 draws

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:29pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

13 wins and 3 draws but its Flora Tallinn who are top with 14 wins and 2 draws
They did give Slavia Prague a scare last year, losing on away goals after winning the first leg 3-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlX6IMhbdEA" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlX6IMhbdEA

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:31pm
Dundalk wont beat Rosenborg

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
In their last 17 ties in European competition, Levadia Tallinn have won 6 of them, with the victories coming against Macedonian, Polish, Lithuanian, Welsh, San Marinese, and Faroese opposition

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by skinnymalinx skinnymalinx wrote:

Ryanair fly direct to tallinn from Dublin

400 for flights is a bit pricey for such a short flight , hopefully a chartered flight can be arranged or I might have to hold off till round 2 Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:40pm
Boat takes 2 hours from Helsinki either - Norwegian & Finnish fly there from Dublin

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm
Tough draw for us, wouldn't have too may expectations of getting through, play a summer league also so no advantage for us it that.

looking forward to it all the same

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:52pm

Yeah,

Will be different next season though with the rule changes, So cork will get a chance at the EL qualifiers if they get knocked out in first round of CL

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
Mixed bag alright...Derry are definitely out you'd think. You'd fancy last year's Dundalk against Rosenborg but I just can't see it this year.

Cork have a very winable tie and have the best chance of the 4.

Rovers hot the best draw they could have but it's not gonna be easy. Icelandic football is on a high right now

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:38pm
How did Lincoln city get into Europe. Was it because of their cup run last season?

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

How did Lincoln city get into Europe. Was it because of their cup run last season?

Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar

So if we (City) beat Tallinn, we'll play either AEK Larnaca or Lincoln Red Imps

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:42pm

A great chance for Cork to get through to the 3rd qualifying round. 

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

A great chance for Cork to get through to the 3rd qualifying round. 

Hopefully anyway. While I would prefer the Red Imps if we get through, I would still fancy our chances against Larnaca given how well we've played this season and the form Maguire is in

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:49pm
Derry will play either Ferencvaros or Jelgava should they get through their first round

Shamrock Rovers will play Mlada Boleslav if they win their tie

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:02pm

You might want to change your username.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:28pm

LOLLOL

Larnaca will be red hot favourites against City, they knocked Spartak Moscow out last year. It would be a huge scalp to beat them, providing we take care of Levadia first.

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:32pm

Brilliant LOL

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm
Tallinn is a beautiful spot.
Nice people too, fcuk all Russians like Riga.
Mostly Finns and Swedes.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Tallinn is a beautiful spot.
Nice people too, fcuk all Russians like Riga.
Mostly Finns and Swedes.
Around 1/3 of the population of Tallinn is Russian. I used to work with a couple of Estonians who gave me the full run down on the politics of the place, one of those girls sure hated Russians!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 5:28pm
Rovers should get to Czech Republic. Cork have a chance to really push on if management let them.

Dundalk and Derry will get crushed.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:14pm

LOLLOL

Larnaca will be red hot favourites against City, they knocked Spartak Moscow out last year. It would be a huge scalp to beat them, providing we take care of Levadia first.

They were 2-0 down to cliftonville at one stage though and by all accounts fluked it against Moscow. Hard to see that Cork will ever have a better chance of at least getting to the 3rd round, even with Caulfield's conservatism. 

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

LOLLOL

They were 2-0 down to cliftonville at one stage though and by all accounts fluked it against Moscow. Hard to see that Cork will ever have a better chance of at least getting to the 3rd round, even with Caulfield's conservatism. 

It is very rare you can fluke it against a team over two legs though, although I admit to having no knowledge of that tie. I just think people are getting a little carried away, they finished second in a league ranked a lot higher than ours a for a start. They also have a sprinkling of players with international experience, like the Macedonian Ivan Trickovski who scored against Ireland in Dublin in 2011. They seem to have an awful lot of Spanish players too, how good they all are is another thing!
There is certainly a chance, there is no doubting that, but should a potential clash happen they would be favourites.

