You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Kelly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

he’s carrying a few pounds 

There does seem to be more chin than before.

Too many stroopenwaffles 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 1:31am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Too many stroopenwaffles 

The new Andy Reid?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:19am
Lean pork kelly 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:36am
Liam Belly
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Too many stroopenwaffles 

The new Andy Reid?

That was exactly what I thought when I saw him come on last night! LOL

As it happens, I was at WHL when Reid made his Spurs debut from the bench in 2005 (he was 23 at the time). It's barely an exagerration to say there was a collective gasp from the Spurs fans when he took to the field, he being so obviously overweight. He went on to make just 20 league starts for Spurs before they offloaded him at a cut-price £3m to Charlton 18 months later.

Meanwhile, Spurs had also signed Michael Dawson from Forest at the same time, for a combined fee of £8m, with Reid accounting for at least half. Dawson, 18 mths older, wasn't considered so naturally talented as Reid, and didn't make his own Spurs debut for another couple of months.

But he went on to play over 250 times for Spurs, plus a few England caps, and at 36 is still a valued squad member back at Forest, playing 15 times so far this season.

I know Reid experienced injury problems towards the end of his career (possibly not helped by "lifestyle" issues), but you'd better hope Kelly doesn't follow his example, since Reid was one of the worst professionals I can remember at Spurs.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Too many stroopenwaffles 

The new Andy Reid?

That was exactly what I thought when I saw him come on last night! LOL

As it happens, I was at WHL when Reid made his Spurs debut from the bench in 2005 (he was 23 at the time). It's barely an exagerration to say there was a collective gasp from the Spurs fans when he took to the field, he being so obviously overweight. He went on to make just 20 league starts for Spurs before they offloaded him at a cut-price £3m to Charlton 18 months later.

Meanwhile, Spurs had also signed Michael Dawson from Forest at the same time, for a combined fee of £8m, with Reid accounting for at least half. Dawson, 18 mths older, wasn't considered so naturally talented as Reid, and didn't make his own Spurs debut for another couple of months.

But he went on to play over 250 times for Spurs, plus a few England caps, and at 36 is still a valued squad member back at Forest, playing 15 times so far this season.

I know Reid experienced injury problems towards the end of his career (possibly not helped by "lifestyle" issues), but you'd better hope Kelly doesn't follow his example, since Reid was one of the worst professionals I can remember at Spurs.

Have you more detail on this?
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:57pm
Well 'Fed Kelly'

Machine Gut Kelly
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 1:17pm
Big Belly Kelly
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm
Kelly's free kick goal against Newcastle was spectacular but he was not the best Irish player on the field ( nor was Ciaran Clark , who wasn't on very long ) . Star man was midfielder Mark Sykes , capped often for Northern Ireland under-21s and called up for the senior squad but yet to make his senior debut . Sykes is from a strongly nationalist area of Belfast and still only 22 . This is precisely the sort of player who should be on the Republic's radar . He should at least be approached about the possibility of switching . He is a gifted player who is only going to get better .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Er, the minor detail that no sooner had they signed him for a (then) hefty fee, but they couldn't wait to get rid of him again, even at a loss?

And the fact that Forest excepted, he never stayed anywhere very long.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 5:00pm

Er, the minor detail that no sooner had they signed him for a (then) hefty fee, but they couldn't wait to get rid of him again, even at a loss?

Suppose 10 years at Forest is not long enough.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm

Comfortable at Forest = didn't have to push himself.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 5:50pm
Andy Reid had question marks regarding his fitness for his whole career.

A quality player on his day with excellent technical ability, but jaffa cakes... 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:03pm

He is still an ever present at Kentucky FC.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:44pm
He is still an ever present at Kentucky FC.
[/QUOTE]

😂

Voted MVC year after year
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 10:54pm
Gone to Rochdale. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 12:44am
Jaysus remember this lad? Billy big balls thinking he was too good for Reading and Ireland LOLLOLLOL
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Jaysus remember this lad? Billy big balls thinking he was too good for Reading and Ireland LOLLOLLOL
From looking at his wiki his spell at Feyenoord really was a disaster. They paid a fee to sign him from Reading and then only played him in a single league match, then loaned him out for the remaining 2 and a half years of his contract before releasing him. Embarrassed

Edited by giveittochristie - 25 Aug 2021 at 9:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142>
  Share Topic