-------------

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:12pm

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:14pm

LOLLOL

We got to the 3rd round last season

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:43pm

LOLLOL

As mentioned already, we got to the 3rd round last season. And as a matter of interest, if Caulfield had let the shackles off this season, how many extra league goals do you think we'd have added to the 52 we already have?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:01am

I only got this now.
There's a want in you.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Pablo Escobar Pablo Escobar wrote:

LOLLOL

As mentioned already, we got to the 3rd round last season. And as a matter of interest, if Caulfield had let the shackles off this season, how many extra league goals do you think we'd have added to the 52 we already have?
I think team point is that Cork have finally been let play and it turns out are quite good. It will be interesting to see how you approach tidy European opposition.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

LOLLOL

I think team point is that Cork have finally been let play and it turns out are quite good. It will be interesting to see how you approach tidy European opposition.

Ya it's tough when we have a manager holding us back all the time. I can see how a Rovers fan wouldn't understand Confused

What a baffling few replies. We won two rounds last year which is a much as any LOI team has ever won. Our best perfomance was probably away to the eventual quarter-finalists. We are currently making everyone in the league look so pathetically amateur that people are complaining about the standard below us all season. Looking forward to when they are "allowed to play"

-------------

Posted By: Twoinarow
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

LOLLOL

Ya it's tough when we have a manager holding us back all the time. I can see how a Rovers fan wouldn't understand Confused

What a baffling few replies. We won two rounds last year which is a much as any LOI team has ever won. Our best perfomance was probably away to the eventual quarter-finalists. We are currently making everyone in the league look so pathetically amateur that people are complaining about the standard below us all season. Looking forward to when they are "allowed to play"

100% agree

-------------
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm

LOLLOL

Jesus wept. All I said was the draw gives you a chance to match Rovers and Dundalk and get into a group if you approach it like you are approaching league games this season. No one urinated in your cornflakes

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm

LOLLOL

Jesus wept. All I said was the draw gives you a chance to match Rovers and Dundalk and get into a group if you approach it like you are approaching league games this season. No one urinated in your cornflakes

No it doesn't, if by some miracle City qualified for the group stages it would fair surpass previous achievements as it would mean winning 4 European rounds. Not going to happen without a couple of big scalps. Big difference between 4 out of 4 and 2 out of 3. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm

[QUOTE=roverstillidie] [QUOTE=Pablo Escobar] [QUOTE=Joe Stalin] [QUOTE=pre Madonna][QUOTE=FrankosHereNow][QUOTE=smart man]How did Lincoln city get into Europe. Was it because of their cup run last season?

No it doesn't, if by some miracle City qualified for the group stages it would fair surpass previous achievements as it would mean winning 4 European rounds. Not going to happen without a couple of big scalps. Big difference between 4 out of 4 and 2 out of 3. 
Exactly, people seem to struggle with this and I can't understand why! It is pretty straightforward stuff.

-------------

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:39pm

No it doesn't, if by some miracle City qualified for the group stages it would fair surpass previous achievements as it would mean winning 4 European rounds.

maybe you should wait to start comparing achievements made by Rovers and Dundalk with Cork's achievements until after Cork achieve something.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

No it doesn't, if by some miracle City qualified for the group stages it would fair surpass previous achievements as it would mean winning 4 European rounds.

maybe you should wait to start comparing achievements made by Rovers and Dundalk with Cork's achievements until after Cork achieve something.
it's a bizarre reaction to the idea that Cork could do well this year. Imagine the reaction if people said they might flop?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

You would want to be exceptionally dense to take that as an actual comparison, the big clue should be the use of the words 'if by some miracle'.
To be fair though, Shams achievement was beating a Partizan in disarray and a flower shop but it got you the groups, so fair play.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:55pm
Still did it though...

You need to chill out and learn to take a compliment.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:00pm

Still did it though...

Yes, fair play, I still don't see it as comparable to Dundalk's efforts last year, but that is neither here nor there.

I have no idea what you are on about after, what compliment and who isn't chilled out? Today is the most 'chilled' I have been n about 4 years too.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm

Still did it though...

Yes, fair play, I still don't see it as comparable to Dundalk's efforts last year, but that is neither here nor there.

I have no idea what you are on about after, what compliment and who isn't chilled out? Today is the most 'chilled' I have been n about 4 years too.LOL
I see the improving European results as a progression. Clubs started winning a round every year. Then two. Cork and B*hs took some serious scalps. Shels knocked on the door, then Drogs harder. Rovers made the group stage. Then Dundalk who put points on the board. I can see this Cork side going the distance and potentially further as I believe they are stronger on their day than Dundalk were 1/2 years ago. If you chose to be offended by that, good luck to you.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:21pm

Still did it though...

I see the improving European results as a progression. Clubs started winning a round every year. Then two. Cork and B*hs took some serious scalps. Shels knocked on the door, then Drogs harder. Rovers made the group stage. Then Dundalk who put points on the board. I can see this Cork side going the distance and potentially further as I believe they are stronger on their day than Dundalk were 1/2 years ago. If you chose to be offended by that, good luck to you.
Nobody is being offended, I didn't see a compliment as the posts I were referring to was where you and Tony Cousins wrongly gave out to a city fan for going on about achievements after it was fans of other clubs brought it up.

I disagree on progression, I think the league has gone backwards over the past decade, it has just produced some decent teams and has been helped by the back door systems UEFA have in place. The league as a whole has been in decline for a while.

I also don't think City will make the group stages, I hope I am proved wrong but I cannot see it happening at all. We should beat Levadia but I would fancy Larnaca against us, although having Maguire gives us a chance.against them. If we do get through the opposition is, by and large, way out of our league.

City will have a far better chance of making the groups next year due to the backdoor. The only way an Irish team will make the Europa groups is by starting in the champions league

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:27pm
I didn't mention the league progressing. At any given time there are two, three or four strong teams. They change but the best sides are far better than the best sides of old.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:31pm

I didn't mention the league progressing. At any given time there are two, three or four strong teams. They change but the best sides are far better than the best sides of old.

I am not sure about that, there is certainly a case but I am not sure. I think the backdoors etc. might deceive us a bit there.
As it stands now, It isn't unrealistic that we will only have one club go through one round and then we will have wailing and gnashing of teeth in the media of how the league has fallen. I wouldn't use Europe as the sole measuring stick, although it is obviously a good indicator.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:34pm
I was merely making light of "conservative" remarks and comments on the manager. If we score 100 goals this season the dublin meeja will still describe us as a hard tackling strong team who struggle away from home. It's lazy and you can see it seeping through to the public. This is not KR Reykjavik era City with a handful of half arsed players not up for a challenge. It's a different beast entirely. As PM said though by far the best chance for Irish teams is starting in the CL and that's where the breakthroughs will come from. For this year I would be delighted to match last year's impressive achievement of making the third round. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:36pm
I agree, I think beating Levadia and Larnaca would surpass beating Linfield and Hacken. I am not optimistic though.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm

I agree, I think beating Levadia and Larnaca would surpass beating Linfield and Hacken. I am not optimistic though.

Always optimistic, wouldn't be able for the LOI otherwise. I'd say we have a decent chance but would obviously be decent odds to make that stage. Regardless the focus should be on Levadia first.  

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm

Always optimistic, wouldn't be able for the LOI otherwise. I'd say we have a decent chance but would obviously be decent odds to make that stage. Regardless the focus should be on Levadia first.  
Joys of being away, can look at it with a bit more perspective! If I had to predict now  I would go with City getting passed Levadia comfortable enough before a narrow defeat to Larnaca. Maguire will score in both ties before heading off to sunny Preston.
I think Derry and Dundalk will both exit quietly and Shams will narrowly go out to St Jarnan( as they are referred to by Eir Sports, how hard is it to copy a name from a screen?).

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:53pm

Joys of being away, can look at it with a bit more perspective! If I had to predict now  I would go with City getting passed Levadia comfortable enough before a narrow defeat to Larnaca. Maguire will score in both ties before heading off to sunny Preston.
I think Derry and Dundalk will both exit quietly and Shams will narrowly go out to St Jarnan( as they are referred to by Eir Sports, how hard is it to copy a name from a screen?).

To be fair PM you said we'd take a beating from Hacken last year too Wink For the others I'd agree with you except I think Shams will go through and Dawk will have some hope before ending in another valiant loser LOI situation. Derry to take a hammering sadly I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:11pm
The crucial thing for us is to keep the tie alive for the home leg. If we are in with a shout I'd back us against any of the 3 possible opponents in the first 2 rounds. Keeping a potential tie alive in Larnaca would be very tough though. After that, I'd agree that we'll likely exit the competition, barring an epic upset.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:11pm

To be fair PM you said we'd take a beating from Hacken last year too Wink For the others I'd agree with you except I think Shams will go through and Dawk will have some hope before ending in another valiant loser LOI situation. Derry to take a hammering sadly I think.
I thought we would and was delighted to be proved wrong, we got a bit of luck and capitalised on it. I probably overestimated them a bit alright though.
Yeah, Rosenborg aren't what they were so Dundalk might give them a bit of a game but run out of steam. I can't see Derry getting within 4 or 5 goals of the Danes.
I think the past few years have shown there isn't much between the better sides in Ireland or Iceland, which says a lot about how their football is run. I don't think there will be much in it, it depends how much they learned from last year but it wouldn't surprise me if the underestimated the opposition again.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:19pm

I thought we would and was delighted to be proved wrong, we got a bit of luck and capitalised on it. I probably overestimated them a bit alright though.
Yeah, Rosenborg aren't what they were so Dundalk might give them a bit of a game but run out of steam. I can't see Derry getting within 4 or 5 goals of the Danes.
I think the past few years have shown there isn't much between the better sides in Ireland or Iceland, which says a lot about how their football is run. I don't think there will be much in it, it depends how much they learned from last year but it wouldn't surprise me if the underestimated the opposition again.

Having a football association more interested in developing the game than attending dinner dances helps.
http://www.the42.ie/how-iceland-chose-to-spend-euro-2016-money-2941792-Aug2016/" rel="nofollow -
http://www.the42.ie/how-iceland-chose-to-spend-euro-2016-money-2941792-Aug2016/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the42.ie/how-iceland-chose-to-spend-euro-2016-money-2941792-Aug2016/

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:44pm

Who underestimated what opposition?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:47pm
I assumed you underestimated RoPs, or were you just that bad?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:56pm

We were awful. Worst team I have seen us play in Europe. They had 3 shots over the 180 and all 3 went in. Was the beginning of the end of Fenlon.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:01pm

We were awful. Worst team I have seen us play in Europe. They had 3 shots over the 180 and all 3 went in. Was the beginning of the end of Fenlon.
And that is why I assumed you underestimated them, it was obviously wishful thinking!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:55pm

And that is why I assumed you underestimated them, it was obviously wishful thinking!
They were exactly what we thought they would be. Rovers blew it big time

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:17pm
Eir sport showing Cork City's match vs Tallin Clap . Sound lads

Makes you wonder what RTE invest there money in these days

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
I fancy cork will get through that one handy enough

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I fancy cork will get through that one handy enough
I had Hibs of Malta's game against the Estonian champions on for a bit last night and the Estonian team looked very ordinary. I would be disappointed if City don't come through.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:58pm

5pm on a Thursday afternoon. Even as a Cork City Shareholder I won't be going out of my way to watch that. Can't blame RTE for this one

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:07pm

5pm on a Thursday afternoon. Even as a Cork City Shareholder I won't be going out of my way to watch that. Can't blame RTE for this one

Last Thursday they showed Cameroon vs Australia at 5pm

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:18pm
Fancy ourselves and Rovers to get through, Rovers showing a bit of form recently. Would take a 1-1 draw in Estonia tomorrow and finish the job in turners cross next week.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:25pm

Last Thursday they showed Cameroon vs Australia at 5pm
The two things are in no way comparable though. The rights for the Confederations Cup are presumably relatively cheap, and can only be shown on free to air, they may even be tied in some way to the World Cup rights. You also buy the whole tournament, not game-by-game and it costs them very little to show it, have they even sent commentators out there? By having the rights you may as well show the whole thing. There would also, sadly, be more people who would tune in to watch Cameroon than Cork City.
There would be limited appeal to showing tomorrow's game, I am surprised Eir are going for it but am obviously happy they are, and I assume they got it cheap but you can't give out about RTÉ every time.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
Am hoping Iceland TV might be showing the Rovers game tomorrow night so there might a stream floating around 

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:29am

You won't be going out of your way to watch your team playing in Europe on TV?

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

You won't be going out of your way to watch your team playing in Europe on TV?
It sum's up Cork people in a nutshell, turn their backs on everything even their own, a fckin horrible breed LOL

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Twoinarow
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:17pm
Rovers a big price tonight? 12/5 

-------------
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Rovers a big price tonight? 12/5 

For anyone who doesn't bet , this means if you put 5Euro on Rovers you will get zero back

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net